Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
loppantorkel

New game mode please

17 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Players
4,501 posts
15,942 battles

Try pressing Ctrl + G in battle and all UI is gone. Totally different feeling of the game just by doing this. You actually have to keep your eyes peeled to find the ships. I think it would be interesting/fun to try an alternate mode with less UI and, not more simulation, but more basics when playing and cooperating.

The only thing that would be nice to have is a cross hair. ...and perhaps the cross hair crossed when targeting a friendly ship. ..and perhaps some way to communicate with your teammates. ..and maybe the buttons of your consumables when needed.

WG is experimenting with new game modes. Maybe less UI and less info, minimap etc would be something to try? Try it for yourself at the start of the battle.

[-AP-]
Players
2,486 posts
6,063 battles

If you want this, go play the upcoming war thunder naval forces, i myself would never want any of that, cause it means that all i need to do is concentrate on looking at pixels, rather than being able to think about tactics with a somewhat informative ui

[NWP]
Players
2,615 posts
16,216 battles

Well, you better have a nice big monitor if you want to go down that road. Cause small laptop monitors just aren't good enough for that.

Plus, I agree with @thiextar I don't feel like pixel searching ( and getting team torped a lot more by friendlies )

[UNICS]
Players
4,501 posts
15,942 battles

Those are some good arguments. Still, maybe it's doable in some form? The whole thing about searching, discovering, updating new info and rethinking strategies.. it probably would feel fresh again even in the old maps.

You probably would have to rely on your teammates to a greater degree since moving in clusters probably would be smart.

[PN4VY]
Players
358 posts
6,877 battles

Not completely remove the ui but just remove the icons above ships while on the sea.
Mount each side a different flag so ppl have to actually pay attention ;D

[JRM]
Players
6,241 posts
24,081 battles

Mmmm a cluster of ships moving close together and without extra indicators and stuff?

Getting a vision of asashio looking at this from some 10km and firing a double tap in the crowd and then taking out the popcorn :cap_popcorn:

[TOXIC]
Players
4,651 posts
11,707 battles
1 hour ago, loppantorkel said:

Try pressing Ctrl + G in battle and all UI is gone. Totally different feeling of the game just by doing this. You actually have to keep your eyes peeled to find the ships. I think it would be interesting/fun to try an alternate mode with less UI and, not more simulation, but more basics when playing and cooperating.

The only thing that would be nice to have is a cross hair. ...and perhaps the cross hair crossed when targeting a friendly ship. ..and perhaps some way to communicate with your teammates. ..and maybe the buttons of your consumables when needed.

WG is experimenting with new game modes. Maybe less UI and less info, minimap etc would be something to try? Try it for yourself at the start of the battle.

I don't think this is really compatible with WoWs. Most likely you should check out War Thunder (their ships aren't out yet, I think, but they should be in not-so-different future).

WoWs is too reliant on various arcade mechanics - and while it makes sense here for, say, a DD to pop up at 5km from you, it doesn't work so well when there's no minimap and no marker and you're on your own to realize that the empty sea right next to you suddenly isn't empty anymore...

At the very least, such a game mode would require a completely different balancing. Not to mention that it would be hard to uphold proper mod policy. Currently mods (even the illegal ones) don't give you much advantage, so dealing with them isn't a super high priority issue. But imagine how much of an edge would a player get just for getting a bunch of basic UI elements back in this "no UI" mode.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done or even that it couldn't be done well but it's A LOT of work to bring into the game something that doesn't really fit all that well with the normal gameplay. Currently the game modes have their quirks but they're all basically the same WoWs and play in the same basic way. It wouldn't be the case for "your" game mode though.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
1,061 posts
9,721 battles

Perhaps there should be a small scale (say four man) operation wherein your own ships are 'damaged' and the UI info isn't available to you as a result, maybe with meeting objectives to repair your systems (UI) to win the Operation? I'd be down for that. 

[COSTS]
Players
38 posts
7,907 battles
11 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

...snip...

Careful what you wish for, mate.

WG literally destroyed WoWp with the "experiment" called 2.0: less UI, zombified minimap, cartoon-like gameplay and - the "winner" - respawns.

Anyway, I'll try what you suggested, despite the flaws you also mentioned.

[NOHE]
[NOHE]
Players
239 posts
6,977 battles
2 hours ago, maxram68 said:

Careful what you wish for, mate.

WG literally destroyed WoWp with the "experiment" called 2.0: less UI, zombified minimap, cartoon-like gameplay and - the "winner" - respawns.

Yet a lot of people also liked it compared to what WoWp used to be.

Besides, it's not like this new game mode has to change the rest of the game experience. Just add a checkmark box for the game mode in the menus like they did for encounter and assault in World of tanks. Or just add "Barebones Random Battles" or something, at least until they've figured out if the game mode will work.

Still, since Bastion was a thing, I won't deny that new game modes won't go wrong because of something that wasn't quite foreseeable.

[UNICS]
Players
4,501 posts
15,942 battles
15 hours ago, Reaper_JackGBR said:

Perhaps there should be a small scale (say four man) operation wherein your own ships are 'damaged' and the UI info isn't available to you as a result, maybe with meeting objectives to repair your systems (UI) to win the Operation? I'd be down for that. 

That would be pretty interesting. ...and for another twist - let players be able to drop in and be the opposing ships. A four ship, tier 6-7 division with objectives, opposed by random players with the goal to prevent the objectives being fulfilled, but in tier 3-5 ships. Perhaps in full UI mode.

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles

I don't like this idea in an arcade game.

I would love to see the forts coming back, and some actual benefits for caping a zone, maybe in another game mode than pure domination.

I would not touch the UI to add another game mode.

Players
685 posts
5,677 battles

As much as I think no UI modes is a terrible idea, it is still better than this apparent "be in circle for buff" mode that they are apparently testing.

Cant wait for matches to be decided because a buff circle spawns practically on top of one team and is unreachable for the other.

Players
341 posts
6,911 battles

I wouldn't mind a hardcore mode with reduced UI, no or reduced damage control and more realistic damage effects. Also constant weather effects, like the cyclone but instead of just decreasing to 8km visibility, visibility varies somewhat randomly. On the ocean map so none of this island camping nonsense either.

• Cool 1

[PIKAS]
Beta Tester
2,262 posts
6,599 battles

i am familiar with flying IL2 without Icons and mapicons !

That worked very well in a lot of online Wars.

But here........doubtfull. At least as Long the Teams are mixed nations.

[UNICS]
Players
4,501 posts
15,942 battles
1 hour ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

As much as I think no UI modes is a terrible idea, it is still better than this apparent "be in circle for buff" mode that they are apparently testing.

Sometimes terrible is good enough :cap_tea:

Sign in to follow this