You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SeaWolf7

Abruzzi...Ap and general thoughts...

26 comments in this topic

[BS4]
Players
881 posts
5,487 battles

Greetings Guys....

So those of you who bit the bullet and purchased one of the nicest looking ships in the game......How are you finding her so far?

This ship has many good points and after playing her don't believe she deserved the ...well negative overall picture she got....I mean she's fast and manoeuvrable, (nearly 37 knots with sierra mike flag!!) she a really good kiter and gets away from trouble fast when needed, doges torps nicely and a good DD hunter, has repair so in all good survival skills IMO. Seems to bounce shells well when angled from cl and dd's rounds.

which brings me to my next point:

The guns.... the not so good point.....

On an up note I believe the fire chance was changed from 3% to 7% upon release which is certainly a difference when it comes to its HE shells and they can be faily effective because of the short reload times, I've burnt down quite a few bb's whilst kiting away and at this method she is somewhat effective at but its a shame all guns can not come in to effect as the angles on the turrets are poor and ask you to show way too much broadside to get them all into effect. Do this to a BB and well.....

The AP rounds:

:etc_red_button:

nIQX0ZM.gif 152 mm proiettili AP 

ISSAA PROIETTILIIIIIIIIIIYYYA!

...I mean we know its Italian but Christ!!

It's woefully underpowered in this area for its tier 7 place even though wg stated its effective against other cruisers I can assure you its not....bounce after bounce. It needs to be in close to be effective in its Ap with is suicidal when against other cl's of its tier which have say 203mm rounds (like the French, American Japanese and well everyone apart from Rn Cl but even they have special type rounds with shorter fuse detonation and better penetration values..)

In short I believe the developers were confused on which shells to use and chose these:

Ubi12y3.jpg

probably for a laugh with the intension of buffing later? Because you couldn't be that stupid right?:Smile_amazed:

So over all I believe if this ship is tweaked in the right areas (AA included and perhaps not make that citadel so high above the waterline..) for its tier you will have one of the nicest cruisers in the game and will sell like bloody hot cakes. (talk about doing your self out of money WG)

When you do get a good game its immensely satisfying for some reason because you really really have to work at it to make it effective but at the moment for me they are way to few and far between....and I get the impression few have the patience tbh....

So how do you find her so far?

Regards

Wolf

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,563 posts
8,256 battles

Without question the worst premium ship in the game, including Mikasa.

No redeeming qualities at all. A standard repair on a really bad ship does nothing to save it.

Guns are incredibly bad in every situation except at very close range with AP.

The ship is fragile and slow to turn. And while it might be fast, it makes little difference  on a ship with no offensive or defensive capabilities.

It's not even stealthy.

It would require extensive buffs to get on par with any of the other tier 7 cruisers.

The guns need to become substantially better to even pass as meh weapons.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

[CATS]
Players
15,923 posts
11,172 battles

I do not have her, but statswise the AP is weaker than on Duca d'Aosta (she has faster shells), which in turn are slightly weaker than RU 152mm AP.

On the other hand the shells are still stronger than german 150mm AP which is considered good.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,563 posts
8,256 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

On the other hand the shells are still stronger than german 150mm AP which is considered good.

"Stronger"

Better pen perhaps, but worse ballistics (lower velocity), worse damage and hilariously bad rate of fire.

De Grasse AP DPM: 220k (<-- tier 6)

Abruzzi AP DPM: 248k

Shchors AP DPM: 297k

Helena AP DPM: 339k

Nürnberg AP DPM: 351k (<-- tier 6)

That's comparing Abruzzi's "strongest" shell, which obviously becomes practically useless at range. Switch to HE and the comparison isn't even on the same scale.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,563 posts
8,256 battles
7 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Well, the thread is about penetration power and bounces. I did not compare DPM.

How did you come to that conclusion?

Talking about CL AP as main damage is like talking about BB HE as main damage. It only really works for one nation.

Aside from RN CLs, the only nation with good enough 150-152mm AP to use other than at close range is RU.

[CATS]
Players
15,923 posts
11,172 battles

Because he said so.

And yes, GER CL and Mogami can use AP at longer range too. Aim for the superstructure.

