Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blixies

Moskva - tips plox

17 comments in this topic

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,342 posts
4,206 battles

Yo guys, I'm new to Moskva and struggling with her a fair bit (although my average dmg isnt that bad).
The horrible concelament is something I'm not comfortable with and I feel very vulnerable.
Especially at the begginings of the match - I have never seen my Priority Target go so high so fast - all the freaking time.
If I try to stay away and passive at the start, my team often melts without me doing my job as top tier. 

Could you throw me some general tips on how to play her?

Any advice would be mucho appreciado!
So far, in those few games I've had I tried nose tanking mostly... but tbh it feels very wrong to use such a fast cruiser like that... On the other hand, I'm spotted all the time and the citadel is huge.

What is the correct way to go about it?

My stats so far aren't that bad, but I really don't know what I'm doing while playing this ship - a feeling quite unique for me in WOWs. So it's more lik begginers luck than anything else.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.40b0558a0f13484e96d32c8da3492483.png

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,230 posts
6,768 battles

Don't bow tank. Only use that tactic at close range or when there are only a few enemies that can't really hurts you. Moskva goes 35 knots, use it as a roaming cruiser, by stuffing AP on broadside targets and HE on everything else. Play as a long range spammer, exactly like Donskoi previously. The terrible concealment doesn't prevent you to play at long range.

And when the enemy team starts clearing a bit, go on the agressive and use your HP and armor to push.

The hardest part is the beginning of the match. You basically have to refrain yourself from pushing and going ahead, stay in the back and try to not be the first spotted.

• Cool 2

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,342 posts
4,206 battles
4 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

Play as a long range spammer, exactly like Donskoi previously.

That is exactly like I played Donskoi, and I loved that ship, for some reason I feel much more vulnerable and afraid to do roaming in Moskva. I was under the impression that those ships play massively different style and aren't even comparable - oh well, I guess I was influenced too much by the "research" I did on the forums.

Thank you for the input.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,197 posts
14,454 battles

A bit outdated but I believe most of it still applies.

• Cool 1

Players
4,085 posts
6,241 battles
3 minutes ago, Blixies said:

That is exactly like I played Donskoi, and I loved that ship, for some reason I feel much more vulnerable and afraid to do roaming in Moskva. I was under the impression that those ships play massively different style and aren't even comparable - oh well, I guess I was influenced too much by the "research" I did on the forums.

I think I have the same problem as you. Comparing our stats - my problem seems to be bigger tho. But I hear you, I loved each and every ship from the russian line (exeption was shchors) and now im struggeling. The recent buff made it easier to bow-tank with Moskva tho. I have already games with 3.2.....3.6 mil potential dmg. But I have the feeling, I cant influence the game the way im supposed to. And it shows in my results?

Recently I tried something else. I went to play more aggressive, since long range kiting can still sometimes devasted you. So I got as deep as I would with Chapayev f.e., near a cap, make sure, my team is relativly near and that I have island cover. Then I move around the island, shooting at anything I can get in range and cover the cap with radar. This has worked surprisingly well. I took a screen that match and if you look at the minimap, thats pretty much were ive been all game. I first used the small island at G/H 6/7 and then repositioned to the bigger one, where im still. But yea, im still looking for more advice on that ship myself.

shot-18_07.25_21_07.55-0219.thumb.jpg.c5d2b717b40bf81f27adcdde1d2976bb.jpg

• Cool 1

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,342 posts
4,206 battles
19 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

That video helped a whole lot! Thank you :) Gonna switch the faster acceleration mod for ruddershift. Thanks El2.

My captain build is as follows, any suggested changes?

Spoiler

image.png.4b7bc6c5c11eec07841124fa2439c15c.png

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,197 posts
14,454 battles
Just now, Blixies said:

Honestly I would switch FP with AFT but that's likely just personal preference (since I play CVs myself).

You can also switch EL and EM for DE if you want. Turrets turn fast enough and you really don't wanna give up PT.

• Cool 1

Players
4,085 posts
6,241 battles
5 minutes ago, Blixies said:

I have my Moskva skilled on AA - cuz if there is a Midway in the game, you are dead. Worst I got was ~60k in one hit? Game was over for me after 2 mins.

• Cool 1

[-HUN-]
Players
829 posts
8,477 battles

Well, I'm not the best in it but here are some tips:

What is your playstyle? You wanna excel at damage and own performance or you wanna support your team? Because you can choose a playstyle and you can adapt your gameplay to that.

If you wanna be cheeky, use it as a Donskoi. Use its speed and buy yourself a rudder. Go fast in the back, spam HE at ships that are NOT on fire and spam AP if they are already on 2 fires. If you get closer and you face only a few ships, you can burn them down as you want but if they show side, unleash Vodka-flavoured AP. This way you can have high damage output.

But if you are like me and you wanna be MANLY and support your team, here is how to do it: First, you have to know where the enemies will come from. Second, you find a nice rock that covers your side so you can show your face to only a few enemy ships and bowtank BB AP while you are first killing cruisers. This way you can support your capping DD and basically lock down a huge part of the map. You bow sit there, HE some BBs, then when your DD has smoked up, use radar, and both can kill enemy DD(s). Next, kill cruisers, next BBs. Anyone who wants this cap will have to attack you from front and you can obliterate them. If they outnumber you, you can go back behind the rock and go away. If they are dead you can move on. This way you won't have damage records but your DDs*edited*

Edited by NickMustaine
Inappropriate remarks
  • Cool 1

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,342 posts
4,206 battles
21 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

I got as deep as I would with Chapayev f.e., near a cap, make sure, my team is relativly near and that I have island cover. Then I move around the island, shooting at anything I can get in range and cover the cap with radar. This has worked surprisingly well.

