Atorpad

Atlanta BFT or DE?

22 comments in this topic

[ARYA]
Players
441 posts
9,206 battles

Hi

Atlanta benefits from both of these captain skills . which one is better choice?

[ADRIA]
Players
4,856 posts
6,926 battles

DE increases your potential fire output by 40%

BFT increases your potential fire output by just about 11.1%

So if fires is what you're after I would pick DE. Then again, never played the Lolanta so this might not be the best way to look at it

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,751 battles

Always BFT > DE.

You get more fire rate, therefore more alpha damage, more fires and more AA while DE only gives more fires. And BFT is helpful when firing AP as well.

• Cool 6

[ARYA]
Players
441 posts
9,206 battles
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

So if fires is what you're after I would pick DE. Then again, never played the Lolanta so this might not be the best way to look at it

I am using flamu's build with DE . but fire is not that much of a problem these day . everyone knows how to handle it .at least i am unable to get big damages from fire

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,900 posts
7,365 battles

BFT no question even

50% healable Direct damage > 100% healable damage over time

DE isnt really usefull for damaging DDs, CAs or shooting down planes, BFT does all that while also countering BB heal better.

I could go on, but you should get the picture for now.

• Cool 1

[ARYA]
Players
441 posts
9,206 battles
43 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

It's firing rapidly enough for me. I'd say DE.

Even minotaur's 2.8 sec reload is not enough for me :cap_rambo:

I am using DE and not that much fire damage !!! 4 or 5 fires for more than 120 hits . and people know how to deal with damage 

Players
4,379 posts
7,767 battles

DE boosts fire chance, handy against battleboats, BFT gives flat dakka upgrade, both for HE and AP. And some anti air.

I do run DE though, as I use Cleveland/Des Moines captain on her.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles
1 hour ago, Atorpad said:

Even minotaur's 2.8 sec reload is not enough for me :cap_rambo:

I am using DE and not that much fire damage !!! 4 or 5 fires for more than 120 hits . and people know how to deal with damage 

Replay or it didn't happen. 4 or 5 fires with Minotaur?!

:Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[ARYA]
Players
441 posts
9,206 battles
2 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

Replay or it didn't happen. 4 or 5 fires with Minotaur?!

:Smile_teethhappy:

Did you just mixed up ?!

I said 2.8 sec reload on minotaur isnt enough for me !!!! end of line 

Then i said fire chance is low even with DE . have a look at this . 1 fire for 106 hits with DE no IFHE and no signal

shot-18_08.07_00_26.43-0275.thumb.jpg.c61bdb869c1a109addee367ec3330250.jpg

[UNICS]
Players
3,226 posts
12,644 battles
On 8/3/2018 at 5:15 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

Are you sure about the 40% increased fire chance..?

I prefer BFT for Atlanta.

edit: checked the firechance on atlanta and you may be correct wilkatis. It's quite a buff... Still tough to measure considering the fire negation of different ships and mechanics...

[ADRIA]
Players
4,856 posts
6,926 battles
8 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Are you sure about the 40% increased fire chance..?

It gives you flat 2%, you started with 5 so sum of 7 is a 40% increase. Further on, any fire resistances are applied to the sum of them not just your base chance, so effectively no matter the resistance you have increased your chance by 40%.

In other words - in a case where you with your base chance get 10 fires with DE you have the potential to get 14.

That's just maths.

But yes, that is purely for starting fires. As others have said - BFT, while giving you lesser fire starting boost, gives you more shells = more alpha damage dealt, plus it keeps helping when you switch to AP. Also improved AA (like Lolanta needs that)

So one is a very specified niche thing (DE) and the other one is more of a jack of all trades ability (BFT)

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Players
3,226 posts
12,644 battles
7 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

It gives you flat 2%, you started with 5 so sum of 7 is a 40% increase. Further on, any fire resistances are applied to the sum of them not just your base chance, so effectively no matter the resistance you have increased your chance by 40%.

