Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
British_Imperialist

I suck at BBs, it just won't click. Even after grinding to tier 10.

26 comments in this topic

Players
202 posts
2,483 battles

Title. I ground my way up to Yamato (with boosters, admittedly) and I still just... Don't get it. I feel confident in Cruisers and Destroyers, but most of the time in a BB I feel so hopeless and just feel like prey for everyone. My BB stats reflect this. (Although I do need to fix my Zao stats). 

Are BBs just not for me?

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
763 posts
12,431 battles

Your overall BB win rate doesn't seem bad, so perhaps you don't suck as much as the PR rating thinks you do.

You mainly play solo, and certainly at TX it is difficult for a solo player to maintain a 50% win rate.

This dataset is not fully loaded or up to date yet, but it gives an idea of the solo vs division effect.

Screenshot from 2018-08-18 11-48-13.png

Screenshot from 2018-08-18 11-48-17.png

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
8,279 battles
18 minutes ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

Are BBs just not for me?

Correct?

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
763 posts
12,431 battles

Also, the OP does not have a lot of battles at TX to make a judgment too soon. Not everybody is a natural at this game, and it took me about 250 battles in Mino to drag it into average PR territory.

[HOO]
Players
1,885 posts
3,704 battles

@The_Dunk_SquadIt might just be that IJN BB's don't suit you. One of the other BB lines might be better suited to your play style.

I like you don't feel comfortable in a BB when sailing alone, I get much better results when I div, in cruisers it's the opposite effect.

I like cruisers because I can react and change what I do depending on the flow of battle, more easily.

A wise man with much better stats than I once told me that as a BB player you don't really decide where to go, the rest of the team do, so you kind of have to go and support what they want to do, in terms of caps etc.

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
763 posts
12,431 battles
4 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

@The_Dunk_SquadIt might just be that IJN BB's don't suit you. One of the other BB lines might be better suited to your play style.

I like you don't feel comfortable in a BB when sailing alone, I get much better results when I div, in cruisers it's the opposite effect.

I like cruisers because I can react and change what I do depending on the flow of battle, more easily.

A wise man with much better stats than I once told me that as a BB player you don't really decide where to go, the rest of the team do, so you kind of have to go and support what they want to do, in terms of caps etc.

Similar effect for cruiser really, but don't seem so balanced on historical data: (note WIP and hidden accounts cannot be included) - DD's balance is possibly even worse though. Periodic data will not be available for at least a couple of months.

Screenshot from 2018-08-18 12-08-55.png

Screenshot from 2018-08-18 12-09-08.png

Screenshot from 2018-08-18 12-11-17.png

Screenshot from 2018-08-18 12-11-23.png

• Cool 1

Players
6,350 posts
10,576 battles
39 minutes ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

Are BBs just not for me?

Post a replay or 2-3? Im sure a few people are willing to have a look and give you a few ideas how you can improve. There is always room for improvement anyway.

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
2,502 posts
6,099 battles

it could be you dont like japanese bbs.

I started with american bbs, but absolutely hated them for whatever reason, then i went on to german bbs, but i just couldnt deal with the extreme randomness of the guns.

Then i went for ijn bbs, and so far ive really liked them up to tier 7, we shall see how it progresses, anyhow, find out what it is that you are trying to do in your bbs, and find the line most suited for this

[CATS]
Players
26,232 posts
14,139 battles
1 hour ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

Title. I ground my way up to Yamato (with boosters, admittedly) and I still just... Don't get it. I feel confident in Cruisers and Destroyers, but most of the time in a BB I feel so hopeless and just feel like prey for everyone. My BB stats reflect this. (Although I do need to fix my Zao stats). 

Are BBs just not for me?

When you do not feel confident in low and mid Tier BB, it is pretty useless to go even higher.

The higher the Tier, the more demanding the gameplay.

• Cool 1

Players
3,168 posts
4,770 battles
1 hour ago, Armorin said:

Also, the OP does not have a lot of battles at TX to make a judgment too soon. 

This. But also he have Yamato for his first TX.

Yamato is for experienced BB players, not starters. And whoever plays with the Yamato should be aware he is one of most wanted targets in battles.

[THESO]
Players
571 posts
11,444 battles

I've also wondered about this, but never really dived into it. For me, the bigger the boat the more difficult I find it to make a difference in the battle. I have  65 % win rate in  in destroyers, 60 % in cruisers and 58 % in battleships.

