You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blixies

Are the French BBs worth it?

35 comments in this topic

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,342 posts
4,206 battles

Hello thar!
After a long long time I feel maybe it's time to get into battleships again.
The only one's I'm missing are Montana and the whole of French line.

Are the Frenchies worth it? What are the strong and weak points of the ships and the whole line in general?
What can I look forward to?

Thank you for the input.

[TTT]
Players
4,106 posts
7,842 battles
24 minutes ago, Blixies said:

Hello thar!
After a long long time I feel maybe it's time to get into battleships again.
The only one's I'm missing are Montana and the whole of French line.

Are the Frenchies worth it? What are the strong and weak points of the ships and the whole line in general?
What can I look forward to?

Thank you for the input.

speaking from T6 upward (until then they're just run of the mill generic boats with not much to make them stand out), the French line is far and away my favourite overall Battleship line from a design point of view.

Why? Not because they're all incredibly strong for their tier, although they sure arent weak. No, it's because each of the ships is interesting, unique in some form for its tier, each ship has something to look forward to, and at the same time they are all very solid platforms that allows the special aspects of each to shine without throwing too much mud over them.

Normandie at T6 is essentially a much much more mobile NewMex, which massively helps with influencing a battle even if the guns aren't quite as strong.

Lyon at T7 has its absolutely hilarious 16-rifle buckshot broadside - inaccurate as all hell, but it doesnt matter when you throw this much metal downrange. Otherwise mostly just a solid ship - not a lot to be annoyed about, just carries you into places to have fun with your main battery.

Richelieu at T8 is everything Dunkek wanted to be, because it's got the bow armour to actually tank BB shells (Lolpenmato excepted obviously). Very solid 15" guns once you get a feel for them too, deceptively agile for BB standards, decent concealment and AA - you can very easily play a mobile BB with it, and only go bowtank mode when the situation is right for it.

Alsace at T9 has ridiculous amounts of firepower, both the main battery and its secondaries (if you fully spec for them including IFHE to make the 100mm actually do something) are fantastic. Coated in 32mm plating so Yamatos and HE spammers are a problem, but the ship needed some sort of weakness I suppose... probably tier for tier the strongest ship in the line imho.

And finally, at T10, you get the Republique. Again coated in 32mm, relatively low durability is its main weakness but those gun. Dear lord, those guns. The pen on them is completely batshit insane, and they're (usually) reasonably accurate too with their 2.0 sigma. Completely dumps on most cruisers, citadels for days on careless BB broadsides, and the 24s base reload is very tasty too.

• Cool 5

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles

If you want a BB for something like CB then get the Monty 1st, especially if you're at the Iowa already

French do seem to be solid picks tho. Armour's the same as on RN BBs - HE eats you alive, 32mm is best you can hope for, but apart from that they seem solid. Currently I've only played them up to t6 + the Republic, but overall opinions in between seem... more or less obvious

• t5 Bretagne - your typical dreadnought. She's no Konig, but at least she's far above NewYork. Solid ship for the tier, of course biggest problem is you constantly fighting 7s
  • t6 Normandie - the simplest way to explain this would be Fuso on steroids. I don't have any comparisons that would fit better, at least on my opinion. Also Normandie is the one who starts the lines idea of being fast
    • One grave weakspot - that AA might aswell simply not be there. I have had Zuihos drop me without losing a single plane to my AA (literally the only ship like this in a rather AA heavy line)
  • t7 Lyon - currently one of the strongest t7 BBs, or so stats would suggest. Also with 16 shells in the air you're simply bound to land something on a target
  • t8 Richelieu - bow-on playstyle tends to be an easy concept to grasp. 32mm bow is good enough to make you immune to almost all AP while angled. 1st in line to get the Baguette Boost
  • t9 Alsace - I was looking forward to this ship, but tbh now I'm not so sure about it after WG butchered her guns. Will have to wait a bit and then see how she's doing
  • t10 Republic - everything on paper says "this ship shouldn't work, it's terrible". And yet it works, and pretty well at that. Simplest comparison would be that she's an alternative version of Montana - a jack of all trades ship which isn't particularly specified in any one thing, but also doesn't suck at any one thing.
    • What I imagine to be a very weird difference is that Republic, unlike ALL other BBs, doesn't rely on a single strong punch, instead going for rate of fire and many smaller, but very precise attacks.
    • One unfortunate negative - Republic doesn't carry a spotter plane (well, no plane at all to be more correct) which is a big thumbs down on my side
    • Oh yeah, thing noone mentions - she has the same 48% fire chance as Conq does on the 419s
  • Cool 5

