You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Strefs

Le Terrible's Early Preview

50 comments in this topic

Community Contributor, Beta Tester
320 posts
5,626 battles

unknown.pngLe Terrible in Early Preview

As a second addition to the French destroyer premiums, we’re seeing the T8 Le Terrible. She is currently on the public test server for very early preview. As always, very Work in Progress. Everything is subject to change.

History
Le Terrible was a Le Fantasque-class destroyer. She was built in the 1930s for the French Naval Forces. She was a formidable ship, larger than most destroyer counterparts of the time. But that was not all. During speed trials, Le Terrible reached a top speed of 45.1kn, making her the fastest destroyer in the world.
Just after the outbreak of World War 2, she joined her sister ship Le Fantasque (among others) in the French Raiding force until the French surrender.
After being captured and flying the Flag under Vichy France, she managed to escape during Operation Torch and fought alongside the Allies until the end of the war.

In-game rundown
Le Terrible is a sizeable vessel, compensated somewhat in hitpoints - 18600. She’s decently armed, with 5 138.6mm guns and 3 sets of triple 55cm torpedo tubes (1 on each side, 1 able to fire in both directions). Le Terrible is a fast ship, with a base speed of 43kn, her turn circle is 690m, with a rudder shift of 4.3s.
But she isn’t a stealthy ship. Fully concealed, she clocks in at 7.1km detection. Finally, Le Terrible has a rather mediocre AA suite, mostly consisting of 13.2mm and 37mm AA that will barely scratch any plane within range.

Modulesunknown.png
Le Terrible’s guns are the aforementioned 138.6 (139 in-game) calibre guns. They have a 7 second reload, 11.2km range, and deal 2000 and 2700 for HE and AP respectively. The turn rate is 25.7 seconds, and the fire chance is a good 10%.
In terms of torpedoes, the 3 triple mounts are capable of launching 9km range 60knot torpedoes, with damage being just shy of 15000.
AA is a combined 20dps at 1.2km range, 7dps at 3.0km (ouch).

Consumable Choice
Le Terrible has access to 3 consumables in addition to Damacon:

Smoke screen – The terrible french one, 69 seconds fade time, 20s action time.
Engine boost – The good French one, 20% boost for 120 seconds.
Main Battery reload Booster – 10 seconds active time, decreases the reload by 75%.

Analysis and Conclusion

unknown.png

Pros:
    • Crazy Speed
    • Decently Armed
    • Somewhat different to conventional destroyers

Cons:
    • AA Suite
    • Concealment
    • Range

Le Terrible really looks like she’s going in the direction of the RU-DDs. She’s really fast and has quite bad concealment. Unfortunately, unlike the Russian destroyers, Le Terrible doesn’t really have the range to effectively zoom around and annoy ships. You can of course run AFT to somewhat negate this problem.
Most carriers are going to be feeding on this thing if they play right, you’ll have to rely on your speed and them making mistakes to avoid them.
I am interested to see whether she’ll be released as is, because it would mean that we’d have our first destroyer breaking 50kn, by quite a large margin (54.1kn).
Other than that, it would seem that this destroyer is not going to be something hugely extravagant, which is not necessarily bad, but let’s let the actual test decide that.

• Cool 5

Weekend Tester
572 posts
5,250 battles

IF WG persists with these ridiculous speed increases in the ships, the game will quickly go the way of WoT - which is now more of a run-and-gun FPS than a game about tanks combat.

• Cool 3

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles

I heard the guns were better than Aigle guns? With better shell velocity for better trajectories that don't touch the moon? What is the stock range, if I may ask?

23 minutes ago, Strefs said:

She’s decently armed, with 5 138.6mm guns and 3 sets of twin 5,5cm torpedo tubes (1 on each side, 1 able to fire in both directions).

5.5 cm torpedoes are pretty small...

• Cool 1

320 posts
5,626 battles

9 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

I heard the guns were better than Aigle guns? With better shell velocity for better trajectories that don't touch the moon? What is the stock range, if I may ask?

ah, yes my bad! It's the heat! I swear!

• Funny 1

[SWTP]
Players
517 posts
6,981 battles

To be honest on paper Kiev looks better, at least on the paper (range and torps) but this speed WOW! I wonder how well will it be able to dodge incoming fire at a relatively close range.

Players
1,212 posts
7,642 battles

It's meant to be Ivan The Terrible Grr Fierce scary rather than HMS Hopeless. Although I do seem to be taking that ship out a lot, these days. 

[OCTO]
[OCTO]
Players
82 posts
6,014 battles
1 hour ago, Strefs said:

I am interested to see whether she’ll be released as is, because it would mean that we’d have our first destroyer breaking 50kn, by quite a large margin (54.1kn).

To take a shot at it in USN ship you will need Ultrawide screen to be able to set the correct lead on it ;-)

• Funny 1

[SWTP]
Players
517 posts
6,981 battles
2 minuty temu, Nordavindr napisał:

To take a shot at it in USN ship you will need Ultrawide screen to be able to set the correct lead on it ;-)

No, just shot without zooming in at all:cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles
10 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

It's meant to be Ivan The Terrible Grr Fierce scary rather than HMS Hopeless. Although I do seem to be taking that ship out a lot, these days. 

