You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Amaterasu_Regale

Can we get an option to opt out of Epicenter?

44 comments in this topic

Players
603 posts
4,808 battles

I feel like I'm in the minority that actually loves the game mode. The huge cap in the center means that the, "Cap A in Ice Islands" or, "C in Warrior's Path" people don't completely remove themselves from the fight most of the time. The real problem arises when there are too many radar ships or a big skill gap between CVs, but that problem exists in each game mode, they just manifest differently with epicenter.

Beta Tester
3,962 posts
14,653 battles
1 hour ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

I feel like I'm in the minority that actually loves the game mode.

One of the few, yes...

And the main problem with Epeencenter Mode is the same as on all other modes: Potatoes. And as people have to play that mode either russian - all rush middle and damn the torpedoes! - or with some brains, playing it like a potato means you play it wrong.

Fun fact: I hate that battlemode... but I'm quite good at it :cap_haloween:

Spoiler

I would love to see a lot of Epeencenter on the Ocean map though, for all tiers!!!

Players
597 posts
5,823 battles
On 07/08/2018 at 10:02 PM, Negativvv said:

As long as some of you stay inside the 3 circles then it's basically a Standard Battle as the points tick so slowly.

On 07/08/2018 at 10:47 PM, Estaca_de_Bares said:

They don't tick at all if the inner circle is contested (that equals to contesting all the rings), just go up and down with the ships sunk.

Isn't this the problem with epicallywankcentre? We have 2 players each with 11k games telling us different things. The mode is a clusterfuck of stupid.

Some folk love it, some folk hate it. Doesn't mean we all have to enjoy it when we have no option but to play it. Yolo it if you hate it, go centre (or not) if you love it.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
22 minutes ago, DB2212 said:

Isn't this the problem with epicallywankcentre? We have 2 players each with 11k games telling us different things. The mode is a clusterfuck of stupid.

Some folk love it, some folk hate it. Doesn't mean we all have to enjoy it when we have no option but to play it. Yolo it if you hate it, go centre (or not) if you love it.

We're actually saying very similar things.

As long as both teams don't full lol camp and both enter the cap circles with the bulk of their forces then the caps will tick slowly or not at all and the points movement will be from losses. That's essentially a Standard Battle with three circles to sit in.

Of course if teams choose not to go inside any cap circle then things are kinda different. 

The latter option happens way too often which is the problem I think :Smile_child:

Players
813 posts
12,997 battles
31 minutes ago, DB2212 said:

Well, Negativvv answered about the "disparity" while I was checking something: there was (still is? not listed in the wiki, though, and I don't remember playing a single time while grinding up US lines recently) a map mode for lower tiers, in the map Big Race at least for sure, that consisted in a single big cap activating 2 minutes into the battle, and victory going to the team that kept a ship in it uncontested for another 2 minutes IIRC. Epicentre is, in that regard, an evolution more domination-like than standard-like of that mode, but similar logic applies.

Salute.

Players
1,051 posts
7,971 battles

I like all the modes, honestly.

I prefer Domination for that nice balance of multiple objectives and fighting the enemy team.

But Standard and Epicenter are both OK, and I like the diversity they bring.

• Cool 2

Players
629 posts
7,600 battles
On 8/8/2018 at 5:38 AM, Cyclops_ said:

Love epicentre, but hate players that just can not grasp the simple  fundamental objective of this map and just wander off and do there own thing rather than support the CA & DD that enter and hold the centre cap. 

It makes a lot of players, mostly BBs, look really bad. There is enough cover, and yes they will probably die violently in the first 10 minutes, but it's frantic and a lot of fun. Probably my favourite mode thinking about it. 

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
692 posts
10,565 battles

Got TotD epi-centre twice last night. Maybe WG have decided to have some fun with us! :etc_red_button:

[JRM]
Players
662 posts
10,944 battles

Depends what map you are talking about. I dont like the one on Desert map. The one on low tier map is OK.

Players
152 posts
4,302 battles

Epicenter is an epic game mode which gets ruined by every camping and coward idiot in the game.

Its natural to get rekt or not like it when you or your team does not know how to play this mode.

Players
1,320 posts
7,885 battles

It's quite a fun mode: low tier game play with higher tier ships - but the fact that it turns up randomly throws up ship matches you don't always want. Krasny Krym in a Tier VII epi game. Mmm, nice. 

Players
597 posts
5,823 battles
On 09/08/2018 at 12:18 AM, Negativvv said:

As long as both teams don't full lol camp and both enter the cap circles with the bulk of their forces then the caps will tick slowly or not at all and the points movement will be from losses.

