You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Warhawk1984

Emerald

does the emerald need a buff?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. does the emerald need a buff?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, Nerf it
    • Not played it

85 comments in this topic

Players
257 posts
3,083 battles

not really a rage thread but is it me or is this ship just utter garbage.

The ap is just not good enough it wont reliably pen cruisers let alone bb's in its tier let alone the +2 you always seam to get and with no he you are left doing anemic damage.

the smoke dont work for this ship as you need to get into range to use your guns 13.6km by which time your dead 27k hp just dont cut and the repair is so weak you may as well not bother using it not when your entire ship is made from 1 big citadel.

the ship just dont work its so under powered it ain't funny

WOWS-numbers confirms this ship is a pile of garbage lowest stats across the board apart form planes shot down. https://wows-numbers.com/ship/4184782800,Emerald/

does this piece of s**t need a buff i think so what bout you guys.

at the time ship ship was around it was the most advanced light cruiser the British had to offer, and at the time they ruled the waves with this ship they would struggle to hold a lake.

Its all well and good bringing out new lines and nations RN dd's soon™ but all i want and i am sure it is true for a lot of people is for WG to fix what its got first then add more,  CV's are in a almost unplayable state British cruisers are not far behind, the Stalingrad from what i have seen in randoms is a utter joke and almost the definition of P2W. 

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,432 posts
8,808 battles

Havent played it, since i got the Leander back from the campaign, so i luckily could skip it.

However if i see one, i always will shoot it once i get its broadside. Its basicly autocitadel much like Neptune and Mino. So i could understand it receiving some kinda buff to survivability.

[OGHF]
Players
1,131 posts
19,756 battles

ALL RN CL’s need a buff, they can no longer be played in an aggressive way and this is detrimental.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 3

[SHAFT]
Players
9,432 posts
8,808 battles
3 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

ALL RN CL’s need a buff, they can no longer be played in an aggressive way and this is detrimental.

My suggestion for the ones i did play:

Leander: More range, 13,2 is pretty garbage these days. 14,5 or so i think would be fine.

Fiji: is fine

Edinburgh: Buff to RoF, maybe 6,5?

Neptune/Mino: Just give them normal Citadels... ppl are deliberately shooting inside smoke screens despite having perfectly fine targets VISIBLE AND CLOSER to them. So the incentive to shoot inside the smoke even with worse dispersion is too high. Citadels are too easy to score on them, thats why everybody prefers to blindfire these days. Its not like they are OP or anything if you look at global stats.

For neptune seperately: Reduce smoke firing debuff to 5,4 as Mino...

• Cool 5

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,345 posts
25,543 battles
21 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Leander: Is fine.

Fiji: is often fine or better

Fixed :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 3

Players
8,061 posts
8,886 battles

Emerald's stats say little. The ship recently got buffed. We'll have to see how it works. It was garbage before, maybe it is less so now.

32 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Havent played it, since i got the Leander back from the campaign, so i luckily could skip it.

However if i see one, i always will shoot it once i get its broadside. Its basicly autocitadel much like Neptune and Mino. So i could understand it receiving some kinda buff to survivability.

Emerald (like Leander and Fiji) can be penned through the bow, due to lack of armour. Emerald also can be citadelled with 152 mm IFHE. Broadside isn't needed.

33 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

Sure...

26 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Leander: More range, 13,2 is pretty garbage these days. 14,5 or so i think would be fine.

Leander already is the best T6 silver cruiser. What the hell does it need buffs for? The range works just fine.

Players
257 posts
3,083 battles
1 minute ago, Riselotte said:

Emerald's stats say little. The ship recently got buffed. We'll have to see how it works. It was garbage before, maybe it is less so now.

Emerald (like Leander and Fiji) can be penned through the bow, due to lack of armour. Emerald also can be citadelled with 152 mm IFHE. Broadside isn't needed.

Sure...

Leander already is the best T6 silver cruiser. What the hell does it need buffs for? The range works just fine.

if they buffed the emerald i certainly have yet to notice any for of difference at all

Players
8,061 posts
8,886 battles
1 minute ago, Warhawk1984 said:

if they buffed the emerald i certainly have yet to notice any for of difference at all

It should now have incredible low concealment, which should help it get into position unnoticed, to then smoke up and spam AP. Before, it had worse concealment than Leander.

