Customer Support Maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Wilkinson87

Destroyers dmg dealing

28 comments in this topic

[TRRC]
[TRRC]
Players
244 posts
6,164 battles

Hello guys.

Yesterday I had a couple round with my new, raw kagero.Of course in that couple of games most it was in TX battles, donno why was I suprised:D So i tried kagero with TRB setup and tried diferent torpedo launch angles, but realised worthles cuz everyone dodge the fishes-.-i sticked to the roll whats given to all destroyers, spot.....its good to spot for the team, happy to see hundreds and hundred dmg uppon my spoting, win the game, and end score Im the last......This is so dissapointing, u doing ur best to dodhe radar cruisers, keep them on spot, and at the end the game awards you with 90k silver and 1,5k exp....lol....next idea, dont give a flying fck for spoting, go for dmg...ends up in lostXDThis is a joke:D...

So....

Got an idea, and Im curios what people think about this.

What if the dmg uppon your spotting added to the real dmg score, only for DDs.

Leave a comment here, I want to know what people think about this.

[THESO]
[THESO]
2,166 posts
7,191 battles

Kagero with TRB is one of the best (may be the best) fish boat in her own tier..

yeah hard to hit with torps you have to get closer than your torp range.

you have 5.4k detectability, I was using her for torping in and around 6.5 - 7kms.. tops

But on the otherhand, I totally agree with you, spotting damage must be included into the XP calculations, more than the current cituation.

• Cool 1

[_OPC_]
Players
442 posts
12,979 battles
10 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

Kagero with TRB is one of the best (may be the best) fish boat in her own tier..

you have 5.4k detectability, I was using her for torping in and around 6.5 - 7kms.. tops

But on the otherhand, I totally agree with you, spotting damage must be included into the XP calculations, more than the current cituation.

Just like potential damage, damage/kills from friendly smokes etc ... but as we all know WG is fine with the current rewards after all it will be way too hard for the average potato to understand this....

And most fked up by the current reward system are CVs, I can do 150k+ dmg, 200k+ spotting dmg, kill 35+ planes (T9 CV in TX heavy battle) and still be outside top 3 ... I know the incoming rework ...  lol

About old IJN DDs line you have too be really patient and sacrifice something to RNG god (we all love the 2 bbs gaps in torps :P)

[ONE2]
Players
2,934 posts
17,547 battles

@ColonelPete is right. I also have a Kagerou with TRB and Torpedo Acceleration (so 8km torps) too. Ain't no-one easily dodging those... :cap_like: However, radar is a problem, as you have to get close and well within the radar range to actually use them. So some verry careful playing is to be practiced first to live long enough. You can do plenty damage, when playing careful and smart, even with the radars in game, just bait them, keep you distance until they have used it and then use the 2 minute cooldown window to make a torp run on something nearby. Escape and repeat. It is a bit tricky, especially if there are enemy DD's around but still doable.:cap_win:

Oh yeah, @Excavatus is right too. You have to get close, I usually try to sneak to about 6km from the target before launching torps. You see, these aren't exactly homing torpedoes, they will blindly go wherever aimed at, regardless of where the target goes and it will take them a long time to get there. Therefore the further away you launch your torps from, the more likely you will miss the target because even the slightest random change in target's course or speed will foul your aim completely. This is why you need to use your concealment and get close, so the chance that they will suddenly change direction or speed would be as small as possible. :cap_old:

Also, when launching torps, you must plan a bit how you go about it. Your salvos should overlap each other a bit (do not launch both salvos at  exactly the same aiming point) so that the torps will scatter more and better cover the gaps between each volley. This is taking into account that your target will surely try to dodge them, as they indeed should be doing, and by planning for that you will increase your chances to score a hit or few.:fish_boom:

It is always best to position yourself slightly ahead and to side of the target to improve chances of a torp hit. Launching torps at a target, which is moving away from you is usually futile as, they will be easy to doge and may run out of range before reaching it. Also avoid launching torps directly from the front, as they will likewise be easy to dodge.:cap_look:

• Cool 1

Players
2,565 posts
15,503 battles
52 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Good players spot, cap and do damage in DD.

These things are not mutually exclusive.