I know, but you have to admit, it's too good a joke to pass up on.

[-HUN-]
Players
829 posts
8,477 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

They might be small but playful :P

history-channel-dick_o_184441.jpg

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles

So it does get the Baguette Boost, that's going to be one massive pain in the stern to shoot at :Smile_teethhappy:

[HF_30]
Players
1,373 posts
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

Bad translation. Ivan the Formidable would be a lot better. 

Beta Tester
2,028 posts
2,749 battles
36 minutes ago, tenacious_torps said:

Bad translation. Ivan the Formidable would be a lot better. 

Le Formidable is a whole another boat though.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,611 posts
6,459 battles

If you can stick a speed boost special upgrade on her, that would be produce some quite naughty speed - three minutes of it, specifically (I think)?

[KAKE]
Players
1,041 posts
3,365 battles
2 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

If you can stick a speed boost special upgrade on her, that would be produce some quite naughty speed - three minutes of it, specifically (I think)?

You can use it on Aigle at least, so it would certainly be a bit weird if it wasn't supported on Le Terrible.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,428 posts
9,422 battles
3 hours ago, Strefs said:

Le Terrible really looks like she’s going in the direction of the RU-DDs. She’s really fast and has quite bad concealment. Unfortunately, unlike the Russian destroyers, Le Terrible doesn’t really have the range to effectively zoom around and annoy ships. You can of course run AFT to somewhat negate this problem.

Actually, with AFT it will have 13.44 km range - same as Khaba (which cannot spec AFT).

So the range is not the problem.

The missing heal is.

320 posts
5,626 battles
1 hour ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

Actually, with AFT it will have 13.44 km range - same as Khaba (which cannot spec AFT).

So the range is not the problem.

The missing heal is.

What do you mean, Khabarovsk cannot spec AFT? Khabarovsk has 130mm, and only manages to reach 13.4km WITH AFT.

Are you perhaps talking about the range upgrade? This is a T8, so that's out of the equation anyway.

If you look Khaba's armour layout and that of Le Terrible (which is 19mm all round), then you'll notice that 11.2 base is NOT enough to effectively zoom and annoy, you get punished too easily. Perhaps the speed will compensate for this, but if you check at the somewhat comparable Tashkent, with a maximum firing range of 15.2km - much more comfortable. Both are 19mm all round.

Beta Tester
2,428 posts
9,422 battles
5 hours ago, Strefs said:

What do you mean, Khabarovsk cannot spec AFT? Khabarovsk has 130mm, and only manages to reach 13.4km WITH AFT.

Are you perhaps talking about the range upgrade? 

Lel, yeah sorry, must have been confused there at work. 

Ofc 13.5 with AFT. 

This is a T8, so that's out of the equation anyway.

If you look Khaba's armour layout and that of Le Terrible (which is 19mm all round), then you'll notice that 11.2 base is NOT enough to effectively zoom and annoy, you get punished too easily. Perhaps the speed will compensate for this, but if you check at the somewhat comparable Tashkent, with a maximum firing range of 15.2km - much more comfortable. Both are 19mm all round.

Khaba armor is nice, but the heal feels way more important to me. 

I believe if it had a heal, you could play it like a Khaba. 

How are the gun arcs compared to the Aigle? 

[TTT]
Players
4,108 posts
7,842 battles
18 minutes ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

Lel, yeah sorry, must have been confused there at work. 

Ofc 13.5 with AFT. 

Khaba armor is nice, but the heal feels way more important to me. 

I believe if it had a heal, you could play it like a Khaba. 

How are the gun arcs compared to the Aigle? 

problem is, if you play it like a Khebab, it doesnt matter what the arcs are like - it's not gonna do any meaningful damage. It's got a seven second reload. This thing has worse HE DPM than a Kagero, Z23 (which gets better reload on its 150mm guns for some reason) or Ognevoi (although it does have better fire chance), a good 40% less than a Kiev or, if you want to be really unfair to it to hammer home a point, barely more than a third of the DPM a Khabarovsk can achieve.

Good luck being an effective gunboat with that...

Beta Tester
2,428 posts
9,422 battles
1 hour ago, Tyrendian89 said:

problem is, if you play it like a Khebab, it doesnt matter what the arcs are like - it's not gonna do any meaningful damage. It's got a seven second reload. This thing has worse HE DPM than a Kagero, Z23 (which gets better reload on its 150mm guns for some reason) or Ognevoi (although it does have better fire chance), a good 40% less than a Kiev or, if you want to be really unfair to it to hammer home a point, barely more than a third of the DPM a Khabarovsk can achieve.

Good luck being an effective gunboat with that...

While Khaba DPM can be very useful with AP, the HE damage to superstructures is not that important. Against BBs it is more about setting fires. 

Terrible has 5 guns with 10% fire chance and a 7 second reload. 

Fletcher has 5 guns with 5% fire chance and a 3.3 second reload. 

So the fire starting potential against BBs should be comparable to a Fletcher, which is definitely not bad for T8.