Sign in to follow this  
howardxu_23

Experience of nagato so far+ asking for tips on improving nagato play?

18 comments in this topic

[COMFY]
Players
792 posts
2,025 battles

Just got the nagato, and here is my experience of it so far:

A hull: I got vaporised 4 times in a row without being able to do much, so much so that I rage spent 20k of my 50k free exp that was supposed to set aside for b/c hull izumo.

for b hull I still feel that the 2.0 sigma is still trolly for some reason, and 32s reload is certainly a massive change from fuso, now you have to make every salvo count, and I'm a potato at it. But she certainly takes far longer time to die. But with dem big guns I can now finally delete broadsiding BB scrubs that have gone scot free for too long when I'm in fuso(not enough pen + tiny guns) although I still need to improve my aim to make it reliable.

That said, Big guns means nothing but overpens on cruisers, with the irony that you can delete cruisers more reliably   when they are further then 12km. Any closer then shooting them through the bow is the only reliable method. Oh and shell groupings feels tighter when further for whatever reason(will need to play more to confirm)

secondarys shoot nothing but ap, but are deceptively accurate even without buffs, although getting close enough means your main guns also become inaccurate :P(da hell with that logic)

I have also heard that the experience of her is similar to marmite here, as in you either hate it, or you love it. So I'm asking for tips on how to love it.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

Nagato needs some getting used to and yes, she is a polarizing ship.

You are moving up from the Fuso, a ship you can hardly miss a target with due to the number of shells in the air. Now you have to make due with only two thirds of those shells and the randomizer might sometimes mess with you. it took me quite while to get used to her. My results in the first 20 battles or so where miserable. You'll need to get used to the different gun behavior.

Never show broadside if you can avoid it. This will quickly get you erased from the map. What you need to remember is that she is quite agile for a BB while her armor protection is not the best. You'll have to combine those two facts and learn to properly angle yourself. While you are angled you can really take a beating and will still be standing. You can approach an enemy at a slight angle while reloading, turn just enough to fire all your guns, then angle back again. You can do the same while retreating. With some training you'll soon be skipping between angled and firing position in perfect timing with your reload cycle.

I hope this first piece of advice will already help you.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,156 posts
14,106 battles

Ignore your secondaries, not need to get that close.

Always look for broadside targets, even if they are a bit further away than others, unless your team has a real focus target that has to be removed quickly.

Train your aiming. Nagato is all about guns.

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,735 posts
5,280 battles

The only expirience I have of the Nagato is being on the receiving end, and she sure hits like a truck.

Players
234 posts
1,188 battles

I always try to use the maximum angle possible when firing off a salvo.

Basically an Amagi Wiggle but with the Nagato.

Should be decent practise for when you do get the Amagi.

:cap_hmm:

Think the same applies for most battlecruisers and fast battleships.

The downside for some of other nations, however, are the poorer firing angles exposing your broadside too much.

Also, aren't the training rooms now in the vanilla client?

Maybe try a couple of rounds in there to get the hang of the ballistic dynamics.

[COMFY]
Players
792 posts
2,025 battles

K ditched secondary battery mod, now dispersion feels glorious, and with my playstyle changes to keep enemies at least 10km Away from me, RNGods finally bestowed the honor of punishing scrubs to me in my last battle. Enemy broadsiding Kongo got vaporised, 3x citadel to the face. Helena reversed out of cover thinking she is super snek? Also vaporised. Bayern thinking German steel is the best? Full hp to half hp in a instant, plus one citadel. Our destroyer then spots 2 other camping bbs showing full broadside to me. Removed 1/2 of one of the bbs hp with 1 citadel, missed the other guy however, but made him decide that Brown pants are a better option and he ran away.

Did not do much afterwards apart from throwing steel at a destroyer, since everyone else in red team decided they rather camp at spawn then push.

Beta Tester
10 posts
616 battles

From my experience so far.. this ship is complete crap. Shells go everywhere just not on target, sluggish, range is meh. Literally my first dozen games were outright all losses and with all the CV spam it does not get anymuch better. I got all the upgrades and tried dispersion and turret traverse mod, both feel absolutly nonsignificant. It's just a Tier7 Kawachii... nothing more nothing less and that is disappointing enough coming from the Fuso

The frustration this ship is giving me makes me want to uninstall for real.. let alone the thought of grinding even more

• Bad 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,735 posts
5,280 battles
2 hours ago, PredatorJ82 said:

From my experience so far.. this ship is complete crap. Shells go everywhere just not on target, sluggish, range is meh. Literally my first dozen games were outright all losses and with all the CV spam it does not get anymuch better. I got all the upgrades and tried dispersion and turret traverse mod, both feel absolutly nonsignificant. It's just a Tier7 Kawachii... nothing more nothing less and that is disappointing enough coming from the Fuso

The frustration this ship is giving me makes me want to uninstall for real.. let alone the thought of grinding even more

Give her time, she's not a easy ship to get to grips with, but once you do she is worth it.

Beta Tester
10 posts
616 battles
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

Give her time, she's not a easy ship to get to grips with, but once you do she is worth it.

