Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
justolegrand

Iowa, its hull & is it worth it?

25 comments in this topic

Players
7 posts
1,159 battles

Hello everyone,

I have heard alot of stories about people saying the USS Iowa is really bad and other people who were shouting that it was an amazing ship, it just needed more skill to "master" her.
Now since I'm almost able to get the Iowa I wanted to know it I should buy it or if I should just stop at my North Carolina and not go any further.

Also, people are saying that the Iowa has really bad protection, while I read an article that stated that actually, the Iowa had less amount of armor but it was of a way better quality which made it really strong.
So did Wargaming just make it "a bad ship" according to people?

Also, apparently the citadels that used to be very high before have been "fixed" so to say. Does it make it really better or just better?

I'm looking forward to complete answers if possible, not just people screaming it's bad or good without proper arguments.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Nathan

Link to the article: (It's the 3th topic; Armor) https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-think-Iowa-would-have-been-able-to-defeat-Yamato

[COMFY]
Players
793 posts
2,080 battles

I say it is probably because WG did not take steel quality into account, and treats them if all of them are the same type of steel. Therefore it can cause problems as a result.

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,594 posts

Iowa is one of the best BBs in the game, both for its tier and as BBs go overall. It is an amazing ship but it's not without some drawbacks.

• It's quite accurate for a battleship
  • It's very vast
  • Has good AA if you spec into it
  • Decent armor when angled

What you have to watch out for though is that it's a lot bigger than the NC and therefore much less maneouverable. When I first got it I hated it, but it soon became one of my favorite BBs in the game.

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,139 battles

the Iowa is a very solid ship if played right, but not the easiest of BBs.

So, honest word of advice? Go play some other ships first, not just USN Battleships. Learn something about the game before you go to T9. Ask for advice or explanations on the forums and you'll get it. You're already waaaaay out of your depth in your NC and even Colorado. Right now, you're a straight up massive burden to any high tier team you're on. You'll enjoy the game a lot more if you know what you're doing and are actually able to get good results, and so will your teammates.

• Cool 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
15,302 posts
22,267 battles

Good stuff about Iowa:

- decent armor when angled

- one of the fastest BBs

- very stealthy (specializing into concealment is highly recommended)

- most accurate BB at mid/close range with the USN accuracy upgrade

- guns hit like a truck and good gun handling

- decent stock AA

Bad stuff about Iowa:

- maneuverability is bad (not exactly a rarity among high tier BBs tho)

- one of the more vulnerable BBs to HE shells

- AA needs specialization to be a true deterrent to same or higher tier CVs (although that too can be said about almost all high tier AA)

- AA is concentrated in fragile mid and close range mounts which can be easily taken out by HE spam

- very large

- bad armor + somewhat vulnerable citadel when broadside

- huge superstructure vulnerable to AP penetrations

- Yamato sisters easily overmatch your extremities

- bad torp protection

In terms of playstyle Iowa is a mid range ninja so to speak. You sit at anywhere between your min concealment and 14-15km and sling salvos at anything that dares to overextend in your presence. This ensures that you'll vanish between every salvo so that you do not draw unwanted attention. Iowa is not particularly suited to tanking shells due to her drawbacks as described above. That however doesn't mean you can't do it, just keep in mind that you're more fragile than some other BBs.

For further reading I recommend this:

http://shipcomrade.com/?p=739

and this video:

Spoiler

Yes, I know that's about the Missouri, but it's practically the same ship. Just ignore the stuff about radar as you don't have it.

Those are a bit outdated, but I believe the only major change to the Iowa since those were made was the lowering of her citadel (which now sits at the waterline instead of extending halfway up her belt armor), giving her much more leeway when showing broadside. Still not a good idea, but you usually don't run in danger of being oneshot anymore (which depending on how you view it is either a good or a bad thing).

Generally speaking Iowa is an extremely effective ship when played right, but it's not the easiest of tasks to accomplish.

Players
7 posts
1,159 battles
11 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

Iowa is a very solid ship if played right, but not the easiest of BBs.

So, honest word of advice? Go play some other ships first, not just USN Battleships. Learn something about the game before you go to T9. Ask for advice or explanations on the forums and you'll get it. You're already waaaaay out of your depth in your NC and even Colorado. Right now, you're a straight up massive burden to any high tier team you're on. You'll enjoy the game a lot more if you know what you're doing and are actually able to get good results, and so will your teammates.

