Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Amaterasu_Regale

The Roma Paradox

21 comments in this topic

Players
178 posts
1,974 battles

---> Ship has good concealment, implies you should get close

----> Guns overpenetrate nearly everything at close ranges barring a direct centre mass hit. (Admittedly, this is where the gunnery performance is fantastic)

-----> Extremely high shell velocity would imply that taking accurate shots from range is easy.

-----> Concealment implies the ship should get close.

-----> Absolutely atrocious gun handling makes shooting at targets at anything longer than 15 Kilometres practically a guaranteed miss, or 1 overpen due to horrible dispersion.

----->Has lower caliber main battery guns than other tier 8 BBs

------> Ridiculous Shell Velocity makes the guns overpenetrate even through Cruiser citadels.

Players
178 posts
1,974 battles
3 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

deal with it? fantastic ship...

Thank you for your detailed arguments against the points I have raised, this information will truly lead humanity to a new enlightened age of intellectualism.

• Funny 2

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
7 minutes ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

----> Guns overpenetrate nearly everything at close ranges barring a direct centre mass hit. (Admittedly, this is where the gunnery performance is fantastic)

-----> Extremely high shell velocity would imply that taking accurate shots from range is easy.

-----> Concealment implies the ship should get close.

-----> Absolutely atrocious gun handling makes shooting at targets at anything longer than 15 Kilometres practically a guaranteed miss, or 1 overpen due to horrible dispersion.

------> Ridiculous Shell Velocity makes the guns overpenetrate even through Cruiser citadels.

You may want to bring a point to your posts next time. There is a description of the ship in the wiki and in the store, not too sure why you are parroting it here?

Did you think it was going to make you a better player? Give you any skill?

As said, try pitching a point, if you want blogging, there are other venues for that.

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles
44 minutes ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

Patently false, she has exactly 1mm higher caliber guns, at 381 mm in diameter than the Bismarck, Gascogne, Richeleu and the Alsace all of which have 380mm guns.

• Cool 4

[TEA]
Players
954 posts
4,253 battles

I love the Roma its a great ship, pretty, good guns and maneuverability.

The only downside I find to the Roma is it lack of range and poor citadel protection, I prefer it to the bismarck though. It handles so well.

If you want to make the guns more accurate try the dispersion module, I have that on mine.

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles
4 minutes ago, HMS_Argosax said:

I love the Roma its a great ship, pretty, good guns and maneuverability.

The only downside I find to the Roma is it lack of range and poor citadel protection, I prefer it to the bismarck though. It handles so well.

If you want to make the guns more accurate try the dispersion module, I have that on mine.

Getting in closer also works (he says after scoring six citadels on enemy bb's in his Roma last night)

Modder, Alpha Tester
1,623 posts
838 battles
27 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Patently false, she has exactly 1mm higher caliber guns, at 381 mm in diameter than the Bismarck and Monarch, both of which have 380mm guns at tier 8, as do the Gascogne and Richeleu.

Monarch carries 381mm guns though.

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles
Just now, zFireWyvern said:

380mm guns, according to the game's own files..

[TEA]
Players
954 posts
4,253 battles
4 minutes ago, zFireWyvern said:

They are not the same guns, the ships or their guns are in no way comparable.

7 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Getting in closer also works (he says after scoring six citadels on enemy bb's in his Roma last night)

Indeed, I do that too ;)

Modder, Alpha Tester
1,623 posts
838 battles
Just now, lafeel said:

380mm guns, according to the game's own files..

B7YS8.png

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,661 posts
5,455 battles

Gun calibre Seamantics :)

(Typo intended).

Ships at T8 with larger guns, North Carolina, Alabama, Massachusetts, Amagi, Kii (Alabama ST) - 5(+1)

Equal or smaller - Monarch, BIsmarck, Tirpitz, Richeliue, Gascoigne - 5.

So  very much middle.

Love the ship myself, just don't play her very often.

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles
1 minute ago, zFireWyvern said:

B7YS8.png

Okay, I'll take Monarch off the list. It's true as far as the rest of the ships on it are concerned however. :Smile-_tongue:

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,232 posts
3,385 battles

The thing about Roma's guns is that they are perhaps the bigest trolls in game: Sometimes you'll hit 9/9 at spotterplane endrange, sometimes you'll miss 7/9 at 7 km and the two that hit are ether going to be absobed or be overpens. The bane of extreme velocity and godawful shell manufacturing I'm afraid.

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles
Just now, piritskenyer said:

The thing about Roma's guns is that they are perhaps the bigest trolls in game: Sometimes you'll hit 9/9 at spotterplane endrange, sometimes you'll miss 7/9 at 7 km and the two that hit are ether going to be absobed or be overpens. The bane of extreme velocity and godawful shell manufacturing I'm afraid.

And once in a blue moon you land three citadels in one salvo.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,232 posts
3,385 battles
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

And once in a blue moon you land three citadels in one salvo.

True story, I once devastated a Montana, to the great surprise and loud cheers of my divisionmates.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles
1 minute ago, piritskenyer said:

True story, I once devastated a Montana, to the great surprise and loud cheers of my divisionmates.

Wasn't a Monty in my case, it was one of the two enemy Roma's. But I am certainly not complaining. :D

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles
1 hour ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

Bcuz Bismarck, Derpitz, Richellieu, Gascogne and Monarch are not tier 8 BBs? Hell, even Alsace at tier 9?

Just like any other BB - go full concealment, play her at about +1...+2km range. That tends to be where you are most efficient for pretty much all of them

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,396 posts
5,436 battles
1 hour ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

You should not look at the concealment purely for close range purposes. Disengaging and repositioning are vastly easier with good concealment. Also getting undetected between salvoes means you will be able to pick a target of your choosing most of the time.

Sign in to follow this