You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Atorpad

Shell weight

6 comments in this topic

Question

[ARYA]
Players
440 posts
9,135 battles

Hi 

Does shell wieght influence any game mechanics? how?!

5 answers to this question

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,442 posts
6,517 battles

The heavier the shells, the less speed they lose mid flight.

Compare Des moines to other cruisers for example. Most have the same caliber guns and a relatively similar HE initial shell velocity, but on the DM the shells are considered to be really slow.

• Cool 2

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,742 battles

Yes. Heavier shells loose less speed on higher distances and have better penetration power on long range.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
432 posts
7,941 battles
7 hours ago, domen3 said:

The heavier the shells, the less speed they lose mid flight.

Compare Des moines to Henry IV. Both have the same caliber guns and a similar HE initial shell velocity, but on the DM the shells are considered to be really slow.

Uh, Des Moines has 203mm guns and Henri has 240mm guns? They are nothing alike.

Did you mean to compare DM to Zao? Both are 203mm calibre rifles but where DM fires a 118kg HE shell the Zao fires a 155kg HE shell (Henri by comparison fires a huge 220kg shell, almost double DMs).

Shell weight affects ballistics in flight and shell penetration, but you can't base anything on shell weight alone, the ballistics of the rifle firing the shell as well as hidden stats like sigma and krupp alter their performance to suit WGs intentions.

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,442 posts
6,517 battles
4 hours ago, Benser said:

Uh, Des Moines has 203mm guns and Henri has 240mm guns? They are nothing alike.

Did you mean to compare DM to Zao? Both are 203mm calibre rifles but where DM fires a 118kg HE shell the Zao fires a 155kg HE shell (Henri by comparison fires a huge 220kg shell, almost double DMs).

Shell weight affects ballistics in flight and shell penetration, but you can't base anything on shell weight alone, the ballistics of the rifle firing the shell as well as hidden stats like sigma and krupp alter their performance to suit WGs intentions.

Damn I'm so stupid....what came over my head lol?...Honestly I don't even know which ship I meant...maybe it was the hindy or the zao yes, my bad

[BGNAV]
Players
264 posts
3,319 battles

This makes for a short answer: Yes but it doesn't matter.

In this game everything is made to be equal to it's counterparts with slight touches here and there so it doesn't feel like everything is the same ship. Even if some ship was designed and proved to be better in reality here it will be either trimmed down or moved to higher tier.