Jump to content
Flandre Bug Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
HaachamaShipping

The new Myogi - Actually fun?!

28 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Because few commented on this, I thought I'd make a thread about it to see if I'm alone or whether others share the experience - The new buffed Myogi is actually pretty reliable now.

 

I have a bit of a fondness for the Myogi. I started this game as an IJN BB main and basically arrived at Myogi within a week or two, after playing only Kawachi. With nothing to compare it to, it felt pretty ok. I was delighted at the speed and the guns felt punchy enough (Please don't look at my Myogi stats, I know they are crap, due to the many games I played back then). After a few arguments on whether Myogi was a decent BB at its tier or not, I rebought the ship prior to the latest buff and, I have to say, it was a bit underwhelming, after having played Wyoming, Kaiser and Ishizuchi. Then I heard a buff was coming and as one of the seemingly few Myogi fans, I was waiting patiently for the patch, to then test the new improved Myogi... with glorious 2.0 sigma. After all, not always do sigma increases necessarily mean good accuracy.

 

Well, after like two dozen games (don't want to sealclub too hard now), I think, I can say, the Myogi feels finally like what it always was supposed to be. A ship that still lacks the alpha strike of the 10 or 12 gun vessels, but which has superb handling and the ability to dictate the range. Already before, it had the good speed, good turret traverse and insane range for its tier, but that meant not much when you practically hit not much at range. Well, the new tighter shell groupings, coupled with IJN dispersion at range and the mediocre shell velocity (thus also moderate vertical dispersion) mean the Myogi has pretty nice groupings and while obviously you still need the blessings of RNG to outright delete a ship in one salvo, if you know how to aim decently well, these guns will rarely miss and I had like 1/3 hit ratios in a good few of my games, despite not making much effort of getting into brawls, but staying at medium distance with the occasional long-range shot. It feels like Myogi can now actually attempt to close in on cruisers (which at lower tiers often lack torps) for the more brutal salvos, or kite BBs, and out-trade them at least with accuracy. I don't think it is OP, given you still will be far less likely to just delete them like with Wyoming's shotgun salvo or have the sustained dpm of a Kaiser or the silly HE of Orion and Ishizuchi, but the ship now has a character that is workable, fun and kind of distinct, while also being in line with general IJN BB playstyle in later tiers. I am very positively impressed.

 

Things I noted too:

  • The guns tend to know two modes, due to the high caliber: Overpen and citadel. Penetrations happen, but the other two are far more likely than with other BBs. Either you hit a citadel and get massive damage, or overpens for almost nothing. Thankfully, the citadels come often enough and are meaty (10k damage) that the overpens can be overlooked. Sucks a bit vs DDs though.
  • While it obviously is not ideal, I still tried to test shots at extreme range, given I wanted to see how reliable that was. Let's say, I don't recommend it, but the results are far from terrible. Typically, the issue is that the target will change course. If you predicted their movement correctly though, landing 1-2 hits on a low tier cruiser is not out of the question and given you got 6 guns, that's a pretty good ratio. Obviously can earn you citadel ribbons too. If I have one qualm with the ship, it's that it might encourage long-range sniping across the (tiny low tier) maps. Then again, Yamato on the other end of the tree isn't much different in what it encourages.
  • The combination of range and accuracy means that First Blood isn't exactly a rare achievement. Would still not use Yamamoto on the ship.
  • You are unlikely to delete any ship in one salvo, so never gamble on it. Given the ship is fast, has decent hp, extreme range, decent-ish AA and secondaries, I think one can forgive the lack of devastating strike awards, especially given that this is T4. A Wyoming would envy your speed, an Orion would envy your accuracy. An Ishizuchi at best envies your AA and AP pen.

 

So, next time someone says the Myogi sucks, I guess it is fair to respond with the age old wisdom of "git gud"?

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,631 posts
6,096 battles

Not the first I've heard say this @CLyDeThaMonKeY said the same thing soon after the change.

 

Not my favorite ship ever but I might actually rebuy her now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Community Contributor, Beta Tester
415 posts
22,942 battles
18 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Not the first I've heard say this @CLyDeThaMonKeY said the same thing soon after the change.

