Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blixies

Des Moines 6th slot

6th slot for Des Moines  

69 members have voted

1. 1. 6th slot for Des Moines

• Reload
    • Range
    • Legendary upgrade
    • Other (please specify)

29 comments in this topic

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,330 posts
4,204 battles

Hello thar!
After a short and very very enjoyable "grind" through Buffalo, I finally arrived at the coveted Des Moines.
Now the question is, is what is the preffered upgrade for it?
I know many people get the range, but I'm not exactly sure if the 15 seconds shell travel time is manageable.
I had no trouble with the limited range of Buffalo, in fact I adored the ship.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b7ece9309c0e9b16ef781860db50e12e.png

Is the Des Moines really different story?

What is your experience?

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,228 posts
6,768 battles

Reload is best, but you need to be sure you can make it work.

If not, range.

DM LM is bad.

I'd say however, Buffalo is too different to DM. Compare it to the Baltimore instead. If you did't have trouble with Baltimore 15.8 range and guns, DM reload will be easy for you.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,157 posts
14,439 battles

Range grants you the flexibility that you desperately need in the BB meta imo.

• Cool 2

Players
2,159 posts

Personally I use the Range upgrade in that slot, I know plenty use the Reload, there's no "right" answer, I suggest try the one you feel is likely to suit you best and if you find you're struggling for the other swap.

It's more the feel of what works for you, I find the Range useful and the already great reload adequate.

Alpha Tester
1,835 posts
5,303 battles

My Des Moines is still in the port awaiting Halsey but my experiences when playing the Buffalo led me to install the range upgrade. It's not that the maximum firing range was bad, but being unable to fire at retreating battleships became annoying rather quickly.

On the other hand, I liked the old Baltimore so I'll need to see how Des Moines performs before I make my final judgement. I used both on the test server while playing Des Moines and they both had their uses. The range upgrade offered some more flexibility though.

[NWP]
Players
4,322 posts
6,214 battles
35 minutes ago, Blixies said:

I know many people get the range, but I'm not exactly sure if the 15 seconds shell travel time is manageable.

Since most BBs tend to be very immobile (:cap_haloween:), i think its possible, since you will most likely engange only them. But the other thing you have to consider: You can get spotted easier by having a longer firing range!

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,897 posts
5,783 battles

Additionally, how likely are you to receive smoke from teammates? If you have a division member who will smoke you up closer to the front then the reload is good. If you are relying on islands to provide protection the range is a better choice as you don't always have an island in a good forward position.

Players
1,014 posts
7,769 battles

I go with range. I tend to play around radar max range and use the AP as much as possible, but for tactical flexibility I like to have that 15-18 km bracket available. 

The HE still does great work at that range, and I find you can hit things just fine.

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,330 posts
4,204 battles
Just now, jss78 said:

I go with range. I tend to play around radar max range and use the AP as much as possible, but for tactical flexibility I like to have that 15-18 km bracket available. 

The HE still does great work at that range, and I find you can hit things just fine.

I will have to try that then. Perhaps the 15 sec is not so crazy as it sounds.

Thank you all for the great input. If this game is outstanding in one thing, it's the forum community (your mileage may differ).

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
4,096 posts
7,839 battles

In my opinion, on the Des Moines that is really a question of your personal frustration tolerance... As in, how annoyed do you get when the average T10 game is so campy that you regularly dont have anything in range for minutes at a time but at the same time can't push forward because you'd just get blapped? If you are happy to deal with that, then take reload and enjoy the extra firepower when you need it most. But for me, I prefer to be able to choose between more targets and positions - plus which, with a bit of practice, hitting BBs or stationary/slow-moving cruisers at long range isnt actually all that impossible.

Matter of preference, really - you should probably just try both...

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,661 posts
5,455 battles
10 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

hitting BBs or stationary/slow-moving cruisers at long range isnt actually all that impossible.

Does that mean it is is only a little bit impossible? ;)

Voted range, as agree with previous posters that even at max range, hitting stationary BB' is not that difficult, provided that you can actually reach out to them. (Just unlocked her myself, so very much in the learning phase).

[VAR]
Players
602 posts
7,695 battles
21 minutes ago, philjd said:

Does that mean it is is only a little bit impossible?

Kinda like none of the impossible missions in the Movies With the same name was very impossible ...

Slightly impossible I Guess ...

Players
1,372 posts
5,380 battles

Range Module and Spotter plane - Because I saw it on Youtube and it looked hilarious.

