Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
salva_barbus

World of Warships & Steam Play

6 comments in this topic

Players
131 posts
8,934 battles

Hello, everyone.

As you may or may not know, Steam has launched Steam Play, a new compatibility layer based on a new software mashup called Proton.

What this does is, it adds a new compatibility layer for windows games so that they can be played on Linux with little to no effort required, and it's based on Vulkan to boot! At the moment, the officially supported list of games is a little on the short side, but they say you can enable this compatibility layer for all games.

See where I'm going?

Yes, I installed World of Warships through steam on Linux and tried to make it run. Unfortunately, it seems that it doesn't work yet. I got a crash like the one attached.

So, as of now, this means that it can't be played, but I'll try to fiddle with this a little bit. IIRC, WoWS could be run on Linux via wine, but it required a special version of windows in the configuration for it to run. 

Of course, everyone's welcome to try and share their experiences with this brave new tool.

I'll keep you updated. Until then, safe seas!

Screenshot from 2018-08-22 21-03-55.png

• Cool 1

Players
131 posts
8,934 battles

Ok, some news: the game is playable! Just barely, but...

First of all, make sure you have your steam client & Steam Play all patched up. I tested with Proton 3.7-4 Beta, and the game was "playable" (between 30 and 40 fps on low quality settings) at 1080p. 

Also, update your graphics drivers as per the instructions on the https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/blob/proton_3.7/PREREQS.md.

I also had to rename a file https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/143025-for-steam-players-easy-log-in-with-existing-account-fix/ so that I could log in with my existing account.

My system is... quite strange. I'm still running with a Phenom II X4 955 CPU, 8GB of RAM and a Radeon 580 GPU. This can make the game run quite well on Windows, but the fact that I'm even able to play it on Linux at all without too much hassle is a step up.

I'll end my monologue now!

• Cool 1

[FRU]
Players
8 posts
5,822 battles

The game itself is now fully playable with the Proton 3.16-4 beta. The only things that still don't work (that I know of anyway) are the external parts that rely on CEF to display content, such as the Arsenal, Premium Store, Clan Base and News section. I was afraid I'd have to install Windows again to play this, but now I know I can get by on GNU+Linux.

[LEOND]
[LEOND]
Alpha Tester
1,222 posts
6,026 battles
5 minutes ago, Wizmoe said:

The game itself is now fully playable with the Proton 3.16-4 beta. The only things that still don't work (that I know of anyway) are the external parts that rely on CEF to display content, such as the Arsenal, Premium Store, Clan Base and News section.

Those work without any issue in a 32bit environment

Don't know if Steamplay let you do it with Proton, but WoWS is fully operational in WINE since alpha

[FRU]
Players
8 posts
5,822 battles
2 minutes ago, kodos said:

Those work without any issue in a 32bit environment

Don't know if Steamplay let you do it with Proton, but WoWS is fully operational in WINE since alpha

That's interesting to hear, I only started playing this on Linux today. Before I actually tried it myself I did a lot of reading up about compatibility and didn't see anyone else say what you're presenting here. Glad it works so well though.

[LEOND]
[LEOND]
Alpha Tester
1,222 posts
6,026 battles

The CEF browser is known to have issues on Linux as it uses some IE-8 dependencies that are not compatible with 64 bit systems

There are different workarounds but they are not working on all systems and games

For now it is the easiest way to use a 32-bit wineprefix, set wincfg Windows 10, install vcrun2015, d3dx9 and d3dcompiler_43 via winetricks (and use the classic installer for the game, not the Wargaming Gamec Center)

Sign in to follow this