 

Not my favorite ship ever but I might actually rebuy her now.

Gets my approval stamp :-v 

9664119703903141888_20180726213337_1.png

9664119703903141888_20180726213340_1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,430 posts
4,640 battles

I ground her in '15, and even then, I ddin't find her all that bad. Nothing special, but not infuriating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,631 posts
6,096 battles
Just now, piritskenyer said:

I ground her in '15, and even then, I ddin't find her all that bad. Nothing special, but not infuriating.

Indeed, and those guns certainly do hit like a truck, if you can hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,678 posts
13,829 battles

To be honest, I never deemed her a bad or weak ship. But a very difficult one and maybe not suited to be a T4 ship that rookies have to go through, making her more of a stepping stone much unlike her T4 peers. But if you have learned more about battleships and go back to Myogi at a later stage, you just have to admit her strengths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
4 hours ago, piritskenyer said:

I ground her in '15, and even then, I ddin't find her all that bad. Nothing special, but not infuriating.

tbf, back then her only competition was Wyoming.

45 minutes ago, deadly_if_swallowed said:

To be honest, I never deemed her a bad or weak ship. But a very difficult one and maybe not suited to be a T4 ship that rookies have to go through, making her more of a stepping stone much unlike her T4 peers. But if you have learned more about battleships and go back to Myogi at a later stage, you just have to admit her strengths.

I did that. It was... okish. The guns were, admittedly frustrating. Yes, they hit hard, but they were inaccurate, few and on a standard reload, so often I found myself using the mobility to dodge enemy salvos, but mostly dueling one or multiple ships for several minutes without being able to do much.

 

Battles like this...

shot-18_07_07_10_53.17-0009.thumb.jpg.178599dfd63b386c1f81db15877ce93c.jpg

Most of these shots were at below 8 km. Sufficed for around 25% hit rate on 6 guns...

 

The buffs rectify this, imo and make it a very solid ship, because the guns have something going for them and apart from the guns the rest of the ship is great for T4.

shot-18_08.03_03_17.39-0483.thumb.jpg.738bf00c705a5da7fb27c3e88b3a1b0c.jpg

Spoiler

shot-18_08.03_03_17.44-0469.thumb.jpg.2f93004b4969a7b814d65c659dbb19c0.jpg

shot-18_08.03_03_17.48-0814.thumb.jpg.ef94151488c8109e2fa114b12d6ee40f.jpg

shot-18_08.09_19_00.23-0571.thumb.jpg.8c60e33db202adffdf83d83b3c41601f.jpg

Spoiler

shot-18_08.09_19_00.25-0904.thumb.jpg.9cd1f6744a80cd91cbd776212d50ea82.jpg

shot-18_08.09_19_00.28-0592.thumb.jpg.681d7007c8bb69ad278c9e7d4dabbf28.jpg

shot-18_08.09_19_17.05-0872.thumb.jpg.f350c07c91d0014298621e0a8481158f.jpg

Spoiler

shot-18_08.09_19_17.09-0913.thumb.jpg.f6cc6861ec2fa4f22c50acddd1906748.jpg

shot-18_08.09_19_17.14-0347.thumb.jpg.c872edb03abb86bbe42a0a421c0e6320.jpg

30+% hitrate are now quite achievable at medium distances for me, which makes up for the low amount of guns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,430 posts
4,640 battles
3 hours ago, Riselotte said:

tbf, back then her only competition was Wyoming.

[...]

 

 

But even then people were raving about how bad she was. Out of Wyoming and Myogi, I would have probably still chosen Myogi, on nothing else than speed.

 

EDIT: rolling eyes at undeletable spoiler windows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
39 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

 

But even then people were raving about how bad she was. Out of Wyoming and Myogi, I would have probably still chosen Myogi, on nothing else than speed.

 

EDIT: rolling eyes at undeletable spoiler windows

I'd likely have chosen her too.

 

To delete spoiler windows...

