Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hades_warrior

Hindenburg armor nerfed?

116 comments in this topic

Players
2,199 posts
3,844 battles

So, where to start with.. Im listening the stories for a very long time now about German cruisers Roon and Hindenburg, how tanky they are, how troll armor they have, how easy they are to play with, some people even call Hindi the best cruiser in the game.

But, I dont feel that magic at all. I know I have very low amount of battles with it, about 15 counting few CBs, but still, can feel that something is not right.

The problem is that however I position myself against enemys, no matter on distances, angles, bow-on, backward, broadside, it doesnt matter, I get citadeled with every 2nd salvo. That says a lot when even Missouri with bad guns and Bismarck can citadel me with no problem.

I even had better results with Hipper and experienced less armor issues on it.

Did I miss some nerf on Hindi as his popularity over the past few months+ was very high, or am I just THAT much unlucky with this ship?

[POI--]
Players
5,927 posts
7,236 battles
12 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

So, where to start with.. Im listening the stories for a very long time now about German cruisers Roon and Hindenburg, how tanky they are, how troll armor they have, how easy they are to play with, some people even call Hindi the best cruiser in the game.

But, I dont feel that magic at all. I know I have very low amount of battles with it, about 15 counting few CBs, but still, can feel that something is not right.

The problem is that however I position myself against enemys, no matter on distances, angles, bow-on, backward, broadside, it doesnt matter, I get citadeled with every 2nd salvo. That says a lot when even Missouri with bad guns and Bismarck can citadel me with no problem.

I even had better results with Hipper and experienced less armor issues on it.

Did I miss some nerf on Hindi as his popularity over the past few months+ was very high, or am I just THAT much unlucky with this ship?

Bismarck cannot citadel Hindenburg if Hindenburg is angled. Missouri can overmatch the bow. Hindenburg is still quite tanky, but it is not immune to citadels. Far from it. It might have turtleback, but it is a cruiser, so getting multi-citadelled at anything beyond very close range is a given. Only BBs are allowed a hidden citadel after all.

But honestly, it's still a good ship. The only real nerf it got (not that 1 second reload increase) is the introduction of the Republique, which just overmatches it almost everywhere and is a massive pain to deal with. Might be any of the new ships (Worcester, Harugumo, Stalingrad) proves to be quite capable against Hindenburg (because of insane AP or balanced AP ammunition with improved autobounce and super pen), but that's to be seen.

• Cool 4

[NWP]
Players
6,576 posts
7,488 battles

Hindenburg is easier to citadel the further away it is. You can easily multi cit them on long ranges, if they let you. However, your entire broadside is armored enough that it can bounce all shells except Republique, big Conq guns and Yamato. So basicly work to that accordingly :Smile_medal:

Bow/Aft get be overmatched by all BBs except the <400mm ones like Bismarck.

Not sure how you play it, but hindenburg works best on a flank where it has all enemies on one side. I try to avoid any situation where i have enemy BBs on both sides, since that would mean you have to open up for one or the other from time to time. Sadly ofc, noone likes to have a Hindenburg in his flank either so... prepare for that or be lucky when you can farm em :cap_rambo:

• Cool 3

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,724 posts
6,861 battles

Hindenburg is fairly easy to citadel at range when broadside. But at closer ranges and when angled it is more difficult to burst down. You might cause heavy damage to it but the turtleback will keep most of the [edited] citadels away and it will keep on going. 

Players
989 posts
8,105 battles

Hindy is only immune to citadels from BB's below 12km, from Cruisers below 10km (except Dm who can always do it) because turtleback, but she will eat a lot of regular pens. She's also very weak to HE, as the entire ship but turret faces and conning tower can be penned by native 203mm rounds, including your belt and everything else. 

• Cool 1

Players
147 posts
7,196 battles

Hindenburg felt tankier a few months ago...and she can be citadelled like every other cruiser when giving broadside (dont let "higher" players tell u otherwise), but she is still the second tankiest and easiest to play t10 cruiser (no stalingrad is not a cruiser even if the game says so). And if your in the middle of a turn you mitigate the advantages of turtelback armor, so she is even easier to cit then. 

[NWP]
Players
6,576 posts
7,488 battles
8 minutes ago, Hawker_gb said:

Moskva

If you go by his logic (turning hindenburg is easier to cit) then nope, Moskva is easiest to devastate apart from Minotaur. Any broadside from Moskva you will citadel it.

Tankiest Cruiser overall id say Hindenburg. Zao is however most :Smile_trollface:

[POI--]
Players
5,927 posts
7,236 battles
1 hour ago, Reaper_JackGBR said:

Hindy is only immune to citadels from BB's below 12km, from Cruisers below 10km (except Dm who can always do it) because turtleback, but she will eat a lot of regular pens. She's also very weak to HE, as the entire ship but turret faces and conning tower can be penned by native 203mm rounds, including your belt and everything else. 

I've never tried it, but I bet Stalingrad has little issues, given improved ricochet angles also reduces chances to bounce off angled citadel slopes. It's one of the reasons why it can randomly citadel German BBs at times.

