hedgehog_s

Ships to keep or ships that are just slightly OP ??

19 comments in this topic

[-NO-]
Players
26 posts
4,218 battles

Hi all,

Im new to WoW and compared to WoT I find it much more "friendly" - Im having good results with guns, bad with torps but I am wondering what ships are "known" to be keepers or slightly OP. Ive ket the Orlan from Tier 1, I love the wickes and most of the battleships except their tortoise speed. I hate the Friant and Caledon - am I in the right ballpark with these choices or am I mad ?? I have tier 4 max at the moment and intend to research every ship as I go.

Thanks

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,223 posts
5,868 battles

I'll be ignoring ships from tier 8 and up since you're a beginner, but for me personally the non premium/non event ships that I consider to be really good are:

• Clemson = The little monster that can fire 6 guns at a target at tier 4 can outgun just about anything it meets, plus it has preferential matchmaking.
  • Kongo = A fast battlecruiser with massive range for its tier and decent accuracy.
  • Myoko = A heavy hitting cruiser with quite decent armor actually
  • Mahan = An all around good gunboat

Also yeah, I suggest you steer clear of any british ships until you gather some more battles. Their cruisers are a pain in the butt to learn, so they aren't really beginner friendly, while their battleships tend to teach you the wrong playstyle if you choose them as your first full line.

[CATS]
Players
13,610 posts
10,385 battles
  • Keep ships you like
  • Ships below Tier V usually do not count for missions
  • For Tier V upwards it is good to have a BB, a ship that is good at starting fires, a ship with fast firing guns, a torpedoboat and a CV
  • Cool 2

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
152 posts
4,301 battles

Ijn dd main line: Sold everything on my way to Tier 10 Shimakaze. That doesnt mean they are bad though.
Ijn dd alt line:Kept t7 Shiratsuyu,t8 Akizuki and will also keep tier 10 Harugumo.
usn dd line: Keep t8 Benson, t9 Fletcher, t10 Gearing.
IJN bb: Tier 5 Kongo (havent played more ships there)
German bb: T5 Konig, t8 bismarck. Will also keep the t10 Kurfurst.
PA dd line: t4 is a beast.I am currently at t5.
German dd: t4 is also a beast.Currently on t5.
Got the arp Takao (a sligtly worse premium atago)  from an event so i am currently working on ijn cruisers also. Will probly only keep the t10 zao.

usn bb:will keep t8 North Carolina and t10 montana.Although i am still at tier 4 ;P

As a rule of thumb, if you are competitive, planning to do Ranked and Clan battles keep all t8 and t10s.
If you are casually playing for fun keep whatever makes you happy and you perform well.

Ijn= japanese
usn=american
pa=Pan asia

[H_FAN]
Players
1,861 posts
20,796 battles

First different players perform well in different ships. Try everything yourself but avoid the more difficult lines at the start like RN cruisers and perhaps PA DDs as they can not hit other DDs with their torps.

Second some ships are very good if played well (high skill ceiling) and some are very good with a high end captain.

I have all lines at T10 apart from CVs and have kept every ship. I have most of the premiums also.

But in the silver lines if you have a more gaming perspective it is always nice to have some ships on all tiers, even lower tiers to relax.

These ships I consider must have:

T2, Umikaze DD and Chikuma Cruiser (Best cruiser)

T3, Nassau has now been nerfed, but I think RN BB Bellerophon and Nassau, Cruisers St Louis is fun and Bogatyr the best crusier but only with a high end captain and upgraded guns.

T4 Orion prenerf was very strong, I like Wyoming , Crusiers French Duguay Troin is very good, Kuma I like, DDs both Clemson, Isokaze and Izyaslav are fun to play

T5 König and Iron Duke, Cruisers are amixed bag and have very different playstyles, DDs nothing special nowadays

Higher up the lines diversifies more and its up to you what lines you pursuit, but to reach T5 goes prettty quickly so here the recommendation is to try all.

Port slots are often on discount and the ships are cheap so it is more a captain issue but up to T5 it does not matter so much if you have a low level captain, it is say from T6 and above this is really start to be important, of course to have CE on low level destroyers is nice, but most players do not have them except players like me.

But even if you sell most ships as you climb try to have some ships at all tiers, especially at mid tiers so that you can play operations and ranked (if they drop to lower tiers again). 

[BOAT]
Players
104 posts
1,939 battles

Well, I've not played all the tech trees/lines in the game, but I can recommend some keepers based on the ones that I have played.

USA: I've kept the New Mexico at T6, great ship (aside from the speed) in my opinion. I'd also recommend keeping the Clemson at T4.

IJN: Kongo (T5) was a fun ship to play and was greatly refreshing from the ponderous Myogi at T4 (IJN BBs was my first line - I joined the game to play the Yamato). I'd also recommend the Izokaze (T4 DD) as a potential keeper.

