Sign in to follow this  
Ferry_25

Kronshstadt. I'm asking your advice

37 comments in this topic

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Hey people. This thread is purely selfish. I've been grinding free XP for KS (spelling is awful of this ship (-;). I'm at 735 now but I'm seriously getting in doubt of purchasing this ship. So I'm asking your advice. For the sake of argument, don't take my stat performance to high in this case. I know KS is by origin a German cruiser. The thing is I didn't like the German cruiser grind one bit. Uptil Roon: I loved that grind. And I also very much like Hindenburg. Yes: my stats say I'm performing meh in it. Trust me on my word those are the average between godlike and beyond awful matches I play with it. There is rarely a boring match for me in H'burg. On the other hand: I highly liked the Russian cruiser grind. Except for Moskva. Not to provoke the Moskva lovers, for me that was the biggest slap in the face for all grinds. I find it very tedious and weak. MY Moskva has citadels allover it. And I'm not too fond of the "battle cruiser" idea at all in wows. I find Scharnhorst an equally "meh ship." I asked advice elsewhere if Hood would be eligible for me, when it was on sale. I got a overwhelming NO advice.  Again: this is all from my POV. I'd love to hear the advice from KS owners, from my POV as much as possible, hence the wall of text.

tl;dr. Dislike G cruisers T1-8. Like T9+. Like USSR cruisers T1-9. Dislike 10. KS.... What's your advice?

Beta Tester
741 posts
11,351 battles
37 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

What's your advice?

I do not own KS, but if you dont like Sharnhorst much, then i dont think youd like one on T9 without its brawling capabilities and torps. I might be wrong but thats how i see it, thats why i dont bother thinking about getting it. Just save it, might aswell use it on something else later.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
3,391 posts
12,027 battles
46 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

I know KS is by origin a German cruiser.

But it doesn't have German characteristics, so it can't be reliably compared to them.

48 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

I find Scharnhorst an equally "meh ship." I asked advice elsewhere if Hood would be eligible for me, when it was on sale.

Then it is clear that you will not enjoy this ship. While the Kronny is classified as a cruiser it acts like a good version of Hood. It has radar, guns that can punish cruisers and battleships alike, can tank some damage when angled, and lastly has a huge HP pool that is comparable with a battleship.

• Cool 2

Players
747 posts
8,297 battles

Like I sayed in other topic, I play it like Germans and do reasonably well and like it. But my playstyle on the Germans is a bit different than you usually see, so experience may varie.

AS far as Scharnhorst goes, it is a lot different. Kronsthad guns Are way better.

As advice. I would wait, until Alaska comes out and forum-members get it and get an opinion on it. Alaska lookes somewhat more "Normal". And would be somewhat more relaiable.

And then decide. Alaska should be out soon.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Thanks people. The no camp in my issue is piling up. I know it's my decision in the end and I won't blame anyone. The thing is: I'm dead curious to this ship. I passed the 750 line today. I'll take one universal advice to heart: have patience and wait it out. It'll be here for a long time. Missouri was up for IIRC at least a year. So there's no rush. And M was very well in advanced notified to be removed. Please keep bringing up your highly appreciated advice.

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Hmmm. No overwhelming response yet. That's definitely telling me to hold my cards just yet.

[BGNAV]
Players
138 posts
5,601 battles

I got the KS and to be honest I can't say she's a strong ship. She performs either ridiculously well or horrible, depending on the map and team setup. You can solo rush BBs in her, but for a radar cruiser she is strangely useless against DDs - short radar duration, horrible accuracy, long reload. Overall she is good at killing cruisers and dealing high damage to BBs, but is more of a brawler due to poor accuracy. This also means that you may often end up in the typical front line torpedo soup. 

With her, you should move with your team and stay at mid to close range (not suiciding though). This sounds easy, but in random games it is very hard - most teammates will leave you alone at the first sight of an enemy and you can hardly disengage. For me, she is like the Atlanta - very fun ship to play but very, very hard to master. I am very far from doing well with this ship, but I am learning. Can't say that I recommend her though...

• Cool 3

Players
747 posts
8,297 battles
On 6.8.2018 at 10:29 PM, Ferry_25 said:

Hmmm. No overwhelming response yet. That's definitely telling me to hold my cards just yet.

If you want, I can send you some of the replays, so you could determine, if you play in the same playstyle.

But overally, I would wait. Alaska looks better, but I would not say better for me, I do hate slow shells. I would rather play Hipper against tier.X than Des Moines..

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles
3 hours ago, mariouus said:

If you want, I can send you some of the replays

I'd like that. Can't find too much material on yt. And mostly those are that "amazing epic matches" anyway. If you could send me 1 or 2 mediocre games I can truly see what I'm dealing with.