To be fair, I just ended a high tier game as 4th of my team. So looking at my stats (especially at the ones before my long break) are kinda inaccurate. I don't think I'm really anything like a burden these days. But thanks for the advice anyways...

I also wish to thank everyone for their replies so far and am ofcourse looking forward to replies from other people :)

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,139 battles
3 minutes ago, justolegrand said:

To be fair, I just ended a high tier game as 4th of my team. So looking at my stats (especially at the ones before my long break) are kinda inaccurate. I don't think I'm really a burden these days. But thanks for the advice anyways...

jF8A5uB.jpg

This is your recent stats. Not completely horrible for an NC, but also not nearly average (you "should be" doing around 25% more damage than you are for example). You're definitely improving over time, which is very good to see... it's just that you should give yourself more time fo that improvement to catch up to your progress on the USN BB line. Hence the suggestion to play a few other lines first, especially something other than BBs. That'll give you a fresh perspective - nothing like seeing the game from the other guy's perspective to make you able to predict what he might do next!

• Cool 1

Players
7 posts
1,159 battles

Didn't say I was going to buy it tomorrow either :P
But sure I guess.

It's more a question of time for me. Thanks for the feedback tho :)
(Also I do play things like Carrier & Destroyers, it's just quite rare tho I'm definitely expanding)

Waiting on other people's replies (about iowa fcourse :Smile_Default:)

• Cool 1

Players
514 posts
5,362 battles

It was easily my most hated grind.

It felt like an absolute departure from what should be a line learning process. It cannot be played as any of its predecessors. It's absurdly fragile from any angle, it's the only ship that has a concave bow that creates a flat surface when bow on, it takes absurdly high damage from almost any angle, it's a BBQ magnet, it's shells have so much pen that it mostly overpens anything that is closer than 15Km and has no decent accuracy beyond that range to compensate. Quite frequently I had salvos at 12Km go so wide horizontally that the distance between the leftmost and rightmost shell was larger than a BB. There is basically nothing that I liked about the ship and the absurdly high cost in the tier coupled with how useless it is in the MM it gets easily shows why even though it's the T9 BB with most battles you rarely see it nowadays in a match. On all battles I wished I was in a Colorado.

Beta Tester
939 posts
12,417 battles

If you play good in the NC, you will do better in the Iowa. Better guns, better armor, better speed and better AA.

You can skip the range upgrade and take everything else.

Players
1,280 posts
10,331 battles

The different high-tier BB's are really more about choosing a play style than finding a "good" ship. The balance is pretty good overall.

Honestly what I'd do, in your shoes, is start a couple new BB lines. Going all the way out to T10 is a big grind, and you could easily do a couple lines out to T7 in that time. You could explore national flavours and  then do an informed choice. This would also help you find your feet in mid-tiers. Like others fairly noted above, you have the stats of a person who's really potentially a good player, but is rushing down the tiers quite quick.

I spent over 300 games in the North Carolina, but ultimately that wasn't the line where I went all the way. Dabbled a bit with the Iowa, but ultimately sold it. I really disliked the drastic drop in agility compared to NC -- just my personal preference. I think Iowa isn't a terribly novice-friendly ship. Her standout asset compared to the competition is speed, and how and when to use that to best benefit your team isn't the easiest thing in this game. NC is still my favourite for T8 Ranked, beautifully balanced BB and a definite keeper.

[ALONE]
Players
1,418 posts
11,700 battles
2 hours ago, justolegrand said:

To be fair, I just ended a high tier game as 4th of my team. So looking at my stats (especially at the ones before my long break) are kinda inaccurate. I don't think I'm really anything like a burden these days. But thanks for the advice anyways...

I also wish to thank everyone for their replies so far and am ofcourse looking forward to replies from other people :)

If you look at the mentioned stat page (https://wows-numbers.com/player/504388112,justolegrand/) you can check the "PR" number. This is somewhat arbitrarily calculated "overall performance" with ~1000 meaning average results. It is always better first to master the lower tier in a ship line before jumping into the next boat. And you should do at least "average", so you should stay in a boat until you get PR number at ~1000 in some ~20? games sample. 

