You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DiggerPH

Laptop GPU’s . . . Which One

25 comments in this topic

Players
215 posts
3,548 battles

Hi All,

I was considering trading in my old iPad Mini for a new iPad Pro. . . . which then morphed into looking at a Microsoft Surface Pro then a  Surface Book 2 . . . . 

Now im looking at a 15 inch laptop as the prices of the above start to get a bit silly. There is also the unknown whether WoWs has hardware compatibility issues playing on a tablet (I would play using a keyboard and mouse though!)

Dell XPS 15 looks great but a tad expensive, and no 1060 iirc. . .

GPU’s I have narrowed down to Nvidia 1050ti and 1060, and hopefully cpu will be an i7 something or other. Screen will be 1080p and definitely not a 4K.

What I would like to know is how WoWs runs with either of those GPU’s and an i7 or even an i5?

Thoughts and opinions from experience welcome. . . 

[BK]
Players
162 posts
7,140 battles

My friends just got a laptop with an i5 and a GTX 1050, the game runs in full at 60 fps (1080p)

[KAKE]
Players
1,040 posts
3,365 battles

My laptop is an MSI with i7 7700 HQ 2.8 GHz and a 1060. I don't remember the game settings off the top of my head and can't give you any FPS numbers, but for me at least WoWS runs perfectly well at 1920x1080. I can try to check more details later if I remember it.

Players
215 posts
3,548 battles
4 minutes ago, Hardocky said:

My friends just got a laptop with an i5 and a GTX 1050, the game runs in full at 60 fps (1080p)

Excellent, is that with maxed out graphical eye candy?

Do you happen to know if that’s the basic 1050 variant or the 1050ti which is quite a step up in performance I think?

Apologies for the further questions.

Players
215 posts
3,548 battles

Also if anyone is managing to play on a current Surface Pro with keyboard and mouse that would be useful to know.

Players
152 posts
4,302 battles

Do you really have to run the game from a tablet?
Why is that?

My rig is an i5 4690 @3,5 and a gtx 660 running everything on ultra
Friends rig is an amd razen 5 without gpu running everything on medium high.
Cost of the first rig was about 700e and cost of the second ~500.

[-AP-]
Players
745 posts
2,918 battles

Any specific reason for not just buying parts and putting together a proper pc and a proper setup?

Players
215 posts
3,548 battles
17 minutes ago, thiextar said:

Any specific reason for not just buying parts and putting together a proper pc and a proper setup?

I have one, this would be for when away from home.

• Cool 1

[BOATY]
[BOATY]
Players
664 posts
9,649 battles

You may check Dell Inspiron G7. A little cheaper than xps 15 mainly because it is not an ultrabook but a gamers laptop. If you want to go even cheaper Dell Inspuron 7000 series is good also.

P. S. I am playing on Dell Inspiron 7000 1st generation from 2014. On lower settings at 1080p the game is very playable even with i7 4th gen, gtx750m and 8 gigs ram. I need to buy ssd though. 

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,359 battles

Why laptop? I would go for new PC if I wanted to buy something good for games.

Players
215 posts
3,548 battles
1 hour ago, _DeathWing_ said:

Why laptop? I would go for new PC if I wanted to buy something good for games.

Read the thread. Specifically 2 posts above yours. :)

1 hour ago, Jahpero said:

Hello everyone, 

This thread has been moved to the off-topic section.

Have a good day. 
Jahpero

Jahpero, I can see you’re logic, but then you’re not the one spending a ton of money speccing a laptop where the main game being played will be WoWs. Incidentally this is the first time I’ve ever been in to the Off Topic forum and is exactly why I posted in Game Discussion as I NEED players themselves who own and play on laptops to offer their own experience and advice.

In here it won’t get read by the people that matter

Could you kindly move it back please. :)

Many Thanks.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
2,661 posts

@DiggerPH

Just because you do not visit the offtopic forums, doesn't mean others don't.

There is also a Tech Corner where you could get dedicated help from willing and able members of the community.

In Gameplay we discuss the gameplay and everything more or less related to Wargaming. Your personal projects do not belong there, even if part of the project is you wanting to play WoWs.

As far as gaming on tablets go, I can not really help you. WoWs isn't exactly the most demanding game and I can imagine that an integrated GPU will be able to run the game at least in low details, as those integrated chips have gotten quite powerfull. Remember that even the current but several years old console generation is running on such chips and a PC architecture and they can perform some amazing feats.

• Cool 1

Players
215 posts
3,548 battles
16 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

@DiggerPH

Just because you do not visit the offtopic forums, doesn't mean others don't.

There is also a Tech Corner where you could get dedicated help from willing and able members of the community.

In Gameplay we discuss the gameplay and everything more or less related to Wargaming. Your personal projects do not belong there, even if part of the project is you wanting to play WoWs.

Incidentally I had the same happen on the NA forums and when I politely asked for it to be moved back to General Game Discussion, the mod obliged. Which was nice. :)

Players
206 posts
44 battles

Well.. I have nothing to add on what @Egoleter said :Smile_Default:

I'm sure you will have some other interesting answers with the thread in this section ! 

Have a good day ! 
Jahpero

Players
215 posts
3,548 battles
4 hours ago, Uglesett said:

My laptop is an MSI with i7 7700 HQ 2.8 GHz and a 1060. I don't remember the game settings off the top of my head and can't give you any FPS numbers, but for me at least WoWS runs perfectly well at 1920x1080. I can try to check more details later if I remember it.

Actually it would be interesting to know if you can run WoWs smoothly with everything graphical set to the Highest Quality?

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,048 posts
5,831 battles

A few weeks ago I bought a Dell G3 17 with a nVidia 1050 ti and it runs the game at highest settings smoothly.

It's only got a 128Mb SSD so I can only really install Windows there and not any games.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
2,661 posts
33 minutes ago, DiggerPH said:

Actually it would be interesting to know if you can run WoWs smoothly with everything graphical set to the Highest Quality?

With that setup he certainly can.

[KAKE]
Players
1,040 posts
3,365 battles
3 hours ago, DiggerPH said:

Tried changing it to maximum now and play a handful of games. And it generally ran at a pretty stable 70-75 fps. Dropped a bit with a lot of smoke on screen, that was the only thing I could say I noticed.

• Cool 1

Players
215 posts
3,548 battles
4 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

Tried changing it to maximum now and play a handful of games. And it generally ran at a pretty stable 70-75 fps. Dropped a bit with a lot of smoke on screen, that was the only thing I could say I noticed.

Many thanks for that, very useful. Looks like an i7 / 1060 combo is the sweet spot. Let’s see what the Dell Outlet has in the way of Inspirons!

• Cool 1