You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrFingers

Au revoir, you old standalone launcher. The "Wargaming Game Center" will be forced upon us all in the near future

283 comments in this topic

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,797 posts

And I don't want that buggy piece of badly written code on my computer. I had it once, and it bogged everything down. So that means a forced abandoning of WoWS then?

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

Have little over 100 days of premum left so, yes?

[DPRK]
Beta Tester
297 posts

As World of Warships sails closer to the third anniversary of its release, we're preparing not only to celebrate, but also to further improve some of our infrastructure. The game itself has evolved quite significantly since launch, with not just the appearance of new ships and maps, but also new game modes, battle types, mechanics and metagaming systems being introduced. Throughout this time our game launcher has remained unchanged, serving as the gangway by which everyone comes onboard for their daily dose of naval combat. However, while this piece of software has served us well through its very basic functionality, it’s time for it to evolve. As such, in the relatively near future, within the next few updates, our support for the old launcher infrastructure will end, with all of our players transitioning to our new launcher, the Wargaming Game Center.

The change will come in two stages, the first of which we are currently in: we'll be informing you about new Game Center features and the phasing out of support for the old game launchers, giving you and other players the necessary time to prepare and get acquainted with the new software. The second phase will consist of a patch, which will automatically transform the old launcher you are using into the new Wargaming Game Center. You can expect more information about these changes in the following weeks, so keep your eyes open!

We know that change is often challenging, so we want to ease the transition by making it worth your while! As we come closer to T-Day ('T' for transition!), expect a token of appreciation to be added to the accounts of those users who move across to the Game Center early. Keep your eyes open for further information, but in the meantime, consider installing the Wargaming Game Center straight away to stay ahead of the pack.

So WG wants to lock me out of the game if i refuse to use that bloated up bugged piece of crap instead of the fully functional launcher i have atm?

How long can you refund on Paypal again? 6 months?

• Cool 4

[BYOB]
Players
3,831 posts
15,689 battles

There's a word for that in German, it's "verschlimmbessern". It means "to make something worse while trying to improve it".

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1

[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,199 posts
5,660 battles

I installed the WGC recently because I wanted to try Total War Arena. 

It's not as bad as I thought, it seems to have improved greatly since some of my friends used it at the beginning.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
1,929 posts
5,391 battles
9 minutes ago, NoirLotus said:

I installed the WGC recently because I wanted to try Total War Arena. 

It's not as bad as I thought, it seems to have improved greatly since some of my friends used it at the beginning.

How much doubloons did they transfer to your account for that statement?

• Funny 6

[CATS]
Players
20,479 posts
12,546 battles

I am happy with my Launcher. It works fine.

Heard too much bad stuff about the Game Center and do not want it.

• Cool 10

[DUBO]
Players
63 posts

I actually like wgc, and no, I am not paid to say so.

I guess they could just leave the old launcher as is and stop maintaining it, then when it does not workany more, ppl will have to change.

It is funny how this community is adverse to change, sometimes I think most players are betwen 80 and 110 years old. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

I must say, even tho it might not be popular, I used it for 6-7 months last year and had 0 issues.

YMMV I guess.

• Cool 1

Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles
Alle 8/2/2018 alle 16:04, Aragathor ha scritto:

There's a word for that in German, it's "verschlimmbessern". It means "to make something worse while trying to improve it".

Or "Kaputt reparieren" - "fixing something until it is broken"

Oy mate @MrConway keep*edited* "gaming center" - I don't need spyware!

Edited by NickMustaine
Inappropriate remarks

[SPRKS]
Alpha Tester
29 posts
1,286 battles

It's already been forced on my. However, I just launch the games straight from the executable (eg: "C:\Games\World_of_Warships\WorldOfWarships.exe") in the taskbar and only use the game center for updates, not allowing it to run in the background. I've found that that's an acceptable way of doing things.

• Cool 2

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
Just now, Egoleter said:

In that case it will be goodbye WoWs for me. This is a decision I can not and will not support.

Hum, judging by the consensus in the few posts here...

Have been telling it now for months they are trying to put this baby down.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,905 posts
17,009 battles

Have to be honest, I'm probably one of the few guys here who have never experienced any problems with the game center?

I mean for me it's just switching from one launcher to another and I have more than enough harddrive space to spare.

I can understand others taking issues with this however.

• Cool 6

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,922 battles

Yeah, how about no?

Current standalone launcher does exactly the thing it needs to do, launch the game, link to latest portal news and update. And with me not playing any other WG games, the hell do I need a combined launcher for that?

• Cool 13

[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,199 posts
5,660 battles
24 minutes ago, Blixies said:

How much doubloons did they transfer to your account for that statement?

Nothing for now, but they'd better do !! :Smile-_tongue:

You know it's basically a single launcher for the 4 games. It downloads the updates automatically  (so if you use mods, you are less likely to notice the update and play without them) and as you are identified in the WGC, you skip the authentication screen when launching a game (save for WoT where you still have to choose your server). And strangely, it doesn't support the test server.

It's certainly not the greatest game center but  I saw far worse (yeah I'm talking about you Ubisoft). If you need a reason to leave the game, find a real one !

[MIAU]
Players
3,510 posts
1 minute ago, Juanx said:

Hum, judging by the consensus in the few posts here...

Have been telling it now for months they are trying to put this baby down.

I don't actually care what others say or what WGs intentions behind it are.

Fact is:

I do not need bloatware on my system. Ever.

I said so several times since the WGC was introduced. I also said back then what consequences it will have if they try to force it on me. Unlike others, I am a man of my word. I will leave the moment they disable the old launcher.

• Cool 2

Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles
1 minute ago, ForlornSailor said:

Care to elaborate?

At least 2 programs I use to keep my rig clean don't like that gaming center and designate it as Mal/Spyware.

[SPRKS]
Alpha Tester
29 posts
1,286 battles
8 minutes ago, Mandalorianer said:

At least 2 programs I use to keep my rig clean don't like that gaming center and designate it as Mal/Spyware.

That's interesting, since neither Malwarebytes nor Bitdefender find it to be a threat. You may be getting false positives, but for greater assurance maybe upload the files to Virustotal for a full check.

Players
1,647 posts
7,138 battles
9 minutes ago, Clefspeare13 said:

That's interesting, since neither Malwarebytes nor Bitdefender find it to be a threat. You may be getting false positives, but for greater assurance maybe upload the files to Virustotal for a full check.

Maybe but better save than sorry.

Players
1 post
1,405 battles
43 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

I don't actually care what others say or what WGs intentions behind it are.

Fact is:

I do not need bloatware on my system. Ever.

I said so several times since the WGC was introduced. I also said back then what consequences it will have if they try to force it on me. Unlike others, I am a man of my word. I will leave the moment they disable the old launcher.

No you will not leave, keyboard warrior..........

• Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,911 posts
9,252 battles

Not at all happy because I've heard horror stories.  People can't launch games and WG support basically does nothing about it.  This is why, for example, I never even tried WoWP.

[MIAU]
Players
3,510 posts
7 minutes ago, RicardoRetardo said:

No you will not leave, keyboard warrior..........

Sure, first time poster. You know me so well.

Oh wait... No. You don't know me at all.