WoT was fun until it became a mad rush to end the game in as short a time as possible, 5 and 6 minute games were becoming far too frequent. WoWs was somewhat more sedate and enjoyable.

I really don't want to play a mode where everyone has to rush into the same circles for it to work(?) as being fun.

I'd still be playing WoT if I wanted that sort of stupid.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,858 posts
10,066 battles
8 minutes ago, DB2212 said:

WoT was fun until it became a mad rush to end the game in as short a time as possible, 5 and 6 minute games were becoming far too frequent. WoWs was somewhat more sedate and enjoyable.

I really don't want to play a mode where everyone has to rush into the same circles for it to work(?) as being fun.

I'd still be playing WoT if I wanted that sort of stupid.

That's the thing though, you don't have to.

In fact it's most sensible you don't and instead slowly work yourself through the enemy team to erode their ability to put pressure on, much like peeling an onion: if you just smash that thing, all you end up is crying on the floor.

A single DD to contest/block the inner circle is all that it takes and those ships have the concealment to do that in relative safety, plus every map in the Epicenter mode pool has convenient islands to sit behind where it's next to impossible to get hit even if spotted by radar or whatnot. At this point the only option for the enemy to get rid of the DD blocking the inner circle would be to rush it, which means they have to run the gauntlet of said DD's entire team (hopefully) taking shots as they try (that's the peeling part of the onion) or break the ships that are fighting around the circles to loop around and get firing angles into the circle that was previously safe and under control, a.k.a. winning map control.

Of course, if your team doesn't have a DD doing his part then you're a bit screwed, but that also be true for any other game mode then.

Players
597 posts
5,823 battles
7 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

That's the thing though, you don't have to.

In fact it's most sensible you don't and instead slowly work yourself through the enemy team to erode their ability to put pressure on, much like peeling an onion: if you just smash that thing, all you end up is crying on the floor.

A single DD to contest/block the inner circle is all that it takes and those ships have the concealment to do that in relative safety, plus every map in the Epicenter mode pool has convenient islands to sit behind where it's next to impossible to get hit even if spotted by radar or whatnot. At this point the only option for the enemy to get rid of the DD blocking the inner circle would be to rush it, which means they have to run the gauntlet of said DD's entire team (hopefully) taking shots as they try (that's the peeling part of the onion) or break the ships that are fighting around the circles to loop around and get firing angles into the circle that was previously safe and under control, a.k.a. winning map control.

Of course, if your team doesn't have a DD doing his part then you're a bit screwed, but that also be true for any other game mode then.

You are most probably correct, but it doesn't mean folk like the mode. It's pish and not everyone wants to play it.

Beta Tester
3,962 posts
14,653 battles
On 10.8.2018 at 9:43 AM, invicta2012 said:

Krasny Krym in a Tier VII epi game. Mmm, nice.

As long as there's no CV to take my Crispy Creme out of the game, I *LOVE* finding me a nice little island and spam HE at all the people I can see and target... Crispy Creme is extremely underrated.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
878 posts
6,971 battles

I won Krispy Kreme in a container a few weeks ago, What's not to like about all those 130mm guns!

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
2,863 posts
6,680 battles

I don't actually mind Epi mode as such, although it's a lot more fun at tiers where there isn't any radar.

What I do object to (mainly at higher tiers) is whiny camping BBs pi$$ing and moaning because you don't drive your DD straight into the middle zone, to get zapped by radar and deleted in seconds.

I had a classic case last night: some colossal cockwomble was moaning at me (and the other DD) for almost the entire game, whilst camping at the back and farming damage, rather than trying to knock out the radars (and tank damage) that would have allowed us to make a difference. Zero moaning directed at the Tirpitz that was cowering behind an island in the top left corner for almost the entire battle, of course! I'm not a great DD player at the best of times, but even I know not to suicide into open water covered by radars! </bad-tempered rant>

The problem with this mode is that, as others have said, a lot of people in randoms don't know what they should be doing, and if the team doesn't coordinate sensibly and do their jobs (DDs cap/spot, cruisers radar/kill DDs, BBs tank, and so on) the negative effects are more marked than in other modes - where there is slightly more slack for stupidity (often committed by me)...

[CR33D]
Players
3,083 posts
15,802 battles
On 7.8.2018 at 7:25 PM, The_Dunk_Squad said:

I really dislike playing this mode, the maps are too small and there's way too many radars per team. It's just claustrophobic and it  either leads to a huge camp fest inside the first ring with anyone going in to cap getting blown apart in a cauldron of fire, or a complete clusterfuck that ends in 3 minutes.

tiers of desert/epicenter mode. worst possible map design/game mode combination ever. other than this one, dont thik epicenter is that bad.