Sign in to follow this  
TerryDachtyl

Does the enjoyment improve?

17 comments in this topic

Players
3 posts
1,984 battles

Hi folks!

Firstly, I'm sorry that my first post isn't a positive one...

I can't say I'm enjoying too many of the Random games I've played in so far (regardless of whether my team wins/looses or I play good or bad), due to what I'd describe as a lack of effort by some and messing about by others. I'd guess that this is a fairly common sort of post on here but it's all new to me and I'd very much appreciate any and all input to try and rectify this, if that's at all possible.

Okay, I'm only at tier 4 and while I could afford a higher ship or two I've stuck with the Clemson for now as I'm unsure if the effort would justify any advance in the tiers at this time.

It's the amount of in game shenanigans that's doing my nut in. Deliberate team damage, AFK players, DDs doing their own thing and BBs either drifting along aimlessly helping no one or going full steam ahead into caps on their own, to name but a few. Even when you ask someone nicely to help or maybe just not clown about there's usually no reply and they carry on regardless. Maybe I've just been unlucky in my very limited 40 or so Random games that I've played so far? I have done around 650 or so co-op games trying out some ships and getting a few of the basics down a little better I hope, so here's hoping you don't feel I'm a complete donkey...

Now and again there may be two or three sensible sorts turn up, who look to have A) a reasonable degree of common sense and B) can handle their ship reasonably well too (going on my very limited knowledge of what they're doing), but they don't appear to be the norm thus far sadly. Hell, who knows, maybe it's just me!? I'm in my 50s, generally cranky (well, at least in this game), I don't get out much and I haven't got my leg over in ages...so all things are entirely possible.

Just to clarify in case you're already quaffing on your muesli/vindaloo/halibut etc, I certainly don't consider myself to be any good at this WoW malarkey at all. I've not taken to it like a duck to water like some younger types may have but I think I've got some of the basics down now. I try to keep the bigger picture/my team in the forefront of my mind and will try and spot mistakes in the offing by the opposition and try to punish them if at all possible. I've also had a fairly long peruse through some of the better known Youtuber's vids on battles, tactics and general game play which I hope has helped too.

So finally on to the questions...

Are my games likely to become more enjoyable for me as I progress in tiers do you feel? Is it maybe worth putting a concerted effort into say a cruiser line or two, for example (I don't think I could stomach BBs or CVs by the way)? Would a clan/outfit help at all for a little more sensible game play (mind you, I still like a good laugh if at all possible) or is it simply a case of me getting my leg over after all?

Thanks for your time

TerryDachtyl

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[UNICS]
Players
266 posts
6,399 battles

I don't think anyone is going to be able to say for certain whether you're enjoyment will increase up the tiers or not.  What I can do is tell you a bit about life at the next few tiers;

• I've not found intentional team damage to be a frequent thing at any tier so that might just be you being unlucky in those few games, in fact I can't remember any in the last 1000 games or so.  You'll get the odd person who seems to think raging at his team (or the red's) is a good way of instilling advise (normally it's along the lines of 'noob BB/CA/DD uninstall pls') just ignore them.
  • AFK's sadly happen at all tiers but having had a couple of games where my internet has suddenly decided to go down after a couple of hours stable play I tend to afford them the benefit of the doubt.  You get people sitting still for a minute or two when the game starts but normally they are moving within those couple of minutes.  Very rarely I've had people decide for whatever reason that they can't face playing this game (normally if bottom tier) and so sail to map border and go AFK, these I report but in my experience they are pretty rare.
  • You'll always have to deal with players who just go and do their own thing, be that the BB that snipes in the back or the DD that sails up the map edge looking for the enemy CV.  Or my personal favorite, the team that ignores the push from the enemy towards our cap (standard battle) and goes sailing into the corner chasing one BB........no matter how many times you ask them to come back and defend.  You'll have bad games but you'll also have good games whether the good outweigh the bad is something you'll only find out if you play more.

An active clan could be a good choice, there are plenty out there for you to choose from.  Finding a clan that has members mainly around your age range shouldn't be an issue either.  If you do go that way Teamspeak would be advised if only so that you can actually talk to the people your playing with, it's easier to have a laugh that way.

