Flandre Bug Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Andybeca

loyang in tier x battles

18 comments in this topic

[SC-]
Players
2 posts
9,447 battles

Dear Captains,

my Loyang is nearly always put into tier x (mainly) fights. 90% of the time, if not more.

I am having big issues scoring decently. When capping, there is too much radar. The tier x dds have much more firepower and a single torp wipes me out, should i be stupid enough to take one.

Any advice on how to do better in these match ups?

cheers

• Boring 1

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles
7 minutes ago, Andybeca said:

Dear Captains,

my Loyang is nearly always put into tier x (mainly) fights. 90% of the time, if not more.

I am having big issues scoring decently. When capping, there is too much radar. The tier x dds have much more firepower and a single torp wipes me out, should i be stupid enough to take one.

cheers

Stay closer to support, don't overextend, use your hydro to your advantage. Learn which ships have radar and what dds to look out for in the enemy team. Don't use your guns in the open if you're close to the enemy fleet and you can be undetected. Cap and spot foremost, kill enemy dds secondly, torp larger ships as last priority. Only use your guns at larger ships when you're comfortable doing the first three without dying. Keep your smoke for getting out of trouble, don't smoke up before you need it unless you can farm some dd damage. Know when to run away and just get unspotted - don't keep shooting!

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
7,475 posts

Loyang is not the god tier dd it once was (while it was the only dd with hydro) but it is still strong just need to be carefoul and pick your fights smartly, but the same goes for any dd in t9-10 mm with radar cruisers and ap “Full pen” bbs around (aldough a few overpens hurt just as much tbh) flamu has some good vids on it

[SM0KE]
Players
6,576 posts
15,046 battles

A potato's perspective: Loyang uptiered feels similar to me to most T8 DDs in the same situation; at least she's a pretty decent all-rounder, with good dakka, tolerable torps (I run the YOLO ones), and the smoke-hydro trick is still worthwhile.

As alluded to above, the key problem is radar, and that's the same for almost all T8 DDs, so presumably the usual anti-radar advice still applies (says he, who is still struggling to apply it consistently)...?

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
9,037 battles
23 minutes ago, Andybeca said:

Dear Captains,

cheers

Off the top of my head, not skipping the whole DD line would have given you the skill you are sorely lacking.

Does not seem to be tied to the loyang tho, your stats with the leningrad are also abysmal.

As pointed, check videos, and try leveling up the tiers, its clear the 1500 matches between loyang and leningrad taught you nothing.

To add: playing the other classes will also teach you how to counter them, just a heads up.

• Cool 2

[ZEN]
Players
1,384 posts
14,485 battles

I think you better off in the Loyang than any other tier 8 DD in the game, at least your Hydro is like 5.4km, while the Z-23 which has Hydro as a line trait only has 4.4km, so if you both smoke in a cap with Hydro you will always out spot it so you can pick your fights easily.

Just take note of what radar ships there are and what DDs they have, when you know their rough locations then you can decide if you want to contest the cap, and I will say if the torps are the same as the ones on the Benson, then they are some of the most usable of the tier as they are not spotted from the moon like IJN ones.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,576 posts
15,046 battles
10 minutes ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

if the torps are the same as the ones on the Benson

I believe they're the stock ones, so somewhat anaemic damage (that's why I run the YOLOs, even though you have to get suicidally close to use them)...

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,576 posts
15,046 battles

@Andybeca: whilst I might have put it slightly more subtly, @Juanx does rather have a point: to get the most out of Loyang it would help to have played (at least) the silver US DD line up to Benson (Loyang *was* Benson IRL after all) - that will give you experience of how the American DDs play, and do so initially against less scary opponents.

The lower tiers teach you gunnery, with the characteristic US 'rainbow' gun arcs; torps start getting sensible around T5-6 (T4 torps are glorious but very short-ranged), with the first stealth fire window at T7.

Crucially, this approach will introduce you gently to radar (the first turn up on T7 premiums - three of them, from memory), so you aren't diving right into a very hostile radar environment, which is exactly what happens with Loyang (Leningrad too come to that).

If you (for whatever reason) are allergic to silver ships; taking the premium route of Monaghan and Sims *might* do the trick (although the silver route is *much* better), at T6 and T7, respectively; they also introduce the basics of US DD gameplay against less lethal opponents (although only slightly, in Sims' case). Beware though: to get the Benson torps on Monaghan, you have to lose two gun turrets (this is what I run, but you are mostly worthless in a gunfight as a result). It's still better to play up the American silver line though...

• Cool 1

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

If you're fighting in a lot of T10 battles you are pretty much a non shooting spotter and only engage stuff when the odds are massively in your favour (either they are ultra low HP or you have allies who will shoot them for you).

There's an argument for taking the close range yolo torps if you're bottom tier a lot as the 9.2 km ones will be laughed off by T10 ships. Personally I'd still take the 9.2km ones and hope for flooding DoT...

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
3,372 posts
17,633 battles

Sorry @Andybeca, in this case the problem is not high tiers or radar. The problems are WG and you:

- WG for allowing people with next to no experience to buying high tier premiums,

- You for actually buying them.

This leads to a situation where you don't know game mechanics and you don't know the strengths and weaknesses of the ships you sail and the ships you encounter.

My advice to you: start at tier I and grind the US DD line till you reach and full research Benson, then try again with the Lo Yang.

As an FYI: Lo Yang's hydro is only beaten by the Z-52. So you can cap contest against the tier IX Z-46 and still out-hydro him.

