You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrFingers

Au revoir, you old standalone launcher. The "Wargaming Game Center" will be forced upon us all in the near future

283 comments in this topic

Players
3,244 posts
7,381 battles

The old launcher works fine for me and I can switch regions and chose to not update some of my WG games (I don't need an updated game I don't play anymore).

2 hours ago, Ced23Ric said:

The summary would be: People hate change and will make up any number of excuses to validate that instinctual hatred, including fabricate lies to themselves and others, for no other reason than "I don't wanna!".

Are you for real? It seems more like you're talking about yourself. Or you're just making up any excuse to validate your instinctual hatred, including fabricating lies about how people not wanting change are supposed to be like. But of course they just don't wanna.

And not wanting change is not something younger people never do, it's an absurd statement.

• Cool 1

[ALONE]
Players
1,416 posts
10,918 battles
2 hours ago, Ced23Ric said:

Straw-manning, slippery slope fallacy, tinfoil hattery.

huh?

My argument isn't new = good, but that suits your narrative. Your agenda is being against the change, supporting those who are against it, too as brothers in arms, so fishing for validation and arguments to counter counter-arguments (whooo, getting dizzy) is all too natural.

This is rational behaviour - in my workplace we often mention a British Professor, Noble Prize winner btw, who was saying: 

"If it works - don't touch it!"

My argument though was an entirely different one, outlined above: "... but allows WG.net to free up developer time to focus on other parts of their software landscape, while only a dedicated team remains to update the WGC for all departments..."

Freeing developer time is not the priority, of course. 

The move away from individual launchers for the software catalog of WG.net is entirely reasonable.

Only if one uses multiple titles from the catalog. Otherwise it is called bloatware, because it brings more unwanted activity than the helpful one. 

The summary net improvement for company and users (less background processes for people using more than one service, the same amount of processes for those using one service, while making sure every service has an up to date CDN client, with a dedicated developer team) are also reasonable.

Only if using multiple titles, and I think this even means more than 2. 

You already have a launcher. The WG.net Updater manages your game, patches it, alerts you to updates, verifies your install in case of corruption and other services related to keeping the client software current and operational. Pieces of management software, client nodes to a CDN server cluster, are entirely necessary since the advent of non-media software distribution. Valve clued into that before anyone else, and pushed hard, with Half-Life 2 being the ox before the cart. The outrage back then was huge and kept gaming magazines around the world busy to print frothing readers' letters for months, and now Valve is a behemoth that sells hats on TF2 and has become what they are today. Ubisoft and EA wanted a piece of the pie. Imitation acts, and bad copies at that. What does that have to do with the WGC? Nothing at all. The WGC isn't a market place, it's a CDN client for the software catalog of one company. I doubt you'd ask for WG.net to offer their patches as monthly CD-ROM in a magazine, because that was how we got patches for games before these "only interested in quick money" and "uninterested in the needs of their users" launchers.

Companies obviously push into such model, but this absolutely does not mean it is the best option for their customers. There is a serious issue of the control over your own computer - more and more background "services" potentially leads to competition and conflicts between them. Also it means that the player has not enough control over which version of the code he has installed (important in WoWS for example to be able to access replays from older version), and when to occupy network bandwidth/disk access to upload and update the big, multi-gigabyte files. 

For me personally, I see no reason to be forced to install more complicated "game updater" - I am playing only one WG title, and don't wish to have another "background daemon" on my computers doing something when I don't play WoWS, including uploading & installing anything. 

"Freeing up developer time" is totally not enough for me to accept it, I spent enough money on that game that WG can afford keeping one simple updater. :etc_red_button:

• Cool 3

[-CC-]
Beta Tester, Players
1,416 posts
4,332 battles
Alle 8/2/2018 alle 16:51, NoirLotus ha scritto:

You know it's basically a single launcher for the 4 games. It downloads the updates automatically.

I play only one game.
I don't want WG to chose what and when to download.

Alle 8/2/2018 alle 16:31, vonduus ha scritto:

I actually like wgc, and no, I am not paid to say so.

This is exactly what a man contractually obligated to not admit he is being paid would say.

My suspicion increases.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[CU]
Players
313 posts
3,474 battles

The big question is, where can I download it to try?

Ignore this, found it

[BOTS]
Players
55 posts
11,321 battles

Be a nice start if the Game Center install file didn't default to a C:/Program Files isntall path with no way to change it.

Be even better if it didn't try and hide in the background and run permanently by default.

