Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Pierre_Jean_Ronarch

Nagato and overpenetration

7 comments in this topic

Players
9 posts
1,793 battles

Good Day all

I just moved to tier VII Japanese Battleship Nagato. As many people, I have problems facing overpenetration with its AP shells. I browsed the internet searching for advices and saw nothing very helpful.

I am writing this topic to have some advices on how to score citadels with this ship.

One thing I rode was to aim low on enemies ship waterline. Around here :aiming.png.b8c46a95a6213140ceda570a4100ab32.png

Thats good but it does not do the trick for me.

I saw on this forum https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/59528-armor-penetration-curves that Nagato shells penetrate 500 mm armor at 15 km. I then checked the numbers on a few same tier cruisers and found that their citadel was typically protected by something like 120 mm armor making overpenetration systematic at this range.

So far the only solutions I have found are :

• Staying far away from action so that I am at the right tip of the shells penetration curves
  • Aiming for heavily armored targets
  • Switching to HE against cruisers

None of these solutions seem really good so I would like to get more advices

Thanks a lot in advance

[POI--]
Players
5,895 posts
7,229 battles

No, 120 mm plating does not give an overpen due to having 500 mm of pen. 500 mm of penetration means it will punch through up to 500 mm of armour, but what matters is the arming treshold, the thickness a sheet of plating has to have to trigger the time-delayed fuze (in Nagato's case, 68 mm). If you shoot for example at a 13 mm plating broadside DD, the shell will never arm, because 13 mm is not enough and the shell will continue penning through armour until it either runs out of penetrative power or hits something that triggers the fuze. If a Nagato hits the 20 mm plating of a cruiser's citadel protection, the 500 mm pen means it will punch through, but as 120 mm is more than enough to arm the shell, 0.033 seconds after hitting the plate, the shell will detonate. If the shell is still inside the citadel then, it'll be a citadel.

Also, you are aiming at the waterline, but if you snipe at the bow, obviously it overpens, because T7 ships have 25 mm bow plating that doesn't arm BB shells. Aim for the waterline underneath the gun turrets (with lead adjustments as appropriate).

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
19,854 posts
12,377 battles

Overpenetration is not caused by too much penetration power.

Overpenetration is caused by:

• the shell not arming (Nagato shells needs 68mm armor at the target to arm the fuse)
  • the shell flying too fast and exiting the ship before the shell can explode

A ship with 70mm armor that is wide enough can easily be citadeled by Nagato. At 15km basicly any ship should be wide enough as the shells slowed down and they hit the target at an angle.

Players
9 posts
1,793 battles

Thanks a lot yo both of you, that's pretty cool since it explains some stuff I did not catch from how it works videos.

I see here https://mustanghx.github.io/ship_ap_calculator/ that at 10 kms, the shells still fly something like 555 m/s so 555 * 0.033 = 18 m. It is more than the typical size of a cruiser but less than a BB.

This means : at 10 kms, I should be able to citadel BB but not cruisers. Is that correct ?

[CATS]
Players
19,854 posts
12,377 battles

Depends on the cruiser.

You should not forget, if the the cruisers angles, the relative thickness of the cruiser increases.

It is also unknown if armor decreases speed of shells. I assume it does, as defeating armor decreases the armor penetration capability of the shell, which is highly dependent on speed.

Players
9 posts
1,793 battles

It would make sense that a shell travelling in a ship fly slower thant a shells travelling in the air, but as long as Wargaming staff as not said so it may not be implemented yet.

I guess you sya it depends on cruiser acording to the targets size, but i understand what you mean.

Any way thanks a lot ! Last batlle, I scored 2 citadels on an Algerie thinking of this discussion.

Anyway. Fell free to add other tips and advices for Nagato.

[COR3]
Players
965 posts
11,416 battles
On 8/28/2018 at 5:27 PM, Pierre_Jean_Ronarch said:

Thanks a lot yo both of you, that's pretty cool since it explains some stuff I did not catch from how it works videos.

I see here https://mustanghx.github.io/ship_ap_calculator/ that at 10 kms, the shells still fly something like 555 m/s so 555 * 0.033 = 18 m. It is more than the typical size of a cruiser but less than a BB.

This means : at 10 kms, I should be able to citadel BB but not cruisers. Is that correct ?

Depends on the Cruiser but most have at least the 68mm of Armor midships on their belt so you would be able to theoretically citadel them all. 

Sign in to follow this