Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DeletedUser

Captain/Ship Build advice

12 comments in this topic

Players
0 posts

Hello all

Yep, me again looking for more cap/ship advice ;).

I am 'grinding' a couple of lines at the moment, and am unsure of the best route to follow:

USN BB's:

I currently have a 11pt captain on the New Mex, with PT, AR, BoS, CE, and 1 spare point. I am wanting to take this captain all the way up the line, and am wondering what should my next skill be? My 'expected' final 19pt build (if i ever get there) is PT, EM, AR, BoS, SI, CE and FP. I'm leaning towards EM next, but am also considering a full 4pt skill (FP) next instead? Also, am wondering if planning on BFT might be better than SI as I can run prem consumables... or maybe JoAT and PM instead because secondary USN BB's are not optimal?

USN CA's:

I have a 12pt captain on the Baltimore, with PT, AR, BFT and CE, and 2 spare points. Again, this captain will continue to Des Moins, and struggling to plan the build. I'm wondering if I should get LS now, or wait for the 13th point and get SI? Not sure where to go after that - EL is useful at the moment, but it kind of loses effect at Des Moins so am reluctant to spec it in... although Buffalo could do with it so maybe I should?

Also, can you recommended the optimal Modules for each ship (line? ship?) to compliment these cap builds? Concealment in slot 5 and Main arm mod in slot 1 are probably the obvious ones for both lines, but then...?

Thanks for your time all!

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
1,589 posts
3,113 battles

Well on the US BB I'd definitely take EM over AR as the first 2pt skill, Just so you can get those turrets round a bit quicker, and I take SU as 3pts to get the extra heal, I find that more use than BoS. My 2nd 3ptr would be BFT, you can never have too much AA.

• Cool 1

Players
0 posts
8 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Well on the US BB I'd definitely take EM over AR as the first 2pt skill, Just so you can get those turrets round a bit quicker, and I take SU as 3pts to get the extra heal, I find that more use than BoS. My 2nd 3ptr would be BFT, you can never have too much AA.

Thanks ;). I think my (flawed) theory on taking AR was that I potato so much at positioning in the slow low tiers, that I'm going to be low health pretty quick so I would get maximum benefit from it and deal maybe just that 1 more salvo before I die an ignoble early death.  I'm stuck with that choice now, but will get EM as next skill.

I took BoS because my biggest bane (like most BBabys) is fire. SI can be kind of mitigated by loading prem consumables... and it's uncommon (not rare though) for me to be in a position where I can use more than 4 heals.

I forgot about the AA benefit of BFT :fish_palm::cap_rambo:

[SCRUB]
Players
3,423 posts
9,203 battles

Hey,

Im gonna give you what I have (will have). Unless something changes.

I always try to go for optimal builds with "as least as possible" changes when transfering the captain on next ship. 

May be not optimal, but its what I want (feel).

USN BB (My Montana build):

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000100010100001000100000119

* full tank build. I like it. Currently there are not that many CVs ingame, so AFT does not feel that important. Might change in the future.

Modules:

Spoiler

Rik0ua3.png

* AA guns mod helps with defending from CV. Concealment mod helps you ambush broadside ships. Improved dispersion is always a holly grail on BBs.

USN CA (My future Des Moines build (John Doe - ex Steven Seagal)):

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1110000000000010000001100000100119

* Currently using this on Balti, If I would not have John Doe (expert loader buff) I would probably ditch PM and EL for EM.

Modules:

Spoiler

SfWwWOf.png

* Radar mod. Why not? You are radar ship. AA mod for "sky cancer", rudder and engine are "good enough", so DMG control party seems more viable. Concealment and Range mod.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
2,976 posts
18,246 battles

I have john doe at dm, pt-el-em-si-ce-aft-fp and yes radar module, he also crosses over to missouri as needed

• Cool 2

Players
7,566 posts
9,319 battles

USN battleboats from tier 7 up gets 45s turret traverse time, which is manageable without EM, even more so as ships themselves get increasingly clumsy with tiers up. Personally I run rather generic build (PT, AR, SI, CE, AFT, BoS, JoaT) on them, if you aren't concerned as much with carriers, you can replace AFT with Fire Prevention for extra tanking.

Upgrades wise, I tack AA range, DamaConMod2, Concealment and accuracy upgrade (tier 9+) on them, though faster reload is an option as well.

US heavy cruisers I run with PT, EM, SI, CE, AFT, Demo, AR. My prime reason for using EM is to allow turrets to keep on target during hard maneuvers and IIRC they just barely do so, especially if you add reload upgrade, which downgrades turret traverse. AFT is on both to complement AA, supposed American trait:Smile_smile: though its bit of a waste if you don't team up with CV

• Cool 1

Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles

The thing is, everyone plays a little different.

I myself go after the recommended "Skills" on http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships for each ship and them modifie it with "how I play".

Takes a little fiddeling around but you learn way more about your ship and "how you play" than doing it the "lazy man way" and just do what some guide says.

Some goes for "Upgrades".