Unimpressed.

Uninstalled.

• Cool 4

Players
3,043 posts
13,346 battles

How much background resource does this Game Center use?

If it is miniscule then it will probably be OK.

OTOH it may push me into making a decision between upgrading my PC or stopping playing WoWS.(Not going to be too bold & dramatic about it because it is 50/50)

My situation

Spoiler

- I have an older computer but am 100% satisfied with it for everything except WoWS.
- The only game I play is WoWS and am not interested in others.
- WoWS runs OK on my system, but I do have to close down all non essential applications, and the ones that remain are noticeably slower
(e.g I like to take notes & partial screen copies into an MS OneNote notebook during a session)

Beta Tester
2,283 posts
2,974 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

If it is miniscule then it will probably be OK.

OTOH it may push me into making a decision between upgrading my PC or stopping playing WoWS.(Not going to be too bold & dramatic about it because it is 50/50)

My situation

Reveal hidden contents

- I have an older computer but am 100% satisfied with it for everything except WoWS.
- The only game I play is WoWS and am not interested in others.
- WoWS runs OK on my system, but I do have to close down all non essential applications, and the ones that remain are noticeably slower
(e.g I like to take notes & partial screen copies into an MS OneNote notebook during a session)

0% cpu useage, 127mb of memory used, 0 disk, 0 network (taken from my own task manager with it running (idle) as a background process), hope it helps.

EDIT: small correction.

• Cool 1

Players
3,043 posts
13,346 battles
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

0% cpu useage, 127mb of memory used, 0 disk, 0 network (taken from my own task manager with it running (idle) as a background process), hope it helps.

EDIT: small correction.

Thank you for the prompt reply.  :Smile_honoring:

Beta Tester
2,283 posts
2,974 battles
Just now, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

Thank you for the prompt reply.  :Smile_honoring:

No problem, glad to help. :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
934 posts
4,242 battles
2 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

The old launcher works fine for me and I can switch regions and chose to not update some of my WG games (I don't need an updated game I don't play anymore).

There's an uninstall option for each tab/game. Uninstall the games you don't play and as if by magic, they're not updated.

1 hour ago, Blixies said:

I don't want WG to chose what and when to download.

Configurable in the settings and you can turn off joining the upload seeds too.

16 minutes ago, Blood_Vessel said:

Be even better if it didn't try and hide in the background and run permanently by default.

Agreed but this is exactly the same behaviour exhibited by Steam, Origin, Uplay et al. In fact if I remember correctly, Uplay is the only one that has an option to actually exit the launcher instead of minimising the window to the system tray when you click the 'close' button.

4 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

This is it running on my PC right now. I'm not in the game but I haven't noticed any adverse effects in WoT or WoWs. Chrome has 4 tabs open and is using nearly 10x the memory.

IkNBBqY.jpg

There have been similar discussions on the Tanks forum and someone has highlighted that there is a possible browser hijack which can open windows you know nothing about because of the way the launcher used to work. In every case this was tracked back to those affected players installing mod packs from .. ahem .. "questionable" sites. 

Players
3,244 posts
7,381 battles
8 minutes ago, Strappster said:

There's an uninstall option for each tab/game. Uninstall the games you don't play and as if by magic, they're not updated.

Perhaps I should specify more clearly: I don't want that WG center to touch any of my old installs. This includes uninstallation.

• Cool 1

[4_0_4]
Players
5,087 posts
11,214 battles

So I assume some of you also got the e-mail from WG?

I really don`t like this change, since WoWs is the only WG title I play.

• Cool 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
2,761 posts
7 minutes ago, Zemeritt said:

So I assume some of you also got the e-mail from WG?

I really don`t like this change, since WoWs is the only WG title I play.

Nope, no E-Mail for both accounts I have. I saw it as a news when I logged in earlier today. Logged off after I read it, as I lost my will to play for the rest of the day.

From what I heard, that mail promises gifts to those who adopt to the new launcher early.

[4_0_4]
Players
5,087 posts
11,214 battles
8 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

From what I heard, that mail promises gifts to those who adopt to the new launcher early.

I could post a screen of it here, but I only have it in german :cap_hmm:

Edith; and of course, the Reddits get a comment from WG before the official forum does :Smile_facepalm:

Spoiler

• Cool 2

Players
934 posts
4,242 battles
19 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

Perhaps I should specify more clearly: I don't want that WG center to touch any of my old installs. This includes uninstallation.