[BS4]
Players
881 posts
5,487 battles
1 hour ago, Nechrom said:

The ship is fragile and slow to turn. And while it might be fast, it makes little difference  on a ship with no offensive or defensive capabilities.

It's not even stealthy.

Yes its fragile like most cruisers, but a rudder shift time of 7.1 sec with steering gears modification its not SLOW to turn, that's 0.2 sec of a Fiji?!

It has torpedo protection and 16%to damage reduction to this area.

Concealment comes down to 9.8 km I believe with concealment expert. its currently @10.8 with camo??? HOW is that not stealthy?!!

Agreed the guns are not great and they need buffing badly for her tier but worst premium ship......Really?

Come on man you've played 5 games in her .....

[NOHE]
[NOHE]
Players
239 posts
5,227 battles

Proiettili means bullet in Italian.

Source: The italian support in battlefield 1 constantly says it when you resupply teammates.

I'm bored.

Players
1,066 posts
5,709 battles

I find her pretty decent and even fun ship. Had better games with her than Algerie or Myoko tbh. It depends highly on teamwork and support from others plus it is more of a long range HE spammer.

AP is underwhelming though. It works under 10 km and since its weird trajectory you have to aim 2 pixels above the waterline to get those cits. Otherwise you will miss everytime.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
1,307 posts
14,657 battles

Its ok much better IMO then aosta on t6 that has 8 guns and is made of wet toilet paper, heal isnt much but at least u can heal back a bit of that first mistake, in aosta its one mistake and you re beyond hope

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,197 posts
14,454 battles
3 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

rudder shift

Rudder shift does not characterize turning speed. What is actually relevant is speed of the ship in a turn, drift and the turning circle.

3 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Torp protection is a useless stat for damage mitigation as taking a hit to the bow and stern always cuts torpedo damage in half due to damage saturation (unless ofc the torp deals less damage than what is needed to saturate, which would be rather low to say the least). Also taking citadel damage, which a torp hit to the belt would result in, is undesirable with heal. This means that generally speaking you want to take torps on the extremeties to minimize damage (and maximize heal value if you have it). Only take torps on the belt if you want to reduce the chance of flooding.

I don't have the Abruzzi and frankly I couldn't care less about her, I'm just here to clarify things.

Players
341 posts
8,137 battles
3 hours ago, ImperialAdmiral said:

I find her pretty decent and even fun ship. Had better games with her than Algerie or Myoko tbh. It depends highly on teamwork and support from others plus it is more of a long range HE spammer.

AP is underwhelming though. It works under 10 km and since its weird trajectory you have to aim 2 pixels above the waterline to get those cits. Otherwise you will miss everytime.

Is that what I was doing wrong then cause I was finding the Abruzzi really bad at getting citadels, in situations where in the D'Aosta I would get 2-4 citadels in 1 salvo the Abruzzi in the exact same situation took 6 salvos to get 1 citadel, I even had a situation that I was unable to citadel a Leander in it until he was 2.5km from me full broadside (I had broadside shots at 10km, 6km & 4km before), If I was in the D'Aosta I would have got him easily at 10km.

I get on well with the ship but there are times that I wish I was in the D'Aosta, basically the only improvements I think it needs are getting the AP as reliable as on the D'Aosta and reducing the rudder-shift time to the same as the D'Aosta, cause multiple times in close engagements I have thought I would have dodged that salvo and then killed the enemy if I was in the D'Aosta.

I think it is historical that the AP muzzle velocity was lower on the Abruzzi but it just makes it feel disappointing in game when you miss out on those broadside shots that is the main area the Italian ships seem to excel in. And I don't know why that the turning circle is less on it than the D'Aosta despite it being longer while the rudder-shift is longer despite there to be no real reason that it should be different as they were fairly similar designs?

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,900 posts
7,365 battles
6 hours ago, Nechrom said:

Without question the worst premium ship in the game, including Mikasa.

Wait how can you really say that?!

Have you even played the ship? That heal does actually carry the ship! Its exceptionally good at open water kiting and because of that heal she can shrug off a mistake or two more than most cruisers and can even overpower some tier 8s in staying power due to that heal alone. Saying the armor is bad doesnt really make sense considering no same tier cruiser really has a strong layout save for Myoko maybe, even then Abruzzis spaced armor with no weakspots like Algerie can actually hold its own when used correctly.