What I can definitely advise though is to play more ship classes, it's best to have an idea of how the 3 major classes play so you can have an idea of how each plays against the other.  Tier 4 is also a really good tier to learn at as you are in protected matchmaking (you won't play against anything above tier 5).  If you choose to play on up the tiers be aware that tier 5 has some rough MM as that tier see's a lot of tier 7's, I've still found most of the games to be quite fun though.

• Cool 3

Players
3 posts
1,984 battles

Thanks Ace_Rimmer. That seems like eminently sensible advice.

I may well try a few more varied lines and ships and possibly look into the clan option too.

Here's hoping I can put up with things in the meanwhile...

Thanks again

TerryDachtyl

[SM0KE]
Players
2,586 posts
6,443 battles

As mentioned above, one can't really answer your core question with a definitive yes/no answer, but some factors to consider (as well as @Ace_Rimmer01's good answer above):

At time of writing, you're showing four battles at T5, and everything else is below that; it also looks a bit like you may have either free-xped one or two ships, or played them exclusively in coop - whilst there is nothing wrong with this approach, it does mean you miss out a bit on some experience, plus coop has some eccentricities that one has to adjust for.

At the low tiers, apart from a few seal-clubbers, most people don't really have a fully developed understanding of the game yet, so idiotic behaviour won't be that uncommon (that's not to say it vanishes at higher tiers altogether though!); try not to let it get to you too much, and just focus on what you can control i.e. your own play. I find the 'idiot index' generally to be lower at higher tiers, but you'll still encounter the odd blithering idiot (me, probably).

Try not to play 'stock' ships (i.e. those without at least the key modules unlocked and installed); I find that the 'fun' increases significantly with a fully upgraded ship; the same is true of captains, although it matters less at lower tiers (the premium HMS Gallant changes massively when you get a CE captain in her, as she suddenly gains a stealth torp firing window, for example) than it does higher up. This is where coop mode comes in: if you have the patience, research your modules in coop mode for a given ship, and then venture out against real people when it's been upgraded (sources like the wiki are good places to look for an indication of module priorities for research); if you lack patience, use free xp (generally don't research new ships with free xp though - that's rather inefficient/expensive).

Play a wide range of nations and classes (although probably avoid CVs for now - they're going to be significantly changed SoonTM); each nation and class tends to have a distinct character, and you may gel better with some than others - for example, I tended to get on better with torp boats initially, so the IJN DDs/cruisers were a better initial choice than the Russians, and so on. Once you isolate the ships you get on with, the levels of fun should improve.

I would suggest developing a small fleet at T4, and get really proficient with them before venturing higher: T5 and above get +2 MM, so you'll start to face much scarier opponents (you've probably seen this already with your T5). Speaking of, I note your lone T5 is a British cruiser: although this line is great fun, it isn't the most forgiving, so it's often worth making that one's third or fourth line (says he, who didn't, but is still rubbish in them).

Overall, there are a lot of frustrations early on in the game, but there clearly is fun to be had for a lot of folk.

Suggest finding a few folk to platoon with (actually, I think 'division' is the relevant expression for WOWS) as well - you'll learn stuff, and probably have more fun to boot. Suggest joining a clan too, for similar reasons.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
2,586 posts
6,443 battles

Oh yes, @TerryDachtyl: keep asking questions on here - there are usually plenty of folk around who'll happily answer questions. I've found on several occasions that something which frustrated me about the game had a fairly simple fix, when I asked...

[PST]
[PST]
Alpha Tester
475 posts
5,276 battles

at the tier 1-4 it takes people usualy a day or four and those tiers you can have random hodgepodge of skill (either super uper uber ultimate ships with 19point captains or new players)

so you will see the tier do change abit form tier 5-7 you will have the ones have less issues with random torpers etc as they will learn how to torp (unless you meet me that sometimes derp superduper and torp you) and they usualy learn the lemming mentality (actualy semi good in ships as more guns = easier to kill enemy ships)

Players
4,085 posts
6,225 battles
17 hours ago, TerryDachtyl said:

Are my games likely to become more enjoyable for me as I progress in tiers do you feel?

Hard question. You got some good answers here already. For me personaly, I play the entire range from T4 to T10 (with the occasional T2/T3 even) and there is not much difference in the level of enjoyment. You can have great games on any tier. Also, there is so much stupid stuff going on at T7 to T10, you´d think those people around you are all playing their first day of this game. Its best to play a ship that you like and that suits your playstyle. If that is T4 or T10 is completly up to you.

