Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
loppantorkel

New SSD

18 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Players
3,226 posts
12,644 battles

So, wows was starting to crash a bit too often. Blue Screen and complete restarts.. PC is old so I can't blame WG for all I think. Checked RAM - no faults, GPU is fairly new so I don't think that's causing any issues. SSD and HDD seems fine too, but the HDD on D: was very slow when doing chdsk. It's been around for 8 years and I think it might be time to at least semi-retire it.

I went ahead and bought a new SSD and my plan is to keep things as simple as possible. Old SSD on C: will remain and so will win 7 on it. I got plenty of steam games on D: that still are working fine. Same with E:, plus a backup on F:. Plenty of unused storage for reasons beyond me that happened 8 years ago. My plan is to add the new SSD and install Wows on it and perhaps some other games that would benefit from better disk speed, while trying not to muck things up too much. Can I add it as an G: drive and be fine with it? Are they serial linked and the fastest HD should be as close to C: as possible? Will that cause registry issues then? Will Wows handle being installed on another HD without registry issues? Am I missing something??

Thanks for any help.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,718 posts
9,928 battles

Mechanical harddrives should last for way longer than ~8 years. I know the one in my PC I'm using as mainstorage for games and stuff still is still kicking around without any issues and that one's just as old.

Did you make sure to regularily defragment it? Because not doing that can have a very noticable impact on its performance as time accumulates. If you haven't, do it. At best run a proper disc cleaner (Wise Disc Cleaner is a pretty good free utility).

• Cool 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
2,669 posts

You could even mount it like a directory on the C:\ drive.

https://www.howtogeek.com/98195/how-to-mount-a-hard-drive-as-a-folder-on-your-windows-pc/

WoWs should be playable no matter the drive letter. There should be no registry issues if you perform a clean install.

Each drive is working for itself within its specified limits. It doesn't matter in which order you name or mount them (unless you are building a RAID).

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
3,226 posts
12,644 battles

I'll look into these options. Thanks.

edit: Only D: is fragmented 1%, rest was 0%, so I doubt that's the issue.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,243 posts
14,455 battles
2 hours ago, Aotearas said:

Mechanical harddrives should last for way longer than ~8 years.

"Should" is the operative word in that sentence. I've had one quit on me after only 3 years of service.

It's the only HDD that ever failed on me however. I still have one installed in my PC that is approaching 6 years and it has never once complained about anything.

As for the original question, as the post above says, as long as you perform a clean install there shouldn't be any issues.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
2,669 posts
24 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

:cap_hmm: 'Clean install'?

Uninstall game from old drive.

Install game on new drive.

[UNICS]
Players
3,226 posts
12,644 battles
1 hour ago, Egoleter said:

Uninstall game from old drive.

Install game on new drive.

Yea, I'll try push the uninstall button and then the install button as well as I can. Your insistence on me 'performing' made me unsure what you meant    :crab:

I'm more concerned the process isn't as clean as it should be.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
2,669 posts
1 hour ago, loppantorkel said:

I'm more concerned the process isn't as clean as it should be.

I am not aware of any complications. The few registration keys, if they remain after the uninstallation, will just be rewritten by the new installation with their now proper values.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
3,226 posts
12,644 battles
21 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

I am not aware of any complications. The few registration keys, if they remain after the uninstallation, will just be rewritten by the new installation with their now proper values.

Sounds good.

Good news is that the motherboard seems capable of having plenty of harddrives. Bad news is that I'm not sure that the front panel is meant to be removed.

..and the other point of entry looks messy :Smile_sceptic:

IMG_0692.thumb.jpg.09fc22352c3f6d004ce35cc07f1ddb6a.jpg

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,243 posts
14,455 battles
22 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

*ridiculous mess of cables*

breath-in-boi-27541472.png

• Funny 1

[UNICS]
Players
3,226 posts
12,644 battles

I'm making progress through some youtube vids too :)

edit: I should be able to get it out the front... tough to see anything with all the cables though.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
2,669 posts

Oh hell...

You need some serious help with that cable management. Maybe get yourself a new case that help in that regard.

At least the amount of dust is far less then what I am used to see in the PCs from my customers, friends, and family. :Smile_great:

[UNICS]
Players
3,226 posts
12,644 battles
4 hours ago, Egoleter said:

Oh hell...

You need some serious help with that cable management. Maybe get yourself a new case that help in that regard.

At least the amount of dust is far less then what I am used to see in the PCs from my customers, friends, and family. :Smile_great:

Hey, this was put together by a 'professional'. ...and I did vacuum it before taking the photo :Smile_honoring:

I get why cable management is a somewhat good idea though. Just not worth redoing this now.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
2,669 posts
1 hour ago, loppantorkel said:

and I did vacuum it before taking the photo :Smile_honoring:

:cap_fainting:

Please... don't use a vacuum cleaner to remove the dust from your PC. I know it is often propagated as a good way to clean one but it is not. The suction power a vacuum cleaner can create is strong enough to damage your mainboard or the internals of the PSU. I have seen way to many computers killed because someone thought a vacuum cleaner would be a good and fast way to remove the dust.

Even if it is more tedious, use an anti-static air spray or a soft brush instead.

[UNICS]
Players
3,226 posts
12,644 battles
On 8/7/2018 at 10:45 PM, Egoleter said:

:cap_fainting:

Please... don't use a vacuum cleaner to remove the dust from your PC. I know it is often propagated as a good way to clean one but it is not. The suction power a vacuum cleaner can create is strong enough to damage your mainboard or the internals of the PSU. I have seen way to many computers killed because someone thought a vacuum cleaner would be a good and fast way to remove the dust.

Even if it is more tedious, use an anti-static air spray or a soft brush instead.

It's well aware I'm just waiting for a good reason to replace it. Good advice still.

I've got the new SSD installed and it seems to be working as intended. 500GB and I'm wondering if it's not best to move win 7 over to the new disc as well, and wipe the old 128GB.

[UNICS]
Players
3,226 posts
12,644 battles

Yes, I'm now running two operating systems on one PC. Double win 7 superbuild  :cap_cool:

Now, what would happen if I installed another copy of WoWs on a totally separate drive?

Win 7 on C: . Wows on D:

Win on H: + possibly Wows on H:

?

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
2,669 posts

As you boot both systems seperatly and from different drives, they should not be in conflict with each other if that is what you are asking. Both installations with their respective WoWs client should run without issue.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this