As far as I know, it doesn't. My PC carked itself recently and I had to do a fresh install but I don't recall it even attempting to scan the drive for other games. You can import them if you want to and I don't, so I have separate folders for Steam and standalone games.

Players
3,244 posts
7,381 battles
1 hour ago, Blood_Vessel said:

Be a nice start if the Game Center install file didn't default to a C:/Program Files isntall path with no way to change it.

It can't be installed anywhere else?

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
509 posts
8,197 battles

I've been using WGC for months because I played both WoT and WoWS. Never had any issues with it. I genuinely don't understand what people don't like about it, it's not slow, it doesn't crash, it doesn't impact performance (except when updating but installing things usually does that). It's just a unified launcher.

[ST-EU]
Supertest Coordinator
225 posts
9,759 battles

Yes, it can be installed in another place than the default location. But initially, it will install to C:\Program Files from the installation file I got from the mail.

To move it, I did the following:

- Copy the installed directory from C:\Program Files to some other place. Doesn't matter, you'll delete it later. Desktop is fine.

- Uninstall the application through Add/Remove Programs in Windows.

- Go to your saved directory copy of the WGC and run the 'setup' program.

- You now should get a Installation location box where you can point to where ever you want it to install  (as well as Dx options I didn't get when I first installed it)

- Wait a bit and it moves to the spot where you want it.

- Delete the copied folder.

• Cool 1

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Players
257 posts
10,332 battles
5 hours ago, Verblonde said:

I avoided using the thing early on as all the reports said it was buggy as hell.

However, the ability to use multiple servers with a single install would be very useful (I play WOT on both the NA and EU servers, for a start) - does anyone know how the thing works, in terms of what actually gets installed? i.e. I currently have WOWS, plus two instances of WOT; with the new thing, would that drop to one of each, or would I get one of each, *plus* WOW (say)?

Thanks in advance.

No its still needs one installation per server. You cant really change it since the patch distribution isnt the same for all server (no idea about WoT). But on the other hand you start the launcher and everything will be updated and you can easily change in a small drop down menu which client you want to play.

• Cool 1

Players
815 posts
13,052 battles

I considered about replying to @Ced23Ric but @EdiJo summed up the rationale behind the unwillingness of some to have WGC force-fed. It still baffles me the fact that, being an IT guy by his own confession, he avoids mentioning some things that sensible system administrators do:

• Limit the number of processes/services/daemons running at the same time to the bare minimum without compromising the machine. Currently, the standalone launcher only works the moment you launch it and closes itself right after calling the client executable.
  • Avoid installing untested/not enough tested versions of any software. He cited the case of Luna desktop in XP, but there were other more profound changes and vulnerabilities (e.g. Blaster/Sasser) in that system that kept away users from Windows 98 and NT alike, not some make-up to the GUI, at the early stages of distribution. This can't be done with WoWS or any other WG title even in their current state, unfortunately (you need the latest patch in order to play), but at least, thanks to how the launcher works, you can wait (hence not wasting time and bandwidth) if you have the patience to take a look at the forums and see if there's a serious issue (client crashes on 0.7.2 rings a bell?).
  • Schedule your patches/updates so they don't interfere with other work. I've suffered since the introduction of Windows 10 quite the number of customers that don't like having their desktops (some of them are very low-end by current standards) lag due to Microsoft's current updating policy, with some of them preferring the old method of scheduling at night to such an extent that they insisted in making a clean Windows 7 install on their machines (after the customary backup of anything deemed important).
  • Don't keep all your eggs in one basket, i.e. always have a backup/alternative method for accessing the information/services. For example, you don't configure a single repository for a Linux distro if you're sensible enough. Steam has improved a lot, but you still get half the developed world scream in agony if their servers have to go offline for whatever reason.

In a sense, what companies are trying to do is going back to the mainframe-terminal model, centralising every aspect of the content they provide and forcing the user to be actively online, thus obtaining data and metadata to be monetised.

Salute.

P.S.: I've read the Reddit post and some parts of it rang an alarm bell. Well, it's "stronk programmink" PR at its finest, I shouldn't be that surprised.

• Cool 4

Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
16 hours ago, Ced23Ric said:

It's always the same, in every game, every piece of programming: People hate change.