[-HUN-]
Players
829 posts
8,477 battles

Depends. T7 is fun and enjoyable.

T8 makes you angry.

T9 used to be as fun as T7 but it has been nerfed and now only makes you angry.

T10 I don't know.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
3,185 posts
12,579 battles
56 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

speaking from T6 upward (until then they're just run of the mill generic boats with not much to make them stand out), the French line is far and away my favourite overall Battleship line from a design point of view.

Why? Not because they're all incredibly strong for their tier, although they sure arent weak. No, it's because each of the ships is interesting, unique in some form for its tier, each ship has something to look forward to, and at the same time they are all very solid platforms that allows the special aspects of each to shine without throwing too much mud over them.

Normandie at T6 is essentially a much much more mobile NewMex, which massively helps with influencing a battle even if the guns aren't quite as strong.

Lyon at T7 has its absolutely hilarious 16-rifle buckshot broadside - inaccurate as all hell, but it doesnt matter when you throw this much metal downrange. Otherwise mostly just a solid ship - not a lot to be annoyed about, just carries you into places to have fun with your main battery.

Richelieu at T8 is everything Dunkek wanted to be, because it's got the bow armour to actually tank BB shells (Lolpenmato excepted obviously). Very solid 15" guns once you get a feel for them too, deceptively agile for BB standards, decent concealment and AA - you can very easily play a mobile BB with it, and only go bowtank mode when the situation is right for it.

Basically this. I've only recently reached the Richelieu but tier 6-8 has been a joy to play. I was not at all expecting to enjoy the Richelieu from what I had read/heard about it. Very nice design for a bb that hasn't been given enough credit. Looking forward to the rest.

I saw Jean Bart playtested today btw.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,396 posts
5,436 battles
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

• Oh yeah, thing noone mentions - she has the same 48% fire chance as Conq does on the 419s

True, but with that reload, penetration, 30 mm plating overmatch and 2.0 sigma that AP almost completely overshadows it IMO.  Also while it does have probably the most consistent BB guns I have put my hands on (apart from Yamato) it still has BB dispersion after all, and 8 shells is just not enough to make it a reliable HE spammer. Not to mention less HE alpha and less penetration.

HE on the Republique is more of a anti bow on weapon and switching to it is not that punishing thanks to the reload. 

Players
1,212 posts
7,642 battles

Bretagne is actually worth taking a bit of time over - not only are her main guns accurate and punchy (they are the same ones as on the Normandie and Lyon, so you can dominate your own Tier and have no reason to be afraid of higher tier enemies) but her secondaries are very effective, and her ponderous speed means high-tier opponents are constantly shooting half a mile ahead of you.

Normandie is hilarious - it's a Super-Heavy cruiser, faster than Graf Spee with twice as many guns , with a much smaller profile than Dunkerque.  Lyon is a quad-barrel shotgun of a ship. I have only played against the others but a bow on Richlieu is a nightmare. Alsace, though, seemed a bit soft-centred. 

Players
1,066 posts
5,709 battles

I'm grinding legendary module for Reppumaru now and for me she is a blast. Very strong fast BB that can easily be a supporter for cruisers as well as brawl in cqc. Looking forward to increasing reload even further to punish German bbs and broadside sailing Yamatos even more. Republique is also a hammer for nose in Des Monines.