So far you only were close to it in Wyoming...

It is not any strict rule or something, so if you don't like some ships there is no reason to force yourself to grind them ;)

But generally you are not ready to play Mex if you do PR=400 in a NY, or you shouldn't try Colorado if you get red numbers in the Mex. 

It is much easier to learn in lower tiers, where the boats are simpler (you have less factors to take into account) and statistically other players are less experienced too.

25 minutes ago, Sturmtiger_304 said:

If you play good in the NC, you will do better in the Iowa. Better guns, better armor, better speed and better AA.

You can skip the range upgrade and take everything else.

Iowa/Missouri play differently, more dynamically than NC. In T10 matchmaking they are something like battlecruisers - fast ships with strong guns but relatively weak armor, good for flanking. 

[H-O-E]
Players
365 posts
27,312 battles

I absolutely loved the grind with Iowa, jumped from a 48,28% win rate in 58 games with NC, to 56,73% in 104 games with Iowa. The captain 19 points i used on her maybe had a word to say though. 

Players
7 posts
1,159 battles

PR situation

Okay so I'm first gone tackle the PR situation. Now I have heard from many, undoubtly experienced, players that my stats aren't really good. Here is a picture of my last game down below. Now I know 1 game doesn't come close to representing the entire line and that I'm not suddenly a good player but I do think it does definitely show that I'm improving or on the way to.

image.thumb.png.613c5cb9252ecfaae3194269387fba42.png

12 hours ago, EdiJo said:

If you look at the mentioned stat page (https://wows-numbers.com/player/504388112,justolegrand/) you can check the "PR" number. This is somewhat arbitrarily calculated "overall performance" with ~1000 meaning average results. It is always better first to master the lower tier in a ship line before jumping into the next boat. And you should do at least "average", so you should stay in a boat until you get PR number at ~1000 in some ~20? games sample. 

So far you only were close to it in Wyoming...

It is not any strict rule or something, so if you don't like some ships there is no reason to force yourself to grind them ;)

But generally you are not ready to play Mex if you do PR=400 in a NY, or you shouldn't try Colorado if you get red numbers in the Mex. 

It is much easier to learn in lower tiers, where the boats are simpler (you have less factors to take into account) and statistically other players are less experienced too.

Iowa/Missouri play differently, more dynamically than NC. In T10 matchmaking they are something like battlecruisers - fast ships with strong guns but relatively weak armor, good for flanking. 

Thanks for the word of advice. I'm working on it (gone start some new lines) :Smile_Default:

12 hours ago, jss78 said:

The different high-tier BB's are really more about choosing a play style than finding a "good" ship. The balance is pretty good overall.

Honestly what I'd do, in your shoes, is start a couple new BB lines. Going all the way out to T10 is a big grind, and you could easily do a couple lines out to T7 in that time. You could explore national flavours and  then do an informed choice. This would also help you find your feet in mid-tiers. Like others fairly noted above, you have the stats of a person who's really potentially a good player, but is rushing down the tiers quite quick.

I spent over 300 games in the North Carolina, but ultimately that wasn't the line where I went all the way. Dabbled a bit with the Iowa, but ultimately sold it. I really disliked the drastic drop in agility compared to NC -- just my personal preference. I think Iowa isn't a terribly novice-friendly ship. Her standout asset compared to the competition is speed, and how and when to use that to best benefit your team isn't the easiest thing in this game. NC is still my favourite for T8 Ranked, beautifully balanced BB and a definite keeper.

Again thanks for the word of advice. I also want to thank you for calling me a "potentially good player" :Smile_teethhappy:

I'm working on starting new lines, be it BB or other vessels.

Also, I do wanne state that I'm not wanting to like "rush the tiers", it just kinda happened. When I started to play Wows ~2-3 years ago I wanted to finish one line after the other. Then use the experience I had gotten to do those other lines. Now with all those breaks I took I didn't really move forward. Tho again, I get that I should kinda "spread" my attention.

USS IOWA

Now for the IOWA, I heard alot of mixed responses and I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all but I would like some more replies so that I know what I can expect the day I buy it.

Tho ofcourse I do get that it also depends on personal playstyle and preferences.