Players
257 posts
3,083 battles
Just now, Riselotte said:

It should now have incredible low concealment, which should help it get into position unnoticed, to then smoke up and spam AP. Before, it had worse concealment than Leander.

ok i will take a look guess its that mid tier curse when both teams seam to have 5 dd's each side dont matter how good the concealment is it wont compete with a dd's 

• Cool 1

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,345 posts
25,543 battles
9 minutes ago, Warhawk1984 said:

Its ok when it doesn't get +2 MM

Spoiler

shot-17_06.04_11_36_36-0590.thumb.jpg.0a173c4fdff32586bcf7eec4dc1f4bd6.jpg

shot-17_05.31_17_05.21-0716.thumb.jpg.55dea94b63eb9a90e06c1179c8ff1b8e.jpg

Players
8,061 posts
8,886 battles
Just now, Warhawk1984 said:

ok i will take a look guess its that mid tier curse when both teams seam to have 5 dd's each side dont matter how good the concealment is it wont compete with a dd's 

Emerald with camo and CE skill has 8.7 km concealment (only camo is 9.9 km).

Follow up to 3 km behind a friendly DD (or 4 km if you lack CE). DD will spot whatever could spot you. If you run into an enemy DD, shoot it. If too many heavier enemies are around, smoke up before (and shoot them after the DD).

• Cool 2

[SHAFT]
Players
9,432 posts
8,808 battles
8 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Many ppl dont know that either, especially midtiers. And we had that arguement before: With Fiji i dont fear others shooting AP in my face. However, with Marblehead  they shoot AP much more often at my bow, i dunno if its intentional or just lucky. Last game i played with Marblehead, i had a Furutaka shooting AP at my all the time. Which is much worse on that ship, since it doesnt have a heal.

And with HE you still need to hit the citadel right away. You cant bowpen him with HE and reach the citadel - the HE will arm way before reaching it AFAIK. So ye, you need atleast to be able to hit the right part, which is much easier when its broadside. And AP still needs more damage when you can citadel it :Smile-_tongue:

8 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Ppl camp more and more even on midtiers. Also, everything which enables you to shoot BBs more often is good :Smile-_tongue:

They buffed the torps on it, i rather would have seen them buff the range a bit. Leander is very strong vs DDs and other Cruisers, but pretty weak against those dreadnought BBs (except the torps). Thats why more range wouldnt hurt so much.

[BBMMX]
Players
1,053 posts
5,361 battles

I recently bought it back as I'd enjoyed the grind through it and was no longer in such urgent need of a port slot or credits. I must be that outlier which skews the stats. :crab:

Players
8,061 posts
8,886 battles
8 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Many ppl dont know that either, especially midtiers. And we had that arguement before: With Fiji i dont fear others shooting AP in my face. However, with Marblehead  they shoot AP much more often at my bow, i dunno if its intentional or just lucky. Last game i played with Marblehead, i had a Furutaka shooting AP at my all the time. Which is much worse on that ship, since it doesnt have a heal.

And with HE you still need to hit the citadel right away. You cant bowpen him with HE and reach the citadel - the HE will arm way before reaching it AFAIK. So ye, you need atleast to be able to hit the right part, which is much easier when its broadside. And AP still needs more damage when you can citadel it :Smile-_tongue:

So? We had this argument before. Once again, you are making a point that adresses in hardly any way the quote. You stated you shoot it once you get its broadside. I stated that you don't need broadside. You can just shoot it when angled, overmatch and cit. Or shoot with IFHE and you'll get random cits, because HE never ricochets, so if you hit the right part above the citadel, it cits. Doubt you really aim HE at the citadel, given usually you just fire HE that wrecks Emerald like the big oversized DD it is.

And for that it's completely pointless how many know or don't know this, because the case discussed has an enemy Emerald, so it only matters whether you know how to shoot an Emerald, not others.

12 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Ppl camp more and more even on midtiers. Also, everything which enables you to shoot BBs more often is good :Smile-_tongue:

They buffed the torps on it, i rather would have seen them buff the range a bit. Leander is very strong vs DDs and other Cruisers, but pretty weak against those dreadnought BBs (except the torps). Thats why more range wouldnt hurt so much.

First game, so stock Leander (so, even worse range):

Spoiler

shot-18_06.08_02_56.54-0187.thumb.jpg.a3a420bfb7ee5cdec25c041e032377fc.jpg

shot-18_06.08_02_57.02-0292.thumb.jpg.4809ce4abe712d9767ddd8096e3d0c82.jpg

shot-18_06.08_02_57.10-0742.thumb.jpg.5ea73bef787e366347508b09540103f8.jpg

I guess dealing over 4k per salvo even to an angled BB (because lolwhatsautobounce RN CL AP) is now incapable of dealing with BBs. And why do you need more range to deal with campers? It has insane concealment for a cruiser. All camping does is cede you more space to move around undetected and go for the flank or objective. Smoke up 9 km away from your target, then dakka them till they move away or die.