If you know how to play a ship with heal to its fullest, 4 charges easily give you 65% more HP to work with. If you know how to spend your HP as a resource the impact on your game will be much higher than that of a ship that lacks the heal and cant dictate the engagements the same way.

Abruzzi became my overnight fav mid tier premium due to this single fact, sure HE and AP is rather lacking, but 60% better staying power when played correctly is more than worth trading it for... 

Edit: I forgot to mention how much versatility heal gives you, to put it short I play Abruzzi like a tier 7 Hburg and it works amazingly.

Players
1,066 posts
5,709 battles
58 minutes ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

Is that what I was doing wrong then cause I was finding the Abruzzi really bad at getting citadels, in situations where in the D'Aosta I would get 2-4 citadels in 1 salvo the Abruzzi in the exact same situation took 6 salvos to get 1 citadel, I even had a situation that I was unable to citadel a Leander in it until he was 2.5km from me full broadside (I had broadside shots at 10km, 6km & 4km before), If I was in the D'Aosta I would have got him easily at 10km.

I get on well with the ship but there are times that I wish I was in the D'Aosta, basically the only improvements I think it needs are getting the AP as reliable as on the D'Aosta and reducing the rudder-shift time to the same as the D'Aosta, cause multiple times in close engagements I have thought I would have dodged that salvo and then killed the enemy if I was in the D'Aosta.

I think it is historical that the AP muzzle velocity was lower on the Abruzzi but it just makes it feel disappointing in game when you miss out on those broadside shots that is the main area the Italian ships seem to excel in. And I don't know why that the turning circle is less on it than the D'Aosta despite it being longer while the rudder-shift is longer despite there to be no real reason that it should be different as they were fairly similar designs?

True, D'Aosta's AP is way better but really by aiming slightly higher you will start getting those citadels. You really need to experiment a bit and get used to it. By far it is the ship with the weirdest performing AP.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,563 posts
8,256 battles
6 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Yes its fragile like most cruisers, but a rudder shift time of 7.1 sec with steering gears modification its not SLOW to turn, that's 0.2 sec of a Fiji?!

Concealment comes down to 9.8 km I believe with concealment expert. its currently @10.8 with camo??? HOW is that not stealthy?!!

Agreed the guns are not great and they need buffing badly for her tier but worst premium ship......Really?

Come on man you've played 5 games in her .....

Okay, it's not bad just mediocre in turning. Better than IJN worse than RN. Turning circle of 680m.

Didn't say the concealment was bad, just nothing special. It's no Belfast.

There's a reason I didn't play her more.

Not being able to impact battles is a huge problem. I can deal with a certain level of weak offensive ability like with Eugen, Tirpitz or Hood, but Abruzzi is in a completely different league.

Players
607 posts
7,330 battles

I like it a lot. I have a 14 point captain with DE, CD and IFHE and she is quite practical. I don't think much of any of the Tier 7 cruisers and she fits in well with that mediocrity. Not as tough as Myoko, but with heal and torpedo protection she is quite survivable. She is a passable damage dealer with HE and the troll torpedoes are almost worth buying the ship. They are so slow and so long ranges you can have 2 sets of torpedoes in the water from the same launcher at the same time. 

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,563 posts
8,256 battles
2 hours ago, Affeks said:

but 60% better staying power when played correctly is more than worth trading it for... 

"Played correctly" assumes you don't get overmatched and citadelled through the stern for damage you pretty much can't repair.

Only the bow has armor worth talking about, and the citadel is so tall.

[NOCAP]
Players
329 posts
13,240 battles
16 hours ago, Nechrom said:

Talking about CL AP as main damage is like talking about BB HE as main damage. It only really works for one nation.

Aside from RN CLs, the only nation with good enough 150-152mm AP to use other than at close range is RU.

Don't make me laugh... If only you were as experienced as you act, you would know that CL's such as Cleveland hits battlesheep for 6-8k in closer ranges. 4-6k At long distances. AP is still AP.

10 hours ago, Affeks said:

Abruzzi became my overnight fav mid tier premium due to this single fact, sure HE and AP is rather lacking, but 60% better staying power when played correctly is more than worth trading it for... 