They are at high tier. The correct play is usually spotting first, damage if you can second, contesting caps last.

[CATS]
Players
19,985 posts
12,420 battles

A match lasts up to 20 minutes. Enough time for all three, even at high Tier.

When you want to do it all in the first three minutes, you tend to get sunk.

Players
260 posts
4,654 battles

1) That might be a cool idea
2)View youtube videos about how to torp. Learn by heart where the prediction line will turn if the enemy goes one or the other way.Then start predicting based on your minimap.Your main damage comes from predicting where enemy bbs will turn to get safe.
3)Figure out how to bait radars while playing at their max range.Let em waste it and go back in to keep em spotted.Lines like " Please focus x radar cause i cant cap or get closer" works very nice most of the times.

Oh, and start the match with a line " Trb Kagero goes to x cap. Please support cause i cant cap alone"

[FJAKA]
Players
2,269 posts
336 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

Good players spot, cap and do damage in DD.

These things are not mutually exclusive.

but last one, and least important (DMG dealing) is the hardest with IJN ships

[FJAKA]
Players
2,269 posts
336 battles
1 hour ago, Excavatus said:

yes, it is best of fish ships, but still they lack (in dmg) so much, and spot dmg is almost negleckted

Izrezak.PNG

Players
986 posts
5,083 battles

It depends a lot on map, team composition, spawn, captain skills etc. Since you are asking about her specifically I guess I will pick her next for the small dd guide series I'm doing. Might take a couple of days as 12 hour shifts plus commute don't really allow for long nights. 

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
2,166 posts
7,191 battles
59 minutes ago, veslingr said:

yes, it is best of fish ships, but still they lack (in dmg) so much, and spot dmg is almost negleckted

Izrezak.PNG

29k average damage for kagero really reflects the window cleaning capacity of the general population. It is less than 2 torp hits per match.. I can't even comment on it. 

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
6,593 posts
7,498 battles
2 hours ago, morgoroth said:

Just like potential damage, damage/kills from friendly smokes etc ... but as we all know WG is fine with the current rewards after all it will be way too hard for the average potato to understand this....

Actually what they said was, that ppl would "abuse the system". So how do you abuse that actually? By playing BETTER? wow, id gladly have players abusing the system then if it would mean, that a DD rather spots for me than going dakka-dakka in his own smoke.

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
1,869 posts
4,633 battles

100% agree that spotting damage should get counted in xp, i mean why isnt it already? There is even a system in place to track it, so implementing it would be like 3 lines of code tops lol.

Also wgs comment about "abusing the system", we have spotting damage in world of tanks, and have had it for like 4 years in that game, all it means is that light tanks(destroyers) scout more, and shoot less, thats not a bad thing.

[_OPC_]
Players
442 posts
12,979 battles
11 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Actually what they said was, that ppl would "abuse the system". So how do you abuse that actually? By playing BETTER? wow, id gladly have players abusing the system then if it would mean, that a DD rather spots for me than going dakka-dakka in his own smoke.

Ask WG ... the funny thing is you can say that good players abuse their knowledge  where to shoot / knowing armour scheme to deal a lot of damage ... just lol

Typical BS from WG protecting vast number of potatoes ... and they don't want this ($$$$$) -> that's why we have so much RNG in the game and that's why WG will cripple CVs (as this is the only class that doesn't relay so much on RNG ...if any).

[_OPC_]
Players
442 posts
12,979 battles
4 minutes ago, thiextar said:

100% agree that spotting damage should get counted in xp, i mean why isnt it already? There is even a system in place to track it, so implementing it would be like 3 lines of code tops lol.

Also wgs comment about "abusing the system", we have spotting damage in world of tanks, and have had it for like 4 years in that game, all it means is that light tanks(destroyers) scout more, and shoot less, thats not a bad thing.

Yes it is, but this is way too much for average potato to understand this .... that's why only that counts is damage numbers!

Players
1,387 posts

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor Raw meat cooking

Oops, my Kagero is still raw! :Smile_trollface:

Ontopic: With all the gunboat-DDs and radarships being added its rather difficult to play her with great success. 

But my golden rule for playing DDs is "The more HP you preserve for the late game, the more succesful you will be in dealing damage."

