Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrFingers

So, how about some love for the middle tiers?

45 comments in this topic

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

In the announcement for 0.7.8, it stated that Ranked battles will return. However there are some tweaks to it. Ranked is now T8 until R16, and T10 from R15 upwards. So again basically a T10-exclusive gamemode. The previous seasons one could at least reach halfway before hitting the seemingly inevitable T10 wall, but now the bar has been lowered and all but the most junior ranks are now T10. If you played well during last season, you'll get a headstart so big it will set you firmly in the T10 regions.

And then:

• Clan Battles: T10 exclusive
  • Go Navy Event: T5-10, but to make the most out of it, play the highest tiers you have, so again biased at T9-10 ships
  • Campaigns: T8+, some missions T9+. Except for the small campaign aimed at novice players
  • Supercontainers being given out at the anniversary per T10 ship you own (for the previous years that was the case, not yet known for this year).

That means the PvE operations at T6 and T7 and that one small campaign is all there is for mid-tier stuff to do.  You can play randoms just for the sake of it or to level your ship or captain on the way to T10, but once that's done, there is little to no incentive to go back down the tiers to play there, except the promise of a "less than stale" gameplay.

I understand WG wants to entice people to play high-tier ships, but not everyone enjoys that gameplay, nor has the desire to own T10 ships. T8 became the punching ball for T10's to drop their dung on, where almost everything outruns, outguns & outspots you, and T9 & 10 gameplay are more often than not long-range campfests where radar & hydro is being reciprocated from one side of the island to the other one. When ranked was T8, at least you could play your T8 ships without being uptiered more than half of the time.

So please WG, can we have some stuff for T5/6-8 as well? Doesn't need to give spectacular rewards, just "something like T8+ gets to enjoy for years now, but scaled for T5 or T6 to T8".

• Cool 14

[SHAFT]
Players
9,428 posts
8,803 battles

Well, i can understand what you are saying, but for me, the madness in hightiers isnt offset by the rewards i can get by playing T10.

I would play T10 more if i had actually fun playing the game, but its no fun. So i stick to lowtiers - T7 right now (or Coop for some of the daily missions).

Usually more fun, when you have decent games you will win more, not like hightiers where you can have insane games and still get fucked by your teammates.

Also i do like Operations quite a lot, but i feel they are going in the wrong direction by making them too hard to complete with random teams. Hermes f.e. has a big flaw when you wont get a BB (wanted to make a topic about it, i think ill do it now :fish_book: )

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

argh... and here I was looking forward to taking out my T8s in a not-completely-bullshirt environment at least for a short time...

[HOO]
Players
1,883 posts
3,695 battles

Well T8 is just crap, Horrible MM and now with the glut of T9 and T10 premiums coming that look like monsters, whats the point of silver grinding above T7? you are just going to get shredded, and you can buy a premium ship that isn't just different from the silver equivalent class, it's much much better, so why bother grinding.

T9 and T10 balance looks like it is going to poop. Both Noster and NoZoupforyou have basically said as much in the last couple of days in video's, so clearly some of the CC's are concerned to make a concerted effort to show WG this.

WG you messed up with Belfast, and other ships which you have removed from sale. you are now in danger of doing exactly the same thing all over again, but this time in T9 & T10.

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
618 posts
9,990 battles

Was loking forward to t8 ranked.

Tier 10 starts from rank 15.... oh.

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts
5 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

whats the point of silver grinding above T7

In my case, to get a ship I can use in the campaigns. That's it. Not that I enjoy doing those campaigns right now.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,563 posts
40,635 battles
27 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

In the announcement for 0.7.8, it stated that Ranked battles will return. However there are some tweaks to it. Ranked is now T8 until R16, and T10 from R15 upwards. So again basically a T10-exclusive gamemode. The previous seasons one could at least reach halfway before hitting the seemingly inevitable T10 wall, but now the bar has been lowered and all but the most junior ranks are now T10. If you played well during last season, you'll get a headstart so big it will set you firmly in the T10 regions.

