Armory Maintenance - 30.11.2021 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aotearas

Damage threshold for penalties lowered?

10 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Let me preface this topic by saying sh*t happened and I'm not particularily mad about the penalty! With that out of the way:

I just had a very interesting case of the automated TK system getting me pink for hitting one shell ...

shot-18.08.21_15.09.23-0777.jpg

shot-18.08.21_15.09.28-0879.jpg

One shell, 2508 damage (unlucky full pen on my divisionmate's DD), he didn't die from it. I went pink instantly ingame.

Just to reiterate and make this abundantly clear, this wasn't a case of doing miniscule damage but it resulting in a TK! I know TKs automatically result in a penalty no matter how little damage was dealt, but this isn't the case here.

I also don't have a history of being a callous repeat offender. I can't say the exact number of times I've been pink since it happens so rarely and with lots of time in between that I simply don't remember with perfect clarity, but I can make a reasonable guess and say it's no more than a handful between all my games in total, possibly even less.

I can't even recall the last time I was pink, it's been that long ago. I've never done any excessive amounts of teamdamage, ever ... so I shouldn't have a big tally of misconducts logged in the system for it to be penalizing me particularily harshly/quick.

Is the threshold for penalties really that low? And since when?

Because I've seen, not too long ago (maybe a couple weeks at most), people deal more teamdamage (HP percentage wise) and not instantly turn pink from it ... and given how they kept torpedoing from secondline at tier X (Shimakaze, go figure) I somehow doubt that was his/her first time ever doing that.

Anyone knows any specifics on how the penalty thresholds work?

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
4 minutes ago, Warhawk1984 said:

i feel for ya ever notice its always dd's that have the ability to dodge and avoid them that gets hit

That has precious little to do with what I'm talking/asking about here though.

Also, allies typically have other things to pay attention to and dodge than allied fire.

• Cool 2

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts

In truth I don't know how the thresholds are set, but I suspect it's something to do with the percentage of the HP of the ally you inflict and I think it's lower than it was with smaller pink duration.

I've been pink too many times due to me tunnel vision torpedo firing and hitting some poor green sod, but that's always my fault, in this case 1 shell scoring a full pen is a bit weird, but that's RNG for you.

Not like you don't know the game and can't aim!

[IDDQD]
Players
2,099 posts
21,595 battles

If I remember right you get pink when you do XXX dmg in last Milion dmg done (numbers differ for various dmg sources - torps, guns, ect.).

So when you get pink by doing 2,5k dmg it means that you did another XX thousand in previous battles.

Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles

I think too, that it has been lowered.

Just 2 days ago a Duguay torped me in my Marblehead, when i was dancing with a New York :cap_old: New york shot 2 times HE at me, both times breaking my engine, so 2nd time i was dead in the water, and i catch the torp. Got 4900 damage and our Duguay turned pink.

On another note i shot a Cruiser lately, which parked right next to me in smoke. I thought i wouldnt hit him, but dealt 2k damage and i didnt turn pink.

Players
7,335 posts
11,668 battles
37 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Is the threshold for penalties really that low? And since when?

I recently turned pink three times. Wait. Hold your pitchforks - all of them exept one were bots in co-op. Which is absolutly stupid but another topic.

Bottomline: In two cases 2,5k and 4k dmg were enough to turn me pink, you can imagine, I did wonder quite a bit. But: all occasions only gave me 2 games pinky. I can remember, that it used to be many more games. So it looks like something really did change. Maybe threshold is lower but punishment aswell.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
18 minutes ago, Quetak said:

If I remember right you get pink when you do XXX dmg in last Milion dmg done (numbers differ for various dmg sources - torps, guns, ect.).

So when you get pink by doing 2,5k dmg it means that you did another XX thousand in previous battles.

That would be odd because this has been the first time in months that I actually did any noticable amount of teamdamage barring the odd single or rare double digit ramming damage when two allied ship collide (unless of course I did something so horrible that my consciousness has repressed every iota of memory of such a cataclysmic event of teamkilling rampage).

No matter how I look at this, the penalty seems disproportionate unless WG has indeed lowered the threshold to trigger penalties.

3 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Maybe threshold is lower but punishment aswell.

That would make sense, but I don't recall something like that being mentioned in any recent patchnotes. And I believe such a paradigm shift would warrant informing players that the system has been changed to some degree ...

[THESO]
Players
1,741 posts
20,183 battles

I always felt the whole friendly-fire thing was unnecessary. We do not have it in scenarios. There is no consistent logic that could explain, why they are present in randoms and not in scenarios. The game itself does not overdo it with realism so that you could argue that with that kind of simulation-like realism, team damage is a must.

Personally I feel it does not make the gameplay that much more interesting and tasking but it adds a lot of salt to a community, that already is quite salty. I have seen situations, where a game got lost due to torping a friendly or got lost due to not risking to torp a friendly. I have seen situations where I felt, the absence of team damage would take away a troll's main instrument of annoyance and solve that problem. I have seen situations where a player would intentionally take a detour to catch a torp, just to punish the torping player.

There is imo lots of reasons, why friendly fire is unnecessary and only one comes to mind why it makes sense, which is realism. But then again realism is not an isssue when it comes to sonar and radar ignoring islands or ships hitting each other or islands at full speed or opposing ships slightly touching each other and blowing up immediately. So, why the obsession with team damage?

[JRM]
Players
8,921 posts

I suspect we dont have it in scenarios since u have to sail right next to preprogrammed bots that take little to no notice of your position and to prevent Premature end of op by blaping say ruan by accident for instance (or “accident” if u run into an butt**le bonud on ruining everyones fun by killing the objective ship) as for team damage treshold idk logically it should be HP percentsge wise but is it Like that or not who knows :Smile_amazed:

Sign in to follow this