There we go, someone had learned the ways of the Penne-navy :Smile_glasses:

She had become one of my most loved cruisers, got her during the summer-sale. I do not have hundreds of battles in it just yet because of the on-going clan-wars season, and when I am not in clan-wars, we run tier 10 divisions mostly. But when I have a moment I sail her out because she is pure gold. Speed - brilliant. Rudder shift - brilliant. Turns like a champ. And the guns are fantastic. Only the Y turret disappoints as you cannot use it at an extreme angles, so you have to work the other three only. It was surprising how easily she dodges shells with minimal input and planning.

As soon as the season is over I will spend more time with her because I feel she might have an incredibly high skill ceiling. NOTE: All of the battles are lone battles, not in a division. 

image.thumb.png.dd8cb8edcb98de0fc3a450962e0b434c.png

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,563 posts
8,256 battles
2 hours ago, OttoZander said:

Don't make me laugh... If only you were as experienced as you act, you would know that CL's such as Cleveland hits battlesheep for 6-8k in closer ranges. 4-6k At long distances. AP is still AP.

Of course. That's why everyone shoots AP all the time with their CL. Those heavy volleys that aren't at all 80% bounces/shatters/overpens. :fish_palm:

At close range against broadsides you can make anything work. Doesn't say much.

[HOME]
Beta Tester
1,900 posts
7,365 battles
15 hours ago, Nechrom said:

"Played correctly" assumes you don't get overmatched and citadelled through the stern for damage you pretty much can't repair.

Only the bow has armor worth talking about, and the citadel is so tall.

"Played correctly" means accelerating and weaving as to not be an easy target to either pen, broadside citadel or bow in citadel. Even then 30% cit repair is more than enough if you keep it to 1-2 citadels per game, which is more than doable mind you. "Played correctly" does not mean sit bow in and expect to tank like a BB. Abruzzi can dodge better than Algerie while also getting a heal. When youre consistently getting 1-2 mill potential damage is when shes played correctly.

• Cool 1

[BS4]
Players
881 posts
5,487 battles
On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 4:34 AM, OttoZander said:

. And the guns are fantastic. Only the Y turret disappoints as you cannot use it at an extreme angles,

As soon as the season is over I will spend more time with her because I feel she might have an incredibly high skill ceiling. NOTE: All of the battles are lone battles, not in a division. 

image.thumb.png.dd8cb8edcb98de0fc3a450962e0b434c.png

Have to disagree with you there my friend. (but looking at that avge damage ...dam man)

The fact you have to show way more broadside than you should just to get that dam gun to work is poor and the penetration values of the AP is MUCH LOWER than any other tier 7 cruiser plus the fact the shells are only 152 mm not the 203mm rounds on ALL other tier 7 cruisers.(exp RNL)

I don't know What WG were thinking but these AP rounds need to be brought in line with the rest@ tier 7 urgently.....If you play the Aleirie and compare it...its ridiculous.

[NOCAP]
Players
329 posts
13,240 battles
12 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Have to disagree with you there my friend. (but looking at that avge damage ...dam man)

The fact you have to show way more broadside than you should just to get that dam gun to work is poor and the penetration values of the AP is MUCH LOWER than any other tier 7 cruiser plus the fact the shells are only 152 mm not the 203mm rounds on ALL other tier 7 cruisers.(exp RNL)

I don't know What WG were thinking but these AP rounds need to be brought in line with the rest@ tier 7 urgently.....If you play the Aleirie and compare it...its ridiculous.

Well, I will have to disagree back :Smile_glasses: Because to be fair you rarely use it with such a great kiter and harraser, and if I am in a position where I must, it does the job. The alpha strike is low and unpredictable, yes, but what the hell, she exceeds in other areas. You just have to click with the ship. I clicked very well. 

[TOXIC]
Players
1,343 posts
17,268 battles
19 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

... plus the fact the shells are only 152 mm not the 203mm rounds on ALL other tier 7 cruisers.(exp RNL)

Well except UK duo, Fiji and Belfast, there were Helena, Boise/9dJ and Shchors with 152mm guns at T7 so Abruzzi is far from being unique in that part. Stat wise she is not bad, only trailing US and UK CLs but still better than all CAs at T7.