I mean it's utterly useless in Co-Op where the range closes to <10km very quickly but I use it for a very specific reason - to get deliberately "Spotted" right at the start by firing at max range so that the enemy BB's will shoot back (bots are forced to) and reveal themselves quickly, allowing much more time for everyone to shoot at them rather than waiting until they get to 14km-ish before being spotted.

I ran the AA Module too for a while just to be Max AA (2400+ DPS with DF active) which works well in Co-Op where  Bot CV appears quite often but I fancied a swap.

Players
4,314 posts
7,730 battles

Personally I run reload mod, if you can confess to your waifu (ab)use islands on every occasion, its worth a try.

[NOCAP]
Players
1,504 posts
15,380 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

Personally I run reload mod, if you can confess to your waifu (ab)use islands on every occasion, its worth a try.

Sure, but sometimes you spawn at C on Okinawa. Range gives you more options (e.g. fighting in the open), reload is more fun.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,002 posts
24,078 battles

Using range on DM as I play solo with no hope of certain smoke or other ships support, I want the abilty of doing something even if its less effective long range HE spam.

If you play in divisions the answer might be different.

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,330 posts
4,204 battles
12 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

Using range on DM as I play solo with no hope of certain smoke or other ships support, I want the abilty of doing something even if its less effective long range HE spam.

If you play in divisions the answer might be different.

Yeah I play in division, with one friend whose only tier X is the Yamato :)

I will go for the range and see how much I am able to hit with the insane travel time.

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,074 posts
17,364 battles
34 minutes ago, Blixies said:

Yeah I play in division, with one friend whose only tier X is the Yamato :)

I will go for the range and see how much I am able to hit with the insane travel time.

Range module is more about getting that last 1000 hp of a target before becomes unspotted or runs away  to repair.

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,900 posts
7,357 battles

I personally use Reload for randoms and range for ranked. 

Both work just fine for randoms tho. Reload forces me to have my head in the game and play for more impact (and as a result better scores). Range is safe, but makes me miss opportunities or makes me lazy. 

If you know how to position and counterplay BB snipes then Reload is faaar better. 

Important thing to note tho is that Range Mod increases your detect-ability bloom when firing guns, I find this to be a big issue in randoms as it gets me spotted 1-3 times a game where the reload would have kept me concealed. As DM uses Islands so much to be effective already, I find this to be a big reason not to use Range mod. 

If youre a decent player, get used to reload. Using range mod just made me delay learning to counter DMs biggest weaknesses. Once I learned them Range was almost already useless in my eyes.

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,330 posts
4,204 battles

Very first game in DM (using the reload):
I think I'm gonna like this ship.

Spoiler

shot-18_08.11_19_31.53-0682.thumb.jpg.c3b84b43ada48b3bc07d5889c3a308e0.jpg

• Funny 1

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
934 posts
4,242 battles

Fooled us all into thinking you were going to try the range module first and then surprised all those forumites in battle with the reload! :Smile_teethhappy:

Well played! For what it's worth, I've only recently purchased the PepsiCola and I'd have said reload, if only to abuse the standard reload. At tier 10 you've got to expect players to not rail-sail for the 15s it'd take for your shells to arrive.

They don't do that ... do they? :Smile_unsure:

• Cool 1

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,330 posts
4,204 battles
39 minutes ago, Strappster said:

Fooled us all into thinking you were going to try the range module first and then surprised all those forumites in battle with the reload! :Smile_teethhappy:

Well played! For what it's worth, I've only recently purchased the PepsiCola and I'd have said reload, if only to abuse the standard reload. At tier 10 you've got to expect players to not rail-sail for the 15s it'd take for your shells to arrive.

They don't do that ... do they? :Smile_unsure:

Well I did have the reload mounted and decided to try it out before refitting it.... I won't, the reload is crazy and the range is sufficient. I will post the results of today's "test" once I'm done.

• Cool 1

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,330 posts
4,204 battles
26 minutes ago, Ze_Reckless said:

Tell us how it went on Okinawa / Ocean. ;)

Didn't have the pleasure yet, but I fully realise that the reload upgrade is situational, but so is the range upgrade. So far I'm very satisfied.

Players
2,159 posts
7 minutes ago, Blixies said:

Didn't have the pleasure yet, but I fully realise that the reload upgrade is situational, but so is the range upgrade. So far I'm very satisfied.

As I said there's no right answer, whatever works for you is the correct choice.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this