Sign in to follow this  
howardxu_23

Is there really some form of APHE for RN BBs?

7 comments in this topic

Players
399 posts
857 battles

Is there a link between in game boosted RN bb HE and real life RN BB shells? Just wondering.(totally not because I got all of my aa guns obliterated from a single volley of HE from ome of them)

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,232 posts
3,385 battles
34 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

Is there a link between in game boosted RN bb HE and real life RN BB shells? Just wondering.(totally not because I got all of my aa guns obliterated from a single volley of HE from ome of them)

RN HE shells have had very high explosive filler content in percentage compared to other nations, which is why they have high fire chance and damage. As to why do they have high pen... nobody actually knows.

• Cool 1

Players
399 posts
857 battles
22 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

RN HE shells have had very high explosive filler content in percentage compared to other nations, which is why they have high fire chance and damage. As to why do they have high pen... nobody actually knows.

Are they any heavier or have a ap cap/some form of improved delayed fuse? Not sure where to find the information tbh.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,836 posts
4,219 battles

I don't think the RN HE gimmick is related to specifics of WWII shell design, but I believe it is a thematic nod to RN WWI gunnery practice.

In WWI they did have CPC (common pointed capped) shells for guns up to 13.5" which had a very large lyddite explosive filler, hard noses and base fuses: basically they acted as SAP. These shells had 50kg of explosive filler. Yes, that is a lot. US 14" common (HE) shells of the same period had <40kg. German 30cm HE had 26kg. Actual full on British Common/HE shells for 13.5" guns had 80kg of explosive filler (!). In other words, RN SAP in WWI had more explosive than everybody else's full HE, and their actual HE had twice as much. Lyddite itself was, as well as being high explosive, quite toxic.

It fit into a doctrine of "beating down" enemy ships. Basically, they worked out AP of the era was unreliable at long range and would shatter, but a ship kept under fire struggled to fight back accurately. So they were deliberately planning to open engagements at long range with high volume of fire with SAP/CPC shells to cause havoc with upperworks, command and fire control up to and including killing crew with the aforementioned toxic fumes from lyddite exploding shells.

This really stopped by the end of WWI when they designed better straight AP shells, so as I said the flavour makes no sense in a WWII context.

• Cool 2

Players
399 posts
857 battles

So tdlr, for WWl era ships in wow, it makes some sense, anything later it doesn’t, assuming they phase out its production. That said did they still have it available? even a toned down version of it? I presume it’s the case in terms of hood, since it did blow up from a magazine detonation. Sorry if I got it wrong, I cannot find any reliable info on what shells the hood was carrying at that time.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,836 posts
4,219 battles

I don't know how much CPC the RN had lying around for their 15" ships by WWII, if they carried it at all, or whether this had anything to do with Hood's loss. Magazine explosions are the cordite used to propel the shells going up, not whatever explosive is in the shells.

Yeah, it's a bit tenuous and outdated but I guess there is some justification for keeping the gimmick rather than having a line that switches what it does well halfway through.

Sign in to follow this