Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
nooberg

Deep Water Torps - surprising find

30 comments in this topic

[GW_KR]
Players
214 posts
19,983 battles

Deep Water torpedoes CAN pass under a shipwreck of a Destroyer.

Apparently the game still treats the recently deceased DD, in the process of sinking, as a normal DD and let them pass right trough.

I guess the already deep water torps have to go even deeper. Amazing technology :)

Jokes aside, pretty rare occurrence - for all my gameplay with Pan Asian DDs since they were released last night was the first time it happened.

Fired a spread at one stationary Yamato, then a low health Shima popped right infront of it and got killed on the spot. To my surprise (and the Yamato's too) torps still passed trough and hit him.

(apologies for my glaring noobishness if this is known far and wide)

• Cool 11

[R3B3L]
Players
870 posts
29,084 battles
2 minutes ago, nooberg said:

apologies for my glaring noobishness if this is known far and wide

No, to me that´s new :fish_haloween: so thanks for sharing!

Weekend Tester
997 posts
5,700 battles

Doesn't ashashio torps go below all wrecks? I remember doublestriking two BBs in a smoke that were right behind each other.

Players
6,358 posts
10,582 battles
1 minute ago, Lord_WC said:

Doesn't ashashio torps go below all wrecks? I remember doublestriking two BBs in a smoke that were right behind each other.

Interesting. You could maybe test this in the training room to confirm?

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,405 posts
4,189 battles

That seems logical seeing as wrecks don't actually gain depth in game, but rather just disappear...

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
1 hour ago, nooberg said:

Deep Water torpedoes CAN pass under a shipwreck of a Destroyer.

Apparently the game still treats the recently deceased DD, in the process of sinking, as a normal DD and let them pass right trough.

I guess the already deep water torps have to go even deeper. Amazing technology :)

Jokes aside, pretty rare occurrence - for all my gameplay with Pan Asian DDs since they were released last night was the first time it happened.

Fired a spread at one stationary Yamato, then a low health Shima popped right infront of it and got killed on the spot. To my surprise (and the Yamato's too) torps still passed trough and hit him.

(apologies for my glaring noobishness if this is known far and wide)

Odd, and logically a bit busted as normal torpedoes will get stopped by a wreck, guess the coding treats the wreck as on the surface, I assume it's the way it's been for a long time before the DWT's happened.

I'd never noticed it myself, I wonder if it's the same for other ship hulks? Will have to have a fiddle in the training room, it should be easy enough to replicate.

Thanks for posting it though I had no idea it happened :Smile_teethhappy:

Beta Tester
4,775 posts
19,903 battles

Deepwater torps still not working on russian DDs has way more need to be changed. RU DDs = Cruisers and should be treated as such

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,551 posts
17,833 battles
1 hour ago, HMS_Argosax said:

They are also the only torps that go under islands

Inflatable islands best islands. They can be relocated at will :Smile_teethhappy:.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,667 posts
11,790 battles
5 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Odd, and logically a bit busted as normal torpedoes will get stopped by a wreck, guess the coding treats the wreck as on the surface, I assume it's the way it's been for a long time before the DWT's happened.

I'd never noticed it myself, I wonder if it's the same for other ship hulks? Will have to have a fiddle in the training room, it should be easy enough to replicate.

Thanks for posting it though I had no idea it happened :Smile_teethhappy:

Actually I'm pretty sure that torps can go above sinking wreck (no idea if they can go above a "submarine" when a living ship gets pulled completely underwater).

The thing with DWTs is that I don't think they're really modeled to travel any deeper and their ability to hit targets doesn't depend on how deep they sit in the water - otherwise some cruisers would be safe or some DDs would be eating them. DWTs just phase through the targets they're not supposed to hit - and this extends to their wrecks.

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
46 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Actually I'm pretty sure that torps can go above sinking wreck (no idea if they can go above a "submarine" when a living ship gets pulled completely underwater).

The thing with DWTs is that I don't think they're really modeled to travel any deeper and their ability to hit targets doesn't depend on how deep they sit in the water - otherwise some cruisers would be safe or some DDs would be eating them. DWTs just phase through the targets they're not supposed to hit - and this extends to their wrecks.

I've definitely had normal torpedoes hit a wreck, it's a bit aggravating at times, once the wreck "sinks" I don't think it exists as an object, just a graphics effect.

I must test in the training room with DWT's firing through different types of dead targets, will do it later.

OK, I tested it, sank Gearing with guns and Yuey torps travelled right through the fresh wreck.

Sank Zao with guns, Yuey torps hit the wreck, even tried when the wreck was almost gone, it's a bit tricky to time as I don't know exactly how long a ship stays as a wreck and then disappears, but they hit it.

Replay attached. Not much of a test, but pretty clear in the case of a DD wreck at least.

20180818_005627_PZSD110-Hsiang-Yang_01_solomon_islands.wowsreplay

[OCTO]
Players
1,183 posts
25,578 battles
11 hours ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Deepwater torps still not working on russian DDs has way more need to be changed. RU DDs = Cruisers and should be treated as such

Now, now play nicely and retract claws.... 