And then:

• Clan Battles: T10 exclusive
  • Go Navy Event: T5-10, but to make the most out of it, play the highest tiers you have, so again biased at T9-10 ships
  • Campaigns: T8+, some missions T9+. Except for the small campaign aimed at novice players
  • Supercontainers being given out at the anniversary per T10 ship you own (for the previous years that was the case, not yet known for this year).

That means the PvE operations at T6 and T7 and that one small campaign is all there is for mid-tier stuff to do.  You can play randoms just for the sake of it or to level your ship or captain on the way to T10, but once that's done, there is little to no incentive to go back down the tiers to play there, except the promise of a "less than stale" gameplay.

I understand WG wants to entice people to play high-tier ships, but not everyone enjoys that gameplay, nor has the desire to own T10 ships. T8 became the punching ball for T10's to drop their dung on, where almost everything outruns, outguns & outspots you, and T9 & 10 gameplay are more often than not long-range campfests where radar & hydro is being reciprocated from one side of the island to the other one. When ranked was T8, at least you could play your T8 ships without being uptiered more than half of the time.

So please WG, can we have some stuff for T5/6-8 as well? Doesn't need to give spectacular rewards, just "something like T8+ gets to enjoy for years now, but scaled for T5 or T6 to T8".

Exactly my thoughts also:

I think ranked should be different tiers every season for the sake of variation.

It would really be nice for a permanent campaign that aimed for midtiers - even if a few of the short duration campaigns have been suited for Midtiers.

Go Navy Event I accept the difference there so that the MM are spread out skillwise.

I play lots of midtiers, i enjoy playing DDs the "oldfashioned" way when there is no/few radars and only short hydros. I also enjoy some of the maps on midtiers a lot. I am somewhat against paperships even though I have played some of them a lot. I also hope that WG changes its mind about midtiers in ranked especially when after all there are several fun ships to play. I do not play CB but for those who do it must be frustrating to play T10 all the time, even though some players do not play anything else.

Why not have during Clan battles (when there is no Ranked) a sort of light ranked with 10 levels with say T5 -7 ships (one tier at a time of course). Lower rewards but still steel for those who do not play CBs. Can be 1500 or so for R1 down to 250 for R5. All start at R10. Something I have thought of for a while. 

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles

Tier 8 and 10 is the best choice for ranked, by default. Why?

Simply in terms of balance. You can say what you want, but tier 8 balance is fine when they're not uptiered. And tier 10 is also good imo. There isn't a BB simply better than the others, same for CA CL and DDs. 

It is maybe not perfect, but compare with the other tiers.

It's obvious that at tier 4 and below, players would not be interested enough.

Tier 5? Too many broken ships.

Tier 6 could eventually be ok, but what for the upper ranks? Tier 7? This is powercreep paradise.

The only alternative to tier 8-10 would be tier 6-8 imho. And this is less appealing.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,409 posts
13,256 battles

Whilst I don't mind T10-only events as such (Grozo is one of my favourite ships at any tier), I agree that it shouldn't be *all the time*.

To me, this looks like a rather undignified attempt by WG to cash in, by persuading people to spend real money to rush up to T10 faster than they should...

I was quietly hoping that Ranked would shift to a wider spread of tiers (6-8-10, or something), to give newer players something fun to do at middle tiers, at least at the lower ranks. Having the top league be T5 really doesn't cut it for me - most people will be fed to the back teeth with Ranked by the time they get there, I would imagine...?

• Cool 2

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,651 battles
Vor 36 Minuten, Tyrendian89 sagte:

argh... and here I was looking forward to taking out my T8s in a not-completely-bullshirt environment at least for a short time...

1. Make second account and buy Tirpitz

2. Hide stats

3. Ask in chat how to use your guns

4. ...?

5. Profit

• Funny 12

[HOO]
Players
1,883 posts
3,695 battles
8 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

To me, this looks like a rather undignified attempt by WG to cash in, by persuading people to spend real money to rush up to T10 faster than they should...

With 7.8 and the reduced XP and credits needed to get to T6 it's going to be even easier

• Cool 1

Modder, Supertester
1,277 posts
10,873 battles

Who needs variation afterall?

I was alsoi looking forward to play with my T8 ships again in Ranked... but hey.. I reached Rank 1 in the last season and I'm not allowed to play something diffrently than TX nowadays.. Thats what we all want afterall... Endless TX stuff.