[DC-DK]
Players
2,398 posts
24,389 battles

Bretagne and beyond great ships.. Most fun Alsace its still strong after the nerf.. Best part fully specked secondary commander fits perfectly on the Gastogne. Perfect for farming close quarters expert flags.

[NOCAP]
Players
329 posts
13,240 battles

Republique is a great ship at the end of the journey, but Alsace used to be my favorite in the line. Before WeeGee got pissy and butchered it that is. Now it's just.... ehhh... it has guns, they go boom... Boring like every other sheep-boat.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,716 posts
9,234 battles
9 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Bretagne is actually worth taking a bit of time over - not only are her main guns accurate and punchy (they are the same ones as on the Normandie and Lyon, so you can dominate your own Tier and have no reason to be afraid of higher tier enemies)

Same rifles, most certainly not the same shells.

Just as a point of note, the Konig's 305s have more penetration past 6km than the Bretagne's 340s.

Bretagne is just bad.
Poor armor, shockingly poor HP pool,  the same torpedo protection as a Mikasa (!!), guns that might be slightly more accurate than others, but only because the shells are so awful that they lose all their velocity quickly and land with a tighter vertical pattern than other ships.
The Bretagne is a T3 armored ship with T6 AA, T4 guns and a submerged citadel.

Players
1,212 posts
7,642 battles
22 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

Same rifles, most certainly not the same shells.

I wondered about that. The Wiki gives the shells different names but all other stats quoted are the same, so presumably the difference is down to stuff like Krupp values.....

35 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

Bretagne is just bad.
Poor armor, shockingly poor HP pool,  the same torpedo protection as a Mikasa (!!), guns that might be slightly more accurate than others, but only because the shells are so awful that they lose all their velocity quickly and land with a tighter vertical pattern than other ships.

Ah, we'd have to differ on that. I found it to be a Tier V Queen Elizabeth, but with the centre turret and better traverse allowing easier firing. Quite pleasant to have a straightforward super-dreadnought BB in amongst the novelty drawer of the RN and French lines. 

[BLITZ]
Players
2,190 posts
9,379 battles
2 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

I wondered about that. The Wiki gives the shells different names but all other stats quoted are the same, so presumably the difference is down to stuff like Krupp values.....

2,408 vs 2,350 krupp. Other than they're indeed the same.

[KDT]
Players
7 posts
1,288 battles
On 07/08/2018 at 9:01 PM, Humorpalanta said:

Depends. T7 is fun and enjoyable.

T8 makes you angry.

T9 used to be as fun as T7 but it has been nerfed and now only makes you angry.

T10 I don't know.

Best answer :)

Tbh, stay away of every french ships. I was playing nearly only for french ships, I will probably stop playing them since WG is destroying it (nerf coming on Charles Martel and Saint Louis and nerf on Emile Bertin and Alsace).

To give some figures of my experience with the Alsace :

Pre-Nerf : avg dam > 70k

Post-Nerf : avg dam for 10 games arround 40k

So if you don't want to invest time, effort and money to be screwed; just wait until WG is done raging about "their" Soccer World Cup

• Cool 1

Players
1,762 posts

Hi,

T7 frenchy is deadly as can be to cruisers.

T8 needs bow on playstyle and works quiete well with that

T9 Alsace was a very strong ship until wargaming nerfed the guns. Not recommended anymore.

T10 is a nasty ship.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles

Lyon (T7) is not only good, she's exceptional fun. If you play no other tier 7 BB, play this one.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
978 posts
7,802 battles

Tier 7 Lyon is great fun, very nice to play. 

Tier 8 is pure frustration. Tanky as a King Tiger in 1944 but she can't do any damage back, bad dispersion combined with low number of guns.

Tier 9, despite having the same guns as the tier 8, works wonderfully, I have an almost 40k difference in avg. damage between the two, she is an excellent brawler and still tanky. 