Players
747 posts
8,297 battles
8 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

I'd like that. Can't find too much material on yt. And mostly those are that "amazing epic matches" anyway. If you could send me 1 or 2 mediocre games I can truly see what I'm dealing with.

Ok, will find something and send them tomorrow. 

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles
1 hour ago, mariouus said:

Ok, will find something and send them tomorrow. 

Thanks a million bro/ sis! Again: I'm not looking for your most epic match. I already can see statwise you're perfectly able to fend for yourself. And OC that one match where you were the First Blood Donor by just having picked the wrong corner and got focussed out in 25 seconds (or am I having those matches alone here on wows? :Smile_playing:). It's not for me to see how good you are but to get informed about this ship. And for that those "meh, this was a mediocre to lousy match!" replays are worth gold. And take your time. I'm in no rush. BTW: statwise I see you're dong very well in KS. Somehow I have the vague feeling you and I have things in common in playstyle... Though your USSR cruiser stats beat mine by lightyears, I see a similar-ish pattern in your and my numbers.

Players
747 posts
8,297 battles
1 hour ago, Ferry_25 said:

Thanks a million bro/ sis! Again: I'm not looking for your most epic match. I already can see statwise you're perfectly able to fend for yourself. And OC that one match where you were the First Blood Donor by just having picked the wrong corner and got focussed out in 25 seconds (or am I having those matches alone here on wows? :Smile_playing:). It's not for me to see how good you are but to get informed about this ship. And for that those "meh, this was a mediocre to lousy match!" replays are worth gold. And take your time. I'm in no rush. BTW: statwise I see you're dong very well in KS. Somehow I have the vague feeling you and I have things in common in playstyle... Though your USSR cruiser stats beat mine by lightyears, I see a similar-ish pattern in your and my numbers.

I will send you some Good, some Bad and some Average. In Kronsthat, my performance is rarely Average. I would say that only about around 10%. About 45% of the battle are from Good to Very Good. And about 45% of the battles are from Bad to Very-Bad. It is unrelaiable for the Cruiser, for example in Hipper about 66% of the battles are around my average performance and only 15% constitute for Very-Good and 15% Bad to Very-Bad.

So, only sending Average or medicore battles, I would actually be sending you the most rare battles.

• Cool 1

[ITA_C]
Players
261 posts
7,034 battles

brought it today and maded 3 battles in her  i have an aggressive playstyle  i go close to cap i try to surprise the enemy taking a lot of risks  so i end on fire at ships when they are pretty close  what i can say is that it's accurate and her guns perform Amazing  in the first battle i managed to sneak near a yamato  and i scored 6 citadels in 2 salvo making her explode also at mid range 15 km i've scored 20k on a german bb in one salvo her survivability is excellent with her hp pool and 2 repair  then you also got  aa def and a 11km radar actually i find her so damn overpowered  , i suggest you to take her i was doubtfull as you but now im an entusiast 

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles

Still coming to grips with her myself after two games. But, I think it's more me than the boat.

[BONI]
Players
1,133 posts
9,957 battles

I guess it's similar to Germans in that your good ammo is dependent on getting broadsides. On the other hand, don't expect that German tendency to get overpenned. None of that. The cit generally holds up when angled, but broadside vs. BBs and you're back to port. It's not a brawler by any stretch of the imagination, the AP bounces on angled cruisers (except UK, I suppose), there are no torps and no hydro and the turret traverse sucks. It's a mid-long range kiter. The only thing you want to brawl are CVs.

[BGNAV]
Players
138 posts
5,601 battles
3 hours ago, MoveZig said:

The only thing you want to brawl are CVs.

You present some valid points, but I somewhat disagree with this statement. I've gone 1 vs 1 in Kronshtadt against BBs and I've always won. They do hit hard, but if you present only so much side that you can barely fire your back guns at them, you will bounce on the lower belt. Of course, if they hit the upper one you will suffer, but such salvo cannot delete you. Then however they usually get citadelled back to port. 

This does not work as well against KM BBs - you will hit them very hard, but the return hits will be even harder. And if you can't kill them in 2-3 salvos, you will die. Montana, Yamato and to some extend Conqueror are food up close if you angle properly (bow on you will get overmatched and citadelled, too much side and you will get a priority ticket back to port). Republique and GK are not enemies you want to get close to unless they are not paying attention and they're on low HP.

There is only one case so far where I've lost against a BB and it was because the fight was not 1 vs 1 (but I got to know that too late - when I spotted a torpedo wall at my port side).

