You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NicramDuel

How Karma helped me get better!

42 comments in this topic

[HNFC]
Players
88 posts
8,737 battles

Apparently, shifting my in-game attitude seems to have payed off.

In january I was still one of the guys constantly blaming others and flaming in every second match I had. Then one time, while spending the typical once-or-twice-a-week chat-ban of mine, I saw a post from a fellow captain on facebook in which he reached a grand total of 100 complements! He got it despite the current atmosphere where you are reported for nearly anything: Not going where someone wants you to... Scoring a kill and being considered a frag-stealer...Killing someone from the enemy, enraging them in the process... Merely joining the game as top-tier... Joining with a Conqueror/Lyon/Kutuzov/Belfast/etc. I didn't believe this to be even remotely possible, since I never really got above 2-3 karma. I really wanted to try it though, so I decided on a few changes: 

0. (Try to) Insult no one: you never know who's playing, why he joined the match, and what he personally seeks from the game. And what the player's shortcomings are. Just let it all go. You may be addressed...and you may want to address others for their mistakes...but don't. Just let it go. 
1. Improve! 35k average damage/battle at t8 after 500 games in a Kutuzov probably suggests a place for some gitgud. 
2. Stop playing rambo/coward/solo - and start playing as part of the team. If you have smoke, then stick to someone who might need it. If you have radar in a US CL, then chase a lucky allied cruiser and help him. If you're in a BB, then for the love of all that's holy, stick your nose into battle, and tank. 

3. Learn the game mechanics: Being a teamplayer is one thing, being the tard who dies first after just 30 seconds into the game is another. Know when to jump in, get out, lend a hand... and get a hand from others, too. Leading the push at t10 in a 9 km detect range cruiser will usually motivate your team to heaven and back. Oh, and learn to actually hit your target, learn the leads/angles/speeds. 35k average damage will rarely net kills. 
4. Use chat and indications for positive stuff: "Hey bro, let me go forward, I'll tank for ya", "hang on, bringing radar to "B" in 20 secs" is quite useful, "awesome shot dude, keep it up" goes a longer way for the whole team than "you -censored- fragstealer, go stick one of your DD's in a place it wouldn't fit!". 

While in pursuit of Karma, I eventually realized that it's not just a charade any more - I'm actually enjoying the game a lot more, have become much more forgiving towards other players. And I've realized that just how many fellow players are actually trying to do their part in getting us to a victory  in contrast with considering everyone a noob after a loss. In many games I find another player who we mutually assist each other for the majority of the fight (smokesharing, radarspotting, etc). It's great to see a very different community even though the players themselves are the same. Also I've seen many of my stats skyrocket ever since. I still have a 91% solo games vs 9% squad games ratio according to wows stats and numbers, but my winrate has gone up from around 50% to 53%, and my average damage is 56.5k/game (taking into accout the fact of having around 35k back in january. The more recent ships in my fleet: Moskva, the US CL's, random IJN/RN BB's have exceptionally good averages compared to what I used to do. And the emblems are being unlocked in a very quick manner, too - top3, top1 games are frequent now. 

I still have quite a way to go, but have made a lot of progress, and most importantly: I'm enjoying the game much more in the past few months, with this changed attitude. Ever since I'm not looking for excuses and confrontations in and out of battles, but trying to actually make an impact on the battle itself appears to have really helped...both in, and out of the game, too. 

P.S.: I know Karma has no in-game value apart from avoiding the temporary chatbans and banishments to co-op. And it is also a relative number, as the urge to report another player is much more frequent than remembering the complement function. But that was part of the challenge: trying to avoid all sources of reports, while hoping to finally deserve that ever-so-elusive complement once in a while. I'll try to go even further, but just getting this far was worth it. Particularly for the part of the community who I already met or will meet in battle: one less source of toxicity in our battles!

Even though Karma currently holds probably nothing of value (no, I can confirm not gaining supercontainers on a 50%-50% basis, and actually, MM seems to have started to seriously screwing me over since I reached 20 or so Karma), it could very well do some good for our community if more players would take on this challenge! I invite any of you to do so with open arms - it'll be one hell of a ride, but one to look back proudly at, too!:) 

shot-18.08.04_17.53.42-0494.jpg

• Cool 22

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

I would have to care for what strangers think about me on the internet to care for karma.

But that is fine if you need "validation" from strangers on the internet, most of us dont even look at that value, as proven by previous posts about the same.

Why would you be "in pursuit of karma", that is just a number in a screen, to begin with?

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,074 posts
17,364 battles

Over 35 k average damage on tier 8 cruiser ... I think I have that on all my cruisers from tier 3 and up.

Flaming at this level... you must have balls.

[HNFC]
Players
88 posts
8,737 battles
4 minutes ago, 22cm said:

Over 35 k average damage on tier 8 cruiser ... I think I have that on all my cruisers from tier 3 and up.

Flaming at this level... you must have balls.

No wonder I was chat-banned once every 3-4 days. :D 

[HNFC]
Players
88 posts
8,737 battles
4 minutes ago, Juanx said:

I would have to care for what strangers think about me on the internet to care for karma.

But that is fine if you need "validation" from strangers on the internet, most of us dont even look at that value, as proven by previous posts about the same.

Why would you be "in pursuit of karma", that is just a number in a screen, to begin with?

The internet has indeed helped us in stopping caring for each other's feelings, and made us braver to hurt others. I didn't like being like that - and although I first started it as a gag, it ended up helping in so many ways - not just at a social level, but it also improved my game a lot! :) 

• Cool 4

[NWP]
Players
4,353 posts
6,233 battles

Pah, i got almost 90 Karma despite raging almost every game at someone :cap_haloween:

Infact, i get reported much more often for other reasons than calling someone out for playing like s***. I believe most reports are handed out from your own teammates when you dont do what they want you to.