• Cool 1

Players
0 posts

thanks for the feedback all. This is most helpful... dutifully bookmarked :cap_like:

@Mandalorianer - I agree with not just blindly following a 'guide' - which is kind of why I like coming to the forum. You get different builds and people generally explain the reason they choose such a build over another, which helps me when I 'tweak' according to playstyle.

• Cool 1

Players
1,221 posts
6,353 battles

These setups are what I intend for US BB's.

BB's up until New Mexico, maybe Colorado as well. I don't know since I sold her.

BB's from North Carolina and up.

I'm not sure yet about what to pick for the heavy cruisers, and how viable picks like Expert Marksman or Expert Loader are.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,423 posts
9,203 battles
2 hours ago, Mandalorianer said:

The thing is, everyone plays a little different.

I myself go after the recommended "Skills" on http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships for each ship and them modifie it with "how I play".

Takes a little fiddeling around but you learn way more about your ship and "how you play" than doing it the "lazy man way" and just do what some guide says.

Some goes for "Upgrades".

Mind that experimenting costs real money. One of the things I resent WG is havin  to pay to redistribute my hard earned pts. Better toget info from other players / community contributors. Just my opinion.

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts
On 28/08/2018 at 10:48 AM, nambr9 said:

Hey,

Im gonna give you what I have (will have). Unless something changes.

I always try to go for optimal builds with "as least as possible" changes when transfering the captain on next ship. 

May be not optimal, but its what I want (feel).

USN BB (My Montana build):

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000100010100001000100000119

* full tank build. I like it. Currently there are not that many CVs ingame, so AFT does not feel that important. Might change in the future.

Modules:

Hide contents

Rik0ua3.png

* AA guns mod helps with defending from CV. Concealment mod helps you ambush broadside ships. Improved dispersion is always a holly grail on BBs.

USN CA (My future Des Moines build (John Doe - ex Steven Seagal)):

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1110000000000010000001100000100119

* Currently using this on Balti, If I would not have John Doe (expert loader buff) I would probably ditch PM and EL for EM.

Modules:

Reveal hidden contents

SfWwWOf.png

* Radar mod. Why not? You are radar ship. AA mod for "sky cancer", rudder and engine are "good enough", so DMG control party seems more viable. Concealment and Range mod.

Having just completed Iowa grind and bought the Montana this was useful, my Captain moved from Iowa was already set up that way and I was deciding on modules, this is has confirmed my first thoughts, thanks :cap_like:

• Cool 1

Players
2,109 posts
15,278 battles

My 19-pt US captain currently has PM, EM, SI, CE as the basic skills, plus AR and V, and AFT to extend the AA bubble. This is basically the Flamu Montana build and works great on all US BBs, I had this on Colorado, recently transferred to North Carolina, and also alternating on Texas and Missouri to grind more elite commander XP.

And the astonishing thing is, it also works on almost all my other US premiums. Indianapolis, Kidd, Smith and even Atlanta(!), though not quite really not ideal, are completely viable this way. In fact the only US premiums this would be really bad on are the carriers. So the current daily routine comprises a round on each US premium as well as the BB he is currently specialized for, just to take advantage of the first daily win bonus, punctuated by the same with the German 19-pointer and Ken the IJN captain I'm currently aiming to max out.

Playing for the daily three containers with the extra 50% commander XP signal flag nets 55,500 commander XP per day. Focusing that on the one captain you want to max out, you need a little over three days to take a commander from three to 10 skill points, a little over 11 days for 14 points, and 31 days to fully max him out.

Now the German guy is possibly not quite as universal since he needs to be specialized for brawling, it's currently PM, AR, SI, AFT as the basic build, plus EM, plus DE and IFHE to really kick up those secondaries. I wouldn't need EM on Friedrich der Große, nor most other German ships, but König Albert would be a real pain without it. Would love to be able to squeeze manual secondaries in there somehow, which were hilarious on the Bismarck, but there you go. The guy is also ok for Scharnhorst and Graf Spee. Probably wouldn't be great on German premium DDs but I can definitely see him on Emden and Prinz Eugen as well. The upcoming Prinz Eitel Friedrich might merit changes.

Ken the IJN guy sits currently at 17 points, of which I am using only 15 on the Amagi since I'm saving for the full Flamu Yamato build. PM, EM, SI, CE plus AR and V, still missing: AFT. All my IJN premiums are low tier and it doesn't really matter. I would love to have a full-time manual secondaries IJN commander for Mikasa, which I tried during the recent week of free skill point redistribution. But even AFT plus the signal flag stretches the secondaries range only to 3.8 km, which is still not enough to fully make up for the bad main guns. So the little ship stays silly, no matter what you do.

The Flamu builds make a good starting point even for non-unicums, and then you can experiment when there is free skill point redistribution, like at the start and after the end of Clan Battle season. I generally look these builds up and add them to the google table for each new ship as I unlock them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UDqctb8pVpiyYBZZdgE7LzkwphdJ6hjUQpgRA_9CZpk/edit?usp=sharing

I already had a lot more but there was some data loss through user stupidity.

It is really important you unlock at least one Tier VIII ship as soon as possible so you can participate in Clan Battles. Doing at least one CB gets you two weeks of free redistribution and this experimenting is about the most fun I've had in WoWs so far.

Sign in to follow this