anonym_2hneAFaIyP4T

Tips for shooting with a spotter plane

12 comments in this topic

Question

Players
606 posts

TLDR: The title says it all basically...

Are there any tips for using the spotter plane? I really suck in aiming - I think it's mainly because the viewing angle throws off my distance perspective and I don't give enough lead... and when I do get the right lead, I either aim too short and miss most of the shells anyway, or just get overpens :(.

Note, in case it makes a difference, this is USN BB spotters I'm talking about!

Many Thanks!

11 answers to this question

[AAO]
Players
1,597 posts
21,623 battles

As the others said, the only way is to get more practice, especially if the target is not moving perpendicular to your viewing angle.

If you want to take your time to get an initial feeling without any pressure maybe consider using the training room.

Set up some stationary or moving bots and start blasting away.

Premium spotter plane is recommended for the training room since it does not use up consumables/flags ect.

[edited for purpose of clarification]

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,470 posts
23,343 battles

Some people change their crosshair to the one with lots of diagonal lines. It didn't help me but it's worth a try.

When aiming with a spotter you have to look at the range to the target, take into consideration if he is moving towards you / away from you and aim at the correct range where it will be when your shells arrive.

• Cool 1

Players
606 posts

Thanks for all the replys... basically, there are no shortcuts to git gud, just practice :).

I suppose the other problem is that yes it increases range, but that means IF you use it for long-range sniping, hit-rate is going to be poor at best anyway.

16 hours ago, rnat said:

Premium spotter plane is recommended since it does not use up consumables/flags ect.

What do you mean by this? I haven't really bothered with prem because it only reduces the cooldown, and I suck with it but...?

And a shoutout to @Odo_Toothless who sent me a PM because he's currently in forum-ban Gualag :Smile-_tongue:

I might try this out odo - I used to use mods but got fed up re-installing them with patch releases so I haven't bothered recently. No harm in giving one a try again ;).

[AAO]
Players
1,597 posts
21,623 battles
On 17/08/2018 at 2:16 PM, Rusty_9 said:

What do you mean by this? I haven't really bothered with prem because it only reduces the cooldown, and I suck with it but...?

That point was mainly about any training room or co-op to practice, since otherwise having to wait ages for the plane to come off cool down could be annoying, especially if using it is the only reason you're in the training room/co op battle to begin with. In randoms it's probably a waste of credits until you've gotten more comfortable with the elevated view-point.

Maybe try gunning for smoked up or island camping cruisers with it first, those don't tend to move much

(spotter helps you see the target if the island blocks view but you can still lob shells over it, e.g. at mid-long range)

few to no problems with leading the target and you can see at which elevation you get the waterline hits.

• Cool 1

Players
3,281 posts
24,928 battles

I think the problem comes in part from being used to use the waterline as a reference for your regular aiming without the spotter plane.

We aim at the waterline (or respectively, at the height level of the ship, the "deck", we want to hit) when it is moving in a straight line at the same distance.

We aim higher when the target moves away to correct for the distance increasing while the shells are on the way, and we aim lower if it is moving toward us.

Now in the spotter plane view, the waterline suddenly isn't more or less level any more but much more skewed, so the frame of reference gets bent.

• Cool 1

Players
606 posts
2 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Now in the spotter plane view, the waterline suddenly isn't more or less level any more but much more skewed, so the frame of reference gets bent.

That is true... so, where should you 'typically' aim then? Slightly higher, or slightly lower? I keep changing my mind... higher because you are looking from top-down so shells are 'plunging' more and will tend to fall short... or lower because the shells travel further horizontally to your aim point than you are used to (because of perspective)?

Players
4,392 posts
12,107 battles

The main trick is to aim like you're aiming a hair "too short" compared to "normal aiming" If you aim on target like normal the shells tempt to overshoot. And use the spotter for aiming over islands and not as much as to increase your shooting distance: the shells travel a long time. One slight course correction will throw your salvo.

• Cool 1

Players
606 posts
1 hour ago, Ferry_25 said:

The main trick is to aim like you're aiming a hair "too short" compared to "normal aiming" If you aim on target like normal the shells tempt to overshoot.

Thanks, that's great! Will try that.

1 hour ago, Ferry_25 said:

And use the spotter for aiming over islands and not as much as to increase your shooting distance: the shells travel a long time.

And yes, this is mainly what I use it for - long range sniping only mid-late game if I have managed to position myself so badly there are no better targets :)

• Cool 1

Players
4,392 posts
12,107 battles
8 minutes ago, Rusty_9 said:

And yes, this is mainly what I use it for - long range sniping only mid-late game if I have managed to position myself so badly there are no better targets :)

Indeed, that's about the only exception I can think of (and have done for that matter). Another tip which I previously forgot: the spotter plane can be a nuisance as well. Especially in a changed situation when you find yourself in close combat suddenly. Scroll zoom out in that case. With the shift the camera zooms to maximum at default, thus "overshooting" your target. It can be a pain and embarrassment to find a close target. The option to recall (and lose the rest of the consumable) has been suggested already for those kinds of situations.

• Cool 1

Players
3,281 posts
24,928 battles
Vor 19 Stunden, Rusty_9 sagte:

And yes, this is mainly what I use it for - long range sniping only mid-late game

One thing you need to realize is while increasing the gun range, the spotter plane at the same time increases your visibility after firing by the same amount. So suddenly, you can be seen across the map - while your shooting accuracy of course is not that great at extra long range. Nobody's is, if only because of the increasing dispersion. (Also known as "Murmansk disease.")

So that's not necessarily worth it.

Just pay attention to your concealment bloom on the minimap.

A much better use for the spotter plane is firing at targets behind islands, and especially at targets obscured by smoke screens.

There is this whole Flamu video about smoke firing.

Also the spotter plane is a plane that, erm, can spot.

Like, spot targets to which you maybe have no direct line of sight. Edit. Or targets whose concealment is such that they are not in sight of your ship but possibly in sight of the plane, at least at a portion of its orbit around your ship.

And spot torps, if it is close enough.

Edit: All of this makes the Direction Center skill hilarious with certain ships, and there is even a Spotting Aircraft Mod 1 special upgrade that extends its loiter time by 30%. Although I mainly do the double cat fighter, from cruisers, because that loiter time is like, five minutes or so. Like, there's this promo Tier III premium Katori, a completely ridiculous little slow cruiser with just four guns, but at that Tier, nobody expects you to have catapult planes. Few DDs know what they do. Few ships can shoot them down. I call it "Memetori". I just wish the two planes would circle in the same direction, that would give massive coverage nearly all the time and drive DDs completely insane.

• Cool 2