You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Rompiuova

Quality of players and MM,possible solutions?

19 comments in this topic

[SEAL5]
[SEAL5]
Players
24 posts
8,820 battles

Good day captains,

recently i have noticed a big worsening in the quality of players you meet in game. Such poor quality influences almost all games, i see things that are not explainable if with a total incomrpehension of game mechanics, such as DDs not spotting or capping but staying behind other ships, BBs rushing enemy lines alone or camping most of the time at map edges, CAs and CLs engaging alone a group of enemy ships or,again, camping all the game behind an island an so on, with the result of many game lost.

Could it be possible,for example, to set the MM so it chooses players with a same winrate to play in a game? This would made things more equilibrated and interesting.

Thank you and Battle Stations!!!

• Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[SCRUB]
Players
2,908 posts
7,759 battles

While everything you say is true and is frustrating I am not sure about skill based MM would make the game better.

The reason is (probably) grinding. While we all dont like to be on the loosing side (bad team) in the same time we all like to be on the winning side (good team).

Its one of the topics (among +/- 1 MM) that WG will not consider implementing at all.

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,742 battles

You got Ranked and Clanwars to fight against similar skilled enemies.

And maybe Coop :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[CATS]
Players
15,891 posts
11,170 battles
40 minutes ago, Rompiuova said:

Good day captains,

recently i have noticed a big worsening in the quality of players you meet in game. Such poor quality influences almost all games, i see things that are not explainable if with a total incomrpehension of game mechanics, such as DDs not spotting or capping but staying behind other ships, BBs rushing enemy lines alone or camping most of the time at map edges, CAs and CLs engaging alone a group of enemy ships or,again, camping all the game behind an island an so on, with the result of many game lost.

Could it be possible,for example, to set the MM so it chooses players with a same winrate to play in a game? This would made things more equilibrated and interesting.

Players did not change much.

You probably got better and now notice the differences more.

A good soultion would be to help bad players more (tutorials, trainings missions etc.).

Another solution would be to distribute the chosen players/ships for a battle more fairly. This would not change waiting times.

[SEALS]
Players
34 posts
3,121 battles

I don't like either overwhelm or be overwhelmed, i prefer a match where you lose by one point to one where you win for 600 points.

A equilibrated match are amazing but obtain that isn't so easy, there are to many factor to put on the table to make a skill based matchmaking and which you prefer over others?

(a high damage player should be a not very good squad, or someone that always play in division may have a very good win rate while it's a middle level player)

Anyway a better MM it's something that should be on the top of the list for Dev

Maybe adding the possibilty to chose between two queues (one with a +/-2 and another with a +/-1 MM) so when you want to start quickly you go to the one with the larger spread and whan you want more balanced play  go to the other

(sorry for my bad English)

• Cool 1

Players
152 posts
4,302 battles
32 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

You got Ranked and Clanwars to fight against similar skilled enemies.

And maybe Coop :Smile_trollface:

Fixed it for ya

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
4,345 posts
6,233 battles

There is no improving MM imo. The playerbase just seems to be getting worse and worse every week. Id kill for those ppl from half a year ago.

Every match is driving you nuts. And its far away from fun. You lose because of ludicrous teammates that dont understand ANYTHING about the. They dont understand that the game ends by points or time. Changing MM wont change any of that. Ppl who look with their guns in the wrong direction, or islands, wont dissappear with MM change.

- Punish those bad players more (which is obviously that WG WONT do it, every new ship line confirms that)

- Make them freaking learn the game! And thats pretty much impossible, without the above one.

• Cool 3

Players
466 posts
1,698 battles

The problem with using WR for skill-based MM is that it would presumably just result in the vast majority of players trending towards 50%, making it useless after some time in use. And it would create very long queue times for those at both extreme ends of the curve in the meantime.

A more practical suggestion might be a system like the one for Ranked, but given how resoundingly popular that isn't, I'd rather not, thanks very much. That's before you even ask whether the playerbase is big enough to support it.

Something along the lines suggested by @ColonelPete sounds more feasible. But then you get into questions like: How does MM measure skill? How does it take tier and class into account? How does it deal with divisions? I very much doubt the answers to those questions would satisfy everyone; people would still find something to complain about. So while I'm not suggesting that everything is perfect now, I can also see why WG prefer to keep MM relatively simple rather than complicating it further for (probably) marginal gains.

Players
535 posts
6,040 battles

It is very easy to make normal good balance MM but WG will never do it, they like MM just the way it is ( 8 potato team vs 6 normal/good player and 2 potato ) - in this way potato will win every now and than and will spend a lot of money on +gazilion xp flags and +gazilion xp camo and will buy doulones to spend it on freeXP converse and on premium ship especially T8 and 750.000 = 100€ T9 ... WG love players that play 3-6 month, spend around 200-300€ and go and let new potato to do same ..