I'd wish, but with this constant CV spam... just no

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,735 posts
5,280 battles
3 minutes ago, PredatorJ82 said:

I'd wish, but with this constant CV spam... just no

Should start to go back to a more normal state in 8,4..Or you could just take refuge in co-op.:Smile-_tongue:

Beta Tester
10 posts
616 battles
Just now, lafeel said:

Should start to go back to a more normal state in 8,4..Or you could just take refuge in co-op.:Smile-_tongue:

Hopefully, and yeah, maybe that's more of an option since AA is not really a strength of japanese BB's at all

Players
8,089 posts
8,914 battles

I mean, planes are annoying, but by far not the end of the world. If they were, no T7 BB would be worthwhile. Good CVs won't give a damn even if you are in a Hood, which likely is the best AA BB you currently can find at T7 (due to defAA), while bad CVs managed to lose entire squads to my Nagato's two flak bursts, because why dodge?

So, apart from the CV menace, the rest of the ship is absolutely solid. Nagato is one of the most accurate BBs at T7, only rivalled by Colorado (better accuracy at short and medium range, worse at long range) and Hood (worse sigma, better base dispersion). If the shells feel less accurate than Fuso, yeah well, that is certainly not a ship issue. Similarly, Nagato is faster than Fuso and while there are faster BBs at T7, it is fast enough to keep up, without running into the issues of the Colorado. The lulziest claim though got to be...

3 hours ago, PredatorJ82 said:

range is meh.

With 20.46 km range fully upgraded and access to a goddamn spotter plane, I cannot imagine how the Nagato requires even more range to be effective.

3 hours ago, PredatorJ82 said:

I got all the upgrades and tried dispersion and turret traverse mod, both feel absolutly nonsignificant.

Turret traverse mod is useless, either take dispersion or AA. Personally, I use dispersion, because whoever dies to 4 explosions is dumb enough to die to 2.

Nagato overall is a very very good T7 BB. It was my first T7 BB and I just recently rebought it after playing almost all the other T7 BBs. after playing Colorado and liking that one for its incredibly good guns, I finally rebought Nagato a couple weeks ago as it should be similar gunnery on a faster hull and boy, Nagato is still a good ship and absolutely worth it. Even bought the permacamo and personally, if T7 ranked was a thing, I'd still consider the Nagato one of the, if not the best free pick for BB (Hood for overall).

• Cool 1

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
338 posts
6,079 battles
On 5/18/2019 at 2:15 AM, Cagliostro_chan said:

...personally, if T7 ranked was a thing, I'd still consider the Nagato one of the, if not the best free pick for BB (Hood for overall).

I am finding Nagato a good counter to Sinops this ranked sprint. That massive penetration really works against Sinop and also Duke of York can be citadeled pretty easily from broadside 10-14km. My tactic with Nagato in 6v6 is to go for enemy BBs draw their attention and let others deal with cruisers if possible.

Beta Tester
122 posts
2,784 battles

so.. should I rebuy it?
On the old road to the yamato i was in a rush and to be fair i hated that ship and i played it very bad... but now im getting a little annoyed by akatsuki, my t7 keeper (cv, 6.4 camo)

Players
8,089 posts
8,914 battles
3 hours ago, Thejagdpanther said:

so.. should I rebuy it?
On the old road to the yamato i was in a rush and to be fair i hated that ship and i played it very bad... but now im getting a little annoyed by akatsuki, my t7 keeper (cv, 6.4 camo)

Depends on what you expect of it. Nagato, like Colorado, is a non-nonsense BB at T7. Great main battery, all-or-nothing armour, decent hp pool, no special effects, a joy for BB purists really. It's what made it a staple choice for competitive, until it got kinda powercrept by Sinop which basically does the same job but with better armour, speed and damage control. Additionally, it is T7, so just short of high-tier, where plating increases to 32 mm. If bottom tier, Nagato contributes a superb set of guns to the team, but a bit limited tanking capability, compared to other more tanky BBs, like Hood, Gneisenau or Sinop. For randoms, it is still ok, if you don't want something super special and just want vanilla BB.

• Cool 1

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
338 posts
6,079 battles
20 hours ago, Sleepy_Bunny said:

Depends on what you expect of it. Nagato, like Colorado, is a non-nonsense BB at T7. Great main battery, all-or-nothing armour, decent hp pool, no special effects, a joy for BB purists really. It's what made it a staple choice for competitive, until it got kinda powercrept by Sinop which basically does the same job but with better armour, speed and damage control. Additionally, it is T7, so just short of high-tier, where plating increases to 32 mm. If bottom tier, Nagato contributes a superb set of guns to the team, but a bit limited tanking capability, compared to other more tanky BBs, like Hood, Gneisenau or Sinop. For randoms, it is still ok, if you don't want something super special and just want vanilla BB.

To be fair Nagato does not have all-or-nothing armour in it´s purest sense but Colorado indeed has it. Sinop has powercrept everything at tier 7 but as said before I think Nagato is one of the best BBs to punish them hard. I will keep Nagato in my port for future ranked seasons.

Players
8,089 posts
8,914 battles
9 hours ago, TohtoriP said:

To be fair Nagato does not have all-or-nothing armour in it´s purest sense but Colorado indeed has it. Sinop has powercrept everything at tier 7 but as said before I think Nagato is one of the best BBs to punish them hard. I will keep Nagato in my port for future ranked seasons.

Nagato lacks any reinforced armour plating except on turrets, conning tower and the citadel protection.

Sign in to follow this