You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lord0

Rightful Heir to the Cleveland in Operations?

24 comments in this topic

[ANV]
[ANV]
Players
221 posts
3,004 battles

Hi guys,

Been playing Killer Whale as it's back in rotation using Graf Spee and Dunkerque. Although I've been getting good results it's not really been fun. I miss the old Cleveland :-(

So, which if any of the current Tier 6 ships come close to approximating playing Operations with the Cleveland?

The characteristics I'm looking for are:

1) "dakka dakka" i.e. good rate of fire

2) A certain amount of "tankiness" i.e. can take a hit without melting

3) Decent AA would be nice but not vital 

I realise the Cleve was a beast but something must come close. NB: I would consider a premium

Cheers!

Players
1,372 posts
5,380 battles

In my opinion (so subjective), nothing at T6 comes close to the old Cleveland for all those three.

A few ships have 2 out 3 but nothing really has all 3 but from the Tech Tree I'd say the Buddy is possibly one of the better ones but my pick would have to be the premium De Grasse, even though it's "tankiness" isn't the greatest.

[NWP]
Players
4,385 posts
6,242 battles
Just now, ForlornSailor said:

I also use Leander (smoke replaces the tankiness)

Lets not forget about the heal :cap_cool:

Also single launched torps are nice on the kaiser sitting in the harbour. Strong equivalent to HE spamming it.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
4,115 posts
7,848 battles

Leander (or possibly Perth if you want to be cheeky), Budyonny and LaGal/DeGrasse are all solid picks I'd say... none are quite like the Cleveland, but they all have their own strengths to compensate.

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,397 posts
5,436 battles

Pensacola may not offer a similar playstyle, but it is a good operation ship. AA that melts planes, AP that penetrate everything or straight up overmatches, 10 guns, good HE, excellent gun angles and really nimble.

Tankiness is going to be an issue but I found that you can just straight up delete most DPM machines that try to have a go at you.

• Cool 2

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,053 posts
5,835 battles

The Molotov has very nice guns and it's fun to play.  It'snot tanky though.

I just love those guns.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,909 posts
6,248 battles

Silver ships:

-Buddy

-Leander

Premiums:

-Perth

-La Gasssssss *(ment De Grasssss)*

Those are my picks :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Major_Damage225
  • Cool 1

Modder
4,002 posts
7,215 battles

For Killer Whale I enjoy:

1. Molotov
  2. Leander
  3. Pensacola

The guns on the Molotov are no joke. You can tear down the forts in one or two salvos. Enemy cruisers are no problem. And with IFHE on top you burn down enemy battleships. The anti-air-suit is a lackluster, and you should rely on teammates.

• Cool 1

Players
39 posts
2,586 battles

I always go back to Leander. She's a beaut. :Smile_Default:

Also enjoy Perth, but it's much harder to make work.

• Cool 1

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,074 posts
17,364 battles

Free: Budyonny (+ La Galisson)

Premium : De Grasse (+ Duca)

All very fast, good RoF, usable torps (except Buddy) against BBs.

The speed boost of the 2 Frenchies was useful many times to save a star or a game: going after a carrier or capping in the last minute.

If u want a BB, Normandie, not Dunkerque.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,911 posts
7,793 battles

None.

They all lack AA. Not sure about Dallas since I never played her.

Funny thing is that I sold all my T6 ships because they kinda suck. The only one I kept is a premium ship called Arizona (the only ship I ever got in SC in 3.5 years of playing ... and I hate battleships - thanks WG).

But in my eyes shes not a ship but I rather call her a floating brick with dispersion that even hits friendlies sailing behind you.

So .... farming days in T6 ops are long gone for me.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,397 posts
5,436 battles
16 minutes ago, Alex_Connor said:

No one even mentions Dallas...

Really that much more fragile?