Tier 10, I personally consider Repub a downgrade from the Alsace, lack of volume of fire and frustrating overpens only salvoes lead to a lower damage score than the tier 9, her saving grace is mobility in CB's and when she does citadel, she does 14,500 dmg per citadel hit. 

• Cool 1

Players
424 posts
4,902 battles

Having been extremely disappointed with the US BB line at T9, the French BB line felt like a very rewarding grind. Damage is consistent, mobility is good, secondaries are useful, and I easily had a higher average damage in the French T6 than I had on the US T9.

From T6 onwards it's an improvement at every tier. Currently at the T8, but with each tier the average damage and XP has increased.

Players
1,018 posts
7,773 battles

I've loved the Richelieu.

Bow-on tanking isn't a sufficient description of the playstyle. You'll be neglecting one of the major assets, the four-and-half-minute speed boost (with upgrade), which pushes you beyond 36 knots with Sierra Mike signal.

It also has fairly decent secondaries which can do more work than you expect because of the good fire chance.

The guns are really comfortable. Deceptively easy to hit with because of the flat arcs.

And it's a goddamned fine looking ship.

(With this avatar I can't claim to be a neutral observer, but it's really a ship with a bunch of assets if you study it.

[GWDYS]
Players
371 posts
2,941 battles

I love Alsace, even if she got nerfed its still a fun ship. Its like a shotgun :Smile_teethhappy:

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,229 posts
6,768 battles

Gotta love how people are saying "Alsace got butchered".

The ship was overperforming a lot. Some people I know were even wondering if Alsace wasn't the better tier 10 over the République. It deserved that nerf, and it is far from being bad still. It got 12 guns at tier 9 with very good penetration, the dispersion may be a bit meh, but it's clearly good enough.

République is also a very good ship. Definitely fun to play, and the 431 are amazing guns. It's fragile however, so you better know well what you are doing. On the other hand, the mobility allows for very quick repositioning so even if you f*ck up your positioning a bit, it's not as crippling as, say, a Yamato which will take a minute to turn its guns and 30 second to turn the whole ship.

• Cool 1

[-HUN-]
Players
829 posts
8,477 battles
1 hour ago, ShinGetsu said:

Gotta love how people are saying "Alsace got butchered".

The ship was overperforming a lot. Some people I know were even wondering if Alsace wasn't the better tier 10 over the République. It deserved that nerf, and it is far from being bad still. It got 12 guns at tier 9 with very good penetration, the dispersion may be a bit meh, but it's clearly good enough.

République is also a very good ship. Definitely fun to play, and the 431 are amazing guns. It's fragile however, so you better know well what you are doing. On the other hand, the mobility allows for very quick repositioning so even if you f*ck up your positioning a bit, it's not as crippling as, say, a Yamato which will take a minute to turn its guns and 30 second to turn the whole ship.

Alsace has no range as a T9. It's an up close ship but to do that you'll receive an extreme amount of damage. HE eats it up alive. No tanking in it. It had a good point in guns. You could hit things well and you could punish people back. Frankly damage for damage. Right now: ship lacks in range, consistent guns, lacks armor, lacks AA, speed. Yes, it has Spood beast but it makes it only a lil bit faster than US BBs. So nothing exceptional in speed either. Oh yes and turning is terrible too.

All the positive feedbacks still come from pre-nerf stats. It was a mistake just like the change for frenchy cruisers coming...

WG wants gimmicky gimmick ships so they can give all the good stuff for russian BBs.

[GWDYS]
Players
371 posts
2,941 battles

I dont think alsace got butchered, they just toned her a bit. Its still awesome and fun ship

2 hours ago, Humorpalanta said:

Alsace has no range as a T9. 

She got plenty of range, BBs who snipe at 20km+ are useless anyway in the most cases . So thats not a bad thing

• Cool 1

Players
535 posts
6,040 battles

I like to call my Republique - Greatest Battlecruiser  in game  - it is grotesque :)

, by far my favorite ship,, only 1 thing that it's missing and WG should give her and that is hydro or even better spotter/fighter plane option ..