If you manage to stay alive for 15 minutes then picking out single targets for torpedo-attacks becomes a lot easier. 

So I'd recommend playing as safe as possible to increase your survivability-ratio (let the team cry about you not pushing into caps at the start) and with it your average dmg.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
19,985 posts
12,420 battles

This only works when someone spots the enemy DD and they get taken out.

Hard to do torp strikes on BB when enemy DD cover them.

Guess who does the spotting when there is no friendly CV....

[TRRC]
[TRRC]
Players
244 posts
6,164 battles

Yesterday I was crying to our midway to get rid of the 2 enemy fighter above me, while my crew on kagero pushed the ship too, to get far away from hindenburg HE shells:Ddd luckily 20 sec nailbiting time fighters arrived:Ddd

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,934 posts
17,547 battles

Well done then @Wilkinson87 Also keep in mind that even though it is usually a good idea to keep your AA turned off -  You can also use your own AA to do the job, especially if enemy CV is the same tier or lower than you. You can try short focused AA burst to kill off one or 2 enemy fighters keeping you spotted. At this point there's no harm done, since you have already been spotted anyways. So give it a whack - Basically, just let the AA be off at first and when needed, click directly on the fighter(s) you are targeting when they are closest to you (same like focusing AA with a Cruiser or secondaries in BB), this will intensify and focus the AA on those planes and it will immediately make a burst of focus-fire and keep going. The net effect often is that you shoot down at least one, sometimes 2 planes keeping you spotted and become invisible after that (just remember to turn the AA back off afterwards). :Smile_Default:

If no CV planes are available (they might be too far or otherwise engaged), you can also drive close to a nearby friendly Cruiser or a BB for some additional AA muscle until the fighters get tired of losing more planes and give up the ghost - Or get shot down, either is fine. Of course, this only works, if there are any in the vicinity. :cap_cool:

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,654 posts
16,767 battles

Your number one mistake is playing a Kagero.

If you wanna play a high tier torp boat, play Fletcher instead.

I'm not even joking.

[BOBS]
Beta Tester
422 posts
13,322 battles

Kagero with TRB and RL skill is great, had several 150K+ games since switching to RL in the last few days, totally different boat to smoke play non TRB, 187k best game so far.

[TRRC]
[TRRC]
Players
244 posts
6,164 battles

Normaly I buy TX ships from free exp(yes I do it,dont start moan about this), cuz nowadays t8 is in TX games, so earn8ng exp is horrible, but a T8 dd can survive in TX, thats why I started to grind with it.When I buy a TX ship from free xp, I do lot training rooom to get know about the ship, and also read forums about it.Anyway, will see that shima will be grinded or not:D

[SM0KE]
Players
3,446 posts
8,910 battles

I agree that WOWS should reward spotting a lot more (as alluded to elsewhere, WOT has a pretty serviceable system in place that could be adapted).

What I've been finding very frustrating lately (especially at higher tiers, but mainly because it matters more there) is that I get the impression that a lot of players really don't think much about sensible target prioritisation in the context of their team makeup. I may be being unfair here, but surely it is common sense to blast radar ships if you have stealth-orientated ships on your side (IJN DDs in particular), to blast gun DDs if your side has torp ones, and so on.

As others have said, a DD that survives deep into the battle can be very influential; doing this is rather hard though, if no-one is shooting the ships that exist to prevent you doing so.

An extreme example is Asashio: I'm grinding silver at the moment to equip my new Feltcher, so mine has been getting quite a bit of use lately. As everyone knows (and complains about), she is spectacularly situational; equally, she can be a significant plus for your side if you can keep her alive - fantastic spotter, and death to BBs. Thing is, if you have one on your side, you're far more likely to win if your BBs blow up the enemy cruisers, rather than just damage farming BBs.

I don't think this problem is unique to DD drivers though - the other classes must get just as cross when people are similarly dumb with target selection.

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles
6 hours ago, Wilkinson87 said:

and at the end the game awards you with 90k silver and 1,5k exp....lol....

Still more than you get from 4 kills, 100k dmg standard coop game with zulu and charlie london on standard account. As coop main I'd love to have your low earnings problem.

Sign in to follow this