Sign in to follow this  
Vilodrom

I need help Improving my DD gameplay

15 comments in this topic

[SM0KE]
Players
81 posts
1,670 battles

So atm I've been playing the V-170 (German DD) and my gameplay is hit and miss (with the hit being only 20k damage). When I first started with random battles (V-25 - G-101) I was scoring very high and had 3-4 kills each game. 

Yet after that, it's always ended with me going into C, having 3 enemy ships to my front, I make smoke, they still hit me and bust my engine, they kill me.

I've also been playing other games that ahve been slightly better but it's still not "enjoyable" like it was before.

If anyone has any tips/tricks they could give me, they would be much appreciated. I really love this game and torpedo destroyers can be very fun to work with when they are successful.

P.S: I'm boss af at co op battles normally having the highest or 2nd highest XP of the group

[SM0KE]
Players
5,419 posts
13,323 battles

There are probably several factors at work (in no particular order):

First, you are still very inexperienced (193 battles at time of writing, 62 of them in randoms), so you are going to make mistakes, and against real people they will often be punished. The V-170 is Tier 4, so you're still getting protected MM (+1 tier opponents at worst), but you are starting to get into the tiers where established players start to lurk; such players will often have superior captains, which will make your job harder.

It looks like a number of your ships have only been played in coop mode (for example, the only US ship showing against your stats for randoms is the T3 BB - none of the earlier ones); for the really low tier ones, it doesn't matter, but I would suggest playing more battles against real people at low tiers, mainly to get used to the differences between bots and real people. Bots play more predictably than real people, for example, and they always know where you are. As a noted philosopher once wrote: "Good against remotes bots is one thing. Good against the living, that's something else."

Have a look at a selection of 'how to play' videos on YouTube (iChase is often suggested as a starting point), and check that you haven't missed something (make sure your aiming sights are set up right etc.). I would also urge playing all the classes (except CVs), for several nations (IJN, US, KM, say, at least - maybe more); this will give you a better idea of how they all work, so allowing you to prevent them from doing to you (in your DD) whatever it is that keeps getting you sunk.

Basically, it's all about reading/watching, learning, and practicing at this stage. Stay at low tiers (maximum of IV - protected MM) until you are winning consistently (or are about to chew your own arm off with frustration), and then start moving up the tiers. This 'apprenticeship' will stand you in good stead for the scarier tiers; if any one ship/line gets boring, switch to another, to keep things fresh. Remember: the aim of the game is not to get to T10 as quickly as possible; from a pragmatic standpoint, you probably are best served staying at T4 as long as you can stand, and then aim for around T6 - this is the point where you can qualify for most missions and whatnot (although you will start to have to face radars, which are a bugger for a DD driver), plus it's a reasonably balanced tier for the most part.

Keep asking questions on here too: loads of people are happy to help newer players.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
81 posts
1,670 battles

Ty for that, I'll defo start playing some different DD's. Does anyone have any advice for any DD's? I really like torping and hiding behind islands.

I feel like one of my problems was that all these vidoes chucked different strats at me and putting them all together was bad. I like hiding behind islands, torping, torping some mroe, sneaking up on someone else. However all these ship say you should capture the area. When I capture an area the people almost always end up seeing me so  I normally disappear as soon as I get the area.

Never again will I play a BB she is so slow I don't even have time for a slow ship without torps. I did watch all the german DD tutorials from UrPeaceKeeper and watched some notser but haven't tried iChase.

Lately it has been getting a bit better (acc landing some torps) but everyone be stealing my kills ;(

I like danaes gameplay but people told me that is for professionals so I'll steer clear of that for now.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,419 posts
13,323 battles
5 hours ago, Vilodrom said:

Ty for that, I'll defo start playing some different DD's. Does anyone have any advice for any DD's? I really like torping and hiding behind islands.

I feel like one of my problems was that all these vidoes chucked different strats at me and putting them all together was bad. I like hiding behind islands, torping, torping some mroe, sneaking up on someone else. However all these ship say you should capture the area. When I capture an area the people almost always end up seeing me so  I normally disappear as soon as I get the area.

Never again will I play a BB she is so slow I don't even have time for a slow ship without torps. I did watch all the german DD tutorials from UrPeaceKeeper and watched some notser but haven't tried iChase.

Lately it has been getting a bit better (acc landing some torps) but everyone be stealing my kills ;(

I like danaes gameplay but people told me that is for professionals so I'll steer clear of that for now.

If you're keen on torps, it might be worth having a look at the IJN DD lines (and possibly their cruisers too, as they get rather good torps as well): they're mostly all about the torps, and being sneaky (even a lot of the 'gun' branch - one of my favourites is the T7 'gun' DD, with TRB rather than smoke). The idea with those is generally to use your superior stealth (make sure your mini map is set up to show your spotting distances) to get to within torpedo range, and then unleash a wall of skill at the enemy.

Bear in mind that because BB players are notorious crybabies, the IJN torps generally have large spotting distances i.e. your target gets quite a lot of warning that they're coming, so you have to be judicious with your launches.