KM: I liked the T-22 and its predecessor the T-170, but my favourite has been the Gaede (T6) so far which I will definitely keep. If you like punishing cruisers with unexpected citadels from close range, then I'd definitely recommend the Gaede, though it's a tricky ship to master (and I don't claim to have mastered it). Konig is a solid keeper at T5 and I also kept the T7 BB Gneisenau until I purchased the Scharnhorst, as its speed + torpedoes is a very fun combination in a battleship.

RN: After T6 the RN cruisers are all pretty fun (short term pain through the lower tiers, but long term gain), but the only battleship I'd currently recommend keeping is the King George V at T7 - mainly because I love the history attached with this ship, but if you ignore the current "All RN BBs must fire HE" trend you'll find its AP can be surprisingly devastating.

MN: I've not played far in the MN BB line, but I'm currently hating every moment of it. However, I've enjoyed the cruiser line, especially the Emile Bertin at T5 and the Algerie at T7, both of which I will keep/have kept (but since you dislike the Friant, you probably won't like the Emile).

[UNICS]
Players
324 posts
4,515 battles

Any ship may be OP if you`re good with it.

There are only few of those that are "more demanding" (garbage).

If you`re good with guns then i can recommend you the US BB (Battleship), CA (Heavy Cruiser - ending with De Moines), or DD (Destroyer) lines. US DD`s do not really rely on torpedoes for damage but torpedoes differentiate good and master players. US guns in general rely heavily on skill, due to slow shells, but they got superior DPM in return, and later (T8+) also improved (reduced) auto-ricochet angles.

I also advise checking out this guide on aiming:

[SM0KE]
Players
1,550 posts
5,035 battles
4 hours ago, hedgehog_s said:

And if I were to ask for one noob friendly premium ?? The Nelson ??

I might have a look at Giulio Cesare; it's rather good (I've seen it suggested that it's a bit OP even): http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Giulio_Cesare

I don't like BBs that much (brawlers excepted), but this one is quite fun - somewhat less ponderous than many of the others.

• Cool 1

Players
257 posts
5,758 battles
9 hours ago, hedgehog_s said:

Nelson can get punished real heavily if you aren't angled correctly, she also suffers from HE pen a lot.  If you are looking for a Tier 7 prem boat you can't go wrong with Scharnhorst , fast reload (for a BB), torps, good armor and good speed make for a fun experience.  Alternatively Giulio Cesare as Verblonde mentions would be a good choice.

Honestly though if you've only played up to tier 4 I would play on a bit more and see how you find the game, the next couple of tiers have pretty crap matchmaking although there are some strong ships in there (mainly looking at Fuso).  

[AS13]
Players
1,143 posts
1,556 battles
14 hours ago, hedgehog_s said:

In the Nelson, which is T7, you get sometimes uptiered... often it is tier 9.

Must say I have seen Nelson quite a few times, because you can alos get downtiered (to T5...).

But never had much trouble exterminating it... 

It's not the ship that is the problem, but if you play that as a 'N00b' you will meet players that are NOT N00bs.... 

Do you know what premiums are for? It is not like WoT, they are not instantly better.

And you sure cannot buy a T8 and expect to go around cleaning up in lower tiers. 

First find what you like, then, if you want a premium, buy one that is similar.

For example, I like Royal Navy cruisers and BBs. I bought Hood (T7).

I get matches between T5 (rare) and T9 (rare). usually T8 (90%).

But that's OK since I have advanced to T6 anyway. 

On premiums, you can train captains, collect free XP, and such stuff. 

I chose a T7 because that also has access to 'operations'. 

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles
On 7.8.2018 at 7:32 PM, Drasnighta said:

IJN: Kongo (T5) was a fun ship to play and was greatly refreshing from the ponderous Myogi at T4 (IJN BBs was my first line - I joined the game to play the Yamato). I'd also recommend the Izokaze (T4 DD) as a potential keeper.

I played IJN BBs as my first line and Myogi seemed pretty ok compared to Kawachi. It wasn't very good though (nor was I, given I was new). Recently rebought it, played a bit before buff, played after buff. Frankly, it may have only 6 guns, but with the accuracy buff, it certainly is no longer bad. It hits quite reliably now (and thus actually becomes a threat to other ships) and due to gun caliber basically gives either overpens or a citadel. And citadels deal 10k damage, so, half a cruiser. I'll be keeping it.

[PST]
Alpha Tester
472 posts
4,973 battles

ships of silver i still keep is

BB

Fuso

Amagi

Yamato

CA/CL

Zao

DD

Benson

Flecher

Shimakaze

the rest is premium ships.

and wont be in this list. 

[-NO-]
Players
26 posts
4,218 battles

Got a 20% coupon so bought the Tier 7 Nueve de Julio - supposed to have high skill cap so probably a bad decision EXCEPT this thing is a BEAST. Love it !!

Thanks for all your replies guys

[SM0KE]
Players
1,550 posts
5,035 battles
51 minutes ago, hedgehog_s said:

Got a 20% coupon so bought the Tier 7 Nueve de Julio - supposed to have high skill cap so probably a bad decision EXCEPT this thing is a BEAST. Love it !!