Spoiler

spoiler.thumb.png.7aecb622e854545dcc9aaa3500953802.png

 

...hover over it, click on the cross that appears, which will select the spoiler window. Then press delete or backspace.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WONLY]
Players
430 posts
17,286 battles

I revisited her before the sigma buff and she already was a pretty good ship. If you use the speed and range to your advantage...she could actually carry games. But BBs with only 6 guns will never be fun to play...same reason why i hate Gneisenau.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,430 posts
4,640 battles
2 hours ago, Riselotte said:

I'd likely have chosen her too.

 

To delete spoiler windows...

  Hide contents

spoiler.thumb.png.7aecb622e854545dcc9aaa3500953802.png

 

...hover over it, click on the cross that appears, which will select the spoiler window. Then press delete or backspace.

 

 

Yay, thanku! (not deleting this one, as it's actually relevant)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 hour ago, Marble_Eyes said:

I revisited her before the sigma buff and she already was a pretty good ship. If you use the speed and range to your advantage...she could actually carry games. But BBs with only 6 guns will never be fun to play...same reason why i hate Gneisenau.

I actually love the Gneisenau. Though it's not the same playstyle. Gneisenau is a brawler, Myogi is a mid-range support ship. Though both obviously have their speed that allows them to keep up with cruisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
463 posts
8,432 battles

Loved the ship when I was starting out and leveled the IJN BB line.

Sold and rebought the ship two years later and was disappointed in its performance so sold it again.

These days I have an Ishizuchi (from supercontainer I think) otherwise I would probably rebuy the Myogi again to give it a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
15 hours ago, Raziel_Walker said:

Loved the ship when I was starting out and leveled the IJN BB line.

Sold and rebought the ship two years later and was disappointed in its performance so sold it again.

These days I have an Ishizuchi (from supercontainer I think) otherwise I would probably rebuy the Myogi again to give it a try.

I have Ishizuchi too. Overall, I'd consider Ishizuchi the better ship for T4, but I consider Ishizuchi slightly OP (it's weaknesses compared to Myogi are the terrible AP pen and the lack of AA, but neither hurts too much at T4 and with the best HE dpm of the tier). Myogi does however now have a different, but viable play style compared to the Ishizuchi.

 

I'd say, try it again when you aren't hurting for credits. T4 is pretty cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,631 posts
6,096 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

I have Ishizuchi too. Overall, I'd consider Ishizuchi the better ship for T4, but I consider Ishizuchi slightly OP (it's weaknesses compared to Myogi are the terrible AP pen and the lack of AA, but neither hurts too much at T4 and with the best HE dpm of the tier). Myogi does however now have a different, but viable play style compared to the Ishizuchi.

 

I'd say, try it again when you aren't hurting for credits. T4 is pretty cheap.

And/or have the captains to spare, presumably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
3 minutes ago, lafeel said:

And/or have the captains to spare, presumably.

It's T4. I used some 6 point captain I had leftover. But you won't be uncompetitive just because you don't have SI and CI (or FP). Myogi even has improved turret traverse, so if you cannot afford EM, that's also not the end of the world.

 

For clubbing you'd want more, but for testing, lack of skill points is just a realistic testing environment.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,631 posts
6,096 battles
Just now, Riselotte said:

It's T4. I used some 6 point captain I had leftover. But you won't be uncompetitive just because you don't have SI and CI (or FP). Myogi even has improved turret traverse, so if you cannot afford EM, that's also not the end of the world.

 

For clubbing you'd want more, but for testing, lack of skill points is just a realistic testing environment.

I am aware, but it was a point well worth making non the less, neh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

I am aware, but it was a point well worth making non the less, neh?

Maybe. Though I'd think the credits are a larger investment than getting six captain points for the basics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,631 posts
6,096 battles
1 minute ago, Riselotte said:

Maybe. Though I'd think the credits are a larger investment than getting six captain points for the basics.

Now that would depend on how many credits you have obviously. But this is a situation I will have to decide for myself, as I actually liked the Myogi as well back in the day, just not enough to keep her.

 

Kongou, however, now there was a instant keeper..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
41 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Now that would depend on how many credits you have obviously. But this is a situation I will have to decide for myself, as I actually liked the Myogi as well back in the day, just not enough to keep her.