Otherwise a huge thanks to those whom already replied

• Cool 2

[BLITZ]
Players
2,887 posts
12,939 battles
10 hours ago, EdiJo said:

If you look at the mentioned stat page (https://wows-numbers.com/player/504388112,justolegrand/) you can check the "PR" number. This is somewhat arbitrarily calculated "overall performance" with ~1000 meaning average results.

1100 to 1350 is average.

Players
401 posts
7,897 battles

Iowa is bit of an learning curve even after NC, since higher tier you go more it punishes mistakes, map awerenes is where biggest improvements come from. 

When you position is correct the Dmg goes up, also think do you fire bow in BB or the guy behind him showing broadside. Or just stay dark and seek better position and fire when detected. 

[ALONE]
Players
1,418 posts
11,700 battles
2 hours ago, justolegrand said:

Now I have heard from many, undoubtly experienced, players that my stats aren't really good.

As I said, you are not good enough to pass to the next tier, BUT you are way better than typical guys which are here called potato :cap_book:

Sure, most of guys here have many thousands hours spent on this game, but "the stats" are just an objective fact. You can measure those things, and everybody can track his progress by himself... Of course you can read much more from "stats" than just some colorful number, and if you'll get stuck at some point there is a few statwhoring forumites here who will gladly help you in diagnosing what could go wrong with your games :cap_look:

Here is a picture of my last game down below. Now I know 1 game doesn't come close to representing the entire line and that I'm not suddenly a good player but I do think it does definitely show that I'm improving or on the way to.

Sure. There is a huge abyss between typical PR300 potato and someone like you who is working at PR600. Also another huge difference is that you are aware that you need to improve and (extremely rare) ask questions. :cap_win:

Thanks for the word of advice. I'm working on it (gone start some new lines) :Smile_Default:

Nice idea. But please remember about "The Rule" of advancing only after you're not red (preferably: yellow+) after those 20 battles. PLEASE.

If not for us, do it for your country:cap_like:

I'm working on starting new lines, be it BB or other vessels.

Also, I do wanne state that I'm not wanting to like "rush the tiers", it just kinda happened.

Yes. Unfortunately it is what WG is urging players to do. It is hard to resist, especially when you don't know the game yet.

At low-medium tiers WG allows to advance much faster than one learns how to play.

Most of better missions, rewards, campaigns are for T8+. And now WG focuses directly on missions for T10 only :fish_palm:

Just ignore that "pay-grind-pay-pay" stick, and go at your own pace.

When I started to play Wows ~2-3 years ago I wanted to finish one line after the other. Then use the experience I had gotten to do those other lines. Now with all those breaks I took I didn't really move forward. Tho again, I get that I should kinda "spread" my attention.

If you play other lines (even to some extent only) - you learn how to counter them in your "main" ships. "Know your enemy" thing. :fish_book:

2 hours ago, SeeteufeI said:

1100 to 1350 is average.

Well, I don't know. If I see a 1100+ player, I feel he's really decent compared to the ~300 (Spartaaa!) "potato field" around. I see good play (carrying sometimes) from players at 800-900. Maybe this is because the number is averaged and includes early hard beginnings?  Also I am not sure how this average in PR scale is determined anyway, surely the skill distribution depends on ship (class, tier), which server it is, typical time of day when playing etc. 

Players
7 posts
1,159 battles
40 minutes ago, EdiJo said:

As I said, you are not good enough to pass to the next tier, BUT you are way better than typical guys which are here called potato :cap_book:

Sure. There is a huge abyss between typical PR300 potato and someone like you who is working at PR600. Also another huge difference is that you are aware that you need to improve and (extremely rare) ask questions. :cap_win:

How many people are even considered potatoes? :Smile_teethhappy:

[XTREM]
Players
1,037 posts
9,235 battles
17 hours ago, justolegrand said:

I don't think I'm really anything like a burden these days. But thanks for the advice anyways...

You are rushing up the tiers to unlock a tier 10 asap, which is not advisable. Play at least one DD and CA/CL line up to tier 7 or 8 before advancing any further. This will not only increase your skill level in general but also teach you the strengths and weaknesses of the other classes, helping your BB skill improve immensely. You can unlock the Iowa - great ship by the way - but you will do worse or just as bad as in your other BB. There's no shame in that, you have to learn, I started with the IJN DD and BB lines and stats looked bad up to tier 6 where I started watching youtube and twitch streams to get better. You will have to get a feel for what works in low tiers for a while. Going into high tiers simply won't be fun now.