[BS4]
Players
178 posts
10,888 battles

1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

You can play T5 in Ranked... at R1. :Smile_trollface:

Expect the Giulios and Kamikazes.

And ques what, T5 cv's don't have manual drop... just as a middle finger to CV's

(thou, admittedly, at T5 there aren't that many AA-monsters or Def-AA)

Players
8,059 posts
8,879 battles
4 minutes ago, aleksi111 said:

And ques what, T5 cv's don't have manual drop... just as a middle finger to CV's

(thou, admittedly, at T5 there aren't that many AA-monsters or Def-AA)

Texas?

[AAO]
Players
401 posts
7,896 battles

Dont get whats the problem of T10 apart of burn out, its "balanced" it has no obvious OP ships and if you play well you dont lose money. 

T8 obviously gives ppl chance to get through ships but its "competitive" not easier MM to level. 

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
618 posts
9,990 battles
1 minute ago, Guillotine said:

Dont get whats the problem of T10.

The gameplay. Not everybody likes it.

Modder, Supertester
1,277 posts
10,873 battles

4 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

Dont get whats the problem of T10 apart of burn out, its "balanced" it has no obvious OP ships and if you play well you dont lose money. 

T8 obviously gives ppl chance to get through ships but its "competitive" not easier MM to level. 

Burn out is already the biggest problem anyway..

Do you wanna keep on playing only TX for the rest of the lifetime of WoWs in Ranked and Clan Battles? This simply won't play out well on the long term...

[PNAVY]
Players
1,201 posts
39,781 battles
3 minutes ago, _ramrus_ said:

The gameplay. Not everybody likes it.

I agree. But here comes the MM problem. There are some T5/T7/T8 ships I wanna play but I back off cuz of the matchmaking. I'm most of the time playing T9/T10 now,

Players
318 posts
10,720 battles

Even though I enjoy strolling through t8 ranked in my shokaku, having tx start at r15 means that we wont have the piles of crap who reached rank 10 last time and plagued ranks 10-6. Not sure ranked is worth it anymore with the rewards, but we shall see.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,409 posts
13,256 battles
26 minutes ago, VeryHonarbrah said:

Even though I enjoy strolling through t8 ranked in my shokaku, having tx start at r15 means that we wont have the piles of crap who reached rank 10 last time and plagued ranks 10-6.

I don't know that this will be the case: this is the third (?) thing in a row that essentially required T10, so quite a few less competent players will have made sure they have a T10 by now.

For example, if it wasn't for CW, and Ranked, I would probably still be strolling through T9; I'd be surprised if at least a few others aren't in a similar situation...

Players
289 posts
2,860 battles
3 hours ago, elblancogringo said:

Tier 8 and 10 is the best choice for ranked, by default. Why?

Simply in terms of balance. You can say what you want, but tier 8 balance is fine when they're not uptiered. And tier 10 is also good imo. There isn't a BB simply better than the others, same for CA CL and DDs. 

It is maybe not perfect, but compare with the other tiers.

It's obvious that at tier 4 and below, players would not be interested enough.

Tier 5? Too many broken ships.

Tier 6 could eventually be ok, but what for the upper ranks? Tier 7? This is powercreep paradise.

The only alternative to tier 8-10 would be tier 6-8 imho. And this is less appealing.

Tier 1 is still the king of balance when it comes to balanced tiers. 1 type of ship only and they basically play the same.

Tier 6 and 7 seem pretty average in terms of ship balance (grindable anyways) nothing that makes people go mental.

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles
17 minutes ago, BrigadierRosen said:

Tier 6 and 7 seem pretty average in terms of ship balance (grindable anyways) nothing that makes people go mental.

While I agree with t6, t7 is not playable in ranked. You can't ban premium ships. T7 premium are a joke in terms of balance. Do the fact that silver ships are balanced is irrelevant.

Players
386 posts
11,096 battles

WG thinks: people playing for fun can play any tiers they wish. For the competitive let's keep it TX.

[DC_DK]
Players
3,037 posts
31,509 battles

The only competitive mode in wows is clan battles.... Ranked is just another "single player" game mode in a multiplayer world of grind.

Sign in to follow this