Whilst all ships benefit from having a good captain, the sneaky IJN DDs are especially helped by having a 10 point captain at least - CE (concealment expert) is pretty much required for stealthy play; many of your opponents will have it, putting you at a disadvantage if you haven't.

If you're playing sneaky, it is often a good idea to avoid firing your guns (and, if your AA guns out-range your air spotting distance, hit p to deactivate them) unless you absolutely have to, or are guaranteed a quick kill, as firing causes your visibility distance to bloom heroically. Torps don't do this, which is another point in their favour.

That said, don't disregard guns altogether when playing IJN DDs - they get a lot less dreadful higher up the tiers (and especially with the gun branch), plus there are plenty of other DDs from other nations where guns are either part, or almost all of what you're about, so you hamper yourself if you don't learn to shoot. Also, don't forget how DoT effects and Damage Control intersect i.e. if you can cause flooding, say, whilst your target's DC is on cooldown, you will do a lot of damage over time, and possibly even sink him. So what? So, if you can start a few fires before someone gets torped, they may pop DC, so giving you a window to do flooding damage (although don't forget the period of immunity to DoT effects, and also remarks above about visibility bloom).

Whilst I understand that BBs (in general) smell, and their mothers dress them funny, don't disregard them altogether: there are some splendidly fun ones out there for the discerning torp enthusiast. When you get the hang of middle, and then higher tiers, there are a couple of IJN BBs with torps (although they are arguably a complete liability in at least one case), plus the Shinyhorse and Tirpitz premiums are glorious (just don't get them until you know what you're doing), not to mention Gneis in the silver tree.

Returning to DDs for a moment: it might be worth giving the KM line a punt - they're a good 'hybrid' line; you still have useful torps, but the guns are more important than with the bulk of the IJN ships, and they're only 'average' levels of stealthy i.e. they force you to learn new stuff, compared to the IJN ones, so increasing your versatility as a player - this is a good thing also.

• Funny 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,419 posts
13,323 battles
Just now, Verblonde said:

everyone be stealing my kills

Don't worry about this - whilst it's nice to have lots of those shiny red ribbons at the end of the game, it's not the be-all and end-all.

Recall that much of your reward from a game comes from how much damage you did to a target, as a proportion of its total; so, (I think) you'll get more reward for doing 1000 hp of damage to an 1100 total hp target, than for finishing off something with, say, only 100 hp left.

Whilst it's good to remove enemy guns from the game i.e. get kills (especially if the buggers have the ability to heal e.g. UK BB 'zombie heal' especially), it can sometimes be a waste of an enormous alpha strike, if the foe is almost dead, and there is someone else to finish them off. Knowing when to do which comes with experience (it can be one of those times when the IJN DD guns are actually useful too).

Short version: get kills if you can, but don't stress about it if someone else finishes a target off for you.

[SM0KE]
Players
81 posts
1,670 battles

KM is german am I right, that is what i play rn. I'm feeling uncertain about the whole IJN destroyer situation though, I'm lucky if I

can forsee where someone is going with my German 1k detection range, if it's more than that and it has bad guns I think I'll suffer...

Either Russian, Pan or US

what to do?

I might go with russian.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,419 posts
13,323 battles
15 minutes ago, Vilodrom said:

KM is german am I right, that is what i play rn. I'm feeling uncertain about the whole IJN destroyer situation though, I'm lucky if I

can forsee where someone is going with my German 1k detection range, if it's more than that and it has bad guns I think I'll suffer...

Either Russian, Pan or US

what to do?

I might go with russian.

Yup - KM = Kriegsmarine (technically not correct in the game, of course, as the earlier time period ships are Imperial, but that's pedantry).

I'd play all of them, at least at lower tiers, and pick two or three lines that you turn out to like.

Russians tend to be all about the guns (the torps are horrifyingly short-ranged); sneaky play is generally not their forte; mind you, Grozo (T10) is one of my favourite ships at any tier, and that's a pretty decent hybrid. The Russian premiums (whether in the Russia tree itself or elsewhere) are mostly good hybrids too...

[SM0KE]
Players
81 posts
1,670 battles

I'm not sure theres people for certain games that classify into section which are:

: People who can try endlessly and don't get better (normally they are just generally bad a computer games)

: People who can practice and then get the hang of it

Now ik for a fact that I'm quite good at most games yet I've tried fortnite but for the love of me I just can't.

Idk what I am for this game, I hope I can get better - I have no idea what I like so much about it but turning on a computer I just cant resist to start xD.

*Btw I have enough to unlock the emerald, yay or nay?*

Also, I really wanna know how you can follow torps and salvoes with the camera

*EDIT* I just saw the gameplay of an IJN, I got hella inspired by that so imma try IJN ( lol only into tier 2 with russian)

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,645 battles
On 22/08/2018 at 8:01 PM, Verblonde said:

Have a look at a selection of 'how to play' videos on YouTube

Flamus "lower tier guides" tend to be useful too, if he has covered the relevant ship.

