Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
___V_E_N_O_M___

HELP: Ranked Battles - Strategy to surpass rank 15? - : - - : - - : - NO TROLLING PLS

91 comments in this topic

[RONIN]
Players
1,662 posts
8,568 battles

Ok so I need help with getting passed Rank 15 in Ranked Battles? I don't know what I am doing wrong. No matter how many battles I play I just cant progress, I am looking at videos about strategy etc but I just seem to be loosing most games. I know its something to do with my game-play as we would not be loosing every game because of others failing. So what the **** can I do to make my game-play more beneficial to the battle outcome for my team.

I play BBs only! So I am not interested in suggestions of using other classes to farm wins, I want to win at BBing.

Over to you....

[CU]
Players
237 posts
20,422 battles

If you don't know where to go, then ask in match. Also means you are saying hi to your team.

Edit: To clarify, your position will be dependant on map and team. Hard to give you a magic "do this and win" piece of advice, so go with teamplay.

Beta Tester
907 posts
9,150 battles
15 minutes ago, HMS_Argosax said:

I play BBs only!

Play anything else than BB's only. You can impact the game so much more with cruisers and destroyers...

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Players
1,662 posts
8,568 battles

Well I have upped my game, but I have noticed the best way to play in general is to play defensively. Hold 2 Caps and defend not over push, but it ways seems to fall apart. I will say though when I see enemy bbs I get tunnel vision and focus fire on those.....

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
13 minutes ago, HMS_Argosax said:

Well I have upped my game, but I have noticed the best way to play in general is to play defensively. Hold 2 Caps and defend not over push, but it ways seems to fall apart. I will say though when I see enemy bbs I get tunnel vision and focus fire on those.....

While damaging BB's is important, it's a good deal more important to kill cruisers quickly and DD's even quicker. Target selection is pretty vital.

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Players
1,662 posts
8,568 battles

So how would you approach it?

Should we look at my ship build and captain skills, start with the basics? Then maybe discuss tactics

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
4 minutes ago, HMS_Argosax said:

So how would you approach it?

Should we look at my ship build and captain skills, start with the basics? Then maybe discuss tactics

Well if you said what ship you're using, which upgrade mods and put a link to a captain build on shipcomrade (here :- http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc) it wouldn't hurt so that people with experience of that specific ship can offer advice.

As I said before, tunnel visioning on shooting BB's isn't necessarily wise, target selection is really rather important, far more important to winning a game than padding your damage stats.

An obvious one is killing low HP ships quickly, when dead they don't damage your teammates.

[OFFC]
Players
228 posts
14,143 battles

The most important to play with those ships with whom you are the best.

- check your statistic with your available ships, which has best WR%

- you have to get a star OR don't lose a star, so prefer that ship with whom you're able to become top XP earner

- you have to survive as long as you can, it means you can do more damage, get more ribbons, achievements ergo get more XP

- say tactic or follow others' tactic

- be fresh, then you can concentrate better

- if you lose 2 in a row, take a break and try later

- try more ships if you lose with one of them, perhaps another will be better

- if you get 3-4 stars then you can stop on that day and continoue on another day, because you can start lifting and start a infinite run, up and down

[H_FAN]
Players
2,563 posts
40,665 battles
1 hour ago, HMS_Argosax said:

Republique - 15 Point Captain currently:

Modules:

79LlPLZ.png

Captain Skills:

LmYipR0.png

Survivability Expert is forbidden on Battleships - this you should know since long time. I am not sure of secondary build , which i presume you have in your modules as you have BFT/AFT in ranked thought it might be fun in Random on French BBs. It is a difference to choose a secondary build for random which I admit I have myself in some of the French BBs just to have alternative playstyles.

But in ranked max effiency is the thing- But there are more experienced Republique players that should tell you what to use in ranked.

Have all BBs but will probably try Montana first, otherwise I will try Zao or DD, not that I expect any success but that the steel as a eward will be a incentive to try reach aroudn 10 or so but I am in no hurry , I expect the best players to play early and it is better to wait for player of my standard.