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts
18 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

Sorry @Andybeca, in this case the problem is not high tiers or radar. The problems are WG and you:

- WG for allowing people with next to no experience to buying high tier premiums,

- You for actually buying them.

This leads to a situation where you don't know game mechanics and you don't know the strengths and weaknesses of the ships you sail and the ships you encounter.

My advice to you: start at tier I and grind the US DD line till you reach and full research Benson, then try again with the Lo Yang.

As an FYI: Lo Yang's hydro is only beaten by the Z-52. So you can cap contest against the tier IX Z-46 and still out-hydro him.

Although it's not likely he can outgun him and if he's as inexperienced as it seems a decent Z-46 driver will kick his head in.

The advice others have given is sound you need to learn how to play DD by going up the tiers at a steady pace and get a feel for real DD tactics, farming damage in higher tier DD's is tricky at best and utter suicide sometimes, go guns loud in the open and it's likely that a good number of ships will shoot at you then you're dead. LoYang is an OK ship, but nothing special other than the smoke/hydro combo and that takes some skill to use effectively.

Just because people say the ship is strong it doesn't mean it's strong in the hands of an amateur DD driver, it will get slapped silly very easily.

@Andybeca out of interest how many Captain points have you got and how are they spent? Do you try to actively gunboat or spot, torp and cap? Capping needs to be done with great care, sailing into a cap, smoking up and sitting there just invites torpedoes and radar with incoming shellstorm. Smoke on LoYang is very useful for protecting friendly radar cruisers and helping them get into cap support position as it's USA smoke so the best there is, but it IS a torpedo magnet. 

• Cool 1

[CRU_]
Players
381 posts
9,802 battles

First thing is, the tier is pretty irrelevant, what should have an impact on your plan, is the ship list, in other words don't let the tier dictate your play, let the actual lineup  form your play. Doesn't matter what tier DD you are playing, early game your eyes should be glued to the minimap, If i had to guess i probably sail via the minmap 60-70% of the game, with my focus switching only when engaging my guns or torps, and even at that i constantly glance at the map to update my situational awareness. You want to see which ships have been spotted where, that will give you an indication as to what ships you might have in front of you. there is no such thing as a formula, your plan should evolve with the information the minimap gives you. The most important thing early on is to be defensive, that doesn't mean playing at the map border it means always knowing how you are going to get out of the crap if you run into the crap.

Playing defensive early game wins most games. Why? because you can almost guarantee that the boat infront of you will over extend and get itself deleted chasing you, such is WOWs, it isn't that complicated. Bait and run, bait and run, then as the game opens up, (the Yolo's get deleted) you can start to be aggressive.

• Cool 3

[XTREM]
Players
1,037 posts
9,218 battles

LoYang struggles to do damage against tier 10, because of short ranged main battery and very short range torps (assuming you're not taking the almost useless 9.2km ones).

What this means is that in tier 10 you're limited to ambush attacks on DD's (using the smoke + hydro combo) or using the fast, strong but short ranged torps in island ambushes. Some maps just don't give you a lot of options, which is more of a problem than the fact that you are facing tier 10. The problem is not in the ships but in the layout of the maps limiting your options to use your short range tools.

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
13 hours ago, Andybeca said:

Dear Captains,

cheers

well you have 0 advantage in those kind of games....play way more passive.....cap when you are sure no tx radar cruisers are round or t10 dds......play more as opportunity capper, scouter and torpedo boat....stay alive as long as possible, as game progress and more peoples dies your game room is getting bigger

Beta Tester
2,127 posts
12,630 battles
14 hours ago, Andybeca said:

Dear Captains,

cheers

T8s will always struggle in T10 MM, that said I think LoYang is one of the better ships to get T10 with. Radars are the same problem for all tiers DDs. Its not easier for Youyang, Gearing and all the others trying to cap in this radar Meta. So first of you need to change the playstyle depending on how many radars there is. Choose to push caps when the timing is right (always looka at minimap where radarships and DDs last was spotted) and when you do push you will have a great advantage with your smoke+hydro combo. only Z-52 will be a problem there. 

• Cool 1

Players
2,780 posts
17,292 battles

OP is averaging 9200 damage in Belfast after 200 games... yikes!

I'd recommend playing a tier 4 destroyer. Clemson, Shenyang and Izyaslav are significantly more powerful per tier than LoYang.

You'll have a lot more fun and hopefully be more successful. Use the captains you have from your premiums, good luck!

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,800 posts
6,924 battles

If I may add a slightly different piece of advice - your gaming time with WoWs seem to be based around an occasional 'splurge' of games then a few weeks/months off, then back to a splurge. Which is probably why you h\ave invested so much time into your premium ships and not the silver lines. 

I have no idea what your life is like, but would suggest that you switch your emphasis when you can put some time into the game to concentrate on a particular line. Myself, I researched all the lines up to T6 before going higher (I had Tirpitz and Atlanta from their launch but didn't play Tirpitz much as it was too high a tier for me at that time, Atlanta I did play and it still shows in my performance in her). Leningrad is a great DD for some zippy fun, but like you, I still suffer in her somewhat.

There are some fun ships in the lower tiers as well as some 'baddies', but both will teach you how the game works if you let them.

[BOBS3]
Beta Tester
515 posts
18,694 battles

Loyang is the most capable t8 DD for being uptiered, I don't mind at all getting in a t10 game, great concealment, long lasting mid range hydro, reasonable guns that with ifhe do reasonable damage to cruisers and BB superstructure.
You have to pick your fights but then you always have had to in dd's. 9.2k torps, yup they work too.

Sign in to follow this