Let mi tell you example - in early World of Warplanes, when game was just released - you needed about 300-450 games just to get from T7 to T8 and I need it with almost 70% win rate and premium time - do you know why !?  there was no 50-80 flag or camo that would give you + 50-100-125-200-333-777% xp and you would get 1000xp if you kill 6 planes and make unbelievable game ( like when you get 3200-3500 base in wows ), now with the all flags and camo in wows you can make 25k xp in normal game and 25 free xp, you can pay for freexp, and you need like 50-80-175-300k xp to get from normal T5/6 to T10 and that is absurd  - from low tier to T10 - if you have 750.000xp like for TZ9 premium you can get from I don't know T3/4 to T10 and you know nothing, you are not good enough for slow paced easy gaming T3 but now you play super fast and not easy at all T10, we have at least 4 players every game that don't know crap about angling, shooting, radar, ship detect, hydro, speed, and about 80 thing that you need to know for T10......

I don't see why WG wouldn't make CASUAL and PRO mode, and in casual you can play with some AV.dam per tier  and for PRO you need to have above of some av.dam for that tier - just to make difference and by that let "less skill" players play with the player that are in same big class not vs unicom or good players and by that some will learn and go in PRO or will play Casual and enjoy ....

Lest say if you have av.dam of 50k or less in T10 in last 100 games  than you can not go to PRO and if you have 50k or above than you can - that would be at least  good start ( you need 90-100k on T10 to be competitive in T10 battles so I think 50k is low enough)  - maybe lower numbers for DD or DD can be separate by av.xp E/B for that tier ..

Why there is no reward in xp and credit for BB tanking ( pot.dam )  and DD by spotting  ?? How do WG expect that player will play any class of the ship like they should when game have 0 reward for playing it like you should !?!?!?!?

and so on and so on

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

We've been through this a gazillion times. I'll keep it as short as possible. Wows is a F2P game. That means everybody can play it. Windowlickes/ keyboard face rollers like me or the best top aces around. Also the +/-2 MM from T5+ issue comes to mind. IMO the playerbase, playing at a said moment isn't big enough to make it +/-1. MM has improved vastly overtime with this handicap. IMO the tiers are now equally distributed as well as the classes and even the particular ships. Some exceptions left out. I for one don't really mind being bottom tier in a +/-2 match. It's a matter of adapting. Doing dmg on higher tier ships is only more income for me. Yes it sucks being oneshot by a Yamato in my Cleveland but it's 99.9% my own fault when that happens. Nowadays both sides are having the same "tier handicap" Heck MM is even compensating for fail divisions as good as possible. Skill based MM: in essence I favor that. But again: the player base is too small for this I think. Lots of coop players here. Nothing wrong with that I must add. But they're not active in Random matches.

My only two solutions would be: make it a P2P game. Not going to happen, I know. So actual fans will stay on the server and the Flamu's potatoes will revert back to Tetris. Or join all world servers to 1. Also not going to happen, I know as well. But in that case there'd be enough players to at least make a global +/-1 MM I think.

What I do: I don't play when the # of players is below 15.000, div excepted. When going solo the chance of a heart breaking boring landslide is too big. I still vehemently cling to my POV I'd rather have a nail biting, freaking awesome loss match then rolling them up in 5 minutes or worse: being rolled up in that time. The times that I type GG when losing: IMO the losers side's job when having them to bleed for every inch of progress, yet hem just being that tad better is getting increasingly more rare I must add. Yes, I do screw up and I make it a point to compliment the red who punishes that to the severest level.

[1DSF]
Beta Tester
1,469 posts
4,545 battles

I think he is one of the players who orders DD which are not good in capping to cap points and wonder when his orders are ignored.

Today nearly all battle with my chaba the say go cap, and get upset when i decline, so laughable!

[-TXG-]
Players
2,429 posts
4 hours ago, Rompiuova said:

It would still leave you fighting the bad players I am afraid.

Beta Tester
2,027 posts
2,743 battles

You take your skill based mm, and RAM it up where the sun doesn't shine, thank you.

Beta Tester, Players
628 posts
11,995 battles
8 minutes ago, lafeel said:

You take your skill based mm, and RAM it up where the sun doesn't shine, thank you.

well play more and type on the forum less mate.

I would love to see +-1 MM just for the first 3-5 mins of the queue then back to the normal one (+-2) this might not change the skill gap, but the ships would be better balanced (i hope)

mang

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,187 posts
14,440 battles

Skill-based MM wouldn't work in WoWs as the player numbers are far too low to sustain it.

Best you can do is to force people to play a tutorial explaining the various game mechanics and punish bad play via economy. WG however has interest in neither of those things.

• Cool 1

[EST]
[EST]
Players
811 posts
18,773 battles
4 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Players did not change much.

You probably got better and now notice the differences more.

Just no. MMmonitor has never been so red as last 2-3 months. No idea for reason, but player base on top tiers has been going down on quality.

• Cool 2

[NOCAP]
Players
329 posts
13,240 battles

This discussion has been opened way too many times, with varying ideas, both good and bad, but given the complexity and fragility of this system, I would not screw with it just yet. We will just have to accept the matchmaker taking a big dump on us once in a while, for now... 

Players
535 posts
6,040 battles

This game become insult to a brain, just let it this way and let game die - next time I uninstall this game ( and by this tempo of retarded brainless player base  it will be very soon)  it will be forever ..

Few more days like I had today and that's it ........