Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
anonym_RcmOkfI99bBx

Campbeltown

31 comments in this topic

Players
920 posts
11,130 battles

Overall and in general I'd not recommend a low-tier premium ship for "economic" reasons, be it free XP, captain XP or credits. In this regard, Gallant is probably a better idea, although do wait for more opinions, as I do not know if the tech tree destroyers will play similarly (-> can use the same captain skills) to her.

If you like low-tier fun and/or the Campbeltown in particular, then go for her, she's an okay torp-focused destroyer, but I wouldn't rely on her when it comes to captain training. Won't work hard enough for her money.

[CIRC]
Beta Tester
236 posts
3,049 battles

I'd say wait for the Cossack as she will be higher tier and more similar to the playstyle of RN DD's

Players
35 posts
9 minutes ago, AkosJaccik said:

Overall and in general I'd not recommend a low-tier premium ship for "economic" reasons, be it free XP, captain XP or credits. In this regard, Gallant is probably a better idea, although do wait for more opinions, as I do not know if the tech tree destroyers will play similarly (-> can use the same captain skills) to her.

If you like low-tier fun and/or the Campbeltown in particular, then go for her, she's an okay torp-focused destroyer, but I wouldn't rely on her when it comes to captain training. Won't work hard enough for her money.

6 minutes ago, Brett50 said:

I'd say wait for the Cossack as she will be higher tier and more similar to the playstyle of RN DD's

I just got it with coal and I think that is the worst ship that I ever played as a destroyer. Well, thank god I got it for free. Dont ever buy this ship people.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,860 posts
11,748 battles

I'd have suggested the Gallant T6 over the Cambletown although you will have to spend real money to get it.

It's got decent stealth (my 15 point captain with CE) has a concealment of 6km which is OK.   The torps are 8km although at 61kts they are a bit slow.

This is Notser's review

Spoiler

In theory it should be easier to play than the Cossack mainly in that you will encounter less radar.

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

It's a garbage ship that gets pushed around by Vampire, and it's not going to get better with the introduction of tech tree Vampire. In fact, never even mind Vampire, little Phra Ruang can both outspot and outgun Campeltown because of the latter's heinous turret placement and reload. It was awkward to begin with, now its thoroughly powercreeped and WG don't care because it's low-tier.

[JRM]
Players
6,283 posts
24,145 battles

Forget it its a) shajte and b) american, its gallant u want trust me

[BBMMX]
Players
1,053 posts
5,361 battles

Buy it because you admire its history, not because you want a DD trainer. The guns are poor, which is contrary to what the line looks like being (hybrid DD with gun bias) and you're only able to put two of the three on target at any time. The torpedoes have regular narrow/wide spreads instead of the narrow/single that every other British DD has and they're mounted on the sides of the ship so you can only drop 3 at a time without turning the ship around.

Gallant is much closer to the regular ships and is pretty good for tier VI, although it loses against the T-61 by not having hydro. 6.6km concealment with perma-camo is useful for training captains that don't have CE and the 120mm guns are good with a decent HE fire chance of 8%.

Cossack will be higher tier and consequently will run into radar and hydro ships a lot more often so might not be the best pick if you don't have a 10-point captain to put in it.

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles
Just now, PassTheSalt said:

bear in mind that you can earn a free Gallant in the anniversary event.

You can? Source? Read the whole 0.7.8. briefing thing and it's not even mentioned.

Players
35 posts

bear in mind that you can earn a free Gallant in the anniversary event.

Really? Great! 

12 minutes ago, MoveZig said:

It's a garbage ship that gets pushed around by Vampire, and it's not going to get better with the introduction of tech tree Vampire. In fact, never even mind Vampire, little Phra Ruang can both outspot and outgun Campeltown because of the latter's heinous turret placement and reload. It was awkward to begin with, now its thoroughly powercreeped and WG don't care because it's low-tier.