In other words - in a case where you with your base chance get 10 fires with DE you have the potential to get 14.

Yes, the buff is 40% regardless of resistance, but if resistances and mechanics bring you down to a firechance of 0.5% per shell, that 40% increase won't be very effective in terms of fire damage. Instead of 2 fires, you may get a 3rd with DE. Not as fun as 14 instead of 10.    ...or so I interpret it.

I have IFHE on Atlanta and the lowered fire chance makes me prefer BFT ahead of DE.

• Cool 2

[H_FAN]
Players
2,025 posts
24,254 battles
9 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

Yes, the buff is 40% regardless of resistance, but if resistances and mechanics bring you down to a firechance of 0.5% per shell, that 40% increase won't be very effective in terms of fire damage. Instead of 2 fires, you may get a 3rd with DE. Not as fun as 14 instead of 10.    ...or so I interpret it.

I have IFHE on Atlanta and the lowered fire chance makes me prefer BFT ahead of DE.

Well do you use the fire flags also, on a ship like Atlanta they can be of help, I know that is not in the question, but as a rule when I build captains on ships where fire chance is low and therefor benefits most of flags, I do take use of them in consideration.

Sadly I can see that I use the non-recommended build of DE, IFHE and CE, as I have no dedicated Atlanta captain but previously used my Cleveland, and now can use f.e. Helena or other light cruiser captain (all 5 are 14-16 level). 

For players like me the ultra-optimized build is probably not that important - but I can see the point for those that specialize in Atlanta. 

[UNICS]
Players
3,226 posts
12,644 battles
1 hour ago, Gnirf said:

Well do you use the fire flags also, on a ship like Atlanta they can be of help, I know that is not in the question, but as a rule when I build captains on ships where fire chance is low and therefor benefits most of flags, I do take use of them in consideration.

Sadly I can see that I use the non-recommended build of DE, IFHE and CE, as I have no dedicated Atlanta captain but previously used my Cleveland, and now can use f.e. Helena or other light cruiser captain (all 5 are 14-16 level). 

For players like me the ultra-optimized build is probably not that important - but I can see the point for those that specialize in Atlanta. 

I don't see your build as less effective tbh, it's more a matter of personal taste and what you like to focus on.

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,900 posts
7,365 battles
16 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

It's firing rapidly enough for me. I'd say DE.

That doesnt make sense...

[UNICS]
Players
3,226 posts
12,644 battles
8 minutes ago, Affeks said:

That doesnt make sense...

If he suffers from arthritis in his index finger it kind of does.

• Funny 2

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,900 posts
7,365 battles
1 minute ago, loppantorkel said:

If he suffers from arthritis in his index finger it kind of does.

Good thing you can hold down the button...  I think :cap_hmm:

[H_FAN]
Players
2,025 posts
24,254 battles
40 minutes ago, Affeks said:

Good thing you can hold down the button...  I think :cap_hmm:

You get plenty of training on already on Dresden! But I think that you are correct

[BGNAV]
Players
138 posts
5,627 battles

If the commander is for Atlanta only - DE. If it is for the light cruiser line with the occasional game in Atlanta - Superintendent.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
1,355 posts
17,320 battles

My personal choice for Atlanta captain would be this:

• Dedicated Atlanta captain - BFT
  • Shared captain with Dallas/Helena - DE
  • Shared captain with Cleveland/Seattle/Worcester - SI

Any of this could work nicely with Boise too. For Flint captain with SI would be better option but both BFT and DE could work.

• Cool 1

[SOCKS]
Players
783 posts
5,479 battles

If you're playing the ship with an exclusive captain, if you've spec IFHE (and seriously, you should in Atlanta) BFT. Extra rof can't hurt any machinegun. SI doesn't hurt but I've rarely found myself out of radar charges in atlanta by the end of a game.

If you're using your CL line captain, DE all the way. SI if your captain has already DE and it's already fighting in seattle/burnchester (by that stage you should already have more than 13 points in your captain anyway).

• Cool 1