You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Nautical_Metaphor

Why does the test server need ancient DirectX?!

5 comments in this topic

Question

Players
1,384 posts
10,332 battles

Hi,

I tried to install the public test client today and the first thing the bloody thing did was download and install some ancient DirectX version from 2005 and updates from 2008 when I have a perfectly good system that runs the regular game client with no trouble at all with DirectX 11 (Win 7 Ultimate).

In my limited experience, this kind of thing is asking for trouble.

Is that absolutely necessary or is there any way to avoid it?

4 answers to this question

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,742 battles

You should be able to switch between DX9 and 11 in the settings unger Graphics (first tab).

Players
1,384 posts
10,332 battles

Yes but the point is it has still been installed on my system, against better judgement and with no need that I can see.

Also it is disappointing that not only is a completely new client download happening (which takes three days where I live if I want to retain a modicum of bandwidth for other purposes) but that I can't even use the regular client and play WoWs during that time. There has to be a better way.

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,742 battles

At least you don't have to load a new client everytime. As soon as you got it once, you can update it like the regular client for the next public test.

[BGNAV]
Players
264 posts
3,319 battles

Wargaming does not want to do the work and integrate the test server with the game center, switching between test server and live should be done with 1 click from a drop down menu including for first time users. But I can understand them, with their work capacity such a thing will take 1-2 years and slow down the update cycle with an extra month between updates.