You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrFingers

Au revoir, you old standalone launcher. The "Wargaming Game Center" will be forced upon us all in the near future

283 comments in this topic

Players
323 posts
5,379 battles
7 hours ago, Clefspeare13 said:

People who are not regulars are allowed to have opinions and thoughts too, you know.

No you will not leave, keyboard warrior..........

That is a quote from you. To say that is an opinion is beyond a joke.

And as for thoughts, how long did you think before you posted that. I can only imagine what your in game chat is like, as salty as the dead sea I suspect.

• Cool 1

[GOE]
Players
1,647 posts
6,834 battles
12 minutes ago, Toivia said:

Well [edited], that is a big nono.

And since some people like to call us old fools for not embracing change, I'd really love to know what that change makes better for me. Because if there's nothing, I fail to see how my grumpiness is unsubstantiated.

Let's see: I don't play (or intend to play) other WG games or even other instances (no time). Current launcher updates and launches WoWs just fine. I don't read news on the launcher, that's what the webpage is for. I start the launcher when I want to play the game, not read or watch stuff. Is it running in the background even when I play the game any beneficial to me? Can't see how it would be.

So, as of right now, can't find anything good it would bring me. Yet it will require me to install it, it will require me to learn it, it will require me to police it (so that it doesn't keep running constantly when i have no need for it - enough crap keeps running as it is while unneeded). Small issues perhaps, but they add up to take time.

The sad thing is that when the chips are down, the drop in the playerbase will be minimal, maybe around 1000 or 1500.

Most player neither read the forums, reddit or patchnotes. I would also bet that only NA and EU will be used as seeders, knowing that in for example Russia the average rig is way worse than what you have in the EU and the Americas.

You know the biggest lie on the interweb?

"Did you read the terms of service? - Yes!"

[HF_30]
Players
1,373 posts

So... has somebody already wiresharked the damned bloatware? Because if there's something even remotely fishy, I can see how the recent changes to privacy laws allow for some really fun stuff, especially when coordinated.

[NOCAP]
Players
1,535 posts
15,496 battles

I was using the WGC until it failed to update WoWS, even after reinstalling WGC. I'm using the good old launcher without problems ever since.

I hope they ironed out all problems and the WGC will run as it should. But who am I kidding? This is WG.

Players
934 posts
4,242 battles
3 hours ago, Mandalorianer said:

Well, if the information from the german froum is right...

...you, your PC and your internet connection will be used as seeder to torrent around your game data and very likly even more - and you can't disable it.

gh23mr0.jpg

Oh, forgot to say, the old launcher also uses a torrent client to update your game. Here's a post from the NA forum in 2015 where someone discusses how to change the default download method from a torrent to a straightforward download by editing one of the configuration files. There's no easy tickbox, you have to manually edit the file. The new launcher gives you more control over managing your updates than you had with the old one.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,578 posts
8,330 battles

As someone who has been using the WGC for a while now (since the WoWp re-launch), I can drop some information here from my point of view. Both subjective and objective.

I have had no issues with the application so far. If it was ever "a buggy mess" it was before I started using it.

My only complaint is that you can't set individual games to not auto-update. Either they all do or none do. You can of course uninstall them to stop them from auto-updating.

Just like with every launcher that I know of you can disable uploading if you don't want to seed to other players.

For me the application has a ~200MB footprint. Pretty middle of the road as far as launchers go (less than Steam, slightly less than Twitch, around the same as GoG, more than Origin). Could be better, but it's nothing crazy.

If there are truly people who can't currently run the WGC, then that's of course not good. But I think people either got a bad impression early on, or they heard from someone who heard from someone who read somewhere that it's bad.

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Players
980 posts
7,897 battles

Last time I had the combined launcher, I uninstalled WG's other titles and the launcher refused to run, as uninstalling those two games apparently uninstalled the launcher too, even though I could see it in my files and nothing had changed,  locking me out of updates and therefore forcing me to completely reinstall WoWS, so no, keep your crummy unified launcher. Frankly I have a hard time understanding why games need a launcher at all, I want to play the game, if I want news I'll come to the game's related website. 