But to be fair, im not always being aggressive right from the get go, if i see someone is playing cruiseship-simulator again, i try to tell them that they are making a wrong move. Today i helped a CV player who didnt know about manual attacks, because it was just a bad experience. I played Zuiho, he was independence. Enemy Independence knew about Strafe and there is no way to handle that when your own T6 CV loses all his fighters within 3 minutes.

• Cool 1

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
10 minutes ago, NicramDuel said:

The internet has indeed helped us in stopping caring for each other's feelings, and made us braver to hurt others. I didn't like being like that - and although I first started it as a gag, it ended up helping in so many ways - not just at a social level, but it also improved my game a lot! :) 

Erm, if you get hurt by the internet, the issue lies in yourself.

"Made us braver to hurt others"? People have been hurting one another since far longer than the internet exists, just a heads up. 

Also: Karma 0 is the way to go.

Players
4,085 posts
6,241 battles
45 minutes ago, NicramDuel said:

it could very well do some good for our community if more players would take on this challenge!

Bildergebnis für sounds good doesnt work meme gif
  • Funny 1

Players
804 posts
12,827 battles

Don't be too harsh to the OP, he consciously realized and identified things that made him play and behave badly, adopted as a measure of his improvement a "useless" number within the game and stuck to certain rules, with the outcome of things snowballing positively.

In fact, a convert sharing his experience has more "gravitas" when pointing out those things than someone who behaves like that by his own nature. Many of us can keep being cynical about the true extent of impact this could have, but he tried and succeeded. Kudos to that.

Salute.

• Cool 12

[UNICS]
Players
3,185 posts
12,579 battles
2 hours ago, Juanx said:

Wows is just '0' and '1' in the end, not particularly meaningful, yet you find some value in it.

[SNUBS]
Players
1,293 posts
6,853 battles
2 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Pah, i got almost 90 Karma despite raging almost every game at someone :cap_haloween:

WHAT is this magic!  i even get negative karma when i had a week chatban .

Players
4,085 posts
6,241 battles
3 minutes ago, lameoll said:

WHAT is this magic! 

I can tell you his trick. He only rages when he is in division with me. For some reason, people stop reading after the Clan-tag, who they want to report. Since @DFens_666 is usualy too busy writing, while still alive, he rages, when he is dead. Im still alive and thus above him, when going to the Scoreboard. So, that person, that wants to report him, starts looking from the top of the scoreboard "where is that bad-mouthing MIA-Guy.. AAAH THERE HE IS - ENJOY YOU REPORT". And he reports me. True story...:cap_wander_2: I cant count the times, after the battle, when he goes to check, how many times he got reported, and all I hear is "oh, weird, havent been reported" or even "Hey, I got complimented, funny!" Then I go to check my Karma: -2. Most of the times: I HAVENT SAID A WORD ! :cap_fainting:

So thats the way to decrease your clanmates karma: Division up - die early - rage = profit!

• Funny 8

[SNUBS]
Players
1,293 posts
6,853 battles
1 minute ago, ForlornSailor said:

NEVER let @MortenTardo read this. thats exactly what happends with him when i play with him XD 

• Funny 3
  • Angry 1

Players
840 posts
8,520 battles

A nice post about someone improving his game play and ingame behaviour.

Gets flamed.

That's the community for ya.

Right frikkin' there. 

• Cool 9

Players
4,085 posts
6,241 battles
4 minutes ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

Seems to me like karma had nothing to do with it, you just decided to stop blaming other people for your own faults, then fixed them. Good on you.

Well, if it was Karma, that made him realize it, then somehow Karma had everything to do with it, no ? ;)

5 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Gets flamed.

Are we really surprised about that? Guess not... Then again, that tells a lot too.

• Cool 1

[1911]
Players
54 posts
8,602 battles
3 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Pah, i got almost 90 Karma despite raging almost every game at someone

Yup, I also find something or someone to [edited] about at least every second game and I sit on like 112 karma. Never chatbanned.

I will now teach all of you one simple rule to just farm karma like a madman: Be a competent DD player. I tell you, people really do appreciate a DD that doesn't die in the first 5 minutes and smokes/caps/scouts intelligently.

• Cool 1

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
1 hour ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Gets flamed.

That's the community for ya.

Right frikkin' there. 

The issue lies in the source the OP wants to attribute to the improvement, caring for a trivial unseen by anyone else by you stat, when in fact was

1 hour ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

Seems to me like karma had nothing to do with it, you just decided to stop blaming other people for your own faults, then fixed them. Good on you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This right here.

Nothing to do with the warm and fuzzy feelings you like to get, and all to do with reality.

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles

Regardless of what karma actually means, improving your gameplay and your in-game behaviour is always a good thing. Good on ya.

• Cool 3

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
9 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

Regardless of what karma actually means, improving your gameplay and your in-game behaviour is always a good thing. Good on ya.

To that I can agree, too bad its only a few that go that far.

[UN]
Weekend Tester
883 posts
20,893 battles

What karma has taught me: turn the chat off and don't care for social interaction in a mmo. Else it will bite you in the *** (24 hour chat bans). That's how Wargaming wants their games to be played. No "hi" to players, no coordinating a gameplan.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles
6 hours ago, Caljostro said:

What karma has taught me: turn the chat off and don't care for social interaction in a mmo. Else it will bite you in the *** (24 hour chat bans). That's how Wargaming wants their games to be played. No "hi" to players, no coordinating a gameplan.

I'm going to go with "no" on that one. If you're regularly chat banned, you should probably reconsider what you're actually using chat for. And the majority of players are relatively nice and polite. It's a far better environment than pretty much any other competitive game.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1