You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gravelbelly

I Really Like The Helena But I Love The Boise

24 comments in this topic

Players
197 posts

With the new Us CL line I was looking forward to see how the Dallas compared to the old Cleveland, but I didn't "feel" the ship, so I went on to the Helena. Wow what a ship. Yes it has weak armour and if you get out of position or get separated you can suffer.

Yet in a high majority of your games you can have really good fun with it. It was fast becoming my favorite US Cruiser.

Then I spotted the Boise, saw some youtube reviews and though "maybe not, stick with the Helena".

Then I spotted the deal where you buy the Boise and you can get the Argentine version free with a mission, so I went for it as I thought that it was a good deal.

Well, I can only say  thank the lord that I did. Even with less range and bigger turning circle, the heal really makes this ship a strong ship. I can't emphasize enough how much the heal helps this ship. I'd even say it is a very strong ship. Not OP, because if you get in the wrong position you can very easily be deleted. I am consistently getting better XP, scores and team positioning in this ship than any other ship that I play.

What a fun ship to play. I'd even go as far as to say it is better than the Helena. Grinding for the Argy ship is no problem at all and I will have it by tomorrow. Playing this ship has encouraged me to really think about positioning, moving from cover to cover, when to engage and when not to engage.  It has definitely improved my Cruiser play, even when I go to my Favorite British Cruisers, Fiji and Belfast, I see a marked improvement in my game-play with them.

The Boise is now my number one go to fun play Cruiser, and definitely one of my most fun ships of all the ones that I have.

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles

She is a exceptionally fun ship to play in for sure. And what is more, she manages to be it without being OP, quite a achievement, this.

• Cool 3

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
128 posts
5,552 battles

I like both but find myself playing Boise more.  I already have all the US CLs so don't need XP on Helena.  Boise being premium has its credit/XP advantages also.  Especially while you still have the extra XP missions up

shot-18.08.08_23.50.24-0753.jpg

shot-18.08.08_23.51.12-0944.jpg

• Cool 3

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
128 posts
5,552 battles

Oh and of course the monster heal does no harm either :Smile_great:

Players
1,647 posts
6,691 battles

Seeing that USS Helena and USS Boise are the only two ever build Brooklyn Class CLs and that one is trading gun range, a catapult fighter and either AA Fire or Hydro for a britsh cruiser heal...

326262_original_R_K_B_c_RainerSturm_pixe

2d5.png

[EDIT] Made an error regading their classes, as USS Helena is an St. Louis Class CL. Still a waste of money and Helena is the better ship overall!!!

Edited by Mandalorianer
Wrong Class for USS Helena

Players
197 posts
44 minutes ago, Xanta99 said:

I like both but find myself playing Boise more.  I already have all the US CLs so don't need XP on Helena.  Boise being premium has its credit/XP advantages also.  Especially while you still have the extra XP missions up

shot-18.08.08_23.50.24-0753.jpg

shot-18.08.08_23.51.12-0944.jpg

I would hazard a guess that you had a reasonable game there :)

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
128 posts
5,552 battles

It was, although the stats were a bit boosted by killing the transports.  Even so it was a very very close one.  We started with two DDs on the team and thought we were doomed.  The only reason we won at all was that I was divisioned with two excellent clan Atlantas.   We seriously carried the match and even then almost lost.  I was the only one left at the end and had to solo the entire last waves of ships.  Including Normandie and Colorado.  A few could stand to watch the replay and see what CL AP can do to those (I uploaded it as it was such epic fun)  https://replayswows.com/replay/28254#stats

And then the transport ship stole my kill.  Even so look at how everyone else did.  We were amazed we won.  I also took 60k damage and lived, partially because of the heal ship and partially because of Boise's awesome heal.

carry.jpg

boise heal.jpg

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,232 posts
3,385 battles
35 minutes ago, Mandalorianer said:

Seeing that USS Helena and USS Boise are the only two ever build Brooklyn Class CLs and that one is trading gun range, a catapult fighter and either AA Fire or Hydro for a britsh cruiser heal...

Wrong

Boise is a Brooklyn class, one of 7, Helena is the second of the two St.-Louis class. Do your research before spewing stupidity.

I guess if it's not in some tabloid you wouldn't find it.

2d5.png

• Funny 1

[DC-DK]
Players
2,398 posts
24,385 battles
38 minutes ago, Mandalorianer said:

2d5.png

You do know you're wrong??? Helena is a St.Louis class and Boise is a Brooklyn class

• Cool 1

[DC-DK]
Players
2,398 posts
24,385 battles
6 minutes ago, gravelbelly said:

Does the XP from the operations count towards the xp for the Argentine ship?

Yes all types of battles count

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
128 posts
5,552 battles

You realise that this week's Op as of today is the tier 6 Killer Whale?  Of course if you can fill out a division you can still do T7 ones

Players
341 posts
8,137 battles

I like both ships, and both are strong, but I find the Boise just gives up a little too much for the heal and faster turret traverse. For those 2 you give up turning and speed, gun range, reload, the fighter, being able to have both Hydro and Def AA and lastly 1km of AA range. Now I will say I have won games in the Boise that would have been unwinnable in the Helena, but then I have had games in the Boise where I wish I was in the Helena with the extra utility, reload and gun range, especially in a Tier 9 Game.