[GWDYS]
Players
404 posts
3,020 battles

I never had any problems with game center.

So i guess bye to everyone that doesnt like it ? 

• Boring 2

[BLITZ]
Players
2,239 posts
9,468 battles

I recently changed to the WGC again because of the single-login (I'm very lazy, I know).

My one and only "complaint" about it is it goes into tray instead of exiting without any option to change this behaviour.

I just like my programs to actually close when I want them to close.

Other than that I'm totally fine with it.

20 hours ago, MrFingers said:

And I don't want that buggy piece of badly written code on my computer. I had it once, and it bogged everything down. So that means a forced abandoning of WoWS then?

Maybe an outdated statement.

[GOE]
Players
1,647 posts
6,834 battles

Funny thing: It's Friday and, at least in the forums, noone from the staff even bothered to post something. Reddit at least go a copy & paste post from a Bot...

I hope they don't let this blow up over the weekend like Bioware did with an unpopular SW:ToR update 1 or 2 years ago... :cap_rambo:

4,035 posts
8,675 battles
29 minutes ago, Mandalorianer said:

Funny thing: It's Friday and, at least in the forums, noone from the staff even bothered to post something. Reddit at least go a copy & paste post from a Bot...

I hope they don't let this blow up over the weekend like Bioware did with an unpopular SW:ToR update 1 or 2 years ago... :cap_rambo:

I mean... what kind of input do you expect? 

If they reiterate what S_O posted on reddit, what's the point in them interacting here?

If they come up with something like: 'Yeah, we here you and try to bring in all your feedback!' Half the posters here won't believe them so nothings gained.

• Cool 2

Players
1,316 posts
7,885 battles

I've been using it for ages without a problem. No impact on performance, no problem with the torrent seeding (standalone did that too), games are updated in the background and always ready to play. 

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
1,443 posts
5,899 battles

The combined client is a good idea but in reality it sucks right now.

I am using it from the first day they introduced, and though as it has some improvements in the past couple months,

my chrome stays in awe of the clients ram eating capacity when it updates the game in the background.

and there are no options for manual update.

you can pause any update.. but it resumes automatically whenever the clients seems it is ok. Without asking you.

I played WOT for 20k games, and playing a couple with my brother from time to time once in every a couple months.

I am a closed beta tester for the arena so it is installed too.. I am checking it from time to time..

I do not want to uninstall those games, but I don't want them to be updated unless I want it.

Client does not let me to do that. So my solution is, I am running wows from the standalone application shortcut.

I just use the client whenever I need an update to a game..

On the other hand, I've never ever seen any other problems than those.

Unwilling updates and ram eating. Never had crashes, no similiar problem or else..

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
1,224 posts
2,552 battles
15 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

The combined client is a good idea but in reality it sucks right now.

I am using it from the first day they introduced, and though as it has some improvements in the past couple months,

my chrome stays in awe of the clients ram eating capacity when it updates the game in the background.

and there are no options for manual update.

you can pause any update.. but it resumes automatically whenever the clients seems it is ok. Without asking you.

I played WOT for 20k games, and playing a couple with my brother from time to time once in every a couple months.

I am a closed beta tester for the arena so it is installed too.. I am checking it from time to time..

I do not want to uninstall those games, but I don't want them to be updated unless I want it.

Client does not let me to do that. So my solution is, I am running wows from the standalone application shortcut.

I just use the client whenever I need an update to a game..

On the other hand, I've never ever seen any other problems than those.

Unwilling updates and ram eating. Never had crashes, no similiar problem or else..

You can tell the center not to auto update your titles.

You can tell the center not to pre load patches ready for you to update when you want to.

You can tell the center to reduce computer load during update.

The center gives you the ability to manage how and when you receive your updates and when you install them.

As for RAM eating, it's no more RAM hungry than the old launcher when it patches the game.