I play across the tiers in all types, and have roughly equal number of games in all, so the data set should be OK. Is it just my style of play and incompetence in BB's, or is this something that is more universally true?

Additional note: I don't think I do anything massively stupid in the BB's. I don't play them like a DD and die early death due to getting all the fire.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,555 posts
8,858 battles
15 minutes ago, asalonen said:

I've also wondered about this, but never really dived into it. For me, the bigger the boat the more difficult I find it to make a difference in the battle. I have  65 % win rate in  in destroyers, 60 % in cruisers and 58 % in battleships.

I play across the tiers in all types, and have roughly equal number of games in all, so the data set should be OK. Is it just my style of play and incompetence in BB's, or is this something that is more universally true?

Additional note: I don't think I do anything massively stupid in the BB's. I don't play them like a DD and die early death due to getting all the fire.

Just realized it, for me its the other way around, but thats also due to other reasons^^ (Missouri/division setup)

Ofc BBs are always considered to be the easy/safe class, but in the end, playing like that doesnt really win battles. I too think, having an impact on the game is hard in a BB, however, not having a BB in a critical situation does make a huge difference.

I see BBs kinda as an area denial tool. There is just no way that a Cruiser will come too close to the proximity of the BB, and usualy other BBs dont do that either. Basicly that means, you have to force the BB away.

BBs need other classes, aswell as the others need BBs. So playing a Division with BB + Cruiser/DD is usually better than playing 2x Cruiser f.e.

Also i think, a BB scoring high damage numbers wont necessarly win the battle, it also has to absorb some of the incoming fire and make a presence on the battlefield.

• Cool 2

[N3XUS]
Players
1,101 posts
23,849 battles

At first I struggled too much with Conqueror (...slow, not enough hits, difficult to avoid torps, sluggish). But then I decided to get rid of Damage Control System Mod. 2 and replaced it with Engine Boost (makes handling far more pleasant, gives the BB engine power) + I got rid of Aiming Systems Mod. 1 and got AA Guns Mod.2. And now ConQ feels/plays as a completely different (better!) ship: damage done is stable between 75K<--->180K (consistent) and since I got rid of Aiming Systems Mod 1, now my ConQ does OK damage, OK number of hits. And about Engine Boost: i like it(!)...now I can change speed far better and ship-handles more smooth; it's also far more easy for ConQ now to avoid incoming torps, So, my ConQ plays very nicely now, like it. And about Damage Control System Mod 2 (I prefer to play without it) opinions can differ. But imo FP (= 4-points capts. skill) benefits Conq suffuciently. Just how I experienced it myself. And I am not a real BB-player (I mostly play DD's + Cruisers).

In fact, reminds me of my past experiences with Nagato (VII): didn't do enought hits also, till I decided to replace Aiming Sys. Mod1 with AA Guns Mod2 and as from that moment my Nagato went doing very ok/nice hittings, nice damages done. I don't know about the technical reason for this, but it easy easy to find out yrself: you try it out yourself and see (...especially easy now since Upgrades have 50% deduction price this weekend).

[UNICS]
Players
4,501 posts
15,942 battles
58 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

And whoever plays with the Yamato should be aware he is one of most wanted targets in battles.

Unless a dd is spotted. ..or a radar cruiser.. or any other cruiser for the matter... ..or a cv.. ..or any tier 8 or 9 bb.. Yes, yama is probably the most wanted target in battle.

edit: I'm not performing super well in bbs either. One reason is that I haven't a clue what armours I can pen. It's trial and error during battles. Still fun enough.

• Cool 1

Players
1,245 posts
9,293 battles

I'm comfortable in BB's, but I've always felt it's more difficult to swing a game in a BB. Hence the mediocre win rates.

It's DD's and occasionally CL/CA who cap. It's CL/CA, and to a slightly lesser extent DD, who're the main anti-DD tool. CV's have a massive influence, between denying caps, vision control, pure damage, and denying all of these to the enemy (by countering their CV).

BB then ... you can't do a heck of a lot on your own. You generally don't cap. Alone, you're easy fodder to both DD and CV, also well played HE spam cruisers. If the rest of the team is good, you'll support them to victory, by being a damage piñata instead of your team's other ships. If your DD and CL/CA and possible CV don't do their job ... you're unlikely to fill in.

Players
3,168 posts
4,770 battles
Just now, loppantorkel said:

Unless a dd is spotted. ..or a radar cruiser.. or any other cruiser for the matter... ..or a cv.. ..or any tier 8 or 9 bb.. Yes, yama is probably the most wanted target in battle.