EDit: Did just see the modules CE is the module TSM basically worthless. Superintendent I like as captain skill. I presume that you use premium consumables of course and 8 relevant flags.

Like Tank276 says CE as the fisrt 4p skill is recommended. In ranked the number of ships tends to drop and if there are only a few of you left, being able to disengage is very important.

You can pretty much assume that the enemy is full stealth with CE captain skill and Concealment module which leaves you at a say 3 km disadvantage or larger. Not good.

• Cool 2

[RONIN]
Players
1,662 posts
8,568 battles
3 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

Survivability Expert is forbidden on Battleships - this you should know since long time.

Yeh I know I just like the extra hp on my ship :P

• Funny 2
  • Bad 7
  • Angry 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
891 posts
8,481 battles
Just now, HMS_Argosax said:

Liking the extra hp on  your ship will not help you go beyond R15 dude, 3 cpt points are not to be thrown away.

You dont have concealment either as a module or in your cpt skills, that will hurt a lot when you want to stop firing and disengage.

• Cool 2

Players
2,773 posts
17,292 battles

SE on a BB isn't as bad as some think but SI will net you an extra ~10,000 HP over SE on Rep (assuming both builds use all heals)

I like my BB teammates to sink island camping US and RN radar cruisers, learn where they camp and where to go to get good angles on em. :cap_like:

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[H_FAN]
Players
2,563 posts
40,665 battles
10 minutes ago, HMS_Argosax said:

Edited my post and elaborated a little more

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,709 posts
8,735 battles

@HMS_Argosax

A proper Republique could look like this:

shot-18_08.25_08_40.35-0340.jpg.3c9a1fdc1d68a2fb719df49246442df5.jpg

and a proper commander like this (last 3 points would maybe go to "Basics of Survivabilty"):

shot-18_08.25_08_39.38-0788.thumb.jpg.b31601c2030f096c6eb9fc4d91b4b812.jpg

Spoiler

1.skill: Priority Target (you have to know if and how many opponents are targeting you - esp. usefull in a fight against a DD)

2.skill: Adrenalin Rush (for the direct boost of your DPM)

3.skill: Superintendent (for the extra heal)

4.skill: Concealment Expert (if you can't been seen - you can't been shot at)

5.skill: Fire Prevention (as mentioned prevending fires is cruicial)

6.skill: Expert Marksman (personal choice, because of the special french commander - I like the faster turning turrets, that fits my play style)

7.skill: Basics of Survivabilty (because of fires... you know)

The Alsace can be played around her secondaries, but the guns of the Republique are too good to waste any points or upgrades to the secondaries. The main enemy of the top french BB is fire or HE-damage, so take some upgrades and skill to minimize the effect of those.

You have long range guns and a quite fast ship. Use both to your advantage. Move around and try to shoot at unprotected broadsides.

• Cool 6

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,086 posts
8,425 battles

Like others have said this build is the proper way to go if you want to maximise performance on the Republique:

Spoiler

0e695e9b4e.jpg

a8c419a0db.jpg

The level of customisation is limited especially in Ranked, so anything other than the standard tank-stealth build is often not going to work. 

Other than that general tips, well shoot DD's--->Cruisers---->BB's. Only exception is if you get a full broadside of a BB and you have no real better targets.

[BS4]
Players
1,287 posts
7,209 battles
1 hour ago, Mydgard said:

The most important to play with those ships with whom you are the best.

- check your statistic with your available ships, which has best WR%

WR does not necessarily dictate which ship is best to use in ranked or in any other mode IMO...you could have played 20 games (for example..) in something, been crap in half of them but your team bailed you out so you end up with say 50%WR which you had very little contribution in  making so...

3 hours ago, Sturmtiger_304 said:

Play anything else than BB's only. You can impact the game so much more with cruisers and destroyers...

This ^^

Its your DD's that cap in ranked and probably the most important role...

DD's are there to cap and counter enemy BB's, Your cruisers are there to protect your DD's and at the same time take out enemy DD's (and at the same time support BB's...somehow) etc etc...

