Sign in to follow this  
SuxatGamin

Back to the game after a couple of years - what's changed?

5 comments in this topic

Players
3 posts
386 battles

Hi

I used to play WoWS, got up to about tier 6 in US cruisers and German destroyers but stopped playing for various reasons.  I've now come back to the game to see what's going on and have a few questions, I've started the British line (planning on going Battleships as I don't have many of those so far)

1) Where are the carriers? Have people stopped playing them?

2) Do all cruisers get destroyed in one salvo from a battleship now? Maybe my memory is hazy but I'm sure I didn't have to hide from them so much!

3) I've watched a couple of recent WoWS videos on Youtube and there's talk about 'angling armour', do I need to worry about that kind of thing now?

Thanks!

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,108 posts
8,897 battles
3 minutes ago, FunkyNige said:

At higher tiers, yes for the most part.....They're very common at tiers 4-7... The rest of us are waiting for the upcoming CV rework though.

2) Do all cruisers get destroyed in one salvo from a battleship now? Maybe my memory is hazy but I'm sure I didn't have to hide from them so much!

I think this was always the case...

3) I've watched a couple of recent WoWS videos on Youtube and there's talk about 'angling armour', do I need to worry about that kind of thing now?

Didn't you always? If you show a pointless broadside, you will get punished.

[CATS]
Players
26,032 posts
14,064 battles
5 minutes ago, FunkyNige said:

Hi

I used to play WoWS, got up to about tier 6 in US cruisers and German destroyers but stopped playing for various reasons.  I've now come back to the game to see what's going on and have a few questions, I've started the British line (planning on going Battleships as I don't have many of those so far)

Thanks!

1. They got a bit less, especially in higher Tiers. People wait for the CW rework.

2. If you are not careful, that can happen. But that was always the case.

3. Angling was always a thing or you end up at 2. Nothing new.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,405 posts
13,256 battles

1 hour ago, FunkyNige said:

<snip>

Do you pre-date the smoke changes? If you fire guns in a smoke screen, you are now more visible than you used to be (how much more varies with ship/gun)...

Players
1,139 posts
18,207 battles
49 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Do you pre-date the smoke changes? If you fire guns in a smoke screen, you are now more visible than you used to be (how much more varies with ship/gun)...

True, the most important change affecting general gameplay was the one to smoke mechanics. After that, to a more lesser extent, the proliferation of radar ships in T8+.

As for the questions OP originally stated:

1. The supression of manual attacks for T4-5 moved the real CV gameplay to T6 and above where AA begins to be an issue, thus many starters are discouraged to follow after hitting that wall (they can now lose all their attack planes trying to strike on certain ships or due to a strafing, a mechanic they were taught nothing about up to this point). At the same time, the inclusion of more ships able to become AA monsters in high tiers made T8+ CV play a lot less enjoyable, specially if you're not top tier (which, due to MM, is quite the norm for T8-9), so the population there dwindled. You have then 3 brackets: T4-5, quite alive (for CV population standards, which means encountering them every four matches or so) but not really a challenge; T6-7, also quite alive and where things are interesting; T8+, where only the true stubborn (in both good and bad sense) stay.
  2. Most cruisers could be one-shot before, but maybe you're seeing now quite the number of RN and/or US CLs, lines that were introduced during your absence. Those are particularily squishy, with Emerald (T5 RN CL) earning the reputation of being a floating citadel. The fact that RN CLs were given smoke adds to that because many players stay still and broadside within it, providing a perfect target, not to mention they have to slow down in order to do so.
  3. Angling against incoming shells has always been there, it's a core mechanic: AP shells bounce if their angle of incidence against armour is big enough. Current discussion about the matter comes from changes in armour profiles (thickness, disposition, geometry) and angle normalization for shells on certain ships, most of them in high tiers.

Salute.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this