I don't think so, not when compared to the other tier 6 CL's (again I never played it so I could be wrong). I think the main reason why people don't care about the Dallas is because most people had the Cleveland and did not bother to regrind tier 6-7. Also the Helena somewhat overshadows the Dallas in terms of player oppinion so getting any sort of meaningful info out of the Dallas is tricky.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,397 posts
5,436 battles
1 minute ago, nambr9 said:

Funny thing is that I sold all my T6 ships because they kinda suck. The only one I kept is a premium ship called Arizona.

But in my eyes shes not a ship but I rather call her a floating brick with dispersion that even hits friendlies sailing behind you.

So .... farming days in T6 ops are long gone for me.

Fuso, Leander, Nurnberg, Bayern, Warspite, QE, Budyonny, Pensacola, Arizona, Shinonome. Come to think of it I don't think there is a single tier 6 ship I have played that I did not enjoy playing.

Yeah I will heavily disagree with you on this one. IMO tier 6 is one of the most balanced tiers currently and the only thing that screws it over is the constant up tiering.

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Players
2,911 posts
7,793 battles
16 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

Fuso, Leander, Nurnberg, Bayern, Warspite, QE, Budyonny, Pensacola, Arizona, Shinonome. Come to think of it I don't think there is a single tier 6 ship I have played that I did not enjoy playing.

Yeah I will heavily disagree with you on this one. IMO tier 6 is one of the most balanced tiers currently and the only thing that screws it over is the constant up tiering.

Fuso i havent played yet (entire IJN BB line), Leander was meh and I sold her same moment I got the Fiji. Bayern a floating brick, Warspite I dont have, QE (another BB line I havent played), Budyonny is nice I enjoyed her, but eventually sold her because I had Cleveland (Buddy doesnt have AA), Pensa I played where she was the only man made object visible from space, Arizona I explained and Shinonome was far worse for me than Farragut.

Yeah I do respect opinions and tastes ... but for me T6 without Cleveland is a nogo.

Players
1,022 posts
7,779 battles

There's no clear replacement IMO. DeGrasse feels OK, but when it comes to AA, not the same. I'll forever miss T6 Cleveland :cap_tea:

Killer Whale specifically, if you want to carry reliably, bring a 1/2/2 Ryujo. Just enough fighter power to stop enemy TB's, and unparalleled ability to delete whatever ship needs to go.

• Cool 1

[IRON7]
Players
169 posts
1,018 battles

Now, this might be a bit pragmatic as an answer, but bear with me:

2MrEx1h.jpg

Armour? Check.

Dakka? Check.

AA? Check.

Massive Pagoda? Double Check.

:cap_like:

• Cool 1

[ALONE]
Players
1,416 posts
10,918 battles

Definitely DeGrasse:

- weaker AA

- less guns/DPM

+ better maneuverability 

+ faster turret traverse

+ better AP

+ better shell arcs

+ torpedoes 

[HF_30]
Players
1,373 posts

Budyonny or Molotov for me, operations are about guns first and foremost and if you know how to keep them floating nothing beats these two when it comes to making short work of many lower tier ships quickly.

• Cool 1

[DC-DK]
Players
2,413 posts
24,467 battles

No dakka dakka but a delete button Pensacola with AP when you have to do a job well done.. Enough AA to smelt planes in ops. and good HE against DD's or some long range fire on BB's

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
1,323 posts
14,726 battles

I settled on buddy after a while, de grasse is also ok if u have it, molotov doesn’t really have the rof i want from cl for ops tbh (and isn’t really Well armored either), Dallas and nurn (Makarov) are a bit 2 sqishy despite decent rof, la gal is sort of meh tbh (maybee the speedloader nudges some life back in it but i wouldnt hold my breath), aosta is imo both 2 sqishy and has underwealming firepower, Perth is kinda ok (mega smoke) but with only 8 guns also meh, leander has heal going for it but only ap isn’t really what u want on t6 op cl. All heawys are just 2 slow firing imo aldough spee and pepsi have their percs

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
1,384 posts
5,761 battles

De-Grasse...

Sometimes Duca (depending on the operation.. That spotter plane comes very handy!)

But If I want to have so much fun! I get my Buddy!... oh those guns.. (I have a 19pt captain for her :) )