People hated Microsoft Office 2010, people hated Windows XP's Luna shell, people hated the changes to Adobe's Creative Suite, people hated when [some F2P game] changed their launcher, too. People hat change and they will [edited] and moan and complain and cuss and threaten and nothing, absolutely nothing will stop progress. Those people are a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the userbase. Less than 10% of players read the forums, out of which less than 10% write in it, out of which less than 10% write regularly, out of which less than 10% write to complain about the new launcher, but because there's so few people even posting, it all seems like a big echo chamber, or as if polls matter - even 1000 votes on a poll, which you won't get, are meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

And the new launcher does what the old one does: Sit in the background, keeps your games up to date, serves as a unified, single point of contact content-delivery endnode. Like Steam, UPlay, Origin, GoG Galaxy, etc. pp. - you can all stop trying your hardest to sound like grumpy old men on rocking chairs waving their canes on the porch. The current iteration of the WGC works well, works quickly, works quietly, and has little to no additional load on your system, but allows WG.net to free up developer time to focus on other parts of their software landscape, while only a dedicated team remains to update the WGC for all departments. It's economically sound, it's user-friendly, and it's - like many other software provider's solutions - the right way forward.

But people hate change, and so they will pull the thinnest bullcrap out of their butts to validate their fears. I heard someone complain that this software would drive up his electricity bill. Spyware, "better be safe than sorry", because WG.net doesn't have so much data about you anyway and you consented to all of it, and if the major scanners come up clean do you really think that you, someone that can barely operate these magical typewriters, has a better grasp about what's spyware? Kneejerk reactions, half-wisdoms and hollow threats.

there is a reason i dont play ubisoft and EA titles anymore. care to guess why? and i liked some ubisoft and EA titles.

i was one of the people who played CS when Valve introduced steam. do you know why i hated steam then? cause it wasted my resources on low-mid level computer for only one game. it wasted ~100 of RAM when 512MB RAM was normal for gamers. 20% of the memory of my computer then. it was one of the reasons why i was forced to upgrade my computer then. nowadays it is manageable with it only taking 200-300MB out of 8GB RAM for ~50 games in my library.

reasons i dont like WGC is cause it is adware (maybe even spyware). and it didnt work properly when i had to reinstall WOWS last time. it stopped in middle of download and nothing helped. but delivery of ads for premium shop worked perfectly. i dont need another "steam" on my computer for only 1 game when i already have it managing other ~50 games. nor do i need adware when i just want to play the game.

and it is not if WG introduces the WGC i will stop playing the game. but it may be final drop for me since WG has made too many questionable decisions...

• Cool 2

[GOE]
Players
1,647 posts
6,850 battles

Well, if the information from the german froum is right...

...you, your PC and your internet connection will be used as seeder to torrent around your game data and very likly even more - and you can't disable it.

Thats what probably made my Security kick in when I installed the spyware...ehm gaming center.

So yeah... Lets see what happends on "T-Day"... I mean they have*edited* you in the E-Mail to install it.

If it is really forced on that patch day then *edited* spend my money and time somewhere else"

Edited by NickMustaine
Inappropriate remarks
  • Cool 2

Players
323 posts
5,436 battles
8 hours ago, RicardoRetardo said:

No you will not leave, keyboard warrior..........

That remark fits you like a glove.

Its a retarded remark, fitting for a retard with retard in the user name.

• Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Players
2,284 posts
10,497 battles
Alle 8/3/2018 alle 01:50, Mandalorianer ha scritto:

Well, if the information from the german froum is right...

...you, your PC and your internet connection will be used as seeder to torrent around your game data and very likly even more - and you can't disable it.

Thats what probably made my Security kick in when I installed the spyware...ehm gaming center.

So yeah... Lets see what happends on "T-Day"... I mean they have*edited* you in the E-Mail to install it.

If it is really forced on that patch day then "*edited*  I spend my money and time somewhere else"

Well [edited], that is a big nono.

And since some people like to call us old fools for not embracing change, I'd really love to know what that change makes better for me. Because if there's nothing, I fail to see how my grumpiness is unsubstantiated.

Let's see: I don't play (or intend to play) other WG games or even other instances (no time). Current launcher updates and launches WoWs just fine. I don't read news on the launcher, that's what the webpage is for. I start the launcher when I want to play the game, not read or watch stuff. Is it running in the background even when I play the game any beneficial to me? Can't see how it would be.

So, as of right now, can't find anything good it would bring me. Yet it will require me to install it, it will require me to learn it, it will require me to police it (so that it doesn't keep running constantly when i have no need for it - enough crap keeps running as it is while unneeded). Small issues perhaps, but they add up to take time.

• Cool 5