LoL I agree

4 minutes ago, Strappster said:

Buy it because you admire its history, not because you want a DD trainer. The guns are poor, which is contrary to what the line looks like being (hybrid DD with gun bias) and you're only able to put two of the three on target at any time. The torpedoes have regular narrow/wide spreads instead of the narrow/single that every other British DD has and they're mounted on the sides of the ship so you can only drop 3 at a time without turning the ship around.

Gallant is much closer to the regular ships and is pretty good for tier VI, although it loses against the T-61 by not having hydro. 6.6km concealment with perma-camo is useful for training captains that don't have CE and the 120mm guns are good with a decent HE fire chance of 8%.

Cossack will be higher tier and consequently will run into radar and hydro ships a lot more often so might not be the best pick if you don't have a 10-point captain to put in it.

Thanks for the information

And thanks for all comments...

[BOBS3]
Beta Tester
501 posts
16,941 battles

In A game so no time to look it up, but there's currency to collect, can be spent on Gallant, Warpite or for discount on Cossack.

skim read less ;)

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

In A game so no time to look it up, but there's currency to collect, can be spent on Gallant, Warpite or for discount on Cossack.

skim read less ;)

ctrl+F Gallant = nada.

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

Apologies, ST note not 0.7.8, coming 0.7.9

Is it going to be that stuff you can only get from top-level ranked and clan pvp? If so, I'll pass.

[BBMMX]
Players
1,053 posts
5,361 battles

Only yesterday I was thinking about picking up a Warspite next time there's a doubloon discount. :Smile_great:

Beta Tester
4,763 posts
19,865 battles
5 hours ago, patr1234 said:

I heard that british destroyers are coming soon, so should I buy that ship so I can set a good captain? How is this ship? Is there anyone who has it?

I've got the Cameltoe and regularly use it.

No, You can't use it as a trainer for the coming RN DDs, as it's modus operandi is completely different. Most people here seem to think it is a bad ship, but even potato-ish me managed stats in it, that can be called "good" - over 30k average damage and a decent 60%-ish winrate over 50+ battles. So don't get fooled... it's not a bad ship - it just is too different from the coming RN DDs to be of any use as a training ship.

Gallant would do better as that, I'd say.

• Cool 1

Players
1,245 posts
9,273 battles

I like the ship, but yeah sounds like the silver tree will be something totally different.

I just use a 19-pt Conqueror captain in it. Concealment Expert, Superintendent, Vigilance -- works nicely. 

If you happen to have a suitable captain in another ship, and would like a tier 3 DD, why not.

• Cool 1

[OCTO]
Players
1,183 posts
25,493 battles
9 hours ago, patr1234 said:

I just got it with coal and I think that is the worst ship that I ever played as a destroyer. Well, thank god I got it for free. Dont ever buy this ship people.

No, no...

That thing is a monster if played properly. It is not your typical DD that just spams and stealth torps. Guns AND torps hit VERY VERY hard. Use smoke to fire guns and bait enemy to rush you into smoke. Then use those OP torps. You can even YOLO and one-shot BBs at that tier.

Don't give up on it, it is fun....

• Cool 2

Players
35 posts
1 hour ago, Zen71_sniper said:

No, no...

That thing is a monster if played properly. It is not your typical DD that just spams and stealth torps. Guns AND torps hit VERY VERY hard. Use smoke to fire guns and bait enemy to rush you into smoke. Then use those OP torps. You can even YOLO and one-shot BBs at that tier.

Don't give up on it, it is fun....

LoL I will try

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,060 posts
19,528 battles
11 hours ago, patr1234 said:

Come you you have played 1 game...

109 games in mine 57% winrate and average damage OF 37k.  Her high damage/long range torpedoes with those epic launch angles make her a torpedo boat GOD

• Cool 2

[OCTO]
Players
1,183 posts
25,493 battles
29 minutes ago, patr1234 said:

LoL I will try

You will not regret.

I have 31 games, average damage 31600 and WR 67%   :cap_win:

And wouldn't call myself a great player either... 

Sign in to follow this