I'm sorry, but I really don't see what the problems are,

• Cool 1

[PUPSI]
Players
91 posts
5,073 battles

It`s not about how bad/good WGC is, it is about choice what you want to have and what is unnecessary and options to turn that off.

For me, it is overly aggressive and, instead of lure me to try some other WG products, it will be exactly the opposite.

If WGC would not give me an options to adjust its functionality in the way that fits my needs (old launcher functionality only), i will say thank you to WG and move onto something else.

Certainly I will not stay around for month (year) or two until they fix the "issues" ...

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,578 posts
8,330 battles
17 minutes ago, biker_618 said:

If WGC would not give me an options to adjust its functionality in the way that fits my needs (old launcher functionality only), i will say thank you to WG and move onto something else.

Certainly I will not stay around for month (year) or two until they fix the "issues" ...

If all it takes to turn you off of the game is to have an updated launcher, then I think you didn't really want to play in the first place.

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
1,443 posts
5,899 battles
Just now, Fat_Maniac said:

You can tell the center not to auto update your titles.

You can tell the center not to pre load patches ready for you to update when you want to.

The center gives you the ability to manage how and when you receive your updates and when you install them.

As for RAM eating, it's no more RAM hungry than the old launcher when it patches the game.

I'm sorry, but I really don't see what the problems are,

ok then, I think that is my mistake because I've tried to find the auto update options but failed.

To be honest, I guess I didn't looked for it hard enough.

About the ram issue, I do not know what happens on my or your computer but I know what I experience.

I have 12gb of ram, and If I let the client update arena or wot in the background while I am playing wows (on ultra settings)

The game starts to stutter after 5 mins roughly, and If I do not stop it, it completely freezes my computer after a while.

I've managed to run task manager (waiting 2 - 3 mins after clicking for it) and I've seen the client using 8gb of ram at that time..

so that may be is a problem with my gig and setup I am not sure..

[PUPSI]
Players
91 posts
5,073 battles
16 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

If all it takes to turn you off of the game is to have an updated launcher, then I think you didn't really want to play in the first place.

Not that, it is that someone take liberty to go beyond just a suggestion how should i use my PC without being asked for.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,239 posts
9,468 battles
17 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

I have 12gb of ram

That's an awkward setup. I guess you have 8+4?

4,035 posts
8,675 battles
33 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

Ehhhhhh what's that for an argument? I mean, quitting the game over the WGC might be over the top for you or me, but for others it is not. That has nothing to do with how 'much' someone wanted to play the game.

You don't have to accept everything that the devs offer and STILL can be a vivid fan of the game.

• Cool 2

[CU]
Players
313 posts
3,474 battles

So far it seems alright, minimal system usage, just keep the screen on WoWs and it doesn't feel much different from the original launcher as you can disable it from starting with windows. In fact I prefer it as I can just start from the system tray.

For those that are complaining about it being used as a seed for torrent, there is a tick box to disable this option. If anything, this gives you more options than the old one did.

WGC.JPG.0afc61d83600b156a1b9d135031c6103.JPG

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
1,443 posts
5,899 battles
6 minutes ago, SeeteufeI said:

That's an awkward setup. I guess you have 8+4?

nope,

I have 4 ram slots,

at first it was a 4+2 set..

I've found another one from my brother, and made it 2x 4+2

I am planning to remove all of them and put 2x8 for the near future.

[HF_30]
Players
1,373 posts
8 hours ago, Nechrom said:

For me the application has a ~200MB footprint. Pretty middle of the road as far as launchers go (less than Steam, slightly less than Twitch, around the same as GoG, more than Origin). Could be better, but it's nothing crazy.

200mb for what is essentially a desktop-link and a rather simple app that checks for new updates. Alright, there's also a minimal torrent client in it, but that's already the start of the reasons to become grumpy with WG yet again. They charge hefty premiums for their premium offers, why can't they afford to run a decent download server? Anyway, all of the above is easily done with 20mb and that's being very generous about it. What do the other 180mb do then?

• Cool 1