Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
invicta2012

Mucking around with French Cruisers

14 comments in this topic

Players
1,219 posts
7,651 battles

According to the Dev blog for the release of Public Test 0.7.8 French Cruisers from Tier VI upwards will be tweaked so that they have the Main Gun Reload Booster Consumable. 

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/public-test/bulletin-078/

This gives you a 50% reduction in the reload time of your guns. But... the base reload time of the French Tier VIII and IX ships will be increased to ensure they are not made OP by this consumable.

Obviously it's PTS, but this doesn't sound much use. It'll give Algerie two extra salvos every two minutes, which will be a great help when the act of firing the guns causes every BB on the map to target you in the hope of a quick citadel. 

MGRB might make a nice booster for La Gal, but really it should really be used to balance destroyers, not buff cruisers that are being powercrept.

What heavy cruisers really need is an improvement in their overall concealment and detectability after firing a salvo. Light cruisers can hide behind islands, they get smoke, radar, and a rate of fire which shreds anything silly enough to get into their range. CA's get a smidge of armour (which makes things worse, usually) and have to put up with being as detectable after firing as BBs with twice their displacement and gun calibre. Having some punchy 8" guns isn't much of an advantage when all the other classes see you as the priority target. If the detection time was based on gun calibre (Calibre in inches + 6 seconds, so 14 rather than the current 20 seconds for Algerie) it would make a real difference and be much more useful than some dodgy consumable. 

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
4,110 posts
7,848 battles

dunno, sounds plenty juicy on a Henri to me, with its murderously good AP... and the other frenchies, when played well, are also good at getting into those sweet flanking spots on occasion, and then pumping a few extra AP shots into that broadside is tasty^^

I mean, I'm not saying this is a super strong consumable that would make these ships totally overpowered all on its own - but it doesnt need to. The ships were solid already (at least for me when I played them, too lazy to look up stats), and this just adds a little bit of flavour and a neat tool without taking them over the top. Sounds pretty good to me...

[JRM]
Players
1,312 posts
14,668 battles

I dont Like it instead of continuous decent damage output you get mediocre or worse base value and u offset it with Bursts of high dpm, has maybee some merit on some bbs if its Balanced but on cas idk...  gamplay will be Like go twards good position Wait Wait Wait then punch speed booster and reload booster (unless they make them fit the same slot) dish out as much damage as u can (still less then desmo most likely) and run away to Wait out cooldown

Players
1,219 posts
7,651 battles
20 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

dunno, sounds plenty juicy on a Henri to me, with its murderously good AP... and the other frenchies, when played well, are also good at getting into those sweet flanking spots on occasion, and then pumping a few extra AP shots into that broadside is tasty^^

Great if it works on that ship, but the issues of Tiers VI and VII are about being a cruiser without smoke in open water, and this won't do much to help that. You have to dodge, pray to the RNGesus, and drift around on the periphery hoping to make a contribution. 

• Cool 1

Players
934 posts
4,242 battles

I'm intrigued. On one hand, it's an interesting new consumable/mechanic but on the other, it's another Cr.22,500 to spend on re-equipping the ship after each battle. I'm currently downloading the PTS client so it'll be something to try out.

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,101 posts
14,384 battles

From the page:

"French cruisers joined the fleet more than a year ago and won players' hearts right away."

Ha. Ha. Ha.

"They deserved this affection because of their effective artillery, long range torpedoes"

Yes, seriously! These are words that someone has written!

"high speed for their type"

What a strange way to say that they barely outstrip the Russians and Japanese at the best of times without the speed boost.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles
2 hours ago, dasCKD said:

From the page:

"French cruisers joined the fleet more than a year ago and won players' hearts right away."

Ha. Ha. Ha.

"They deserved this affection because of their effective artillery, long range torpedoes"

What a strange way to say that they barely outstrip the Russians and Japanese at the best of times without the speed boost.

-They do seem to be popular (especially at t5...t8)

-Their guns are pretty damn effective, the "long range torps" is a little more questionable, but then again 9km isn't short

-DDs struggle to run away from them, plenty straight up can't do it. They are damn fast

Players
184 posts
5,374 battles

I enjoyed Algerie but I'm having a lot of problems figuring out the meaning of Charles Martel. It's giving me Nurnberg flashbacks with the amount of citadel action I'm getting. Not sure if the reload module is really going to help with that.

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,101 posts
14,384 battles
8 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

-They do seem to be popular (especially at t5...t8)

Maybe they do now, but save for the British cruisers I don't recall any line of ships catching more flak than the French cruisers with the possible exception of the British cruiser's first iteration. To say that they captured the player's hearts right away is the kind of generous that donates all of their organs by the age of 20 whilst the donor is still living.

-Their guns are pretty damn effective, the "long range torps" is a little more questionable, but then again 9km isn't short

Their guns are adequate in all respects and every single French gun has at least 1 glaring flaw that a contemporary of theirs does not possess.

-DDs struggle to run away from them, plenty straight up can't do it. They are damn fast

With the speed boost maybe. Without it, their speed is unexceptional and often not even best in class.

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,234 posts
3,385 battles
13 hours ago, dasCKD said:

From the page:

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Most people like them fine, yeah.

Yeah, pretty damn effective artillery, my avgdamages are way up with them.

That one IS questionable, yes, although...

9 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

[...]

...I give you:

Emile

M-F'ing

Bertin

Try running away from that one in a DD in its tier spread.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles
7 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

...I give you:

Emile

M-F'ing

Bertin

That's what I mostly did while grinding through it, just find a DD and run them down, the DD is hopeless :Smile_teethhappy: Even better - you can keep going in a straight broadside line, all shells drop behind you anyway :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,527 posts
14,979 battles
3 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

That's what I mostly did while grinding through it, just find a DD and run them down, the DD is hopeless :Smile_teethhappy: Even better - you can keep going in a straight broadside line, all shells drop behind you anyway :Smile_trollface:

That's also why Emile occasionally makes an awesome proto-DD in extreme emergencies. Nerfed and all, I still like that ship. :cap_like:

Players
1,019 posts
7,776 battles
24 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

Most people like them fine, yeah.

Yeah, pretty damn effective artillery, my avgdamages are way up with them.

That one IS questionable, yes, although...

...I give you:

Emile

M-F'ing

Bertin

About a week after the French CL/CA line landed, I ran into an Emile Bertin in my V170.

Launched my torps, she evades. No problem, I'll just run into concealment. Hold on, not gaining any distance. Wait, now she's closing in. Gunning me down, torps reloading in 40 seconds.

I have never felt so helpless in this game.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,234 posts
3,385 battles
55 minutes ago, jss78 said:

About a week after the French CL/CA line landed, I ran into an Emile Bertin in my V170.

Launched my torps, she evades. No problem, I'll just run into concealment. Hold on, not gaining any distance. Wait, now she's closing in. Gunning me down, torps reloading in 40 seconds.

I have never felt so helpless in this game.

A few months ago (so well after I finished going through french midtiers), I'm testing a DD. Enemy Emile is on my side of the map. No problem, I'll just drop into concelment and run away from it. Or so I thought. The only reason I survived was because I could keep him away by way of speedboosting for just long enough so that my allies could kill him, but if the chase had gone on for another minute, he would have gotten me.

Sign in to follow this