 

Kongou, however, now there was a instant keeper..

Funnily enough, I sold my Kongou a while ago, because I needed credits for T10 grind (for CB) and I didn't play it much. Myogi I'm keeping now, Kongou I might rebuy at some point. The main issue I had with Kongou is that T5 is matched too often vs T7 and for fast battlecruiser action, something like Hood was just more fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,631 posts
6,096 battles
1 minute ago, Riselotte said:

Funnily enough, I sold my Kongou a while ago, because I needed credits for T10 grind (for CB) and I didn't play it much. Myogi I'm keeping now, Kongou I might rebuy at some point. The main issue I had with Kongou is that T5 is matched too often vs T7 and for fast battlecruiser action, something like Hood was just more fun.

True, but due to her punchy guns, and, let's not forget, that 30 knot top speed, (and that gun range) Kongou suffers less from the tier 5 mm than most. In fact, I'd argue the only tier 5 that suffers less from being uptiered so is the Cesare.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
Just now, lafeel said:

True, but due to her punchy guns, and, let's not forget, that 30 knot top speed, (and that gun range) Kongou suffers less from the tier 5 mm than most. In fact, I'd argue the only tier 5 that suffers less from being uptiered so is the Cesare.

Indeed, but it still suffers. And if I go over my list of BBs, I almost never chose Kongou, rather playing Nagato, Amagi or Hood. Or going for Gneisenau or Bismarck. Or for lower tiers, Ishizuchi, that has protected MM. It didn't help I got more BBs since, with Nelson, Scharnhorst and Kii. And that's when I don't want to play cuiser or DD. There just always was something that looked more fun or I something that either got me towards a grind target or had a better economy. I still think a premium Kongou at T6 would be a good one.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,631 posts
6,096 battles
4 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Indeed, but it still suffers. And if I go over my list of BBs, I almost never chose Kongou, rather playing Nagato, Amagi or Hood. Or going for Gneisenau or Bismarck. Or for lower tiers, Ishizuchi, that has protected MM. It didn't help I got more BBs since, with Nelson, Scharnhorst and Kii. And that's when I don't want to play cuiser or DD. There just always was something that looked more fun or I something that either got me towards a grind target or had a better economy. I still think a premium Kongou at T6 would be a good one.

Problem is, the tier 6 mm isn't much better than the tier 5 one, but I'd buy a premium T6 Haruna as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

Problem is, the tier 6 mm isn't much better than the tier 5 one, but I'd buy a premium T6 Haruna as well.

Thing is, a T6 Kongou would basically fix 3 things:

  • Guns: Not terrible, but also not reliable. Heck, the Myogi has more accurate guns now. At T6, they'd likely get something like PEF's 2.0 sigma (before it was nerfed). This removes at least some frustration. Reload could be fine with Fuso's 28 seconds.
  • Bow armour: Even if it's 25 mm, overmatched by all the 38 cm guns, bot getting overmatched by all BBs is already nice.
  • Concealment: It likely won't be good, but also not be spotted from the moon.

It'd make Kongou solid enough to be worth playing even as bottom tier. Hell, I'm playing Graf Spee and Dunkerque (though I bought that one only a few days ago on a whim).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,631 posts
6,096 battles
Just now, Riselotte said:

Thing is, a T6 Kongou would basically fix 3 things:

  • Guns: Not terrible, but also not reliable. Heck, the Myogi has more accurate guns now. At T6, they'd likely get something like PEF's 2.0 sigma (before it was nerfed). This removes at least some frustration. Reload could be fine with Fuso's 28 seconds.
  • Bow armour: Even if it's 25 mm, overmatched by all the 38 cm guns, bot getting overmatched by all BBs is already nice.
  • Concealment: It likely won't be good, but also not be spotted from the moon.

It'd make Kongou solid enough to be worth playing even as bottom tier. Hell, I'm playing Graf Spee and Dunkerque (though I bought that one only a few days ago on a whim).

You forgot one more thing: Better AA (presumably), as lets face it, Kongou's is very meh..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×