Armory Maintenance - 30.11.2021 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
anonym_EFwxJOPWzlER

Accelerated Torpedo Tube Reloading

25 comments in this topic

Players
1,473 posts

So i recently unlocked the "Accelerated Torpedo Tube Reloading upgrade" on the Shimakaze

I just don't see how this is an upgrade as such, the torpedo tubes reload approx 18 to 20 seconds faster reducing the reload to to 1:40 sec (that is great), but the torpedo tubes traverse speed is reduced by 80%, this makes the traverse extremely slow

Myself: i would rather wait about 20 seconds longer for the torps to load than have a very slow traverse speed.

What are your thoughts on this ?

Upgrade WoW.gif

• Cool 1

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,409 posts
7,443 battles

It seems fine if you are planning to sit torping from 10km+ and are therefore using the 12/20 torps. If you plan on using the 8km F3's, or plan on getting close anyway then I'd rather have the traverse

[SM0KE]
Players
7,915 posts
16,769 battles

Whilst I'm not exactly hyper-experienced with my Shima, this upgrade strikes me as utterly worthless (at least, in its current form). The moment any opponent gets even remotely closer than 'barely visible', your torps become almost useless.

Given that the general consensus on a lot of these upgrades is that they're pretty poor (with a few exceptions), I suspect we may see some tweaks over the next several months. At least I hope so - at the moment, very few of them seem of interest...

• Cool 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
15,285 posts
22,207 battles

*laughs in Fletcher/Gearing*

Seriously, why anyone would want to play Shima nowadays is beyond me. Unless they change her torps to something actually useful Shima will remain in the shadow of other DDs.

• Cool 3

Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
4 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Seriously, why anyone would want to play Shima nowadays is beyond me.

we all hope for DW torps on shima :)

• Cool 3

Players
1,473 posts
7 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Seriously, why anyone would want to play Shima nowadays is beyond me. Unless they change her torps to something actually useful Shima will remain in the shadow of other DDs.

A lot of truth in what you say, i have always liked the Shima with 9.6km torps, so the upgrade is very much useless

But yeah, Shima is certainly in the shadow of other DD's

• Cool 1

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,409 posts
7,443 battles

It comes down to her 3 options;

20km is useless noob bait. It is unique. It's not however useful.

12km is mediocre. There's nothing special about it apart from the number of torps, particularly now Zao can drop 20 of them. They don't offer significantly more range, or speed than other torps, making the gearing/Fletcher better.

8km is actually quite fun. They are hard(er) to dodge, reload reasonably quickly and a cloud of 15 at close range will sweep a smoke screen pretty effectively. Problem is you have exactly no backup plan, have to operate deep in radar territory, and if you want to avoid the problem of them.turning out you need to be launching at around 6-6.5km. This put you right on the edge of high tier hydro, and one random launched plane will make you get caught like a burglar with the lights turned on.

I personally enjoy using the 8km F3's, but they are not a "sensible" choice.

• Cool 3

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,742 posts
28,945 battles
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

Given that the general consensus on a lot of these upgrades is that they're pretty poor (with a few exceptions), I suspect we may see some tweaks over the next several months. At least I hope so - at the moment, very few of them seem of interest...

Most of them are crap, because, of course, devs dont play their game. In the rare case they do, they are probably some 45-46% WR tomatoes.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,875 posts
7,295 battles

The only time the reload mod would make sence is:

1- Ocean map

2- Division of 3 Shimas

3- 20km torps

:Smile_smile:

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,742 posts
28,945 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Because of the droolling that happens when they see 15 torps :Smile_playing: and 20 km range :Smile_playing:.

[JRM]
Players
8,921 posts

8km F3s are really only for Cold blooded customers, but what would be really nice is choice of 12km standard and asashio deepwater ones (bb/cv) 12km range us enough just with a small detection

Players
1,168 posts
5,842 battles

I do not consider any dd upgrade worth it. Gearing can be debated, but making yourself lose gun duels by default isn't really worth the concealment imo. Shima pays way to dearly for a small buff in reload. 

1 hour ago, veslingr said:

we all hope for DW torps on shima :)

No. We absolutely don't. It would take her best option of killing dds away. Just buff the torp concealment a bit and turn the 12s into 14s and she is golden.

• Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
6,355 posts
14,731 battles
2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Shima is much better then Gearing.
You do not have any ambition to contest caps so you live longer than other DD.
No one wants smoke from you.
You can write to the chat that you have 20km torps so one expects you to be threat and you can torp without worry from +-10km (using 12km torp).
Even CV sometime ignores you.
You have enough speed to run to map corner and live longer to see your last torpedo volley hit something.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 6

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles
2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Because some of us prefer a challenge :cat_bubble:

• Cool 1

Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
15 hours ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

I do not consider any dd upgrade worth it. Gearing can be debated, but making yourself lose gun duels by default isn't really worth the concealment imo. Shima pays way to dearly for a small buff in reload. 

No. We absolutely don't. It would take her best option of killing dds away. Just buff the torp concealment a bit and turn the 12s into 14s and she is golden.

any dd that gets killed by torps need to go to t 3-4 to learn some skils

sadly they (probably) will not buff stealth and i know DW will not happen.....IJN got powercreaped hard.