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles
1 ora fa, HMS_Argosax ha scritto:

:cap_wander:

• Funny 4

[JRM]
Players
6,243 posts
24,096 battles

Well i for one prioritize PM over PT on rep (also on dunq, riche and gascigne) since you have only 2 turrets on those and loosing either really hurts, also CE is less important IMO since couse of rof you wont go black much, you shouldnt even spend so much time not shooting and even with Full stealth build you wont match the stealth of Real “hit and run” bbs such as conq fir example... AR and EM are with thet special commander must as 2 pointers, 3 and 4 pointers are a bit more Tricky but since you are clad in 32mm all over (basically thermite) i would choose SI and FP ar must haves and for rest you can either go with AFT and BFT or BOS.

However if you really want a reasonable sec build you can try PM then AR after that take either BFT (for more dakka) or DE (for more fires pet Shell) and then take FP, AFT and MCFSA and you can put last point in PT, if you dont work on fire prevention you are screwed in a high tier bb and espetially brawling bb.

Modules wise concealment module is much better choice then that target aquisiton one since it not only reduces detection range but increases dispersion for incoming enemy shells as Well 

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,086 posts
8,425 battles
6 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

CE is less important IMO since couse of rof you wont go black much, you shouldnt even spend so much time not shooting and even with Full stealth build you wont match the stealth of Real “hit and run” bbs such as conq fir example

CE and FP are the best options for the Rep. FP is self explanatory. While you will be shooting much, you will not be shooting constantly, and at some point you will be forced to stop shooting due to either damage or getting into a better position. And at that point 15.4 km concealment just will not cut it, since you lack the overall protection and is a huge target.

• Cool 2

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
8,176 battles

Remember the accolades of the OP, lets hope its teams are not too bothered

Only glad I dont play ranked.

Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles
5 hours ago, HMS_Argosax said:

NO TROLLING PLS

hard1ydfl.png

... Must resist...

V3v2NRK.gif

Ah f*ck it!

ypmxy1p3tm92pdbub2wi.gif

• Funny 2

[LEEUW]
Players
2,230 posts
9,995 battles

@HMS_Argosax 

Do you have replays enabled? Some here might be able to help you with positioning and target selection when they can actually see you play. Not to put you down but to provide constructive criticism. 

Players
685 posts
5,677 battles
24 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

@HMS_Argosax 

Do you have replays enabled? Some here might be able to help you with positioning and target selection when they can actually see you play. Not to put you down but to provide constructive criticism. 

He is using the objectively terrible torpedo detectability mod instead of concealment, so the smart money is on him sitting far in the back because he is terrified to death of torpedoes. Likely does not know which ships have them or not so he just assumes they all do.

His average dmg in ranked with Republique is 63k, and his randoms WR is 44%. Even if we could help him at this point, I'd advise not doing it just to keep him out of ranked.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[SHAFT]
Players
9,438 posts
8,808 battles
5 hours ago, HMS_Argosax said:

So what the **** can I do to make my game-play more beneficial to the battle outcome for my team.

3 hours ago, Gnirf said:

Survivability Expert is forbidden on Battleships

3 hours ago, HMS_Argosax said:

:cap_fainting:Asks for advice on how to improve - gets advice - ignores it.

If you want to play how you "like it" then dont ask for help? :cap_hmm:

Maybe you need to be told why SE is garbage: So you get 3500 HP more than normal. One Yamato pen deals 4818 damage :fish_book: Ofc its not that simple - but just to point out how useless this extra HP actually is, even more so when you are ignoring other VITAL captain skills.

3 hours ago, creamgravy said:

SE on a BB isn't as bad as some think but SI will net you an extra ~10,000 HP over SE on Rep (assuming both builds use all heals)

Did Repair party in combination with SE get changed? Last time i heard, it actually didnt effect it, and WG said "working as intended" Otherwise it might be considerable on Minotaur f.e.

Oh ye found it just now. Interesting how quick they changed their "working as intended" to "it wasnt working as intended" obviously.... still on a BB VERY questionable. Other skills make much more sense.

• Cool 4

Sign in to follow this