This is basicaly what I meant with my play style so far - using island cover, getting close, and nose tanking.
As I said though, feels wrong with such fast... cruiser.

4 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

But if you are like me and you wanna be MANLY and support your team, here is how to do it: First, you have to know where the enemies will come from. Second, you find a nice rock that covers your side so you can show your face to only a few enemy ships and bowtank BB AP while you are first killing cruisers. This way you can support your capping DD and basically lock down a huge part of the map.

Well, I posted the first part of the comment just seconds before yours.... so there you have your answer, I guess I'm just manly by nature :D
And so is @ForlornSailor

• Cool 1

[UTW]
8,230 posts
6,768 battles

Getting close with one of the best artillery for long range sniping isn't a good idea... at all.

Nah, stay far, and close the distance in midgame to get your HP, armor and radar to work on the last enemy ships.

Players
28 posts
20,068 battles

people play the moskva like this; set shop near a cap point protecting your broadside with an island and bow tank with a possible way to retreat back to full cover. radar DDs near cap which is very boring if you ask me. not sure  it's effective or not. i play with her also as a roaming cruiser cause i hate sitting and going back and forth taking cover. if i enjoyed playing  like that i would be still playing world of tanks. I really hate game mechanics that promotes this kind of game play. it's basically world of tanks applied to ships. 

Moskva is a fast ship with good reach and  good ballistics. which makes her good at long range kiting and AP sniping anything (at some point you will get used to citing  for example FDGs from 19km) or HE spamming. you have excellent guns and being able to use all of them is very important if you ask me. when you are roaming you can check minimap and decide where to commit according to the info. but if let say you decide to a some specific position and bow tank there radar the cap etc. you wont know how effective it will be. shell velocity means you can reliably hit things from longer ranges while others cant and you should capitalize every advantage you have. 

Almost every game i start kiting but i find my self bow tanking after a period. cause lots of situation also demands that. but what i dont do is to assume a bow tanking position with the start. Moskva can tank ap but a zao can land 10 to 12 HE with every salvo on a sitting moskva.  

last note: shells are really fast but dispersion/sigma is wonky (or my aim is crap). 6 barrels are not enough to reliably hit targets like DDs. 

another thing is the selection of shell type. in zao, HIV, hindenburg you are pretty sure what type would be the best for the current range target and angle but in moskva especially against BBs things are a bit complicated. at least for me. and i blame not my self but the gun's dispersion.  

last last note. i tried stearing gear mod3 instead of concealment like in hinden. sadly it didnt help much.. dont try to HE dakka dakka all the time. asses the situation, mark a cruiser take position open up , land a few citas with the first salvo if she is still alive land some more damage then check the minimap go dark again. the thing is moskva is not a zao even a hinden. if you start to evade when the shells are in flight while showing a good angle. you might eat a cita. try to keep the angle before the shells leave the BBs barrels

[ONIX]
Players
1,091 posts
9,094 battles
1 hour ago, ShinGetsu said:

Don't bow tank. Only use that tactic at close range or when there are only a few enemies that can't really hurts you. Moskva goes 35 knots, use it as a roaming cruiser, by stuffing AP on broadside targets and HE on everything else. Play as a long range spammer, exactly like Donskoi previously. The terrible concealment doesn't prevent you to play at long range.

And when the enemy team starts clearing a bit, go on the agressive and use your HP and armor to push.

The hardest part is the beginning of the match. You basically have to refrain yourself from pushing and going ahead, stay in the back and try to not be the first spotted.

What he said.

Be specially careful with your early approach. You will be spotted pretty soon after leaving spawn. Your guns are brilliant (and they will be even more so with the Legendary Module) You are very tanky bow on but I rather move about because if you play static, you will be focused and you'll have a hard time disengaging.

Your radar is a trap early on. Duration is too short (so if your teammates do not help it will be mostly wasted) and you will need to get too close to the cap to your own good because you are huge and a juicy target. Save your hp, you can tank just about any ship in the game late in the match. Oh, and use the correct ammo depending on situation, AP is very very good and packs a punch.

Finally, be extremely careful not to show your broadside and if possible do it only in concealment (and preferably a few seconds after going into concealment just in case)  

Players
28 posts
20,068 battles

AP bombs... moskva is one of the most effective target for AP bombs sadly so def AA is a must you can think AFT too. i would suggest also DE instead of EM and 1 of 1 point skill

[UTW]
8,230 posts
6,768 battles
1 hour ago, Blixies said:

That video helped a whole lot! Thank you :) Gonna switch the faster acceleration mod for ruddershift. Thanks El2.

Hide contents

image.png.4b7bc6c5c11eec07841124fa2439c15c.png

I'd rather give up FP and JOAT to get DE and BoS, and remove EL for PM.

The turret need EM actually to keep up with the turn.

More dakka with AFT is also an option, but your best bet against CV isn't AFT, but timing your DAA activation properly.

Players
4,346 posts
7,746 battles

I run this setup, I've went with BoS both for Nikolai and Okt.Rev battleboats. Before Worcester Moskva used to have the longest DFAA at 8.2km, not that it did anything spectacular tho.

Przechwytywanie.png

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles
6 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Your Reimu avatar dancing to the music in the video distracts me more than it should.

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this