You cant compare Yamato to any other BB in the game (especially lower tiers) exept Kurfurst, because these two big boys are magnet for juicy grind of damage junky's.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,555 posts
8,858 battles
18 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

edit: I'm not performing super well in bbs either. One reason is that I haven't a clue what armours I can pen. It's trial and error during battles. Still fun enough.

For hightiers its imo easy, midtiers its a bit weirder:

- Yamato and Musashi can pen all, except GK, which has 50mm mostly on the bow, alltho its 32mm at the top of the Bow and bow deck.

- No other T10 BB can overmatch any BB it can face.

- Any T9 BB can overmatch any T7 BB

- Any T8 BB can overmatch any T6/T7 BB

- Any T7 BB (except Lyon, KGV, DoY) can overmatch any T5 T6 and T7 BB

- Exceptions from above can overmatch T5 BBs AFAIK (dont pin me down on that one^^)

- T6: Bayern, Warspite and QE can overmatch all T5-T7 BBs.

- All other T6 BBs can only overmatch T5 BBs (again not 100% on that one)

- Bayern is an exception within itself, it can be overmatched at upper bow, but not lower bow

- For T5 i think they can overmatch all T4s and T5s, but nothing higher. Again, not 100% sure.

In values:

All T8-10 BBs got 32mm bow armor, which can only be penetrated by 460mm Yamato/Musashi shells

All T6-T7 BBs (i think?) have 25mm Bow armor, which can be overmatched by 358+mm caliber, only Bayern, Warspite and QE have 381mm guns on T6, thats why they can overmatch the bow, and others cant. While Lyon, KGV and DoY got 340/356mm guns on T7, thats why they cant overmatch the others.

T5 BBs have 16? mm Bow or something like that, but not sure. I dont play that many T5 BBs^^

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
808 posts
8,067 battles

The key to playing BB is being patience. Also you have to prioritize your targets. If you see a full broadside cruiser at 15KM and a full up DD at 8KM shoot the DD. Another important thing is knowing which side to push. Dispersion is a hit or miss lol

Beta Tester, Players
707 posts
5 hours ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

Are BBs just not for me?

BBs have nothing to do with skill ... it is all luck 

mmang

Players
202 posts
2,483 battles
1 minute ago, Mangrey said:

BBs have nothing to do with skill ... it is all luck 

mmang

I just don't feel confident in them though, I just don't feel like I have the power to affect the game like I do in a Cruiser.

Beta Tester, Players
707 posts

Well i guess you like control. and the only control in a BB is where you are sailing  and thats it

mang

Players
8,116 posts
8,931 battles

4 minutes ago, Mangrey said:

Well i guess you like control. and the only control in a BB is where you are sailing  and thats it

mang

Well, that's basically what BBs need skills for. To get enough out of the ship to matter. It's the easiest to do something in, it is not as easy to be decisive with. A good BB can have an impact though.

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Yam is a slow witted PoS, the last good tech tree IJN BB was the Amagi.

I know Yam and Musashi have their supporters but I want a ship that actually responds to commands and isn't the size of an island. The overmatch potential of the guns are overrated too as they can still be angled against.

• Cool 1

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,352 posts
9,549 battles
4 hours ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

I just don't feel confident in them though, I just don't feel like I have the power to affect the game like I do in a Cruiser.

Half of my games I don't feel like It matters whether I'm afk or not due to either my or enemy team losing 6 ships with no caps, falling below 0 points and thus ending the game. 

Anyway If you still want to play wows in some competitive way spend time mastering the ship/class. From lower tiers up to higher is the best way of learning since it's easier to learn lower tiers and then you stepping into high tiers with confidence. The most important for you is your ship performance I.e. dmg/kills/spotting/potential dmg - as long as you keep those high you at least know your team benefit from having you on their side. Now even when your win rate is low or average you know you mostly have bad luck and teams and it's not you bringing them down. Having premium consumables and 19points captain with the right skills for a ship is as important and using them in the right time and using your ship's abilities to its fullest. Personal skill also plays a role. Some people don't really watch any guides and stuff and will just play well.

Now even with all that your win rate may still vary a lot on different ships. Win rate is like a separate thing because If you are unlucky or playing solo even worse players than you may have better win rate IF they have friends to div. with them and carry them or simply good players playing div. and pumping it up way above of what they would have playing solo. Overpowered ships will always do more in battle/have bigger impact on the outcome if used correctly and in a log run achieving better win rate than bad ships.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this