Thanks for all your replies guys

That also has the merit of gifting you a Boise once you've ground enough xp in her - the latter is a useful trainer for US captains...

[PST]
Alpha Tester
472 posts
4,973 battles

seems lots of people like that ship. but the best part imoho is that you get 2 ships for one. and you can use one of them for captain training

i got to many ships so i dont want to buy more unless i get a ship that just say click in my brain and i can feel its easy for me to game with.

Players
860 posts
7,696 battles

Friant can be absolutely brutal but you need a lot of captain skills - PT, EM, BFT, CE and ideally also AR and DE, possible IFHE.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/masteryourcommanders/

But TWELVE TORPS! You can basically build an Aigle captain and use him on both ships, they have the same guns, only Friant has more. Don't bother with AFT as you rarely hit anything at those ranges anyway.

Even more important though is some really good positioning as it has no armor at all. The trick is to basically go where the enemy BB's guns are not pointing (because, like, he's fighting another BB) so you can spam HE in crosswise from the side. Possibly across an island. This is one of the standard playstyles for any long range HE spammer all the way to the top tier, just the ranges get longer.

Tenryu is an easier ship to play even though it does not benefit from BFT and has fewer guns, but once you have the basic 10pt cruiser captain (PT - AR - DE - CE) it is a potentially very brutal sealclubber.

A few basic tips on successful stealth torpedo attacks: 1) don't necessarily launch at the white line - launch (also) where you think a likely course or speed change may take the target. 2) If you launch while spotted, your torps are also spotted from launch and easy to evade. 3) Should enemy planes be overhead near you or the target, they might also spot your torps early.

If you can't stealth torp for lack of range, you can only launch "around" islands or Yolo-Torp, i.e. Banzai-charge the target in hopes he misses his shots and maybe can't swing his guns around fast enough before you are in range.

The Tier II through IV German destroyers are an absolute must, with their aggressive forward torpedo launchers. With a 10-pt captain, they can stealth-torp, too.

[-NO-]
Players
26 posts
4,218 battles

Well so far from Tier 1 I have kept the Orlan, nothing from Tiers 2 and 3, but from Tier 4 the Clemson - my god that thing is brutal :-)

• Funny 1

Players
860 posts
7,696 battles

OK I'd like to add a few more:

Svietlana - I liked here a lot more than the Tier II and III Russian cruisers and premium cruisers in the usual many-many-guns-no-torps style. For one, because she has torps and many many guns. A very dangerous ship if you play it right.

Phoenix - also very good, not much weaker than Omaha but she gets overshadowed by the latter because they look and play somewhat similar. St. Louis is overrated these days, from the way back when she was basically an Ersatz-Battleship, but nowadays you can pen and citadel her to your heart's content and she is just so slow. Phoenix is just a so much more active ship, even though of course demanding a completely different play style.

Shenyang - potentially an even more brutal sealclubber than Clemson, though for different reasons. Mainly the short duration smoke with the short cooldown and the extra charge. With the right captain skills and flags, you can sit in smoke almost the whole game. Deep water torps have very good concealment, so targets potentially spot them very late. Still not a personal favourite of mine because for one, sitting in smoke and dakkadakkaring can get old, and also I feel castrated without torps that can hit other DDs. I've gone off the whole Pan-Asian line a bit for that reason.

Karlsruhe - I still have mixed feelings. She used to be super bad, was buffed again and again and again and now she's tolerable. The first ship to get the vaunted "German hydro" which is significantly longer range than other nations. But she is just so slow and that stops her from being a real effective counter against sealclubbers in Isokaze etc. even with a very good captain.

Caledon, Danae, even Emerald. Call me a masochist but I like Emerald. Because I like hunting DDs. It's a cruiser with torps and smoke and really really good AP, ferchrissake. Undergunned but fun.

Low Tier Premiums:

Vampire - I would probably not go so far as to recommend buying her (although she's cheap) but I got her from that series of challenges or whatever that was, basically without trying, and it is a fun little ship. Not easy to play, not really OP but it's got something, I don't know.

König Albert - slightly overpowered. It's no Nikolai but it is a very slightly nerfed Kaiser at Tier 3. Now that they've nerfed Nassau and Orion, she's the best low tier BB imho. At any rate, the best at T3.

Yubari - not many guns but they are about the most accurate in the game. It will benefit your aiming skills to actually hit what you wanted to hit. Also no armor, so she can teach you not to give broadside long before you reach Pensacola. Especially since there is an extra temptation - she has fairly decent torps but they can only be fired when giving full broadside... one of the few premiums I will always recommend without hesitation.

Ishizushi - many people think she is laughably bad but what you need to realize is this is not a battleship. She is the first, lowest-tier battlecruiser you get in the game. I suspect you need to play her like one, meaning specifically as a fast anti-cruiser ship, though being such a super bad player, I have not really been able to make it work so far. Haven't tried a lot either, though. But I've been victimized by one.