Drasnighta

Scharnhorst: Getting the most out of her?

13 comments in this topic

[-RM-]
Players
149 posts
2,259 battles

I bought the Scharnhorst during the recent summer sales, as I really like the Gneisenau and with more guns (abeit with a smaller calibre) and a faster reload, Scharnhorst looked like it would take that fun to a new level.

But I'm finding it a little bit tough with her. For starters, I'm very much torn between using my Bismarck captain (PT, Directional Catapult Fighter, AR, Superintendent, PFT + AFT) or using a concealment captain. When I play the Gneisenau my tactics usually involve supporting a flank push or cruisers/destroyers attempting to capture a CP, damaging ships from range before closing to brawl and make full use of my inaccurate guns later in the game.

However, with the Gneisenau (although obviously with the horrendus dispersion it sometimes took 4-5 salvos) I could punish broadsiding BBs from mid range, whereas with the Scharnhorst's puny guns I'm never scoring more than 7k a volley, and even less when I'm uptiered (lot of non-pens on thicker armor). Even when I want to close and brawl, my pretty big concealement usually means I'm HE spammed to death before I've had the chance to do some serious close-range damage. I've tried using the HE on bowtanking/angled battleships, but the HE itself is extraordinarily weak as well, with most volleys only yielding 1-2k damage.

Don't get me wrong, I've had some great games in this boat. But I've not been particularly consistent and it's very frustrating at times when you feel powerless to punish players making huge mistakes.

Should I be using concealment or sticking with the secondary build? I currently have 8km range secondaries, which is pretty nice actually. And what tactics should I be employing? Should I be more patient and hang back more, or be ditching the secondaries and going down the stealth route?

Cheers guys.

[CATS]
Players
15,900 posts
11,170 battles

She is good for secondary or survival build.

Focus on cruisers, that is her job.

Do not rush in, wait for an opening where you face only few enemies and have support to close in.

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,396 posts
5,436 battles

With PFT I assume you are meaning BFT (basic firing training)? I would not pick directional center, it is not that useful compared to PM for a 1 point skill. Also IMO a secondary build kind of needs manual secondaries to reliably apply damage.

With that being said the Scharnhorst basically benefit from every german BB captain build and most cruiser builds. A core secondary build might look something like this with your own option of either SI or BFT (both are good, but I prefer the extra heal) http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000000010000001001000100019.

Or just go the standard tank stealth build that works on every BB: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000100010100001000100000119

As for playstyle, well it plays like a big bulky cruiser and is most comfortable at mid-close range. Overangle and try to bait shots at your broadside since most BB's you face can and will punch through your nose. Honestly this video explains most of it and is still relevant: 

• Cool 2

[CORNG]
Players
763 posts
12,882 battles

Both is possible. I know guys who use stealth builds and they work. On most BBs i use stealth builds too.  Only on Bismarck (seldom played) and Scharnhorst  i use the same full sec build Captain. Just because its funny and something different. Its a 19 Point with manual Secs and  AFT. 

Scharnhorst little Caliber makes her special. I try to avoid HE. You have fast turning Guns, switch  targets instead. I prefer to punish broadside cruisers first.. Scharn is a good cruiser Killer. 

Scharn is a good Brawler,   but that dont mean you can yolo in from beginning. Your time will come in mid and lategame.  In the beginning play it as a big cruiser with heal and try to get rid  of  HE spammers and DDs.   

Is a sec build better?  I dont think. But its fun. :-)

• Cool 2

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,396 posts
5,436 battles
21 minutes ago, belalugosisdead said:

Is a sec build better?  I dont think. But its fun. :-)

This pretty much for every secondary build.

However in Operations secondary builds are arguably equally powerful or even more powerful than stealth tank builds. Reasoning behind this is since bots tend to rush you and sometimes spawn close you don't have to spend time on proper positioning like in a random game, they come to you. And since there is a high number of targets avaliable being able to effectively damage and even kill 2 targets at the same time is sometimes invaluable. 

I run secondary Scharnhorst in the current operation and it works like a charm. 

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles

To get the most out of her you must use every tool in your arsenal. Your punchy and rapid fire guns, your excellent armour, your torps, and last but no means least, your excellent mobility.

EDIT: And of course the outstanding secondaries.

Beta Tester
36 posts
3,047 battles

I use a secondary build and play aggressively in her, I have the same 8km secondaries you mention and they are really useful.

Top tier you are a complete bully, bottom tier I agree the HE spam is a real issue, below is how I like to play it not an exceptional game but a good aggressive cap push.

As tempting as it is to switch to HE stick with the AP in most situations and you will generally land more damage IMHO.

https://replayswows.com/replay/28134#stats

[WASP_]
Players
184 posts

Love this ship but have a terrible win rate in her (40%) I mostly play her like a heavy cruiser but generally lose more than I win. Some days I struggle even to get my daily win in her. However I enjoy my time in her nonetheless.

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles
19 minutes ago, HMS_Argosax said:

Those guns are hard to get used to :(

That 20 second base reload makes them very forgiving, means you can throw a lot of lead around.

EDIT: Also, don't care what you may or may not have heard elsewhere do not fire HE as her HE shells are extremely anemic.

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles
19 minutes ago, HMS_Argosax said:

You just need to play a lot of Graf Spee and you'll be super happy about having a ship that gets a third turret and reliable armour.

[HOUSE]
Players
237 posts
4,806 battles
On 2018-08-25 at 6:53 PM, HMS_Argosax said:

Tee guns are built for AP, tried experimenting with HE to compare to my other T7 BB, the Duke of York and you get more damage against angled targets with AP as well, just aim for superstructure and the numbers will start add up. 

I see the Scharnhorst like the perfect captain trainer for both the German BB and CA lines, have mostly run with my Secondary spec captain but it is very situational. Lately I have used my Hipper/Roon captain in her for training and found that the concealment captain to work a tad better since I play her more like a CA than BB and try to get in close to maximise the number of shells hitting the target and penetrate. 

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles
4 hours ago, affie said:

Tee guns are built for AP, tried experimenting with HE to compare to my other T7 BB, the Duke of York and you get more damage against angled targets with AP as well, just aim for superstructure and the numbers will start add up. 

This is true for pretty much all German BB, because German HE values across the board are bad. Thus, it obviously cannot compare to the DoY (or KGV). The main reason Scharnhorst would ever load HE is not that the HE is so good. It's that the caliber is so low, having the AP bounce happens more often and against angled targets, over time HE is better than farming bounces and overpens on the superstructure.