17 hours ago, TerryDachtyl said:

Would a clan/outfit help at all for a little more sensible game play (mind you, I still like a good laugh if at all possible) or is it simply a case of me getting my leg over after all?

Doesnt have to be a clan but I highly advice you to play with one or two friends in a division. Im 100% sure I wouldnt be playing this game anymore if I´d have to go solo all the time. Alone you are at the mercy of the random players. Dont count on teamplay, support or help in dire situations. When there are 2 friends around you however...

• Cool 1

Players
8 posts
822 battles

There are different ways to look at the game. Mastering new ships, improving your map awareness and getting better are all skills that you develop. It makes the game more interesting until you reach a level where you get more and more annoyed by other peoples mistakes. There will be players like you that try to improve and others that don't. Its all about the attitude.

Players
3 posts
1,984 battles

Verblonde et al, thank you. I've got the wiki bookmarked now and am looking through some potential options in regards to both ships that might keep the interest going as well as their associated upgrades, to see what's likely to fit with how I'd like to play.

Cheers!

• Cool 2

Players
3 posts
3,852 battles

I started playing earlier this year and made a few observations at that time and I find your question very interesting. Generally speaking I would say 'yes', but with the usual caveats - I have pretty much played nothing but low tier (1-4) 'random'.

Bad Experiences:

As soon as I stick my head above the parapet in Co-op all 'red' guns seem to train on me and I'm blown out of the water within a few minutes. probably best to find a clan for that game. 

The green 'team' communication in random is non-existent unless a few friends are playing together, which will be obvious.  

Getting picked on by a CV. Depends what you are driving of course but it is a bit annoying when a CV does nothing else other than constantly torp you. The only good thing about it is that while you are taking 'one for the team' someone else gets close enough to kill the CV   

There are other aggravations of course, such as someone demanding we 'do this' or 'do that' and I have been met with abuse (and indeed 'friendly fire') when declining to do so (this is more prevalent during the school holidays of course) so now I just ignore them. 

AFK at start - It happens. Sometimes can't be helped; urgent phone call, girlfriend walking in half dressed, dinner burning, etc. In fact on one occasion I was distracted away urgently from the game (with BB on auto pilot) and when I came back 15 minutes later I had completed my route, shot down three aircraft and sunk a DD with my secondaries - I'm not sure I was really needed!

Other's lack of perception of your intentions. It should be fairly clear that if playing a DD, for example, you will be gettng up close and personal to enemy vessels and that you will be launching lots of torpedoes in that direction - quite often I have taken fatal damage because a 'friendly' CC has decided to loiter in the wrong place or blundered into my torp attack (OK my fault). If playing a CC or BB I let the DD's go in and support them by taking out other DD's. If I'm a BB I cover the CC's against other CC's and BB's (and sometimes get a DD... :) 

Good Experiences:  

Mastering various skill sets and options and recognising which ones you don't need ('Supercontainer', really?)

Sometimes people recognise what you are doing and join in - had a great game with someone the other day who 'got' the above hierarchy bit and we wiped the floor with the red's - that was a good game but very rare, didn't catch their name but gave them a good report at the time.

If it all gets silly in Tier IV (or I have to go pink for a couple of games) I go back to Tier I and play a couple of quick games - normally sink a few as a CC and then go back to a Tier IV BB and cover people. The few BB v BB fights I have been in end up badly for me as I cannot get the guns cranked around in time on target if we are circling, if I ever crack that it will be an enjoyable moment!

So yes, I think there is enjoyment to be had in different Tiers and on different levels - sometimes the games suck but so does life on occasion, so you get on with it and sometimes it all works out fine.        

[SM0KE]
Players
2,586 posts
6,443 battles
2 hours ago, G46 said:

As soon as I stick my head above the parapet in Co-op all 'red' guns seem to train on me and I'm blown out of the water within a few minutes. probably best to find a clan for that game. 

It's worth getting to know the behaviours of the various bots in the game, as they inform many of the key differences between randoms and coop.