14 hours ago, Vilodrom said:

*Btw I have enough to unlock the emerald, yay or nay?*

Also, I really wanna know how you can follow torps and salvoes with the camera

*EDIT* I just saw the gameplay of an IJN, I got hella inspired by that so imma try IJN ( lol only into tier 2 with russian)

Emerald is a bit of a dog, especially when you consider that it does not longer get protected MM. The following Leander however is absolutely splendid and the Fiji is a treasure.

Just remember that RN cruisers require situational awareness and some forethought to work well, especially from T6-7 onwards where they start to show their strenghts.

So maybe dabble in them a bit, but don't overcommit to the line and be annoyed when one of your highest tier ship just refuses to cooperate.

As for the tracking there's a keybind for that (i think MMB if you want to fire+track, for just tracking there's another one), you'd have to look it up the the settings though, changed the bindings ages ago.

• Cool 1

Players
2,182 posts
20,299 battles

All of that is because in the beginning, you were actually playing mostly bots, even in Random, thou you may not have noticed.

You didn't get worse - you just increasingly met real players, some of which have thousands of games under their belts and are highly accomplished.

The tactics used against bots don't work on them, partially because they won't ignore you just because another ship is closer. They are capable of more advanced threat assessment and prioritization.

Grind out at least a 10-point captain, get the Concealment Expert skill, re-build your captain to the standard basic DD captain specs (PM-LS-SE-CE, or PT as a Tier-I skill for gunboat and hybrid captains is also viable.)

Then consider this:

Players
126 posts
7,326 battles

Some random standard advice for Newbie DD players:

Don't sit still and sideways on to the enemy in smoke. Expect torps and probing fire. 

Don't smoke up in a Cap unless detected. Otherwise you're blind and everyone on the enemy team knows where to send Torps. 

Don't get into close range fights with other DDs if you can help it. Especially if you don't have back up. Kite them and stop shooting and stealth up (if possible) if you're getting hammered. Use F3 to ask your team to shoot them for you (But don't expect help if you've gone off alone and suddenly run into trouble).

Don't sail in a straight line. 

Turn on air detection range on the mini map. Turn off AA until you're spotted by a plane. (P key). 

Turn on last known position and ship names on the minimap , but expect ships to have moved. 

The grey torp indicator is a lie. (Well above Teir 4 anyway) , people often use WASD hacks. Learn to predict where ships will go. Also torps can be just as useful to dissuade enemies from entering an area. 

Learn which ships have hydro. If you're in smoke and they're charging you be ready to run before they get close enough to detect you. If the don't have hydro wait till they're within 3km before launching torps. 

Learn which ships you can pen from the side with AP. 

Read up on ship and captain builds before you buy them. 

I'd also recommend grinding the IJN and US DD lines to Teir 6 and learning to set up close range ambushes around islands. 

The Russian DDs are great fun, but they're not good at capping and forget being a torpedo boat. (That said I have had some hilarious kills with 4km torp Ambushes from behind islands or as a result of a YOLO rush). 

Lastly, Remember: Its only a game, have fun. 

[SM0KE]
Players
81 posts
1,670 battles

Ok so I tried a handful of DD's u8p to t4, and I'm LOVING the isokaze....

yh thats it lmao

Does anyone know how I can change my name on this btw?

[TTT]
Players
2,089 posts
21,044 battles
2 hours ago, Vilodrom said:

Does anyone know how I can change my name on this btw?

It's best to pick the right name, renaming costs 10 €. If you want to do that log in on WoWS.eu, click on your name on the top right, select account management. There will be an option to change your name (only if you have the sufficient amount of doubloons).

[SM0KE]
Players
81 posts
1,670 battles

Thank you to everyone who ahs replied on this topic, it has helped me drastically imrpove my DD gameplay. From back when I wrote this thread to now has been such an increase in skill, it's really about the practice.

Thanks to everyone,

Vilo

[POI--]
Players
483 posts
7,502 battles

From what i can see on wows numbers you`re doing fairly ok for a new player.

Sadly there are plenty of sealclubbers (such as myself :cap_haloween:)  on low tiers, and simply put - there is nothing you can do against them.

As you play mostly DD`s it`s vital to learn each and every destroyer`s concealment/detection range.

Especially considering that you do very well in IJN DD`s which rely the most of them all on not being seen.

Mutsuki you`re about to research is on of the finest example of it, because it has even less gunpower than a tier 2 destroyers, but completly retarded torpedoes as a counterweight, and the enemies know it.

If you get spotted any enemy destroyers will charge straight at you (because you have no gunpower), and any relevant enemy players in torpedo range will start manuvering unpredictably (so-called WSAD hack) making you esentially useless.

The other important thing regarding destroyers is NOT TRUSTING THE GODDAMN TORPEDO LEAD MARKER.

Yes, you will use it most of the time, but always take a while, and try to figure out what your target is planning to do, then act accordingly.

FInaly always make sure to have a way out, unless you will kill the enemy/win game by whatever you are doing.

I`ve seen enough DD`s charging the cap circles at the beginning of the match, and then running face-first into multiple enemy ships when they got there just because they went full speed, and straight in the cap.

As long as you control your engagements you`re safe - unless RNG decides otherwise. :fish_palm:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this