You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Amaterasu_Regale

Can we get an option to opt out of Epicenter?

44 comments in this topic

Players
194 posts
2,239 battles

I really dislike playing this mode, the maps are too small and there's way too many radars per team. It's just claustrophobic and it  either leads to a huge camp fest inside the first ring with anyone going in to cap getting blown apart in a cauldron of fire, or a complete clusterfuck that ends in 3 minutes.

• Cool 8
  • Boring 2

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
1,057 posts
8,443 battles

I like it. Anything that brings ships closer together is a good thing IMO. My experience is also very different from yours, in that you can have very tense and exciting battles in Epicenter.

Also I think allowing the playerbase to 'opt out' is divisive and will lead to massive wait times in the queue.

• Cool 8

Beta Tester
4,091 posts
16,571 battles

I, too, do hate Epeencenter Mode, as it is just utterly dumb and makes dumb players play even dumber, but...

57 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

...allowing the playerbase to 'opt out' is...

...even more dumb. You can't allow them to "opt out" of only one mode. And allowing them to opt out of any mode they don't like would really mean long waiting times in the MM.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
1,057 posts
8,443 battles

Standard battle is the one I hate. Encourages potatoes to disperse around the maps instead of fighting for positions or objectives.

• Cool 9

Players
521 posts
9,670 battles
1 minute ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Standard battle is the one I hate. Encourages potatoes to disperse around the maps instead of fighting for positions or objectives.

I agree, I've had much more fun and exciting Epicenter games than 90% of Standard battle games which just turn into campsites. :fish_sleep:

• Cool 4

[OGHF]
Players
882 posts
14,286 battles

Love epicentre, but hate players that just can not grasp the simple  fundamental objective of this map and just wander off and do there own thing rather than support the CA & DD that enter and hold the centre cap. 

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
787 posts
4,489 battles

I find the maps really meh at best. But I really starting to like Epicenter as of recently. It feels refreshing after playing an amount of the other standard game modes. And it forces people to play for the objectives more so that passive gameplay ain't that rewarding. 

Players
60 posts
20,115 battles

I always tell the team that there is a reason why it is called epiCENTER and not epiMAPBOARDER :)

Good game mode!

• Funny 1

Players
643 posts
6,628 battles
46 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

Love epicentre, but hate players that just can not grasp the simple  fundamental objective of this map and just wander off and do there own thing rather than support the CA & DD that enter and hold the centre cap. 

Do they not grasp the fundamental objective or do they just hate the mode they're forced to play?
I yolo'd it anytime I saw it, and I'll yolo it if I play WoWs again.

It's an awful mode, no matter how much anyone tells us how good and fun it is. If folk don't like it, they aren't going to put any effort into playing it.

• Bad 2

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

It's am awful mode. Made worse by wannabe pros who think if you don't rush the epicenter then you'll lose...

As long as some of you stay inside the 3 circles then it's basically a Standard Battle as the points tick so slowly.

• Cool 1

Players
3,283 posts
15,148 battles

IMHO Epicenter mode really needs good teamwork and trust in order to do anything more than simply endure it.

I'd love to see a video of a 12 v 12 Clan battle on Epicenter. I think that you would see it played to it's true potential.

As it is I would rather see it removed from the game entirely. However I respect the fact that for some people (especially those who like hectic, close quarters combat) the Epicenter mode is wonderful.

Players
894 posts
14,361 battles
27 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

As long as some of you stay inside the 3 circles then it's basically a Standard Battle as the points tick so slowly.

They don't tick at all if the inner circle is contested (that equals to contesting all the rings), just go up and down with the ships sunk.

I don't mind epicentre mode, but some maps (Tears of the Desert) that have it aren't that well suited for it. If I could tell one map that doesn't have epicentre ATM but was pretty enjoyable with it, then Warrior's Path: it was one of the best maps to play during the ranked season when the split IJN DDs were introduced, no matter what kind of ship you used. I think bringing it back for, say, T7-8 MM could work and also serve as a learning ground of the high tier maps for people going up the lines.