Players
579 posts
5,038 battles
15 hours ago, Sigimundus said:

Even CV sometime ignores you.

Nononono i will not ignore lovley japanese torp nutshell giving that nice dev strikes.

Lovley lil shimas - keep them coming ... there will allways be an empty dive bomber for you to keep you in spotlight all day till i have time to send you my torpedo friends to make lovley holes in you :cap_rambo:

• Funny 2

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,549 posts
14,892 battles
18 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Why are you so mean to shima!

She has feelings too you know?

giphy.gif.50fc19f043eb057aab06f8b13ccab7e5.gif

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
1 hour ago, veslingr said:

any dd that gets killed by torps need to go to t 3-4 to learn some skils

I've died to torps many times. Sometimes it's a big tactical mistake (yesterday exactly this happened to me) but sometimes all you need is bad luck - you start turning and at the worst possible moment - there comes a wall of skill, often fired either blind or at some other ship in the back.

Despite these incidents, I'm pretty sure that my 60%+ solo winrate in Shima means that my skills aren't completely out of place in high tier after all.

Moreover, having DD-hitting torps and NOT having them makes a big difference even if you never ever hit any DD with them. If you have such a threatening weapon, it changes the behavior of enemy gunboats that would love a piece of your Japanese stern. If nothing else - few gun-focused DDs (apart from those Hydro-equipped) are insane brave enough to try and rush Shima that tries to smoke up - it might work if you get a lucky angle but it's still a deathwish. That's the power of having torps. A DD with DW torps, on the other hand, has no such deterrence. The enemy gunboat can safely sail broadside to you. Your smokes are vulnerable to rushing. Chasing you is much safer and more comfortable. Even if DDs dying to torps are an exception rather than a rule, it really does make a significant tactical difference whether you have the DD-torping capability or not.

• Cool 2

Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
28 minutes ago, eliastion said:

I've died to torps many times. Sometimes it's a big tactical mistake (yesterday exactly this happened to me) but sometimes all you need is bad luck - you start turning and at the worst possible moment - there comes a wall of skill, often fired either blind or at some other ship in the back.

Despite these incidents, I'm pretty sure that my 60%+ solo winrate in Shima means that my skills aren't completely out of place in high tier after all.

Moreover, having DD-hitting torps and NOT having them makes a big difference even if you never ever hit any DD with them. If you have such a threatening weapon, it changes the behavior of enemy gunboats that would love a piece of your Japanese stern. If nothing else - few gun-focused DDs (apart from those Hydro-equipped) are insane brave enough to try and rush Shima that tries to smoke up - it might work if you get a lucky angle but it's still a deathwish. That's the power of having torps. A DD with DW torps, on the other hand, has no such deterrence. The enemy gunboat can safely sail broadside to you. Your smokes are vulnerable to rushing. Chasing you is much safer and more comfortable. Even if DDs dying to torps are an exception rather than a rule, it really does make a significant tactical difference whether you have the DD-torping capability or not.

dont get me wrong, i play many time like i need go back to t 3...but every time dd die from torp he did big mistake.

never sit broadside in smoke or in cap, look if there are BBs behind that could get torped and dont sail pararel with them (good chance to chatch toprs aimed at them)......but every single time it is dds captain fault and basicly brainfreez moment or ltp issue.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
1 minute ago, veslingr said:

dont get me wrong, i play many time like i need go back to t 3...but every time dd die from torp he did big mistake.

And I tell you, this is just not true.

• Cool 1

[NMA]
[NMA]
Players
52 posts
11,159 battles

Indeed. Sometimes you sit broadside in smoke, die from torps, and you have no one to blame but yourself. Other times you sit properly in smoke, and just happened that two enemy DDs from different angles decided to torp your smoke, and there really is nowhere to run to. But also it just happens if you just start a turn that torps arrive from the worst possible angle and you cannot evade them. Even if you didn't just start a turn, some torps simply have so low detection that by the time you see them you can steer into them, and at that point it is just dumb luck if you will be hit or not. And finally try dodging the 10 torps I fire from 1-2km distance in DD fights. 

Regardless if you will be hit by the torps or not, knowing that you cannot be hit by Pan Asia torps is a huge advantage in DD fights. 

[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
2,017 posts
13,202 battles
2 hours ago, eliastion said:

This is, by far, my most hated way to die in this game. WTF - what are those torps doing ther....BOOM! Hates it, we does, hates it.

• Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
6,355 posts
14,731 battles
3 hours ago, Wings_of_RNGesus said:

Nononono i will not ignore lovley japanese torp nutshell giving that nice dev strikes.

Lovley lil shimas - keep them coming ... there will allways be an empty dive bomber for you to keep you in spotlight all day till i have time to send you my torpedo friends to make lovley holes in you :cap_rambo:

In this case my Schima-chan will follow/hug Minotaur senpai or DM sempai :P

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
25 minutes ago, Sigimundus said:

In this case my Schima-chan will follow/hug Minotaur senpai or DM sempai :P

You could also stick to one of the IJN AA DDs (Akizuki, Kitakaze, Harugumo).

I mean, every CV will then switch attention to them as first choice target, because they're so much easier to strike down than a Shima :Smile_trollface: I'm sure that's what the "AA destroyer" means in Japan - the idea is to work as an active bait and take the strikes that would normally target someone else :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this