Higher tiers do not automatically equal a better gaming experience.

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,139 battles
1 hour ago, justolegrand said:

How many people are even considered potatoes? :Smile_teethhappy:

depends on who you ask, but... generally anyone in my games that isnt doing what I want them do be doing right now? :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Players
7 posts
1,159 battles
16 minutes ago, walter3kurtz said:

You are rushing up the tiers to unlock a tier 10 asap, which is not advisable. Play at least one DD and CA/CL line up to tier 7 or 8 before advancing any further. This will not only increase your skill level in general but also teach you the strengths and weaknesses of the other classes, helping your BB skill improve immensely. You can unlock the Iowa - great ship by the way - but you will do worse or just as bad as in your other BB. There's no shame in that, you have to learn, I started with the IJN DD and BB lines and stats looked bad up to tier 6 where I started watching youtube and twitch streams to get better. You will have to get a feel for what works in low tiers for a while. Going into high tiers simply won't be fun now.

Higher tiers do not automatically equal a better gaming experience.

Like I said before; I'm not rushing on purpose and definitely not to unlock tier 10 asap... And I'm working on both DD's & CV's, tho not sure if I'll do CA anytime soon...

Tho thanks for the advice anyway :Smile_Default:

Hull error?

Also another thing I would like to address, in my original post I mentioned that apparently the Iowa's hull is not that good ingame according to people? Tho that post said it's actually really good in real life? Did wargaming just ignore steel quality and therefore maybe make an error or was it all done 100% for the "game balance".

[XTREM]
Players
1,037 posts
9,235 battles
20 minutes ago, justolegrand said:

Iowa's hull is not that good ingame

There's nothing wrong with the armor, if that's what you mean. It can bounce anything when properly angled.

Iowa players tend to bow in because of that. It's a bad tactic however. Sitting bow in takes away 33% of your firepower and also means you give away one of your biggest strengths, the great speed. Use that to get into concealment when things get rough. Don't sit still and get farmed for damage slowly but surely getting burned down. Stay mobile, read the flow of the battle and angle away from a group of ships that is rushing you and angle into a group of ships that is fleeing from you and the armor will prevent penetrating AP hits. HE spam is another matter of course, that doesn't care about angles (and mostly not about armor as long as the 1/6 or 1/4 rule of caliber is met).

Players
7 posts
1,159 battles
18 hours ago, walter3kurtz said:

There's nothing wrong with the armor, if that's what you mean. It can bounce anything when properly angled.

Iowa players tend to bow in because of that. It's a bad tactic however. Sitting bow in takes away 33% of your firepower and also means you give away one of your biggest strengths, the great speed. Use that to get into concealment when things get rough. Don't sit still and get farmed for damage slowly but surely getting burned down. Stay mobile, read the flow of the battle and angle away from a group of ships that is rushing you and angle into a group of ships that is fleeing from you and the armor will prevent penetrating AP hits. HE spam is another matter of course, that doesn't care about angles (and mostly not about armor as long as the 1/6 or 1/4 rule of caliber is met).

Well, some people it's really much worse when broadsides than any other ships
Tho I ain't an expert ofcourse

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
1,037 posts
9,235 battles
8 minutes ago, justolegrand said:

Well, some people it's really much worse when broadsides than any other ships

These people are wrong. Iowa has a low citadel. Yes you will take pens if you show full broadside but so will any other ship so it doesn't matter. If you're getting shot with big caliber AP broadside it's your own damn fault. You seriously messed up your maneuver or planning if you get caught like that. Use your speed and if you have to turn do it in between salvo's of the enemy.

Really,  if you're looking for a ship that can survive broadside punishment you can keep looking forever.

Players
8,241 posts
12,342 battles

Anyone who's adapted to the NC should be good in the Iowa and since you would have to come that way up the tech tree then I think quite a few of us should be ok...

Don't judge any ship until you've got all the upgrades. 

As others have said Iowa is a little on the large side but with the accuracy module I find the guns are some of the most reliable BB guns in game. Monty has even more firepower... :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this