[JRM]
Players
6,240 posts
24,081 battles
1 hour ago, Cyclops_ said:

Had a blast today with radar minotaur

Players
6,301 posts
10,524 battles
26 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

One screenshot / round is completly irrelevant to the topic at hand. So I guess...

27 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Once again, you are making a point that adresses in hardly any way the quote.

You said it yourself  - even in the same post. People need to get some self-reflection-skills

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles

Because the ship is the only RN cruiser that struggles to pen any ship of its tier and above, I would say that it needs to have greater shell velocity. At the end of the grind I started to get how it should be played, but the amount of shatters on SSs from a ship that can only use AP is just not right.

It has heal and low armour, but that is the life of a light cruiser. As long as it can reliably deal damage it should work as intended.

[OGHF]
Players
1,131 posts
19,756 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

Emerald with camo and CE skill has 8.7 km concealment (only camo is 9.9 km).

Follow up to 3 km behind a friendly DD (or 4 km if you lack CE). DD will spot whatever could spot you. If you run into an enemy DD, shoot it. If too many heavier enemies are around, smoke up before (and shoot them after the DD).

That is only if all the stars and planets align and MM is - not +.

Players
8,061 posts
8,886 battles
11 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

One screenshot / round is completly irrelevant to the topic at hand. So I guess...

You said it yourself  - even in the same post. People need to get some self-reflection-skills

It shows two dead BBs, that I mostly killed myself and the torp damage indicates they didn't just die to torpedoes. It very much disproves that Leander somehow cannot deal with battleships.

So, no, my quotation is on point. But...

Spoiler

Haters_gonna_hate.jpg.61164c63f1ba335bc189704b7d0fcfb4.jpg

6 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

That is only if all the stars and planets align and MM is - not +.

I mean, the concealment advantage isn't MM dependant. Nor is the smoke. The only way MM can screw you over there is getting thrown into T7 with early radars.

Naturally, the armament may struggle, given it wasn't good before and hasn't seen any buff in performance other than range. I'm not going to call Emerald a good cruiser, but unless you want to spend free exp, I think that the playstyle described has some success, regardless of tier. The advantage of being this flimsy is that it doesn't matter whether you get shot at by a Wyoming or by a Fuso. Hits will hurt, multiple will wipe you out.

Players
1,245 posts
9,254 battles

I'm not sure why you'd ask for more range as a buff. You have a cruiser with standout low concealment and no HE -- any range beyond a few km past concealment range should be meaningless, arguably even a hindrance (you'll draw fire from more ships).

Also I'd look at the stats with a grain of salt. Sneaky low-concealment cruisers are inherently hard to play -- razor thin margin between dominating and getting insta-deleted. And in Tiers V and VI lots of people are still learning this stuff. 

Also Tier V and VI is hard for any cruiser with the MM, but I wouldn't treat this problem by buffing them past their same-tier peers.

• Cool 2

Players
6,301 posts
10,524 battles
11 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

It very much disproves that Leander somehow cannot deal with battleships.

So, no, my quotation is on point.

Keep thinking you are on-topic. "alternativ-facts" I suppose.

hmhm.png.3bea976886dd7b5deeae903e674ba46f.png

• Funny 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,716 posts
5,270 battles

The only buff, imho, the Emerald and Leander need is to their mm. The tier 5 and 6 mm is, as we are all no doubt aware, atrocious, and changing this would help them both considerably.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,432 posts
8,808 battles
17 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

So? We had this argument before. Once again, you are making a point that adresses in hardly any way the quote. You stated you shoot it once you get its broadside. I stated that you don't need broadside. You can just shoot it when angled, overmatch and cit. Or shoot with IFHE and you'll get random cits, because HE never ricochets, so if you hit the right part above the citadel, it cits. Doubt you really aim HE at the citadel, given usually you just fire HE that wrecks Emerald like the big oversized DD it is.

And for that it's completely pointless how many know or don't know this, because the case discussed has an enemy Emerald, so it only matters whether you know how to shoot an Emerald, not others.