Players
989 posts
8,105 battles
8 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

I've never tried it, but I bet Stalingrad has little issues, given improved ricochet angles also reduces chances to bounce off angled citadel slopes. It's one of the reasons why it can randomly citadel German BBs at times.

Right, forgot about that being added. Haven't fought her in Hindy yet so didn't think to add it. 

Players
2,199 posts
3,844 battles
10 hours ago, principat121 said:

How do you know that you got citadelled and not just received a heavy hit (multiple penetrations)?!

Unlike many other potatos in this game, I can use my eyes and see if the enemy BB im focusing fire at is firing back at me and dealing that massive damage.

Missouri was like 19-20 km from me and I was angled, he still deleted half of my HP in one salvo.

I think there is no other choice for me but to start huging islands if I wanna do some damage and not get destroyed in first 10 min.

Lucky is not my middle name.

10 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Bismarck cannot citadel Hindenburg if Hindenburg is angled. Missouri can overmatch the bow. Hindenburg is still quite tanky, but it is not immune to citadels. Far from it. It might have turtleback, but it is a cruiser, so getting multi-citadelled at anything beyond very close range is a given. Only BBs are allowed a hidden citadel after all.

But honestly, it's still a good ship. The only real nerf it got (not that 1 second reload increase) is the introduction of the Republique, which just overmatches it almost everywhere and is a massive pain to deal with. Might be any of the new ships (Worcester, Harugumo, Stalingrad) proves to be quite capable against Hindenburg (because of insane AP or balanced AP ammunition with improved autobounce and super pen), but that's to be seen.

Dont remember what was my position against Bismarck but on mid range he did over 20k damage on me.

9 hours ago, ollonborre said:

Hindenburg is fairly easy to citadel at range when broadside. But at closer ranges and when angled it is more difficult to burst down. You might cause heavy damage to it but the turtleback will keep most of the [edited] citadels away and it will keep on going. 

Then I have some serious bad luck since about 12 battles in Random was all crap armor experience.

[POI--]
Players
5,927 posts
7,236 battles
10 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

Dont remember what was my position against Bismarck but on mid range he did over 20k damage on me.

Must have been exposed broadside, as the entire hull is 27 mm or more. At perfect angling, the sole damage a Bismarck can do is superstructure overpens.

Players
147 posts
7,196 battles
1 hour ago, Hades_warrior said:

What, troll armor they have?

no not them having troll armor but improved ricochet angles, so the turtelback is less effective.

[JRM]
Players
3,067 posts
18,333 battles

Dosnt seem to me hindi changed of late, but it never liked plunging bb fire, you eat cits all day from 15+ km

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,356 posts
8,034 battles
4 hours ago, Hades_warrior said:

Unlike many other potatos in this game, I can use my eyes and see if the enemy BB im focusing fire at is firing back at me and dealing that massive damage.

Missouri was like 19-20 km from me and I was angled, he still deleted half of my HP in one salvo.

And you STILL can't tell the difference between heavy multiple penetration hits and a citadell hit. Because the receiving player has no info about this.

There is only ONE possibility to tell: in the after game reports (detailed reports). If the damage you took from n shells is more then n*0.33*max_damage_AP, you either detonate ot got a citadell hit.

Can you provide a screenshot where this happened to your Hindenburg?

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,752 posts
7,249 battles

Pro tips : don't try to tank République shells in Hindenburg. It's the BB that hurts heavily armored cruiser the most.

Anyway, Hindenburg armor is very good, but that doesn't make it immune to high caliber. The citadel is underwater, the bow got 27mm, so it can tank quite well, but that doesn't make it able to play like a BB still. DM can be tankier sometimes due to 30mm bridge that protect it from 406 and 410mm.

[UNICS]
Players
1,277 posts
17,576 battles

Anyone noticed that Worcester has some troll armor

When kiting perfectly 90 degrees? it seems that sells detonated before they can reach the citadel .

It has a 25 mm armor plate in the stern then a 19mm plate effectively giving it spaced armor and then a turret barbette in the way after the 19mm plate , then you reach the citadel.

If bow on she eats citadels like mad , but kiting she is more durable than the DM..

[AAO]
Players
401 posts
7,687 battles
Just now, Ysterpyp said:

Anyone noticed that Worcester has some troll armor

When kiting perfectly 90 degrees? it seems that sells detonated before they can reach the citadel .

It has a 25 mm armor plate then a 19mm plate effectively giving it spaced armor and then a turret barbette in the way after the 19mm plate , then you reach the citadel.

If bow on she eats citadels like mad , but kiting she is more durable than the DM..

I hate worchester with passion, due its ridiculous trolly armor for light cruiser. If it was more like minotaur in terms of armor i would be perfectly ok with its DPM. 

What comes to hindi, players have learned to aim against it ( clan wars and previous t10 events) so its not durable ad it used to be. 

[UNICS]
Players
1,277 posts
17,576 battles
1 minute ago, Guillotine said:

I hate worchester with passion, due its ridiculous trolly armor for light cruiser. If it was more like minotaur in terms of armor i would be perfectly ok with its DPM. 

What comes to hindi, players have learned to aim against it ( clan wars and previous t10 events) so its not durable ad it used to be. 

i like it finally a us cruiser that can take some hits :Smile-_tongue:

Sign in to follow this