Salute.

Beta Tester
2,373 posts
6,633 battles
56 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

IMHO Epicenter mode really needs good teamwork and trust in order to do anything more than simply endure it.

I'd love to see a video of a 12 v 12 Clan battle on Epicenter. I think that you would see it played to it's true potential.

:Smile_great: this, for competitive mode it is a good mode, but when it comes to randoms, not so mutch.

I dont think it needs to be removed just used in a right way. :Smile_Default:

Players
2,185 posts

I find Epicentre on Tears pretty annoying as a DD player as I'm usually the only one willing to cap sit while the other DD's selfishly go and farm damage. It's really an irritating game mode at times.

On the occasions that the team actually plays as a team it's fine, but with the usual Random teams it can be thoroughly miserable.

All that said an opt out of any game mode would mean that Epicentre and Standard Battle would basically never happen. 

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
1 hour ago, BeauNidl3 said:

(...)

All that said an opt out of any game mode would mean that Epicentre and Standard Battle would basically never happen. 

Unfortunately you're mistaken about Standard Battles. There is a big population that hates Domination and likes Standard Battles (and would like them even more if caps were removed).

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
706 posts
11,644 battles

Epicentre is great. Park your DD behind an island to block the central cap, go make a cup of tea. Kind of reminds me of B cap in trap. Yawn.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
3 hours ago, Armorin said:

Epicentre is great. Park your DD behind an island to block the central cap, go make a cup of tea. Kind of reminds me of B cap in trap. Yawn.

B cap in Trap? B cap in Trap is exciting. There's a lot going on around it and it's easy to flank so if you get yourself stuck behind that island, you might have a big problem pretty fast.

If you want a comparison to TotD Epicenter, you should bring up the masterpiece of design that is the C cap on Shatter. Somebody needs to block it and the person that does is locked out of 1/3 of the game...

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
2,053 posts
6,930 battles

Epicenter is just disgusting.. for randoms..

I believe that mode is the one which requires the most teamwork.

There can be very different and numerous tactics which can be implemented as a team!

I would like to see that mode added into Clan Battles, as much as I would like to see it removed from random PVP

• Cool 1

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
706 posts
11,644 battles
3 hours ago, eliastion said:

B cap in Trap? B cap in Trap is exciting. There's a lot going on around it and it's easy to flank so if you get yourself stuck behind that island, you might have a big problem pretty fast.

If you want a comparison to TotD Epicenter, you should bring up the masterpiece of design that is the C cap on Shatter. Somebody needs to block it and the person that does is locked out of 1/3 of the game...

B cap on trap can get boring pretty fast if both teams decide to bunch up at the Islands either side of it.

Ok, C cap on shatter definitely trumps anything. It takes brave teamwork and a poor enemy to unlock that one fast. A good example of the brick wall and boulder map design.

Players
194 posts
2,239 battles
14 hours ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

I, too, do hate Epeencenter Mode, as it is just utterly dumb and makes dumb players play even dumber, but...

...even more dumb. You can't allow them to "opt out" of only one mode. And allowing them to opt out of any mode they don't like would really mean long waiting times in the MM.

I'm basing it on the fact that the players who still like Epicenter can play it and those who don't won't get frustrated when they get 3 epicenter games in 10 matches. It's more the fact it leads to really wonky games imo, since a lot of people don't like it and sort of stop caring and just either yolo rush to get on to the next game or end up camping

• Cool 1

[WCWVE]
Players
897 posts
14,431 battles

I think the idea of giving an opt out for Epicentre in Tears of the Desert is actually very unbalancing to the game 

Tears of the Desert and Epicentre should be moved to either team or clan battles only and not included in random battles at all 

• Cool 1

[RO-RN]
Players
572 posts
7,151 battles

no force people to play the objective if they dont they lose. to many cowards sniping from 20km away such a good gameplay.

• Cool 1