But it is nice to see that the Premium ship is not OP at all, despite someone calling me out in game that I was in an OP ship... their team had a Belfast... logic? :cap_book:

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
1,341 posts
17,268 battles
5 hours ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

I like both ships, and both are strong, but I find the Boise just gives up a little too much for the heal and faster turret traverse. For those 2 you give up turning and speed, gun range, reload, the fighter, being able to have both Hydro and Def AA and lastly 1km of AA range.

Turning radius is same for both Helena and Boise now, only because of lower speed Boise is slower in turning, and 1km shorter AA range (actually 0.8km shorter range of 127mm without any captain skill or module applied)  is because Helena and Boise don't have a same secondary guns. Helena is using 128/38 mm while Boise's are 127/25 mm  and that is why range on both is not a same. Lack of the plane is simple because it is a same version as 9dJ which never had one and WG didn't even bother to get back catapult on Boise model even tho she always had it while she was an USN ship. Lack of Hydro and DAA are probably result that WG never intended to release Boise and having all those consumables is a trade of US CLs not PanAm ships. I support trade of worse reload for heal but don't like that much less range and worse speed. Especially lack of speed is painful. 

5 hours ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

But it is nice to see that the Premium ship is not OP at all, despite someone calling me out in game that I was in an OP ship... their team had a Belfast... logic? :cap_book:

Boise ended as a good balanced and interesting premium at T7. Still I prefer Helena because of speed, range and way better gun angles over Boise.

[ITA_C]
Players
261 posts
7,034 battles
9 hours ago, gravelbelly said:

With the new Us CL line I was looking forward to see how the Dallas compared to the old Cleveland, but I didn't "feel" the ship, so I went on to the Helena. Wow what a ship. Yes it has weak armour and if you get out of position or get separated you can suffer.

Yet in a high majority of your games you can have really good fun with it. It was fast becoming my favorite US Cruiser.

Then I spotted the Boise, saw some youtube reviews and though "maybe not, stick with the Helena".

Then I spotted the deal where you buy the Boise and you can get the Argentine version free with a mission, so I went for it as I thought that it was a good deal.

Well, I can only say  thank the lord that I did. Even with less range and bigger turning circle, the heal really makes this ship a strong ship. I can't emphasize enough how much the heal helps this ship. I'd even say it is a very strong ship. Not OP, because if you get in the wrong position you can very easily be deleted. I am consistently getting better XP, scores and team positioning in this ship than any other ship that I play.

What a fun ship to play. I'd even go as far as to say it is better than the Helena. Grinding for the Argy ship is no problem at all and I will have it by tomorrow. Playing this ship has encouraged me to really think about positioning, moving from cover to cover, when to engage and when not to engage.  It has definitely improved my Cruiser play, even when I go to my Favorite British Cruisers, Fiji and Belfast, I see a marked improvement in my game-play with them.

The Boise is now my number one go to fun play Cruiser, and definitely one of my most fun ships of all the ones that I have.

I've meet one yesterday at 6km me in an aosta he full broadside going in a straight line i've shoot at him 34 ap rounds  in the right spot and scored just 1 citadel meanwhile with me angled he shoot me he setting 6 fires and depleting all my healt 

Players
2,160 posts
52 minutes ago, Torped1ne said:

I've meet one yesterday at 6km me in an aosta he full broadside going in a straight line i've shoot at him 34 ap rounds  in the right spot and scored just 1 citadel meanwhile with me angled he shoot me he setting 6 fires and depleting all my healt 

It's a light cruiser and Aosta's AP has high penetration value. Boise citadel isn't high over the waterline either.

[ITA_C]
Players
261 posts
7,034 battles
1 hour ago, BeauNidl3 said:

It's a light cruiser and Aosta's AP has high penetration value. Boise citadel isn't high over the waterline either.

It's citadel is also a bit translated towards the rear so is  better fire at the midrear section than the mid forward

Players
1,212 posts
7,639 battles

At 6k Duca's AP will citadel battleships, so it will probably overpen a broadside Helena/Boise. Use your torps, angle yourself so that your AP will arm inside the cruiser, or use HE. 

Players
1,647 posts
6,691 battles
13 hours ago, hgbn_dk said:

Helena is a St.Louis class and Boise is a Brooklyn class

13 hours ago, piritskenyer said:

Boise is a Brooklyn class, one of 7, Helena is the second of the two St.-Louis class. Do your research before spewing stupidity.

Yep, you're right. My bad.

Still dosn't change the fact that both, with the exeption of the different consumables, "basically" are the same f*cking ship inGame.

They even look like twins...

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Helena

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Boise

tenor.gif?itemid=9168081

[DC-DK]
Players
2,398 posts
24,385 battles

Main differences and recognition spots is the aft deck house and secondary/heavy AA guns. Otherwise they are more or less identical. The real ships differed in machinery as well

Players
1,212 posts
7,639 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

Duca has less than 200mm penetration vs unangled armor at 6km.

That must be very lucky citadels.

I must be a very lucky boy then! Cesare and Okt. Revska are battleships (not the best armoured, but they are) and I've had good results on other BBs. It's nice knowing you can be aggressive in the Duca, but it can be an issue V Cruisers.