In general, coop is a lot easier than randoms, assuming you aren't playing at a time when no-one else is on the server (it's very possible to lose a coop game if you are the only human player); that said, the following is worth having on the radar:

• The bots always know where you are; they won't fire until you're spotted, but your location is never a complete mystery.
  • Unlike many real people (<cough> battleships <cough>), the bots are not usually yellow swine i.e. they won't hide on the borders and snipe at range; they will come to get you.
  • Who they target will vary, but if you're the first to be spotted, everything in range will unload at you (in Ops, I believe they try and finish off weakened ships first, but I don't know if they do that in regular coop).
  • Bots can be idiots - you will often see friendly fire from bots!
  • Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Didn't read your post fully. Seeing your stats I see you built up a lot of experience in COOP first. IMO that's a very good thing you did. You should have all controls in your muscle memory now and have basic tactics.
I see you have hardly played Randoms. 42 as I write this. Nothing wrong with that. I'd only say it's too soon for conclusions. Randoms can, no, will be very unpredictable. Especially on low tiers. Personally I find it a blast to jump into a T3 boat and join the absolute chaos reigning there. The "deliberate" team dmg is in 99,9% of the cases caused by people who don't have any clue what they're doing (a.k.a. didn't build up enough COOP experience like you did). Randoms can be infuriating boring, delivering/ receiving landslides mediocre but also nail to the bone biting thrillers. Where you end up winning and stammering "did I just do that?!"

tl;dr I advice you to hold on. Draw your conclusions when you hit the 1000 matches.

• Cool 2

Players
3 posts
3,852 battles

I could add to my response above that this weekend I had a bit of success with a RN Orion, which I usually play as a backstop, but had some surprising success using it in a similar way to a CC, so that was an enjoyable outcome.

Unfortunately my last three games yesterday evening, with my RN Danae, saw me wiped out three times in a row when caught off guard and in the wrong position. In the last game I noticed two BB's huddling together the other side of the action in the 'A' zone and another one was stuck in the margin so it cancelled out the previous 'enjoyment' out. 

But I guess it depends on what your definition of enjoyment is. I try to learn from my mistakes and I find this game a challenge. Sometimes it can be annoying but other times it makes you smile. I have not bothered yet to get into the human performance areas of my Commanders and neither have I bought any doubloons so far - other than the internet charges this game has been free. So I'm happy with that. 

[SM0KE]
Players
2,586 posts
6,443 battles
On 8/13/2018 at 9:58 AM, G46 said:

Unfortunately my last three games yesterday evening, with my RN Danae, saw me wiped out three times in a row when caught off guard and in the wrong position. In the last game I noticed two BB's huddling together the other side of the action in the 'A' zone and another one was stuck in the margin so it cancelled out the previous 'enjoyment' out. 

Bear in mind that the RN cruisers are notorious for not being 'easy mode'; if one fancies giving cruisers a lash, the IJN and/or US ones are a bit more friendly (if you like torps, go with IJN, as the US lines lose them from T6 onwards, I think).

I do enjoy the RN cruisers, although I'm rubbish with them...

Beta Tester
290 posts
3,507 battles

My enjoyment with this game comes and goes, I’ve played ever since CBT was announced, with some breaks in between. I think my current streak is the best nearing a year of activity without breaks and I think thats down to me actually getting some tier 10s, switching classes when the meta changes etc. For quite awhile I played DDs only, then they added the american CL line and my enjoyment with DDs fell, I started playing my Zao again and found enjoyment in that, decided to grind out the Des Moines and Worcester, currently enjoying them. And now I’m just waiting for the secondary IJN line to be complete so I can enjoy those :).

I think enjoyment is a passing thing in a game like this, some days I have great games with solo warriors and krakens, other days I cant win a single game, those days I just need to stop playing and find something else to do, then come back to the game another day for a fresh start. :)

[-AP-]
Players
739 posts
2,912 battles

I'm gonna go straight against everyone here, get to tier 5 and 6 asap. I find almost no enjoyment at all at any tier below 5 as all the ships are so incredibly dull and lacking in character and depth. 

Try to learn the game at tier 6 rather than tier 4.

Players
8 posts

I used to love this game, but several updates have just made the game worse in my view.

I used to play dds more, but now radar has taken any enjoyment from them.

Also I've noticed most my battles in Tier 7 are upgraded to the highest tier, so not much fun fighting higher tier battleships that can 1 shot u and take you out of the game.

I have alot of ships I just don't play now, the fun they used to once have has gone.  Playing battles and seeing how you've lost credits at the end is not fun also.

At the moment most days I can last 3 battles before I'm totally sick of the game.

Sign in to follow this