It makes a HUGE difference if you are playing the Emerald. Either you have to be afraid of the enemy, or not so much. Lets go back to the example with Marblehead: If i spot an enemy Cruiser, which is shooting AP at my bow, i want to avoid straight-up confrontation with it, because he can easily out-DPM me.

If the enemy doesnt know the weakness, then i can take the fight much more comfortably. And btw, you said Fiji + others can be penned through the bow - yes with 203mm AP or bigger. Not with 152mm AP.

17 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Hide contents

shot-18_06.08_02_56.54-0187.thumb.jpg.a3a420bfb7ee5cdec25c041e032377fc.jpg

shot-18_06.08_02_57.02-0292.thumb.jpg.4809ce4abe712d9767ddd8096e3d0c82.jpg

shot-18_06.08_02_57.10-0742.thumb.jpg.5ea73bef787e366347508b09540103f8.jpg

I guess dealing over 4k per salvo even to an angled BB (because lolwhatsautobounce RN CL AP) is now incapable of dealing with BBs. And why do you need more range to deal with campers? It has insane concealment for a cruiser. All camping does is cede you more space to move around undetected and go for the flank or objective. Smoke up 9 km away from your target, then dakka them till they move away or die.

A Bismarck is a pretty juicy target to shoot at with RN CLs, as are basicly most BBs T7+. And QE has the most places you can pen, because it has 25mm all around. I think you know armor modules on the other BBs, so your point is actually no point at all. And you obviously cant comprehend what other ppl say, because i didnt say "incapable" and i targeted specific BBs - neither which you are providing in your "prove screenshot"

33 minutes ago, jss78 said:

I'm not sure why you'd ask for more range as a buff. You have a cruiser with standout low concealment and no HE -- any range beyond a few km past concealment range should be meaningless, arguably even a hindrance (you'll draw fire from more ships).

Because i cant move my smokecloud with me?`

Players
8,061 posts
8,886 battles
15 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Keep thinking you are on-topic. "alternativ-facts" I suppose.

hmhm.png.3bea976886dd7b5deeae903e674ba46f.png

Too bad I quoted...

1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

You might wanna try harder with your "alternative facts...

tumblr_ocss3ox2tU1rn3ng4o6_1280.thumb.jpg.293471fc6eda6fb5a6edc7b5ba696d7c.jpg

2 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

It makes a HUGE difference if you are playing the Emerald. Either you have to be afraid of the enemy, or not so much. Lets go back to the example with Marblehead: If i spot an enemy Cruiser, which is shooting AP at my bow, i want to avoid straight-up confrontation with it, because he can easily out-DPM me.

If the enemy doesnt know the weakness, then i can take the fight much more comfortably. And btw, you said Fiji + others can be penned through the bow - yes with 203mm AP or bigger. Not with 152mm AP.

Your statement was "when I shoot an Emerald". Nothing about playing it.

3 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

A Bismarck is a pretty juicy target to shoot at with RN CLs, as are basicly most BBs T7+. And QE has the most places you can pen, because it has 25mm all around. I think you know armor modules on the other BBs, so your point is actually no point at all. And you obviously cant comprehend what other ppl say, because i didnt say "incapable" and i targeted specific BBs - neither which you are providing in your "prove screenshot"

Alright, I shall humour you:

Gneisenau is a mini Bismarck. As is Scharnhorst.

Nagato has 25 mm upper belt section.

Colorado is even lulzier.

Nelson has 32 mm all around, except where it has 25 mm extremities or even worse superstructure (I think the conning tower and turrets are all that has decent armour.

KGV is a continuation of QE scheme.

Lyon has large 25 mm sections.

Hood has a large superstructure.

On T6, Bayern has large superstructure, Fuso has some armour plating all around, but nothing that stops Leander's pen inside its range, Normandie has 25 mm sections, New Mexico and Dunkerque are even more of a 25 mm joke than QE. Warpsite is like QE.

Which of the BBs gives you trouble, for I'm sadly incapable of making out the "specific" claim behind

1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Please specify this very specific claim.

11 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Because i cant move my smokecloud with me?`

A bailing ship is a ship that gives up on the objective. Mission accomplished. Though, if stationary smoke isn't your thing, I recommend the Perth. Moving smoke and a spotter plane to spot/extend range. Also gets HE, for when you for whatever reason struggle getting your AP to work. 

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,046 posts
10,667 battles

I voted for "No, nerf it", that way it can finally grab the title it truly deserves: the worst T3 cruiser in the game.

• Funny 1