Greetings from Khabarovsk bridge....

[LEEUW]
Players
2,281 posts
10,068 battles
14 hours ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

How about no.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,667 posts
11,790 battles
9 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

I've definitely had normal torpedoes hit a wreck, it's a bit aggravating at times, once the wreck "sinks" I don't think it exists as an object, just a graphics effect.

Yes, it exists as an object (you can even bump into it, push it around or get blocked by it depending on relative size). It still has a collision model - to pass above it, a (normal, not DD-phasing) torp would obviously need a place where there's (enough) water above it. And I'm pretty sure this can happen (at least I think it happened to my torps sometimes that they passed over a sinking wreck or even over parts of the wreck that were underwater while some were still above...

Since your tests with Zao seem to be contradicting that last part, I might try testing it myself at some point (but I don't know if I care enough, frankly - I'm pretty lazy :Smile-_tongue:

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
3 hours ago, eliastion said:

Yes, it exists as an object (you can even bump into it, push it around or get blocked by it depending on relative size). It still has a collision model - to pass above it, a (normal, not DD-phasing) torp would obviously need a place where there's (enough) water above it. And I'm pretty sure this can happen (at least I think it happened to my torps sometimes that they passed over a sinking wreck or even over parts of the wreck that were underwater while some were still above...

Since your tests with Zao seem to be contradicting that last part, I might try testing it myself at some point (but I don't know if I care enough, frankly - I'm pretty lazy :Smile-_tongue:

I think that's a question of timing. Right at the end of the animation of the wreck disappearing it stops being an object you can hit with a ship and is just a graphical effect. It's getting the timing right to test and I think that would be tricky.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,667 posts
11,790 battles
3 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

I think that's a question of timing. Right at the end of the animation of the wreck disappearing it stops being an object you can hit with a ship and is just a graphical effect. It's getting the timing right to test and I think that would be tricky.

Perhaps the right ship to test this would be one of the British cruisers? I don't remember how many torps they tend to have, but they can fire them one by one with great precision so that you get a controlled streak of torps passing where you want them to (and look when they start getting through).

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
12 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Perhaps the right ship to test this would be one of the British cruisers? I don't remember how many torps they tend to have, but they can fire them one by one with great precision so that you get a controlled streak of torps passing where you want them to (and look when they start getting through).

Wouldn't help the DWT question though and there's no ship that can single fire those.

Minotaur has 8 torpedoes a side, I'll tinker with it later and see what I can come up with, but there's a bit of a question of "meh, who cares?" as in real battle there's no practical way to apply the timing bar sheer fluke.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,667 posts
11,790 battles
Just now, BeauNidl3 said:

Wouldn't help the DWT question though and there's no ship that can single fire those.

Minotaur has 8 torpedoes a side, I'll tinker with it later and see what I can come up with, but there's a bit of a question of "meh, who cares?" as in real battle there's no practical way to apply the timing bar sheer fluke.

Well, with DWT the main question is if they phase through sinking destroyers and I thought the answer was "yes"?

Also, true, this is mostly an academic discussion anyway, especially considering that there are a couple different sinking patterns.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,667 posts
11,790 battles
On 8/18/2018 at 7:01 PM, puxflacet said:

That was found out right after they were introduced. Im just surprised that it wasnt fixed yet.

It wasn't fixed because there's nothing to fix - it's a design decision, not a bug, so that ships that wouldn't block torps when alive don't suddenly become torp-blockers when they die.

Anyway, this is not what I came here to talk about...

@BeauNidl3, I've done... well, I wouldn't say "testing" - I just spotted an opportunity while getting my missing XP for the last part of second daily chain in coop. There was a BB and she was sunk - the hull was at an angle since the siking pattern was to turn around and then sink nose in. I've made screenshot of a double spread of torpedoes:

torp-test.thumb.jpg.be60d5a6429f40b108283e257d749e4e.jpg

Notice how the only torps blocked are these that actually impact on the sticking-out part of the hull. A good number of the torps passes ABOVE the part of the hull that's already deep enough underwater (you can see the lighter stretch of disturbed water over the hull - and how torps are passing through this disturbed water without impacting anything).

A sinking hull is, of course, a physical object - but not just a placeholder obstacle present in the position where the ship has sunk. It's REALLY a physical object in the game environment and if part of it goes underwater deep enough, torps can easily pass over that part as there's simply nothing there on/near the surface to collide with anymore.

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts

@eliastion it makes sense the rendered bit is still an obstruction as expected, it's clear from that shot that they've made the sinking animation work in stages which is also interesting, good find.:cap_like:

[TOXIC]
Players
4,667 posts
11,790 battles
23 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

@eliastion it makes sense the rendered bit is still an obstruction as expected, it's clear from that shot that they've made the sinking animation work in stages which is also interesting, good find.:cap_like:

I'm not sure what you understand by "working in stages"? :cap_hmm:

Sign in to follow this