Fighting cruisers up close is a lot more tricky as most of them have torpedoes and Kronshtadt is not the most agile "cruiser" out there. Fighting DDs is... next to impossible: bad dispersion + low radar duration + lack of hydro and agility = a very sunk cruiser.

The long range kiting role you mentioned is a very safe way to play, but is also rarely going to result in good returns. I've tried that and I got stats deep in the red with Kronshtadt while the same play style's got me unicum stats for Zao. It's just that the guns are highly unreliable. When I started to play at mid to close range, my stats started improving (though I am still trying to get out of the "average" level with her).  

In my opinion however, this is a ship that is best played with DD support. She can do scary amounts of damage per salvo when she is close, but she can't deal with DDs well.

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles

After a 152k damage game in her, I have a piece of advice for you: Shoot AP.

• Cool 1

[ITA_C]
Players
261 posts
7,034 battles
1 hour ago, lafeel said:

After a 152k damage game in her, I have a piece of advice for you: Shoot AP.

also your main target are bb's and far cruisers if cruisers are too close you will only overpen them 

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles
1 minute ago, Torped1ne said:

also your main target are bb's and far cruisers if cruisers are too close you will only overpen them 

Even overpens can be in your favour if the shell happens to hit something vital on it's way through. ;)

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

I watched @mariouus replays, again: thanks for those. He/ she gave me 2 examples of each sort of match: good, bad and mediocre. I'm convinced now I want to take KS. I like the ship. I just want to wait for the French BB and Alaska. AFAIK there isn't any info of the ETA nor if they'll be coal ships, free XP or both.

There is no rush anyway. The free XP is on my account already. It doesn't hurt to grind more.

• Cool 1

[BOATY]
[BOATY]
Players
664 posts
9,649 battles
On 8/21/2018 at 11:27 AM, Ferry_25 said:

I watched @mariouus replays, again: thanks for those. He/ she gave me 2 examples of each sort of match: good, bad and mediocre. I'm convinced now I want to take KS. I like the ship. I just want to wait for the French BB and Alaska. AFAIK there isn't any info of the ETA nor if they'll be coal ships, free XP or both.

There is no rush anyway. The free XP is on my account already. It doesn't hurt to grind more.

She is a fine ship. Good choice! And it is the highest premium russian (given the fact that Stalinblyat is out of reach for majority for now)  so it can be used for commander training. 

I personally, play her rarely, mainly because Missouri is a better credit earner(even  Musashi is). 

One advice (which is already kind of given above) :

- Play her like Moskva and Yamato - keep 15+ range in the begining. Take all your enemies on one of the sides so you can see what comes. 

- Speck her for fire damage prevention - as the damage control last just 5 sec but fires last linger than on regular cruiser and hurt a lot because of her huge HP pool. 

- Lastly, if there are long range sniper BBs be sure to always apply WASD as this ship is very vulnerable to citadel strikes from plunging fire. 

[BGNAV]
Players
138 posts
5,601 battles
15 minutes ago, Episparh said:

given the fact that Stalinblyat is out of reach

Just got her. So far I have very mixed feelings about this ship. Kronshtadt is definitely tankier and more suitable to fight at mid range (and even up close if there's someone to spot torpedoes and DDs. The Stalingrad has identical armor layout to the Moskva (I think the citadel armor has 20-30mm more). The nose and deck are tougher than the Kronshtadt (25mm upper, 50mm lower bow armor, 50mm deck VS 25mm all over), but the citadel of Stalingrad sits higher and has 180mm total armor in a single layer.

Stalingrad is essentially a Moskva with no hydro option and bigger guns. The turning circle is about 100m more than GK, so she moves like a brick.

Kronshtadt is more stealthy and a lot tougher, though lack of accuracy is definitely a concern with her. Also she is the better credit earner most of the time (I feel that Stalingrad earns similarly to other tier 10s with premium camo).

So far I really haven't done well in both as I am more used to close range brawling BB and Des Moines gameplay along with long range Zao and Megazao HE spam. 

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Sounds good. Not bought it yet. Want to await Alaska and JB first. No rush anyway.

S'grad will be beyond my reach as well in the foreseeable future as well. My shrink will only allow limited Ranked battleplay. If I'm getting more lunatic I might become dangerous to society... So no much steel to be expected there.

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles
2 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

Sounds good. Not bought it yet. Want to await Alaska and JB first. No rush anyway.

S'grad will be beyond my reach as well in the foreseeable future as well. My shrink will only allow limited Ranked battleplay. If I'm getting more lunatic I might become dangerous to society... So no much steel to be expected there.

Can't, personally, see any way the Alaska would be superior to the Kronstadt, but each to their own..

Sign in to follow this