Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hedgehog1963

Deepest Ever Water Torpedo

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,824 battles

Completely unrealistic! -> IJN torps going through solid rock like that. ->  Only russian Navy as stronkerust Navy has transphasic torpedoes!

 

 

Colored WW2 footage of russian DD Blyatskya fighting Bismarck, Gneisenau and Scharnhorst in the Battle of Mount Erebus est. Feb. 31st 1942.

 

 

 

Sadly this is old news. This shítty broken game had issues like that for years and have experienced similar. I remember in a funtage (but not exactly which one/time index) from Yuro a single torpedo going undisturbed past its range and right trough/under his battleship. He was sitting broadside in a Mutsu or likewise at the south entrance to C cap on Fault Line - if anybody knows which vid and wants to link it.

 

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,139 battles

recently, I'm also getting crazy amounts of "Ghost shells" when firing close to an island - as in, they (in theory) hit the island, but continue unmolested on their merry way towards the target (and go right through said target of course, just like these Ghost torps will).

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,438 posts
17,697 battles

I can only imagine what would have been said if that torp actually hit the DD.

 

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
4 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

recently, I'm also getting crazy amounts of "Ghost shells" when firing close to an island - as in, they (in theory) hit the island, but continue unmolested on their merry way towards the target (and go right through said target of course, just like these Ghost torps will).

Yeah, have that happen to me lots aswell when I'm really hugging that island like some sexually depraved molester his waifu after two months of forced abstinence.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
4 hours ago, havaduck said:

Sadly this is old news. This shítty broken game had issues like that for years and have experienced similar. I remember in a funtage (but not exactly which one/time index) from Yuro a single torpedo going undisturbed past its range and right trough/under his battleship. He was sitting broadside in a Mutsu or likewise at the south entrance to C cap on Fault Line - if anybody knows which vid and wants to link it.

Torps going past their range are a different thing, they are basically torps that the client for whatever reason (probably some problems with synchronization with servers) forgot to erase properly. They don't really exist and can't hit anything, they're just... shown.

There are, however, some bugs where a torp can phase through what should be solid land in certain places (just like there is water around some islands' edges where a torp detonates on seemingly nothing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,267 posts
19,706 battles

Holy [edited]that one is a first. I've seen ghost shells and ghost torpedoes both continuing where they should have stopped. 

Never seen a torp passing through an island!

 

On a side note : another hilarious mechanic is torps lauched on another ship that is too close (inside the arming threshol).

But if he is bow in, they merrily continue through his hull untill arming distance is reached --> KAPOWW.

 

I've sunk quite a few bow-in BBs who thought they were going to ram my DD that way.

 

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
1 minute ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Holy [edited]that one is a first. I've seen ghost shells and ghost torpedoes both continuing where they should have stopped. 

Never seen a torp passing through an island!

 

On a side note : another hilarious mechanic is torps lauched on another ship that is too close (inside the arming threshol).

But if he is bow in, they merrily continue through his hull untill arming distance is reached --> KAPOWW.

 

I've sunk quite a few bow-in BBs who thought they were going to ram my DD that way.

 

A torp just lands on the enemy deck and rolls across it until it hits something and detonates!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,387 posts
22,275 battles

Was that a WW1 torpedo? I remember reading about the weird behaviour torpedoes had at that time, like one Entente submarine launching against a surfaced, stationary broadsiding U-boot, and when it was so close the Germans thought it was impossible for it to miss... it jumped out, passed above the ship between the gun and the sail and went back into the water at the other side.

 

Salute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
349 posts
15,839 battles
7 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

recently, I'm also getting crazy amounts of "Ghost shells" when firing close to an island - as in, they (in theory) hit the island, but continue unmolested on their merry way towards the target (and go right through said target of course, just like these Ghost torps will).

Have you also noticed any of your shells acting very odd? Such as going through ships just to hit the water beneath it? To be honest it is probably me playing too far away from the screen and failing to pay attention, but at one point I was assured I saw it :Smile_teethhappy:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,259 posts

Ive had that a year ago and nobody believed me (no replay).

 

But funny thing is that just recently ive heard @MrConway or @Tuccy joked about a bug having torps goin tru islands in the past. Guess the bug is still here :)

 

2 hours ago, OttoZander said:

Have you also noticed any of your shells acting very odd? Such as going through ships just to hit the water beneath it? To be honest it is probably me playing too far away from the screen and failing to pay attention, but at one point I was assured I saw it :Smile_teethhappy:

 

Ive had that too. Full salvo from Montana at 8km broad Kurfurst. All shells on target ... yet they just disappeared in his hull (0 hits). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
9 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Ive had that a year ago and nobody believed me (no replay).

 

But funny thing is that just recently ive heard @MrConway or @Tuccy joked about a bug having torps goin tru islands in the past. Guess the bug is still here :)

Are you sure it was them joking rather than part of the explanation for what Supertesters do? It included checking how solid the islands are and/or existence of invisible rocks.

And it's not the matter of believing, there are two options:

1. Server-client desync (torps and ships shown not where they are, most often seen when a non-DW torp seems to pass under ship's stern/bow or - worse - detonate despite seemingly being perfectly dodged).

2. Island model not being solid where it should (an actual torp rather than just a phantom can slip through the land in this case).

The first one is much, much, MUCH more common, for obvious reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,393 posts
4,310 battles
3 hours ago, nambr9 said:

Ive had that a year ago and nobody believed me (no replay).

 

But funny thing is that just recently ive heard @MrConway or @Tuccy joked about a bug having torps goin tru islands in the past. Guess the bug is still here :)

 

 

Ive had that too. Full salvo from Montana at 8km broad Kurfurst. All shells on target ... yet they just disappeared in his hull (0 hits). 

 

I'll bump it up to devs - luckily Hans wasn't hit :P

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PN4VY]
Players
361 posts
7,398 battles

Probably an underwater tunel aimed to be used by the upcoming submarines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,827 posts
12,846 battles
44 minutes ago, Ouzo11 said:

Probably an underwater tunel aimed to be used by the upcoming submarines

Or Russian BBs :P

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,338 posts
13,081 battles
14 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

recently, I'm also getting crazy amounts of "Ghost shells" when firing close to an island - as in, they (in theory) hit the island, but continue unmolested on their merry way towards the target (and go right through said target of course, just like these Ghost torps will).

I get these ghost shells a lot!

They do seem to hit the island, including its explosion, but the shells seem to travel and act normally, but never hit anything nor splash water when hitting water.

 

When it happens, it seems to happen always when hugging an island, particularly with cruisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×