You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Detonate_Me_Daddy

Anti-Aircraft Visuals and Sound

14 comments in this topic

[BEWBS]
Beta Tester
30 posts
6,490 battles

Hello gents,

The current state of AA is an audiovisual trash pit. Every single gun in the game has sounds separated into 3 Categories of Small, Medium, and Large caliber and beyond that have zero distinction in sound. In addition the Tracers have no distinction either, they have no correlation with the actual fire rate of the guns nor how many guns are on the ship in total. Among other issues these things makes AA FAR less than impressive to look at and hear. AA should be a spectical, a sight to behold. The reload of the guns need to be taken into effect whenever a sound queue is given. Each and every gun needs to have tracers and audio whenever they fire. These guns also need a more diversified sound package, even if this is not down to the gun itself, the caliber needs to be taken into *some* account. So that 40mm will sound different than 20mm will sound different than 12.7mm etc. Please WeeGee, make Anti-Aircraft guns look and feel great again.

• Cool 6

Players
2,160 posts

I guess the limited effects is a way to avoid screen clutter. They have to code the game for top to bottom spec machines and loads of effects makes performance pretty awful on weaker machines and graphics cards.

They're also planning to do some kind of console port for the game which may apply limitations.

Don't hold your breath, your request is in the "nice to have" rather than "must have" category I expect.

• Cool 2

[NOCAP]
Players
329 posts
13,244 battles

He is basically asking for the AA visuals that we had during the beta phase, it was much more visually intensive, but has been kicked down quite a few notches to make it more compatible with lower-end PC's. I hope a rework will follow in the future where we can have these options back. 

• Cool 6

[BEWBS]
Beta Tester
30 posts
6,490 battles

Basically that yeah, though the sounds were still garbage, it atleast had pretty tracers and plenty of them. I'm thinking they could get away with re-implementing these along with better sounds in the Ultra mode for the client.

• Cool 4

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,204 posts
14,454 battles

AA in CBT used to light up the sky and make you deaf once the close range mounts started firing.

Glorious sight truly, but a nightmare for audio awareness and apparently performance too, so they tuned it down a lot.

Wouldn't mind at all if at higher settings all tracers and sound overload return. :)

• Cool 6

Alpha Tester
1,102 posts
2,442 battles

AAA display appears to be "balanced" for "russian high-end-PC hardware". Just kidding. But if i remember correctly, AAA effects are indeed limited, to reduce impatct on bottom end spec PC´s. What i don´t get: why don´t they simply offer an option in the game settings, so each player can decide by himself about the quality of AAA effects. Maybe with a function, that will let the client check for the PC´s capabilities and automatically deny higher quality AAA effects, if the system is too weak. Or, at least, make those visuals/soundeffects accessable to modders, so we can have a visual mod, transforming the poor AAA effects into something more cinematic...

[HOO]
Players
1,219 posts
2,535 battles
10 hours ago, OttoZander said:

He is basically asking for the AA visuals that we had during the beta phase, it was much more visually intensive, but has been kicked down quite a few notches to make it more compatible with lower-end PC's. I hope a rework will follow in the future where we can have these options back. 

Sounds like a setting parameter needs to be added, to let us run AA effects as whatever our PC can manage or we want to see, a bit like graphics settings. 

The AA sounds and visuals are pretty poor. Hopefully something will be delivered as part of the CV / AA rework.

[BOBS3]
[BOBS3]
Players
410 posts

iChase's conclusions were similar to what Messiah_of_Whoops said in the OP here, that a lot of it was that different guns sounded the same so you didn't get as much feeling the AA fire was intensifying (more of the same sound makes less difference than adding a different sound). Also that orange tracers don't show up against a sunset/sunrise sky as well as white against blue.

I would like better AA effects; be nice to be able to tell how much HE damage has affected a ship's AA by that being more visible in the sky above it rather than pressing "H" and looking at the numbers. Or if I ever get a chance to use the Hood's Defensive AA, outside of operations, to have the sky above her be smothered in rocket fire rather than it only being visible by the swiftly falling planes.

[-FF-]
Players
760 posts
5,664 battles

I'd live to see more AA in action as well.

The Montana has so many AA guns, why do I see so few tracers... that makes me sad. It should be a firework! :cap_rambo:

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,358 posts
11,268 battles
17 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

I guess the limited effects is a way to avoid screen clutter. They have to code the game for top to bottom spec machines and loads of effects makes performance pretty awful on weaker machines and graphics cards.

They're also planning to do some kind of console port for the game which may apply limitations.(...)

This is no argument, though. The game has a bunch of video settings. If we can have a setting for "do you want to see a bunch of planes or just one plane representing each squadron" then we could also have varying level of detail when it comes to how AA is represented.

And I say it as someone who certainly wouldn't enjoy the high-tier effects, I'm just pointing out that "too heavy on hardware" argument only works when the "too heavy" can't be managed by video settings. It's a good argument against, say, sea state that would seriously affect aiming and shell hits (waves that actually do something) because something like that would need to be represented on all video settings. But denser and better-looking AA doesn't fall into this category.

A more realistic argument would be "not enough people are interested in this to justify the necessary resources that would need to be committed to such AA visual rework". I don't know if that's the case but, most likely, this is the reasoning why WG doesn't care about this (especially while CVs are so rare and so pre-rework).

[FDUSH]
Players
1,194 posts
6,749 battles

I really wish AA would be more visually impressive. Not only due the "coolness" of seeing lots of shoots coming from a single ship, but also it would give a clue about how many AA the target has (playing as a CV) but more importantly WHO it's firing at my planes.

Sometimes I attack an enemy destroyer or a cruiser which I know doesn't has defensive aa, but I know there is one cruiser nearby which DOES has AA by default (most of the USN tier 6+ cruisers). Sometimes I don't know if when I attack a ship my planes enters the outer aa of the cruiser with def AA because visually there is very little to no feedback about that. This is specially important if said cruiser deceides to activate its def aa and scrambles my attack planes. (I Allways check if there is a defensive fire consumable activated and when it does I retreat my planes. But nonetheless it would be quite useful to know how many ships are attacking my planes).

Beta Tester
1,907 posts
6,246 battles

It would be nice to add back all those flashes and sounds of the AA blasting on full, i know it was sweet, made it look cool and generaly (in my book) was more immersive than now, some may not have liked it, but if the dev team stays in the studio one hour more and makes the coding (for ultra settings, idk your the experts) im sure it would be thurraly welcomed by many. :Smile_honoring: