Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DangerousDave2k

Next Captain Skill for Scharnhorst?

19 comments in this topic

Players
181 posts
5,365 battles

I have 13 points (will soon be 14), 10 of them used on: Preventative Maintenance; Adrenaline Rush; Superintendent; Advanced Firing Training. What do you think the next priority for a captain skill should be?

Players
2,160 posts
1 minute ago, ForlornSailor said:

Concealment Expert. Its pretty much a must-have on all ships.

Well yes and no, some ships I do not take concealment expert on and the KM BB's Scharnhorst and onwards are a no for me.I agree it's a must have on just about everything else.

Scharn is quite tanky if you use her rudder shift and with 20s reload you're not going un-spotted much, he's gone AFT for secondary range so the next logical option is BFT for secondary reload. My Scharnhorst Captain is my Bismarck and Tirpitz skipper so I've gone full manual secondaries with AFT/BFT, it works for me, but I don't know if it would work for anyone else, I tend to be a brawler in those ships.

• Funny 1

Players
4,085 posts
6,241 battles
1 minute ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Scharn is quite tanky if you use her rudder shift and with 20s reload you're not going un-spotted much, he's gone AFT for secondary range so the next logical option is BFT for secondary reload. My Scharnhorst Captain is my Bismarck and Tirpitz skipper so I've gone full manual secondaries with AFT/BFT, it works for me, but I don't know if it would work for anyone else, I tend to be a brawler in those ships.

I used to play like this also. Then, one day, I was a few seconds away from a heal, running from lucky HE spammers. I was just out of concealment range (with CE I would have been clear quite a while), some BB still managed to shoot and took my last 4k or something. I could have healed back like 70%? I got so pissed that I put CE on every goddamn ship. period.

Players
934 posts
4,242 battles

I second @BeauNidl3's post. KM BBs need to be up close which means you'll only benefit from CE until first contact. I'd go with BFT, AFT and manual secondaries, get both rudder upgrades and install WASD hax.

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles

CE or FP is a solid choice on most BBs.

As you went for AFT, you will likely want something out of that though and basically the only things synergising with it are Manual Secondaries or Manual AA. Whatever you pick of the two, take the range module too of the corresponding type (AA range or secondary range), so you can get actual mileage out of the build. with signal and full secondary build, it's 8 km range on them. Which isn't a lot and should not be the preferred range of the ship, but when you brawl, they are quite nice.

The captain can also be used on Gneisenau (which btw has better secondaries and better AA), Bismarck, Tirpitz, FdG and Großer Kurfürst, though the last two have a harder time using secondaries (not a harder time getting targetted by CVs though).

• Cool 2

Players
181 posts
5,365 battles

Right now I've gone with a sort of 'jack of all trades' build. I noticed I was often dying to torpedoes in Scharnhorst, which is why I went down the AFT route. From what I've read, people seem to like to go all in on their captain builds, focusing all on secondaries or all on AA or all on concealment. Do these sorts of builds tend to yield better results than generalist builds?

Players
1,018 posts
7,773 battles

Yeah I'd take CE also. Scharnhorst gets a decent concealment, and is also fast. That option to disengage is invaluable.

I guess this could also depend on whether you're planning to use the captain on some silver ship. I use mine on Bismarck and thus has a full secondary captain (PM+BFT+AFT+ManSec and also CE).

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles
4 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

Right now I've gone with a sort of 'jack of all trades' build. I noticed I was often dying to torpedoes in Scharnhorst, which is why I went down the AFT route. From what I've read, people seem to like to go all in on their captain builds, focusing all on secondaries or all on AA or all on concealment. Do these sorts of builds tend to yield better results than generalist builds?

How does AFT counteract torpedoes?

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles
Just now, DangerousDave2k said:

Better AA for torpedo bombers and better secondaries for DDs.

Without corresponding upgrade and Manual skill, it's hardly worth much. Scharnhorst is no Gneisenau were base AA is high enough to amount to much (even Gneisenau can get dropped though) and the secondaries are pretty fireworks. With the full build, you can punish CVs somewhat decently and rushing your ship as a DD will be costly if they cannot kill you quick enough.

As an example, I was rushed by a Fubuki once in Gneisenau (and as I said before, Gneisenau has way better secondaries). Without Manual Secondaries (yet), the secondaries opened up, chunked out a good part of the Fubuki, but I pretty much had to torp it to get it killed, while running away to not get torped myself.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles
35 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

I noticed I was often dying to torpedoes in Scharnhorst, which is why I went down the AFT route.

This makes literally 0 sense :fish_palm:

Weekend Tester
268 posts

Considering the Skills you already learned on the Scharnhorst i would advice for manual secondarys as it would benefit the skills you already have the most, especially if you consider that the Scharnhorst excels in CQC so additional firepower from accurate secs with all her other feats is a menace that in T7 has few rivals.

CE or Fire prev are nice picks too but both benefit from each other more then from AFT.

Players
181 posts
5,365 battles
4 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

This makes literally 0 sense :fish_palm:

See above.

Would you say the secondary armament module is a better bet for the Scharnhorst than the aiming systems module in that case?

Weekend Tester
268 posts

Of Course Sec Module is better, Scharnhorst like all German BBs has garbage Accuracy on anything outside of 10km range, the few percent of the ACC module wont change anything (it wont even overcome the - ACC of any Ship with camo or even worse Concealment mod with Camo) so its not a good idea to invest in her bad points to mitigate them but rather to push her Strong Points which is her Secondarys in combination with her Torpedos and good ROF Guns  with Shortfuse AP.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,836 posts
4,219 battles
14 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

he's gone AFT for secondary range so the next logical option is BFT for secondary reload.

No, the logical next skill is manual secondaries. There is absolutely zero point having AFT without manual secondaries, the hit rate is abysmal. No secondary build is worth it without the power of both those skills combined.

• Cool 2

[DREAD]
Players
5,829 posts
5,251 battles
15 hours ago, ForlornSailor said:

Concealment Expert. Its pretty much a must-have on all ships.

Well.. T7? KM BB...? I‘d say that’s a waste of points. On Myoko? Yes. Even Nagato? Sure. But Scharnhorst - manual secs, AFT, Fire prevention, are more useful. For Sharny there are plenty of choices though.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,909 posts
7,759 battles

This is my Bismarck captain that I am also using on Sharnhorst and Tirpitz. Never lets me down :)

26EhC5s.png

+ Sharnhorst upgrades.

No2DcYn.png

Now some might say "go for the tank + stealth hybrid build", but I found the secondary build more than successful.

Plus you get to use one captain on three ships (if you also have the Tirpitz).

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

I run full secondary of German BB's. But indeed for 14: concealment expert would be my choice as well. In my case: manual secondary when 18.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this